Gamecast - Episode 11 - "Mining for Internet Gold"

The anime/manga/forums podcast

Gamecast - Episode 11 - "Mining for Internet Gold"

Postby Link Antilles » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:52 am

In this show, we check out Sony's "Gamer's Day", investigate the WoW-Second Life-IRS connection, and see what's up with Korean Gaming!

Click here to get the show!

Enjoy!
Link Antilles

Postby Omega Amen » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:56 pm

Link... I do not see the new post on the webpage for Episode 11.

EDIT: Nevermind, the webpage has updated. Download the new Gamecast everybody, and tell us what you think!
Find me on Steam, PlayStation Network (OmegaAmen), Backloggery, Twitter, and Twitch.tv

I am also in the Christian gaming group, Tribe of Judah in the Christian Gamers Alliance.
Omega Amen

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:14 pm

Yay! Korean gaming! *cheers*
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:20 pm

An interesting episode overall. I have only one substansive comment, and it is concerning length. It is likely that lengthy podcasts will cause a reduction of listeners. Many individuals do not have schedules that allow for what would probably be a two hour time commitment. It would have been nearly impossible for me to listen to this one within the week if a professor hadn't happened to give me some busywork that I could do while listening.

However, I feel that you give adequate time to each topic and there isn't too much dead or wasted time. You are all generally saying worthwhile things about the subject at hand and it would not be good to truncate an interesting discussion. Also, I would hate for the show to lose its casual feel if it was tied to an agenda.

The solution that immediately occurs to me is to limit the number of discussion topics in each session, by planning or editing. Perhaps in your pre-session talk about what each of the hosts is most interested in. My preference overall would be to lessen the number of news-based items; most of your viewers will probably learn them from other sources. The parts I enjoy most are those that have deeper issues to discuss, particularly if the area of gaming relates to Christianity.
uc pseudonym

Postby Omega Amen » Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:36 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:An interesting episode overall. I have only one substansive comment, and it is concerning length. It is likely that lengthy podcasts will cause a reduction of listeners. Many individuals do not have schedules that allow for what would probably be a two hour time commitment. It would have been nearly impossible for me to listen to this one within the week if a professor hadn't happened to give me some busywork that I could do while listening.
When we recorded this complete episode, we were disappointed that we went above our usual 70 minute limit. But then, we felt we had to make up for our last episode being too short....

I am kidding there. Lame excuse.

I felt that the main culprit is the discussion of the Sony Gamer's Day event. There was a lot of information to go over and several items that needed some context given (not everyone who listens are hardcore gamers like the hosts).

Just for everyone's information, it should be noted that a typical video game discussion podcast usually lies between 1 to 1.5 hours. And usually, its hosts tend to talk a lot faster then we do.

That being said, we will always shoot for around an hour for the time being.

uc pseudonym wrote:However, I feel that you give adequate time to each topic and there isn't too much dead or wasted time. You are all generally saying worthwhile things about the subject at hand and it would not be good to truncate an interesting discussion. Also, I would hate for the show to lose its casual feel if it was tied to an agenda.
Thanks for saying we tend to say worthwhile things. We like to keep it casual since it is easier for us to handle since... well, we cannot see each other as we do the show.

uc pseudonym wrote:The solution that immediately occurs to me is to limit the number of discussion topics in each session, by planning or editing. Perhaps in your pre-session talk about what each of the hosts is most interested in.
We do meet beforehand to go over news items, brainstorm ideas, and come to a consensus on what should be on the show. So far the usual challenge has been to come up with material for the show rather then take stuff out. That is what makes this episode exceptional since we had to take out several other worthy items of discussion.

[quote="uc pseudonym"]My preference overall would be to lessen the number of news-based items]Usually, we tend to pick news items that leads to a meaty tangential discussion, and yes, the first method we use to stay within time constraints is to cut out news stories.

As for the topic of discussion segment, let me be a little honest for a moment. It is difficult to come up with topics for our second half discussion. That is probably the hardest part of our pre-production meetings (i.e. "What the heck are we going to talk about for the discussion?!"). And so far, most of the threads in the Gamers Galore section are not really suitable to an audible discussion format.

That is why we have always encouraged feedback from the listeners. Brainstorms tend to be better with more brains. However, we have a very silent audience so far. If you give us questions (heck, record it to MP3 and we will play it), suggested topics, etc., we will almost always put it into the show. And they do not have to be super serious stuff either. We can entertain the light-hearted and silly and play off of that.

One last note, you mentioned how gaming relates to Christianity as an area of interest. I do not know if you have listened to the earlier episodes, but the second half discussions in: episodes 1, 2, and 3 dealt with our analysis on the state of Christian Video Games; episode 6 dealt with references to elements of Christianity in video games; and episode 8 dealt with our impressions on the Left Behind video game demo.
Find me on Steam, PlayStation Network (OmegaAmen), Backloggery, Twitter, and Twitch.tv

I am also in the Christian gaming group, Tribe of Judah in the Christian Gamers Alliance.
Omega Amen

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:10 pm

Interesting. For whatever reason I had not perceived that finding topics was more difficult than limiting them.

Omega Amen wrote:Just for everyone's information, it should be noted that a typical video game discussion podcast usually lies between 1 to 1.5 hours. And usually, its hosts tend to talk a lot faster then we do.

I think it is good that you aim for 60 minutes, however. The hard core gaming audience is limited on CAA, so to pull in casual gamers it is probably good to not be as intense or extensive as the average.

Speaking faster wouldn't hurt. Unfortunately, there is not a switch that can make everyone do that.

Omega Amen wrote:One last note, you mentioned how gaming relates to Christianity as an area of interest. I do not know if you have listened to the earlier episodes, but the second half discussions in: episodes 1, 2, and 3 dealt with our analysis on the state of Christian Video Games]
I have listened to those. However, if I had not I would be grateful you mentioned them, because the episodes you mentioned were the discussions that were of particular interest to me.

Omega Amen wrote:That is why we have always encouraged feedback from the listeners. Brainstorms tend to be better with more brains. However, we have a very silent audience so far. If you give us questions (heck, record it to MP3 and we will play it), suggested topics, etc., we will almost always put it into the show. And they do not have to be super serious stuff either. We can entertain the light-hearted and silly and play off of that.

I will make a conscious effort to do what I can. Of course, to some degree I run into the same problem all of you do when thinking about interesting topics. Only two things occur to me immediately:

1) Spore. I think you've mentioned this some. However, what I find interesting about it is how Christians relate to it due to the evolution issue. Unfortunately, the discussion I would find most interesting regarding it would be theological in nature, but I decided to make this comment anyway.

2) Ark recently made a satiric comment about Uwe Boll being the director of the Halo movie. I think this is a potentially funny topic, if the gamecast staff has no problem making fun of Uwe Boll.
uc pseudonym

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:28 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing:

~ A top ten list of games with the OWNAGE, as I'm sure Omega and I aren't the only fans of the OWNAGE in games.

~ A discussion of your best and worst gaming moments

~ A list of your video game crushes [it worked for the other podcast]

~ A discussion of the "casual gamer" and their role in gaming. I'd actually like to get in on this one, being a casual gamer myself [my microphone is not yet ready to rock, but I hope to have it ready soon].

~ A discussion of the proper place for gaming in one's life. Is it healthy to be "hardcore"? Where do you draw the line? How much gaming swag is too much?

~ A discussion of the concept of gaming franchises as opposed to independent titles.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Omega Amen » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:14 pm

Wow, nice to see some suggestions. I can speak on behalf of the Gamecast crew that we really appreciate it.
uc pseudonym wrote:Spore. I think you've mentioned this some. However, what I find interesting about it is how Christians relate to it due to the evolution issue. Unfortunately, the discussion I would find most interesting regarding it would be theological in nature, but I decided to make this comment anyway.
If we were ever to play Spore (or a demo of it), I am sure we can come up with a decent discussion describing our general impressions and then speculate on what we think various reactions that a Christian might have to specific game aspects.

Of course, we could just deal with the genre of God-games themselves... though I do not think any of us really play them that much... especially Will Wright's work.
uc pseudonym wrote:2) Ark recently made a satiric comment about Uwe Boll being the director of the Halo movie. I think this is a potentially funny topic, if the gamecast staff has no problem making fun of Uwe Boll.
Oh, we love to make fun of a lot of people, including us. Most of the time we have to restrain ourselves mainly because we realize we represent CAA when we go "on the air."

That being said, Boll is fair game. That man deserves it.
Raiden no Kishi wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing:

~ A top ten list of games with the OWNAGE, as I'm sure Omega and I aren't the only fans of the OWNAGE in games.
VOID would be so proud of you.

We would first have to tackle the definition of OWNAGE... and what does it truly entail.
Raiden no Kishi wrote:~ A discussion of your best and worst gaming moments
I am trying to understand what exactly is a gaming moment....
Raiden no Kishi wrote:~ A list of your video game crushes [it worked for the other podcast]
*arches eyebrow and sips on some tea.*
Raiden no Kishi wrote:~ A discussion of the "casual gamer" and their role in gaming. I'd actually like to get in on this one, being a casual gamer myself [my microphone is not yet ready to rock, but I hope to have it ready soon].
They have a role?

Just kidding.
Raiden no Kishi wrote:~ A discussion of the proper place for gaming in one's life. Is it healthy to be "hardcore"? Where do you draw the line? How much gaming swag is too much?
Are you sure we should be the ones to answer that question?

I mean... especially Link. That kid when he... *shakes head and rolls eyes.*
Raiden no Kishi wrote:~ A discussion of the concept of gaming franchises as opposed to independent titles.
Define "independent title." Right now, I think you are referring to a game like ICO where there is never an intent to make a sequel set in that same game universe, but I am not sure that is what you mean.

Omega Amen

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:13 pm

"VOID would be so proud of you."
XD. V.O.I.D. is my hero. Coincidentally, how does one do the Flaming Palm of the Four Winds? After I lose enough weight to feel good shirtless, I may go to the beach with friends more often, and don't want to get caught off-guard by any giant crabs ~ ebven pretty ones with high polygon counts.

"We would first have to tackle the definition of OWNAGE... and what does it truly entail."
A worthy discussion in and of itself. ^_^ Perhaps also one I'd like to get in on, since my audio setup is satisfactory.

"I am trying to understand what exactly is a gaming moment..."
Just a memorable experience you had whilst gaming. For example, the intense "Oh CRAP" moment I had in Halo 2 where I was trying to be sneaky and instead focused an entire group of heavily-armed Covenant soldiers' attention on me.

[spoiler]For those that know, it was the fight between the Brutes and the Elites and Hunters. I was trying to be all cool and pick off the Hunters stealthily so I wouldn't have to fight them later. I pulled a Link and failed. XD[/spoiler]

"*arches eyebrow and sips on some tea.*"
Indeed. : : innocently evil grin : :

"They have a role?

Just kidding."
A-ha. A-ha-ha-ha-ha-snarky geek. ^_~

"Are you sure we should be the ones to answer that question?

I mean... especially Link. That kid when he... *shakes head and rolls eyes.*"
If you want reasons not to drink, go to an AA meeting, eh?

"Define "independent title." Right now, I think you are referring to a game like ICO where there is never an intent to make a sequel set in that same game universe, but I am not sure that is what you mean."
Essentially, yes. However, this would not include series like, say, Final Fantasy, which, while independent storylines [save for FFX+X-2 and the FFVII collection], maintain many alike elements, which still classify them as a franchise IMO. An "independent title" would be something like ICO or Psychonauts. Basically, the idea of doing individual projects [perhaps "individual" is a better term than "independent"?] as opposed to creating sagas like Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, etc.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:30 pm

On the subject of gaming moments, I have two initial thoughts. One is that you might want to ask (just in a thread, not formally) for people's favorite gaming moments so you can read them on the air. That way you might have a better selection. But I also have a word of caution: some things are only funny when they happen to you, not as stories. Choose wisely.

I feel as though I have amusing gaming moments, but I cannot recall them at the moment. If this is pursued I will do my best to contribute something.

Omega Amen wrote:Of course, we could just deal with the genre of God-games themselves... though I do not think any of us really play them that much... especially Will Wright's work.

Actually, that strikes me as an interesting discussion on its own. You could also address to what degree gaming is enacting fantasy or general wish fulfillment.

Omega Amen wrote:That being said, Boll is fair game. That man deserves it.

Has the next gamecast been scheduled? I would like to know the date. If possible, I may have a contribution on this subject. Don't consider that a promise, but I will make an attempt and if it is actually funny I'll PM one of you. Would such a PM be better given to Link or you?
uc pseudonym

Postby Link Antilles » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:31 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Has the next gamecast been scheduled? Would such a PM be better given to Link or you?

We record every other Saturday, so it'll be this Saturday. PM'ing either of us will work.
Link Antilles

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:13 pm

Alright. Fortunately, I felt inspired last night and finished what I intended. I'll PM you and we can discuss our path from there.
uc pseudonym

Postby kryptech » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:16 pm

Whew - made it to the end; finished the WoW music and all! Ya, because of the length it took me a while to sit down and finished this show. (That, and my evenings have been taken up with playing Far Cry which I got a couple weeks back - woot!)

Thanks for explaining achievement points, Link.

Oh, and I think I'll move to South Korea... ^_^
"Everybody's weird in their own special way." - P.V.
"Never refuse a breath mint." - my dad
"The UAC is making safer worlds through superior firepower." - Doom 3
"This world is a great sculptor's shop. We are the statues and there is a rumour going round the shop that some of us are some day going to come to life." - C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

"I'm too cool to scroll. -- MOES."
kryptech

Return to CAA Radio and Gamecasts