BRG: John

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

BRG: John

Postby Kunoichi » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:49 am

alright guys this is for John 1-3 if you haven't read it or if you have read up to John 4....*smile

John Chapter 1

The first impression I got was really about the author and who he was. Clearly an ornate writer, John, really beautifully describes who Jesus was and is. And he kept using a single description in the beginning calling Jesus "The Word". I found this striking as because it isn't A word but THE WORD.

The second impression was you started to see the personalities of the disciples. Phillip mocking Nazareth (showing his judgemental character) without even knowing the Christ. Simon who would be called Cephas (peter) meaning the Rock. This would already show that Christ knew his stubborness and how he would show to be a hot head from time to tome (think of Gesthemane when he sliced off the soldier's ear).

Chapter 2

I found thie miracle of the wine interesting for more than one reason. But one was the relationship change you see with Jesus' mother, Mary. He says to her "Dear Woman" or woman, "it is not yet my time." He knew that this miracle would eventually get around and start the process of his ministry. Knowing this, he still showed compassion and a type of obedience to his earthly parent by fulfilling this request. I say compassion because in a wedding ceremony it would have been a great embarrassment for the bridegroom to run out of wine.

Another interesting point: How come painters don't show a painting of Jesus smiling like he would have been in this wedding? Just a thought..

Two other points that were interesting:

1. In the temple, alot of people misinterpert Jesus' passion as rage. He was merely getting the cheaters and swinders out of the temple because they had turned the Temple of God into a marketplace and a way to get rich. Just goes to show ya what Jesus thinks of swindlers

2. It mentions that many people began to trust Jesus however, Jesus DIDN"T trust them. Because he knew the nature of mankind.

I like this verse because people always try to argue that man is inheritently good...NOT!

Chapter 3

A couple things I get from this chapter:

1. Nicodemus and Jesus' exchange. SUch a highly respected leader as Nicodemus should know what the scriptures teach...however it just shows you how little the religious leaders of that time truly read and followed scripture.

2. The disciples and John the Baptist. The disciples were getting irritated that Jesus was gaining more disciples for baptism than John. (Envious and Jealous would be the word) HOwever John kept the spirit of a servant and explained how this was a great thing! For whatever reason this hit me pretty hard. I thought that was an awesome attitude that John the Baptist displayed
I am on the forefront of battle against the demons of earth. All Praise and Glory be given to God Forever and Ever!

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:
Kunoichi

Postby rocklobster » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:07 am

I too am always amazed at how humble John the Baptist was. Perhaps we should all use this as a model so that we realize that we don't need to always be in the spotlight.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Kunoichi » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:44 am

John 4 Posting for Thursday and Friday ^_^

So Some points to pick out in John chapter 4 that I have noticed

When he talks to the Samaritan women, this and in itself is significant, since no respected Jew ever associated with them. They were dubbed as "unclean". She is kind to him, by offering water and is obviously spiritually thirsty.

When the disciples came, they were at first indignant. "Why are you talking to HER?" I could just hear the disdain and taunt in there voice. Jesus responds how he is not hungry because he is overjoyed to do his Father's work. Have you ever felt so much drive and joy at what your doing that you are not even paying attention to food and water?

When Jesus' arrives in Galilee, they only welcome him to do signs and wonders. They are believing that he is a prophet and healer but not the son of God.
I am on the forefront of battle against the demons of earth. All Praise and Glory be given to God Forever and Ever!

Kunoichi

Postby Kamille » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:38 pm

God revealed two big points to me recently in John 4:

From 4:37-38, many people have to hear the Gospel many times and from many different people before they believe in Jesus. The Samaritans here knew of the prophets who foretold of the coming of the Lord, and they may have even heard from John the Baptist about the Christ. Now here Jesus Himself planted seed into their hearts and because of all this the disciples were about to walk into a harvest field ready to be reaped. They would get to see people come to the Lord, but it was the people who came before them who labored. This speaks to my situation now because I am currently the only one in my immediate family that believes in Jesus as my Lord and Savior and this reminds me to seek the help of fellow believers to speak the Gospel to my family. It helps to know that I shouldn't do this alone.

Also, from 4:39, a simple and to-the-point testimony can bring others to Christ. All the Samaritan woman said was "He told me everything I ever did.", and because of that many of her people believed in the Lord Jesus. I think that's a great encouragement to all believers. Another encouragement is that God uses various means to draw the lost to Himself. So even though the woman's testimony wasn't enough for many of the Samaritans, they finally believed in Him when they heard from Him directly (4:40-42).
"Lives are power." - Kamille Bidan
"I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?" - Christ the Lord (John 11:25-26)

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. - James 1:2-4.

Remember - the Lord will be with you - always. :)
Kamille

Postby Amzi Live » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:15 am

The part I liked the best in Chapter 4 was the part with the Samaritan Woman.
I totally love this verse:
23Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. 24God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth."
I like the topic of worship,and Jesus practically explains what worship is in these verses.It's like to worship God you gotta live out a life that brings glory to him.So worship isn't restricted to worship services at church.
[font="Arial Narrow"] Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name. Psalm86:11[/font]
Proud lurker? Join MOES,and help us stay cool.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amzi Live

Postby Kunoichi » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:27 am

Amzi Live (post: 1243915) wrote:The part I liked the best in Chapter 4 was the part with the Samaritan Woman.
I totally love this verse:
23Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. 24God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth."
I like the topic of worship,and Jesus practically explains what worship is in these verses.It's like to worship God you gotta live out a life that brings glory to him.So worship isn't restricted to worship services at church.

QFT. I think that is the point tho ya know? That worship is not meant to be confined to just church. That we should worship with everything we have.

Kunoichi

Postby Kunoichi » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:29 am

Kamille (post: 1243792) wrote:God revealed two big points to me recently in John 4:

From 4:37-38, many people have to hear the Gospel many times and from many different people before they believe in Jesus. The Samaritans here knew of the prophets who foretold of the coming of the Lord, and they may have even heard from John the Baptist about the Christ. Now here Jesus Himself planted seed into their hearts and because of all this the disciples were about to walk into a harvest field ready to be reaped. They would get to see people come to the Lord, but it was the people who came before them who labored. This speaks to my situation now because I am currently the only one in my immediate family that believes in Jesus as my Lord and Savior and this reminds me to seek the help of fellow believers to speak the Gospel to my family. It helps to know that I shouldn't do this alone.

Also, from 4:39, a simple and to-the-point testimony can bring others to Christ. All the Samaritan woman said was "He told me everything I ever did.", and because of that many of her people believed in the Lord Jesus. I think that's a great encouragement to all believers. Another encouragement is that God uses various means to draw the lost to Himself. So even though the woman's testimony wasn't enough for many of the Samaritans, they finally believed in Him when they heard from Him directly (4:40-42).

Well I think that the other point about the "simple" testimony is you do not have to be an ornate speaker to bring others to Christ. You simply need to share your heart and be in truth about it.

Kunoichi

Postby ClosetOtaku » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:20 am

Something to note about the interchange between Jesus and the Woman.

Of course, they are talking at different planes -- the woman thinks Jesus is speaking of well water. Jesus is talking about salvation, the "water" of life.

Now, although the woman is still in an 'earthly' state of mind, she asks for the living water -- so that she doesn't have to keep walking back to that darn well.

What is Jesus' response?

"Go, call your husband."

Jesus meets us where we are at, at that moment, without waiting for us to 'get the picture' or 'get holy first'. He meets her there -- but He won't give her the water until she understands the nature of sin in her life.

Still, this sinful woman, whose mind is focused on mundane issues concerning the daily drawing of water, this untouchable in the Jewish community who the Pharisees -- and most Jews, for that matter -- would not even give the time of day -- it is to this woman that Jesus reveals Himself to be the Messiah.

She's done nothing. She's not renounced her way of life yet. She still is steeped in sin. She knows only that a Messiah is coming, and this man before her is some sort of Prophet.

Jesus meets us where we are, and does not ask us to clean up our lives before He'll introduce Himself to us. Yes, if we would be His disciple, there is a stern road of discipline ahead -- but He won't turn His back on a sinner in need of water without an introduction.

Do we have the same attitude towards the unsaved? Or are we waiting for them to clean up their lives before we think they are 'worthy' to be introduced to Jesus?
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby MBlight » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:31 am

21Jesus said to her, Woman, believe Me, a time is coming when you will worship the Father neither [merely] in this mountain nor [merely] in Jerusalem.

22You [Samaritans] do not know what you are worshiping [you worship what you do not comprehend]. We do know what we are worshiping [we worship what we have knowledge of and understand], for [after all] salvation comes from [among] the Jews.

23A time will come, however, indeed it is already here, when the true (genuine) worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth (reality); for the Father is seeking just such people as these as His worshipers.

Worship has always been a big part of my life. I'm not a very good public speaker, I don't really grab people's attention when I speak with them, but I know that worship is a powerful way of drawing people into the presence of God and this has driven me passionately to be a worship leader at first our youth group and now our cell group. Although, like you guys have said before me, worship is not just a few songs you sing, it is the way you live. These verses really cemented that into my heart, bringing the desire back to "comprehend" WHO I am worshipping and bringing Him the honour and glory he deserves in my every action. I love it!

It's also really powerful how Jesus says that "But the water that I will give him shall become a spring of water welling up (flowing, bubbling) [continually] within him unto (into, for) eternal life." in verse 14. Once He's touched us we've been left with a "forever" consequence. That water is ALWAYS there, it's really sad how so many people are deceived by Satan in thinking that our passion has dried up, our Living Water has been depleted.

39Now numerous Samaritans from that town believed in and trusted in Him because of what the woman said when she declared and testified, He told me everything that I ever did.

it's amazing that such a simple testimony had such a HUGE effect!!!
I am a Rat Activist!

My Blog: http://mhitchens.wordpress.com

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Proud member of MOES!
MBlight

Postby Kunoichi » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:37 am

Great point Mblight!

Okay guys I'm taking a break cuz its Sunday ^_^

So John 5 for Monday and Tuesday ^_^

Kunoichi

Postby Amzi Live » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:37 pm

MBlight (post: 1244443) wrote:Worship has always been a big part of my life. I'm not a very good public speaker, I don't really grab people's attention when I speak with them, but I know that worship is a powerful way of drawing people into the presence of God and this has driven me passionately to be a worship leader at first our youth group and now our cell group. Although, like you guys have said before me, worship is not just a few songs you sing, it is the way you live. These verses really cemented that into my heart, bringing the desire back to "comprehend" WHO I am worshipping and bringing Him the honour and glory he deserves in my every action. I love it!

It's also really powerful how Jesus says that "But the water that I will give him shall become a spring of water welling up (flowing, bubbling) [continually] within him unto (into, for) eternal life." in verse 14. Once He's touched us we've been left with a "forever" consequence. That water is ALWAYS there, it's really sad how so many people are deceived by Satan in thinking that our passion has dried up, our Living Water has been depleted.

it's amazing that such a simple testimony had such a HUGE effect!!!

Awesome!
Do you sing or play an instrument?
Sorry If I'm getting out of the subject a little bit.
[font="Arial Narrow"] Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name. Psalm86:11[/font]
Proud lurker? Join MOES,and help us stay cool.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amzi Live

Postby MBlight » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:14 pm

Amzi Live (post: 1244503) wrote:Awesome!
Do you sing or play an instrument?
Sorry If I'm getting out of the subject a little bit.

I do! I play guitar (altho not as proficiently as my bro) and also sing... I looooove music!!!:dance:
I am a Rat Activist!

Proud member of MOES!
MBlight

Postby MBlight » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:50 am

Hey guys!

I know I'm double posting here a bit!:sweat:

I just want to apologize for not yet posting on here about the next chapters. I'm currently busy with a 4 week program at my church that runs during all weeday evenings. As I work full time I don't have much time on my hands right now but I'll post over weekends if you don't mind that too much.
I am a Rat Activist!

Proud member of MOES!
MBlight

Postby Kamille » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:43 pm

Yeah, I'm probably not going to be able to post except on the weekends either. But I love all the participation so far. The only clarification I have was from the first post. Peter was definitely stubborn, but he was also the rock on which Jesus would build His church. But that's not from John, it's from Matthew (Matthew 16:18).
"Lives are power." - Kamille Bidan
"I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?" - Christ the Lord (John 11:25-26)

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. - James 1:2-4.

Remember - the Lord will be with you - always. :)
Kamille

Postby Kunoichi » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:50 pm

I don't mind at all because I am dealing with some sickness (either from anxiety at the possibility of being pregnant or being pregnant lol so bear with me as I wait until I'm up to par ^_^ if anyone wants to continue the chapter however, be my guest ^_^

Kunoichi

Return to Devotional Readings