May 18, 2009

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

May 18, 2009

Postby Rev. Doc » Mon May 18, 2009 5:10 am

Treasures In Heaven

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
Matthew 6:19-21

Joseph J. Mazzella writes:
I stopped at a local convenience store the other day to fill up my gas tank before heading back home. After pumping the gas I headed in, grabbed a pack of gum, and got in line to pay. In the front of the line was a tired looking woman, holding a toddler in her arms. Behind her and just in front of me was an older man with white hair and a white shirt. He smiled kindly at me and patiently waited while the woman struggled to hold her child while she counted out change with her free hand. She searched twice in her pocket book but still didn’t have enough money to pay for the two gallons of milk she had brought to the counter. I could see her lips tremble and her eyes moisten as she apologized and picked up one of the gallons to take back.

It was then that the older man stopped her. With a gentle smile he told the cashier that he would pay for the milk. The look of relief on the poor woman’s face touched my heart. She thanked the older man while he smiled again and said not to worry about it. As she exited the store I could see that her eyes were still moist, but this time the tears were for a different reason. As he paid for her milk and his own items the white haired angel in disguise smiled at me one last time. Then as he was walking out of the store he gave me a wink and said, "You can’t take it with you, you know."

What he said is true. You won’t need any pockets for the clothes you are buried in. Every dime you have made in this world has only been a loan for you to use for a short time. Still, there are a few things that the white haired gentleman and all of us will be taking with us when we do go to our final home. Every look of relief that we bring to another will go with us as will every bit of love we share and kindness we do. Every moment of learning and joy will come with us as well. And every smile that we bring to God’s face will be waiting for us when we get there.

"Where your pleasure is, there is your treasure;
where your treasure is, there is your heart;
where your heart is, there is your happiness."
~Augustine
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby ADXC » Mon May 18, 2009 7:50 pm

That was a good devotional. I especially liked the story.

It makes one think was God using the old man as a witness to the lady? Even though he may never have said anything to her of that nature, people will see Christ in you by the way you act.
ADXC

Return to Devotional Readings