Ratings required

Calling all self-proclaimed mangaka!

Ratings required

Postby Ashley » Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:09 pm

After an excellent suggestion in the comment box, we the staff have come to the conclusion that we would like all threads in this forum to incorporate a system of ratings to help members know what to expect. The ratings are as follows:

Minimum age:

Violence: 1-10; 1 the least offensive, 10 most. Please also include the reasoning behind the rating as well.

Language: 1-10

Sexual Content: 1-10

Nudity (or skimpy outfits): 1-10

Bad Religion: magic, spells, etc. May also include any new age/counter-Christian philosophies, even if the series rebukes them.
1-10

Thank you very much! Those that have threads here already, please edit your first post to include this information.
Ashley

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:23 pm

Maybe you should add one for "ideas" or "philosophy". Off course a story doesn't need to have violence and swearing or nudity in it to be considered "dark". Some of the plot developments could be seen as dark and creepy, especially if it goes into some dark philosophical territory of the bad guys. Off course these motives of the badguys might be wrong but the philosophy could be very dark and it doesn't fit under either violence or magic. Just a thought.
bigsleepj

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:07 am

Actually, my interpretation of the "Bad Religion" category included objectionable philosophical content. If I'm wrong (and even if I am right) it is possible that your idea has some merit.
uc pseudonym

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:45 am

uc pseudonym wrote:Actually, my interpretation of the "Bad Religion" category included objectionable philosophical content...

Doh. You're right though - I should have thought of that but I just saw the examples quoted like "Spells, Magic, etc" and my brain missed a circuit. :grin:

Evil "no god" philosophies or moral relativism, even if the story counter-acts it, can be distressing and shocking - especially half-way through a story before a rebuttle is given of sorts.

If I'm wrong (and even if I am right) it is possible that your idea has some merit.

Thanks.
bigsleepj

Postby Ashley » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:48 am

How's that, BigSleepJ? I edited it a bit. ^^
Ashley

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:51 am

I'm happy, thanks.

bigsleepj

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:53 pm

Sorry for posting this again (I know I'm close to getting lynched probably) but does misuse of science by the badguys (genetic engineering, etc) fall under the bad religion category or should that be made into a category of its own such as "dark science" or something?

Just asking. :D
bigsleepj

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:22 am

bigsleepj wrote:Sorry for posting this again but does misuse of science by the badguys (genetic engineering, etc) fall under the bad religion category or should that be made into a category of its own such as "dark science" or something?

Just asking. :D

I think that it doesn't merit its own category, but that it should definitely be considered in the "Bad Religion" category. If use of science is disturbing, it is likely because the philosophies behind it are offensive to readers.

bigsleepj wrote:(I know I'm close to getting lynched probably)

If so, it would only be for posting that... thing.
uc pseudonym

Postby Gypsy » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:41 am

uc pseudonym wrote:If so, it would only be for posting that... thing.

Yeah ... *is totally creeped out* :sweat:
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby mai » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:08 am

What about a separate rating for alcohol/drug use and abuse?
My Website [online comic]

Do you find your self worried alot of the time about things that don't always make sense?

Are you experiencing any of these?
• Persistent feelings of sadness, irritability or anxiety
• Overreaction to irritations
• Loss of interest in activities previously enjoyed,
• Sleep too much, or sleep too little
• Unexpected loss or gain of weight
• Tiredness or restlessness
• Slowed movement, thought and/or speech
• Guilt, low self-esteem, feelings of worthlessness
• Inability to concentrate and poor memory
• Loss of motivation
• Feelings of hopelessness
• Suicidal thoughts and/or behavior
• Withdrawal from relationships, anti-social behavior
• Physical aches and pains that seem to have no other cause

If you have a few of the symptoms on this list, you may be suffering from a form of clinical depression there are many sites that offer advice and help.
mai

Postby bigsleepj » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:51 am

uc pseudonym wrote:If so, it would only be for posting that... thing.

Well I did a google search for smile and it threw it at me - I was mesmerized by its bizarre creepiness - I had to post it or my life would have been incomplete.
bigsleepj

Postby inkhana » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:49 pm

My thoughts on the whole thing - if there's an element to it that you think may offend people, mention it somewhere. There's no need for a category for every bad thing on the planet. Otherwise the form will take forever to fill out :/

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby That Dude » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:52 am

Would it be possible for me to post my "manga" Foreign Exchange here? I had it in the Art Corner but now that it's shut down I don't know where to put it.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:13 pm

That Dude wrote:Would it be possible for me to post my "manga" Foreign Exchange here? I had it in the Art Corner but now that it's shut down I don't know where to put it.

I don't think the moderators would complain about it. I mean, that's why this forum was created. ;)
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Gypsy » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:36 pm

Sure, go ahead.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby That Dude » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:38 pm

Neato. Thanks!
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:42 pm

ehh...the manga doesn't have to be christian right?
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby rocklobster » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:39 am

Does the theory of evolution count in the Bad religion category?
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Ashley » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:15 pm

ehh...the manga doesn't have to be christian right?

No, just please mark the sections that could be offensive.

Does the theory of evolution count in the Bad religion category?

Depends on how it's presented. You may want to just mention it in passing, unless it's some key-theorem on which the entire series is built or something. (Boy wouldn't that be interesting...)
Ashley

Postby jon_jinn » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:13 pm

Ashley wrote:No, just please mark the sections that could be offensive.

okay. whew that's a relief. i'm working on a manga right now that i am planing on putting on this site but i wasn't sure if i could since it's not really a christian manga.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby josh_manga » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:59 pm

Would this apply to the series as a whole, or a comic by comic rating?

I've been toying with the idea of having a wordless comic, based on a pair of twins who are conceived through a gang rape, shown through abstract imagery, more of the idea of a gang rape is portrayed, not the action itself, if that makes sense. A highly iconic series, as it would have to be, being wordless. Obviously the series as a whole would get a high rating on several of the criteria, but since I don't have the whole thing planned out I didn't know if a rating for separate issues might be better, since some issues might have nothing really objectional at all, kinda all depends...

Thoughts?
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
http://lunamothmusicalentity.bandcamp.com/ http://smithcreations.webs.com/ http://www.scytherpg.webs.com/
Take off every sig, for great justice!
God bless us, everyone.
j.smith.
josh_manga

Postby Mave » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:32 pm

I would imagine you could have a general rating (i.e. apply to the series as a whole) and special mentions for certain sections if necessary. If one of my chapters has something more "serious" than usual, I would label it on that specific chapter. Something like "Note: Includes violence scene/mature topic"

Some ppl may laugh but oh well, I think that's the best I can do.

Btw, my word is not law so I'd rather have a mod confirm this.
Mave

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:16 pm

Our word isn't law either, actually. But what you said strikes me as fundamentally correct. Use the ratings to try to give people a solid idea of what to expect, but no one is going to grade you for accuracy.
uc pseudonym

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:49 pm

To add a bit to this, we tend to rather people post a review after the series is completed. If it's all the same, it might be easier for you (and less potentially surprising in the long run) if you did.

That being said, the point of the above request is to prevent out-of-left-field stuff later on. If you *are* planning the whole thing, it may not exactly be an issue.
Mithrandir

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:20 pm

No. But please do give a warning beforehand in case somebody might not enjoy vampires and such.
Mr. SmartyPants

Return to Webmanga/comics