Log Horizon 2 - What do you think? [Spoilers]

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Log Horizon 2 - What do you think? [Spoilers]

Postby Kraavdran » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:19 am

So, I have been keeping up with Log Horizon 2 and I am having a bit of trouble keeping track of everything. I don't really feel that connection with the characters that I had in the first season.

Anybody else experiencing a similar problem?
Last edited by Kraavdran on Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum et pereat mundus"
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kraavdran
Kraavdran

Re: Log Horizon 2 - What do you think? [Spoilers]

Postby LastLfan » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:57 am

I'm up to 19 and the plot is throwing me a little off but I love the characters, the love triangle isn't too overpowering and none of the girls are being too sexualized.
LastLfan

Postby WorldsTraveler » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:23 pm

I just watched episode 24. (Only one more to go!)

Thus far, I will certainly agree that season 2 is weaker than season 1. Season 2 spread itself out trying to cover multiple plotlines and characters. If well done, this should have led to an epic feel. Instead it seemed confusing to me… like the writers were struggling to choose between what they had to show us and what they wanted to show us. I would have liked more focus and clear interweaving of events. And there are plot threads still dangling in the breeze waiting to be wrapped up.

That said, I am glad I stuck with it. There were some great moments of character growth throughout the series. And the last few episodes have been better. Right now, I have it rated at 7 on MAL, and that seems fair to me. But I’ll wait until episode 25 to decide for sure.
WorldsTraveler

Postby Kraavdran » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:30 pm

LastLfan, that is a really good point about how the love triangle is not too sexualized. I do appreciate that they kept the innocence of that, thanks for pointing that out!

WorldTraveler, now that you mention it, that seems to be a rather accurate assessment. Covering too many plotlines and characters leads to confusion unless handled very delicately. Great insight!

And, like you both said, it has great characters. So it isn't a total loss. I'm glad that it wasn't just me having trouble with the plot.
Kraavdran

Postby LastLfan » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:53 am

I'd say the strongest line though was the girl power plot from early this season where we saw a lot of growth in really all of the girls, and for a while Henrietta was my favorite, Roe2 has replaced her but there are so many strong females on this show that it's hard to pick a favorite. Adapting mmo elements into plot lines such as alt accounts, playing as the opposite gender, and flavor text were all some really cool ideas, but william's 20 minute speech on being a gamer was by far my favorite moment.
LastLfan

Postby Kraavdran » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:33 am

Oh, I had forgotten the first half of season 2 (the raid and Akatsuki "becoming an actual character"). That was really well done, I'm glad that Henrietta played a decent part there because she is cool. I also appreciate the strong female characters in this show and was actually having trouble with Akatsuki before she started acting for herself. Also, William's speech! I had forgotten about that too. Good point.

And yeah, definitely cool ideas like you mentioned. Flavor text was probably my favorite because, in MMO's, the flavor text usually doesn't mean anything.
Kraavdran

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews