May 9, 2007

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

May 9, 2007

Postby Rev. Doc » Wed May 09, 2007 5:06 am

Quittin

"if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
2 Chronicles 7:14

Sam Jones was a preacher who held revival services, which he called "quittin' meetings." His preaching was directed primarily to Christians, and he urged them to give up the sinful practices in their lives. Sam's messages were very effective, and many people promised to quit swearing, drinking, smoking, lying, gossiping, or anything else that was displeasing to the Lord.

On one occasion Jones asked a woman, "Just what is it that you're quittin'?" She replied, "I'm guilty of not doing something -- and I'm going to quit doing that too!" Even though she had no bad habits to give up, she wasn't actively living to please God.

Prayer: Ask the Lord to help you address those areas of your life, that are not pleasing to Him.

"And the longer you delay, the more your sin gets strength and rooting. If you cannot bend a twig, how will you be able to bend it when it is a tree?"
~Richard Baxter
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Return to Devotional Readings