Angelic Layer: Anime vs. Manga

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Angelic Layer: Anime vs. Manga

Postby BrianC » Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:08 pm

I read all five volumes of Tokyopop's Angelic Layer manga and I loved it. I'm thinking of checking out the anime when ADV releases it, but I'm worried about it being too much like the manga since it has about as many episodes as the manga has chapters. How different is the anime from the manga? Is the anime worth seeing if you have read all of the manga?
"Your sense of fashion, Roger, really reeks"-Dorothy, Big O
BrianC

Postby Aibou » Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:58 am

I think you should check out this topic at animenation, since I haven't read the manga, but I checked summaries for it on I-net.
Most people who have read the manga and seen the anime, say that the anime is better.
//HBNU Creations// - Webmanga in the works!
//My DeviantArt// - Check my art ;D
//Everlasting// - My LiveJournal.
Aibou

Postby kriz182 » Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:33 am

Most people who have read the manga and seen the anime, say that the anime is better.

hmm idunno about that, but i always like manga better than anime on avary titles i've seen...
We talk about hate more than we talk about love...
How can the world be a better place?
kriz182

Postby Christianotaku » Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:40 am

Nah the anime is better. In the manga its hard to read the actions but the fight scenes in the anime are majorly cool. :dance:
thats the way i see it
wesley useche aka. DJWeslo Thevidgod Christianotaku

oh really hehe knives hmhm
*starts burning down the board*
Christianotaku

Postby BrianC » Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:15 am

I actually enjoyed the fight scenes in the manga. There is a section that tells you what the action words mean and I didn't find the scenes confusing at all. I enjoyed the manga quite a bit too. However, it does sound like the anime might be better. Those posts from that message board site weren't helpful at all, though. As someone who enjoyed the manga quite a bit, the last thing I want to see is posts that say "oh, the manga is so lame, I liked the anime much better". I want to know more information on why the anime is better and the actual anime/manga differences.
BrianC

Postby Gypsy » Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:57 am

Ooh, glad you asked! I have the subbed anime and all the manga, and there are some differences (mostly towards the end of the series). I see the anime as an in-depth view of the manga. You get the inside story of the other deuses. Like, why Kaede is so sweet, why Sai is so reserved and confident, why Madoka is deep down a truly cool person (she's my fav deus if you can't tell), and why Alice is such a turd. Also, the fun minor characters, like Ringo and Tamayo get more of a spotlight and only make the story more colorful. As you can imagine, with so many battles, the animators would use the same scene every time for Hikaru's Layer entry. The animation is great, and the characters are all true to the manga. I'm afraid if I tell you some of the major differences, that it'll ruin something in the story for you. But you'll see what I mean . . .

Here's kinda a fun (and really short) quiz. I got my fav Angel, actually.

Which Angel Are You?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby BrianC » Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:44 am

wow. I think I might check the anime out when ADV releases it. I hope the same group that dubbed Princess Nine dubs it. I would like Icchan to be voiced by the guy who did coach Kido.

I tried the quiz and I got Hikaru. Yes!
BrianC

Postby Gypsy » Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:42 am

Yeah, you're right, that voice would fit him very well. I get a kick out of hearing certain dubbed voices in anime and recognizing them from Princess Nine. I had no idea that they re-used so much of the voice cast. I'm not complaining at all, though.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews