Neon Genesis Evangelion

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Postby Straylight » Sat May 31, 2003 2:44 am

TITLE: Neon Genesis Evangelion
TYPE: Sci-Fi/Mecha

SERIES PREVIEW: The first episode sees the futuristic city of Tokyo-3 come under attack from a large alien entity know as an "Angel". A young boy, Shinji, is taken to the secret government organisation NERV, where he is told to battle the Angel in a huge mecha robot (Evangelion). The entire series focuses around three 14 year old children (Shinji, Asuka, and Rei) who are given the massive task of defending Earth against the invading Angels. This anime has earned widespread popularity, mainly because of the multi-layered storyline. The character development is very strong, as are the artwork and soundtrack.

MY TAKE: This was the first anime I watched so I apologise if this review is slightly jaded. After I saw Evangelion, I wanted more anime... that gives you an idea of how highly I rate this series. There is Christian symbolism running throughout the show, however being a Japanese production this doesn't entirely agree with my beliefs. Nevertheless, the main character, Shinji, is one who we can all relate too. He is apathetic and depressed, and during the series we see him gradually deteriorate, as he is charged with the massive task of saving the world. There isn't nearly enough space to talk about the characters here... they are extremely complex, and this is the main selling point of the series. If anything, the series explores the mechanisms of human emotion. There are also themes of friendship and sacrifice. Where characters do things that are wrong, it is not glorified, the error is due to weakness and this is made extremely clear.

WARNINGS: The Evangelions are bio-mechanical robots, and therefore bleed when they become injured. My main warning would be the somewhat violent content. There are moments where characters don't wear anything, however nothing is seen. Also, sexual themes are implied in a few episodes. The snipped version on the Sci-fi channel had all this cut out, bringing the rating down to PG. Without the snippings, I'd say this anime requires at least a 12 rating, and a 15 rating for the "End of Evangelion" movies. Not for children. (Most kids won't understand this series anyway - I'm 18 and I had a hard time understanding this series at first)

RATING: 9/10 - A truly excellent anime that falls down slightly because of its somewhat graphic nature in parts.
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Stephen » Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:03 pm

My one issue with this anime...is the freaky messed up ending. I was reading in an Aniamerica I belive...(correct me if I am wrong Gypsy) And I read all about there odd ending. This was the japanese version I belive. Involving someone raping a dead girl...some monster on a cross flying around...and other crap. So I have not watched, nor do I plan on ever watching this anime...just my 2 cents.
Stephen

Postby Straylight » Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:45 pm

Yes the "end of Evangelion" movies are kinda freaky and messed up.. thus the 15 rating, however they're not part of the original story. They offer an alternative ending... one which I'd be iffy about reccommending on this forum.

If you watch the original tv series, things are as described in the review above. Even better if you watch it on the sci-fi channel.
[align=center]
Straylight

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:57 pm

I didn't know it aired on Sci-Fi...I rented the subbed videos from my local comic/anime store. So. I saw the uncut stuff. Which in my opinion wasn't as bad as it could have been. But yeah, a few things did disturb me. Anyway I've read more of the manga than I've seen of the anime. The manga is pretty good...it's even more character-oriented than the anime, but there's still some "themes" in it. Some nudity. Also there are...a lot of strange things that seem kinda Christian but...are kinda iffy. But, for the most part I like this series too.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby LorentzForce » Mon Jun 02, 2003 5:56 am

1. Angels aren't aliens.
2. They aren't quite Chrisian yet; i don't think i ever saw Lilith in the NIV bible, the one i use. Lilith, if i remember, is from the Jewish bible, or something like that. the supposed wife before Eve, the one who betrayed and became a Fallen. so it's quite safe to assume she's now in hell. probably.

i urge to visit this site;

http://www.mdwigs.tk

this guy knows what he's talking about. if you have questions, i strongly recommend you ask him. i learnt from him too :)

[edit]

EoE is actually what's physically happening to the Evangelion world in the end. it's perfectly accepted into the original story, because EoE itself is part of it.

a girl being raped did not exist in the movie. maybe in the director's cut, but that would be Mature Audience 15+ only.
LorentzForce

Postby Straylight » Mon Jun 02, 2003 7:32 am

Thanks for clearing that up Lorentz - you did a better job than me ^^
[align=center]
Straylight

Postby LorentzForce » Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:15 am

no worries :)
LorentzForce

Postby Stephen » Sat Jun 07, 2003 10:32 pm

"a girl being raped did not exist in the movie"

Whoops my bad, some dude masturbating over her comatose body....thats all good.:rolls_eye Have a look at this link here...http://www.abcb.com/eva/eoe_apga.htm

The TV show...maybe nothing too horrible...the movie, you must have left the room or something...Now yes a hacked up TV version might be good...but I still would give this anime a bad review...Its pretty screwed up....have I seen the full thing? Nope. Will I ever? Nope. I have read plenty about it from numerous magazines and online reviews. As far as the whole monster on a cross...that was not even touched on that site....I read about 3 pages on that in Aniamerica. Go ahead and take a look at that link...seems the offical movie based of the show is what had all the freaky stuff...I guess if this kinda stuff is your thing...go for it...:eyebrow:

Also, there is a review of the series on this site as well
http://www.abcb.com/eva/eva_apga.htm
Stephen

Postby Ashley » Sat Jun 07, 2003 10:39 pm

I'm with Steve all the way on this one. And yes, I was going to cite that link too; I turn to the Anime Cafe for most of my reviews and they are an excellent site.
It sounds like there is some pretty messed up stuff in the movie...I don't know about the TV show. The reviews I've read for the series have meantioned everything from buckets of blood to a sex scene...and I'm sorry, but as cool as the animation is I would not want to stand before God and try to reason with Him that I was not paying attention to anything else but how fluidly the mecha moved. The movie I won't even touch...it sounds twisted, sick and I know my limits. Besides, I am very very adament about their "unique" view of Judaic-Christian elements. Fantasy is okay, but when you start mixing in truth and twisting it...it gets ugly fast.
So, I would say stay away from this as much as possible. IMO, there is just too much wrong with it to justify. And I would have gotten to this thread sooner but I had some other things that demanded my time.

* note I haven't seen this series either, but I'm not going to either.
Ashley

Postby Psycho Ann » Sun Jun 08, 2003 12:56 pm

I watched all the episodes plus the movies (to the exception of Death and Rebirth which is essentially a recap anyway) and yeah, I'd agree watching for the sake of good graphics and deep characters aren't worth it. I WAS a NGE fan years ago so this is my take now.

The first few episodes are nice; action and humor, but when the series deepens and you start to get a clue on just what the heck they're doing you get the sense of "something's not right".

EoE leaves you baffled, angsty, and depressed. Sure it's dramatic and one can always "praise" the details but I don't think God would want His children depressed and confused--maybe even slightly "stumbled".

I'd like to think there's also a reason why He doesn't want us to see these things; what parent would want their kids to be all mopey and stuff? He would rather you laugh and learn something worthwhile :grin:

Great anime in graphics, plot, and character development. Bad anime if you want to leave feeling good after watching it.
-Psalm 27:1-
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.
Cognatio- Online Christian Manga Exchange

"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
Psycho Ann

Postby Straylight » Sun Jun 08, 2003 3:06 pm

I like what the Anime Cafe have put at the end of the review:

I am writing this in hope that people will watch this movie. There are 2 types of people. Those who hate EoE and those who love EoE. The above review was written by someone who hates EoE. I simply love it. The movie is very mental and deals with fear, hope, lonelieness, and how insignificent everyone is. It is a true masterpiece that will leave you thinking for DAYS. I suggest everyone to watch it evenm if you havn't seen the series.

Sticking to topic this movie is NOT for kids. As stated it deals with hoplessness and fears and such. It is also very violent and contains a heavy amount of nudity. Besides kids won't understand it at all. I don't even understand it.
[align=center]
Straylight

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Jun 08, 2003 3:12 pm

Well, I dunno what to say about this, guys. But let's not let this escalate into a conflict. Just agree to disagree ne? There are more important things to worry about, and I believe that both points of view have been well expressed in this thread. If you don't want to see it or if God is telling you not to see it, then -don't-. But if you do, be careful and be on your guard, I suppose.

::jumps down from soapbox and scurries away::
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Stephen » Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:24 pm

No conflict....but its cool your being an alert little mod...:thumb: Hey noz, wanna go to get a snow cone? (gotta be a freakazoid fan to get that):grin:
Stephen

Postby MillyFan » Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:54 pm

First, let me say that I am NOT planning on ever watching the EoE movie.

I'll give djnoz the benefit of the doubt since he's from England and IIRC a lot of rape/similar scenes like that horrible necrophiliac scene at the end of EoE are edited from anime that's sold in England (like the British release of "The Wings of Honnemiase" had an implied rape scene cut out so it could be sold there lawfully)

However, I may watch the series sometime, and while the content is indeed a serious question (mostly because of the use of Christian and Jewish concepts as things to be mocked, also because of the Misato/Kaji sex scene that is as far as implication can go, I mean, the noises and all. . .)

:rant: I personally don't agree with the idea that being serious/depressing/heavy somehow means that something is bad. Now, if you're irresponsible enough to really take something like that to heart and go out and commit suicide or something, yeah, it would be-but then you have deeper problems than anime. You need mental health care and to take responsibility for your life. However, if you're normal and just think about something for a little while then go on with your life, I see no problem in watching something that isn't all smiles and laughs.

Just my opinion though.
:angel:

Thanks to doukeshi03 from otakuboards for the banner!

First, Ban all the Trolls. . . :bootout:

Hey, whatever happened to "thou shalt not steal" anyway?

Guess which bishounen is my avatar.
MillyFan

Postby Stephen » Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:08 pm

Gives Millyfan a huge cookie...all for herself..Then gives her a big highfive. :jump:
Stephen

Postby MillyFan » Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:12 pm

LOL, hehehe.

:thumb:

Anyway, thanks. -^.^-

(yeah, I know this post is spammish. lol)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MillyFan

Postby Stephen » Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:36 pm

ROFL...that reminds me of a pic I did in photoshop once...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stephen

Postby MillyFan » Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:30 am

LOL!!!

(why do I think this thread has gone off topic? Another one derailed by me, LOL)

By the way, the pic I posted wasn't my own work. I wish it was, but it was one I found online in a Google image search for "spam" I did a while back to find a spam can to post in a thread at ChristianForums which I considered genuine spam.

The following pic isn't my own work either, just another one from my extensive files. If I see anything online I like, I save it, LOL!

MillyFan

Postby Straylight » Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:19 am

hehe, i just saved that elf picture to my hard disk.
that's a good'un
[align=center]
Straylight

Postby Lightbringer » Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:27 am

I dont know about you but i prefure to eat elves fresh. Canned elf is yucky.:drool:

Lightbringer // Aaron
Lightbringer // Aaron

Image Image
Join up! Darklight-The Chronicles of Tairis epic RPG
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=5233
Lightbringer

Postby inkhana » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:29 pm

WAH HA HA HA! Oh Ashley, cover your ears...

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Spencer » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:41 pm

Canned elf...Yuck.
Fresh elf...Yuck.
Mango...Delicious!

Why eat elf...When you can have a nice, ripe mango! Shipped straight from...erm...Brazil! Come to Senor Spencer's Mango hut, and get yourself one today!

Plus tax, shipping and handling, some restrictions apply

Yes, I realize that was completely off topic, but I am bored out of my skull.
:)
Spencer

Postby LorentzForce » Sat Jun 14, 2003 3:04 am

back to topic -_-;

well, it's people's choice to see Evangelion or not.

though i must say, never, EVER see EoE unless you've seen the series AND know all aspects of the series story.

even in the director's cut version of EoE, i don't think i ever saw a person or anything else in that matter raping another. only thing that comes next to that is Shinji masturbating. which itself means a lot to the story, but does confuse you to no end and makes you believe the entire movie is pointless as such if you don't know the 'reason' of it in the first place.

the movie is different everytime the person watches it. there are so many little things that confuses you, yet some makes you go 'OH! so that's why...', at the same time 'now why was i thinking like that?'. EoE is just that.

in fact, the religious symbols in there is just to spice it up. mainly, it's psychology that's the major of it. for example, you might someday notice that the map layout of Nerv HQ is actually the map of the human brain. they are mainly on about human relationship. why people hate each other, yet love another. why oh why oh why.

NGE isn't quite good for a christian. but there's a saying; 'In order to kill the tiger, you must first enter its den'.

just in this case, there are way, WAY too many tigers...
LorentzForce

Postby Stephen » Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:15 am

I just don't see the need to enter the den at all. I think there is first...way too much nastyness to even begin to jusitfy the movie...the movie gets an offical poop vote from CAA. The series...I guess there is nothing to horrible in it....I think this is one of those things that was made to mock Christiainty....but sadly, Christians have tryed to embrace it as there own. It is a sick twisted anime....One that sadly, will not be smiled on at CAA. Sorry...Everyone has the right to be a fan of whatever they want....but please...lets not advertise such an anime. Ok? (be mindful of the younger members we have here)
Stephen

Postby LorentzForce » Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:42 am

but of couse :)

just stating my opinion, as usual.

[edit]

but honestly, it is sad for people to not see it, just because of a few negative reviews. most people who dislikes this anime here in CAA probably only 'heard' of NGE. who knows, maybe a trailer or two. that really isn't what NGE is about. the director himself claims it is an anime where the audience have to decide for themselves the answers and the characters within it.

but if you don't want to see it, don't. because i know, to a person who doesn't want to see something, anything can wrought their mind if they do see it. and NGE does the best at just that.
LorentzForce

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jun 14, 2003 9:45 am

Ah, this explains why everyone was refering to the anime so negatively elsewhere on the site. Thanks for saving me the trouble of looking for myself.
uc pseudonym

Postby Stephen » Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:09 pm

Ok...I am reopening this thread for NGE fans. To show that CAA does not act like gastopo or anything. Rules of the thread...no bickering. CAA has deemed the anime to have a negative review...that won't change. However, this thread is for those that are fans of the series...a place for them to chat about the char, storyline, anything else NGE wise. People enter this thread knowing that posts lashing other members will be deleted, if you have an issue with someone PM them...do not fight on boards. I deleted the posts that made this thread get closed in the first place...took it back to where things were going smoothly...now guys please....do not make us lock this thread again. People can express themselves without arguing. I deleted the other NGE thread because it was in short, redundent. Giving a review on an anime we already have reviewed...(at the start of this thread Noz gives a fine review on the anime) So without further ado...(spelled wrong I bet...) I give the fans of NGE there own place to talk about the anime...have fun.
Stephen

Postby Rashiir » Sun Jun 15, 2003 6:56 pm

Just for clarification, when you say CAA has given it a negative review, do you mean CAA as a whole, or just the administration? I'm a bit confused...
Rashiir

Postby Ashley » Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:09 pm

Good question. How to answer this...well, okay, yes the administration, but also as a group. You know how businesses are treated as an entity? Like CRI for instance. Same thing applies here. Sure we can't make everyone believe the same way. The administrators are representitaves of the "company" or in this case, ministry's ideals. Did that make ANY sense?
Ashley

Postby LorentzForce » Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:25 am

unfortunately ebd1, that verse has nothing to do with NGE's angel's. the angels in NGE are supposed to be what humans would have become. kind of like evolution, where each impact will decide for which of the 18 angels will rule the earth.

see? nothing to do with christianity.

then again, i can go much more complicated that this... but since not many saw NGE, i won't say more :)
LorentzForce

Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews