[Fall 2014] Season of Hype

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: [Fall 2014] Season of Hype

Postby drill » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:19 am

Akatsuki no Yona ep 2 - Ending was cool, but SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I really wish they showed how each member joined the team *shrugs*
Amagi Brilliant Park ep 3 - Alright episode I guess, really was looking for more to happen here.
Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai ep 2 - Characters seem decent enough, but the plot doesn't interest me at all.
Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken ep 3 - Why am I watching this again?
Donten ni Warau ep 2 - Still cringe worthy, but has gotten better since the last episode.
Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works ep 2 - Amazing art and animation help me forget that Shirou is annoying.
Grisaia no Kajitsu ep 2 - better than episode one, but it feels like its going to be rushed for 13 episodes.
Inou-Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de ep 2 - Meh. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Really, I wasn't all that thrilled with the episode revolving around a support character this early on.
Log Horizon 2 ep 2 - Alright? Season 1 was definitely more interesting.
Magic Kaito 1412 ep 2 - Same as original still, but the art is better, really can't wait for episode 13 and onward which will be entirely new content for the anime.
Ore, Twintail ni Narimasu ep 2 - Pretty much expected nothing, but ended up being better than a decent number of shows. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Also, the alien person is just getting annoying now, they really need to cut her out of the next episode
Orenchi no Furo Jijou ep 2 - Nothing memorable here, just more of the same.
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso ep 2 - This is going to move really slow for a 22 episode anime. Hopefully something will progress soon rather than waiting. Reminds me of Symphonic Rain for some reason... SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Hopefully, the drama will remain in their back stories, and there won't be some sort of rivalry between themselves that creates drama, which is pretty much what killed Glasslip.
Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru ep 2 - Yet another supernatural anime, nothing particularly special here.
drill

Postby MangaRocks! » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:36 am

Finally, Psycho-Pass 2 and Mushishi Zoku Shou S2! :thumb: Before I get to those, though, I have to note that with some of the shows I'd already started, there was a sort of odd reversal of my opinions with some of their second episodes, LOL...

...Starting with Gugure! Kokkuri-san episode 2:

Yeah, this series is still kinda weird; but it was actually funny (and even cute on occasion) to me this time (instead of just mildly amusing, like the previous ep.). So I guess I'm not going to put this one on hold just yet. :)

When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace episode 2:

And here's another sort-of-reversal-- in contrast to my enjoyment of this series' opening episode, the first half of *this* ep. fell rather flat for me, unfortunately. :sweat: That said, it did pick up a little bit in the second half, particularly when Andou was teasing Chifuyu with the toy (which was quite amusing :grin: ) and the rather sweet ending. Still, this ep. just made this series slip a bit in terms of watch-priority for me. (Oh well. *shrug*)

Amagi Brilliant Park episode 2:

Not as funny as the first ep., but still fairly good. That said, I will admit that the whole SPOILER: Highlight text to read: life-or-death aspect, as well as a few other things in this episode, kinda stretched my suspension of disbelief a bit; but it hasn't actually broken yet-- and, anyway, the MC pretty much makes up for it, LOL. :grin: (Speaking of which: HA, that speech!) Also, a few random notes: LOL at the 'enemy' dude's glasses :grin: -- oh, and if this is really true, then *that* aspect at least is total win. :lol: Anyway, I'll keep watching this. :)

Psycho-Pass 2 episode 1:

This episode was excellent. Some good setup + Akane (and, to a lesser extent, Gino) being awesome + that rather sinister after-credits scene made for a great opening ep. (even despite how annoying junior-Inspector Mika's attitude was :P ). On another, very interesting note-- and I'm going to put this in spoiler tags because while it was openly announced beforehand, it wasn't made very apparent in the actual episode-- I am also super intrigued as to why they recast SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Takahiro Sakurai as another character (he's now voicing that new redheaded Enforcer, who seemed oddly timid, and-- even more suspiciously-- barely spoke). I mean, I'm certainly not complaining, LOL-- he's actually my #1-favorite seiyuu ATM, so the more I can hear of him the better for me :thumb: :grin: -- but it's interesting because he previously played the voice of main antagonist Shougo Makishima in the first season, and it's not like there's any lack of actors for the show's creators to choose from, LOL; so either that is one heck of a red herring, or quite significant indeed...

And Mushishi Zoku Shou S2 episode 1:

Seriously, do I even need to say anything more about the awesomeness of this entire series? :) Still, I *will* say that as soon as I saw which story this was I was like "OH MAN," because not only is SPOILER: Highlight text to read: that particular bit of Ginko's backstory quite important (and quite excellent) indeed, it was also (as expected :) ) the perfect story to start this show back up again. <3 :jump:
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby GeneD » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:14 pm

Fate/stay night UBW ep 2: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Mmm not much to say since it was mostly one long explanation episode. The priest seems shady. Do all the adults have those mono-colour “blank” eyes? I can’t remember if Shirou’s adoptive dad did (and am too lazy to go back and check) but he has them in the ED so.
Shirou’s reasoning to fight seems… a little flimsy… Idk, fight to keep the powerful mcguffin from, at this point, a completely hypothetical “bad person” doesn’t sound like a reason that could sustain him for very long. So hopefully he finds a better one. And it’s kinda a bit insulting to Rin, who I assume he knows isn’t a “bad person” and seems way more prepared and on top of things.

Mushishi Zoku Shou S2 ep 1: Wow this episode was amazing SPOILER: Highlight text to read: and so sad. The only thing that bugged me was that young Ginko sounded a bit too much like a girl, especially for the parts when we heard his internal thoughts, there he sounded like an older woman and it took me out of the episode somewhat. Other than that this is probably one of my overall franchise favourite episodes.

Grisaia no Kajitsu ep 3: Dropped. I thought I could overlook the sexual content but this ep was a deal breaker. I really would’ve liked to keep watching because it seems intriguing (this ep was a little light on the intrigue though) but idk, even if there’s a future plot reason for certain characters to act the way they do, at the moment it’s just pointless and gross. Maybe if I hear that they tone it down a lot down the line, but right now, no that’s it for me.

The ED was cute though.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby MangaRocks! » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:46 am

So, due to some interesting things I've been hearing, I added a new (and completely unexpected) series to my Fall-show viewing this week: Rage Of Bahamut: Genesis. And I'm glad I did! :thumb: (Explanations below :) ... but first:)

Gugure! Kokkuri-san episode 3:

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: "Do not feed onions to dogs," LOL. :grin: Anyway, I'm actually enjoying this now, to my pleasant surprise. :) It's not the best comedy ever or anything-- in fact, it doesn't even come close to some of the previous few seasons' comedies in either humor or quality-- but it's decently amusing, has a cute (and a slightly intriguing) streak, and I've enjoyed each episode more than the previous one, so yeah. :thumb:

When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace episode 3:

Well, that was better than episode 2, thankfully. :) (LOL, that new character... :lol: ) I'm finding the combination of all the chuunibyou (and it actually becoming real for the main characters) + the blatant self-awareness of it at the same time pretty amusing. :grin:

The aforementioned Rage Of Bahamut: Genesis, episodes 1-2:

Alright, so I decided to start watching this because I was hearing some surprised accounts (such as this one and its comments, as well as a lengthy MAL review) of how good it was so far, contrary to people's expectations going into it; so I went ahead and gave it a try in the same manner (since I had never intended to watch it until I heard said accounts)-- and what do you know? They were right! :thumb: It's been quite a while since I've seen an actual good old straight-up fantasy (one that's not mainly a romance first or really inside a videogame or something, I mean :grin: ), so that was immediately appealing to me in and of itself; but then adding in the art/animation + directing/cinematography-- which are all surprisingly great :wow!: -- a well-established setting, interesting factions/sets of characters, and a good balance of both humor (which is quite funny indeed when it appears) and seriousness, and yeah, this show certainly seems like a winner so far. (And I'm quite enjoying it! :jump: ) Here's hoping it stays this good for the entire duration...

Amagi Brilliant Park episodes 3-4:

Not sure how I had missed an episode (?) :eyebrow: , but anyway: I think I *want* to like this more than I actually do. :sweat: While the premiere ep. was very funny (at least to me), the humor ever since has been too inconsistent and some jokes are reused too much, plus the story is really quite thin. :shady: (I do quite like the MC, though...) Overall, this looks like it's turning out to be one of those shows that aren't actually *bad,* but are merely (well, aside from Kanye's :grin: Kanie's personality) mediocre. *shrug* Oh well...

Psycho-Pass 2 episode 2:

I like that the larger arc was introduced right away in this season (starting in the premiere episode)-- which I'm sure is due to this being set to have only half the number of episodes as S1 :) -- and the new main antagonist is interestingly different, too. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: BTW, thanks to that casting thing I mentioned last week (although he did finally talk in this episode, albeit with an obviously disguised tone) + the stuff in the OP, I also totally do not trust either of the two new Enforcers right now, LOL. But I guess we'll see. :) On another note: Aw, that cigarette scene. <3 :) Oh, and calling it now, that therapist was totally the baddie disguised inside a holo. (Also, that misunderstanding at the end-- with the baddie thinking that Akane killed the criminal, when it was really the other Division's Inspector who did so-- is obviously not going to lead to anything good... :pikka: )

And Mushishi Zoku Shou S2 episode 2:
Well, you all know what I'm going to say about this, LOL, so for this week I'll just leave it at that. :thumb: <3 :hug:
Saved by grace.

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby drill » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:55 pm

Amagi Brilliant Park ep 4 - It had much more potential than this, but was decent I guess.

Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai ep 3 - Turning out to be much better than I thought. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: However, the whole mystery thing with the shepard doesn't interest me at all

Donten ni Warau ep 4 - Doesn't seem to be announced, but the pacing really feels like a stretched out 2 cour anime. At least the pacing is picking up a little.

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works ep 4 - That fight... amazing. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Also, I'm glad that that this time Shirou was trying to save Saber by pulling her out of the way, rather than dying by "blocking" an enemy attack. His "death" was much more heroic like this.

Grisaia no Kajitsu ep 4 - Really, Yuuji is the only interesting one out of all of them. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: The way that Yuuji was going to return that kiss to the other Michiru... priceless XD

Inou-Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de ep 4 - SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Finally glad it explained why Chifuyu was in a high school club... really, for the first episode, they had me convinced that she was an extremely short first year.

Log Horizon 2 ep 4 - Don't even remember what happened this episode... guess it couldn't have been anything good.

Ore, Twintail ni Narimasu ep 3 - This series started interesting, but is going down hill really fast.

Orenchi no Furo Jijou ep 4 - Mikuni probably just became my favorite character after that episode.

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso ep 3 - Wait, its only on episode 3? I want MORE. At any rate, this has the potential to be my favorite anime for the season (even including FSN: UBW) SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I'm a sucker for the music genre XD

Sword Art Online II ep 16 - Really, if it wasn't for Klein, I wouldn't bother.

Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru ep 3 - SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Just how cliche can you get? The new character, despite being all great now, will obviously learn that the power of friendship is strong or something like that... And here I thought they were going to get strong by themselves, with it being somewhat interesting
drill

Postby MomentOfInertia » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:41 pm

Log Horizon 1-3
More of the same, I'm quite happy with this so far.

Gugure! Kokkuri-san 1-3
I like it but it's definitely not for everyone. The humor is often dry and some of it comes from not particularity family friendly sources.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby EventualDay » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:38 pm

Gugure! Kokkuri-san - Episode 4
The more I watch this, the weirder it gets. It's hardly funny at all, but it's... off-beat enough that I'm still watching. I can't imagine being satisfied with the show by the end though. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: But seriously, how come everybody likes Yamamoto-kun and not Kohina? What's even going on anymore?

Orenchi no Furo Jijou - Episode 4
Actually, actually, I like this :sweat: Probably because each episode is only four minutes long, so it's really easy to take a break from things I'm working on and watch it. Plus new characters keep getting introduced, which is a structure that really works for this show. And it gives me happy feelings.

Amagi Brilliant Park - Episode 4
I am on the fence with dropping this after every episode. I really wish more thought had been given to the plot, because I think I would have actually liked seeing characters try to seriously rebuild the park. The plot seems like it might take a whole different direction though; SPOILER: Highlight text to read: did anyone else think that brief scene at the end looks like a new villain they're introducing? Looked like a dragon eye and teeth? Guess episode 5 just came out, so I'll have to see.

Other than these three, I haven't really been watching anything else. There are some that I'll probably watch eventually though (like Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso and Donten ni Warau). I already have a list of old anime I'm trying to make a dent in.
EventualDay

Postby skreyola » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:54 pm

I am very sad that Denki-gai turned out to be such a steaming pile of garbage, and that Amagi Brilliant Park does not seem to be available anywhere legal for my country. However, my prediction was very close to correct that DG would be either awesome or horrible. I just didn't realize there'd be interesting stuff in the horrible. It was like Working! mixed with Rail Wars.
I am enjoying Shirobako, liking A Good Librarian..., and enjoying I Can't Understand my Husband more than I probably should.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby MangaRocks! » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:39 am

Gugure! Kokkuri-san episode 4:

Oh my gosh, this episode was downright hilarious! :lol: (I guess the more characters that appear, the better this gets? :grin: )

When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace episode 4:

This was just plain silly. :P :grin:

Rage Of Bahamut: Genesis, episode 3:

Whoa-- was not expecting SPOILER: Highlight text to read: zombies. :pikka: Also, still not quite sure how the girl became a *different* kind of zombie, LOL, but I suppose I'll just take it to be because of her dark-magic powers. Anyway, I am really loving this series right now. :thumb:

Amagi Brilliant Park episode 5:

Well, I was going to say that I'm getting kinda bored with this series now, but the SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Indiana Jones parody + how Kanie SPOILER: Highlight text to read: got them out of the predicament with the dragon was actually pretty amusing. :grin: (Also, SPOILER: Highlight text to read: "SKELETOOOOON!"/"BOBSLEEEEED!"/etc. :grin: ) That said, I do wish this show had a lot more substance. :shady:

Psycho-Pass 2 episode 3:

Whoa. :pikka: Kamui is scary-- and in a very different way than Makishima was, because Kamui is completely unpredictable (at least so far). SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Other bits of particular interest: Looks like the OP is a little different now? (Not sure if that's a clue or not...) And that little reveal about Togane's Psycho-Pass level... :pikka:

And Mushishi Zoku Shou S2 episode 3:

Ginko's expressions during the whole first section of this, ROTFL!! :lol: And wow, the rest of it afterward was so emotional. (Have I mentioned that this show is amazing? ;) )
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby GeneD » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:11 am

Fate/stay night UBW ep 3 - 4: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Rin, war is no time to be tsundere.
Self-healing magic, that's convenient.
I'm still obsessively curious about when characters have "blank" eyes, like the teacher and PurpleHair-chan in this episode, and when they don't, and if it means anything besides animators saving time on their work.
Jeez, their food looked really good and I laughed at Emiya being the only one to acknowledge the awkwardness. I'm less pleased that 3/4 of his harem are now going to be staying with him.
I'm ridiculously suspicious of every character who hasn't already been revealed as a Master, and the whole set up of the war actually.

Overall the pacing seems kinda slow, but it's not necessary a bad thing. Rin is the best.

Yowamushi Pedal: Grande Road ep 3 - 4: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Midousuji, wow, talk about creepy-cute. His back story made him a bit more sympathetic but still doesn't excuse his behaviour. Hopefully his breakdown will lead him to come to appreciate the team part of the sport. Obvious conversation between Toudou and Manami was obvious, but it's ok because Manami's so adorkable. I'm ready for day three to start.

Mushishi Zoku Shou S2 ep 2: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Going from a Ginko-centric to a Ginko-light ep. You know sometimes you wish you could experience something for the first time again? Just me? This kinda takes that to the extreme and presents it in a less than desirable light. The "mechanism" of that mushi wasn't really explained particularly well though, but I guess that's because the people affected by it can't really give any details themselves, so the mushishi community just has to go on rumours.
3: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Likewise, this mushi's also a hard one to gather info about, so it's a good thing Ginko's heard all the relavant rumours. But wow, this ep carried so much weight. IMHO these two stories were closer to the first season's feel, which balanced the human drama with the mushi's effects more evenly than the first cour of Zoku Shou. Not that either "type" is better than the other. It's all wonderful. And yeah, the expressions in this ep is gold.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
GeneD

Postby skreyola » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:02 pm

Ep. 3 of A Good Librarian...: Getting interesting, but what is up with SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Nagi? Is she trying to seduce him? Trying to get him to commit sexual harrassment so she can get him in trouble? She's acting wierd around him.

Edit: So, I'm thinking of picking up Orenchi no Furo Jijou and/or Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso to fill the hole left by my dropping Denki-gai. Can anyone tell me any reasons I'll probably love or hate these shows? Thanks.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby MangaRocks! » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:32 pm

...GUYS. Rage Of Bahamut: Genesis is great-- really great!-- and it needs way more exposure. I can't believe I almost missed it simply due to its poor marketing. JOIN ME IN WATCHING IT, PLEASE (AND THANKS). <3 :)

And now on to the commentary... :)

Gugure! Kokkuri-san episode 5:

HA! Inugami getting some of his(/her) own medicine was pretty amusing, as was Kokkuri's reactions to it. Also: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: "She's the contractor of darkness I fought in a past life, right?" :lol: And Kohina's reaction to being bullied was hilariously awesome. (Favorite line: "Only your wallet has experienced damage." :lol: )

When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace episode 5:

Aw. <3 :) Y'know, I really like how the MC is a total chuuni and yet can still be really serious and sweet when the proper situation arises. :hug: (Also, it seems like he has a photographic memory? :grin: ) Anyway, this episode had me smiling the entire time-- Tomoyo and Jurai are just so adorable together. <3 :)

Rage Of Bahamut: Genesis, episode 4:

Ah, so now we got a little glimpse at Favaro and Kaisar's history. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: And the team-switch should be interesting (and amusing). :grin: Also: Nice cliffhanger! That said, someone else posted a little mini-review on MAL that perfectly explained how great the ep. was in more detail, so I'll just leave the link for that here (though it's full spoilers, so click at your own risk, LOL). (...Have I mentioned that this show is really good? :thumb: )

Amagi Brilliant Park episode 6 (last ep. of this series that I'll be commenting on):

Okay, *now* it's boring. Also, this episode wasn't funny at all, and several 'jokes' in particular were in *very* poor taste, besides. :shady: I did like Kanye Kanie's character, and I wish this series could've lived up to what it seemed like it could be; but it didn't (not even close), and I'm not enjoying it overall, so I give up-- this is dropped.

Psycho-Pass 2 episode 4:

...Well, that was thoroughly ruthless and disturbing. :pikka: (I mean, I watched the first season, so it's not like I didn't expect something like that to occur in this season at some point, but still...)

And Mushishi Zoku Shou S2 episode 4:

<3 :)
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby GeneD » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:29 am

Fate/stay night UBW ep 5: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Well I'm glad Tohsaka and Emiya have officially called a truce because the "I'm too tsundere to kill you" thing was getting old. That said Emiya has some pretty thick plot armour on because, man, he does stupid things.

Mushishi Zoku Shou S2 ep 4: Yay the OP's back, just when I was starting to miss it. Is it just me or was this episode particularly pretty? All that greenery and canals were beautiful. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I loved the imagery and symbolism of the canals connecting people and all we have to do is have the strength to follow them to stay connected.

Yowamushi Pedal: Grande Road ep 5: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: The whole sequence with Onoda asking Midousuji about Zakus, the music that just cuts off and then Midousuji just riding away! And then challenging him to a race with the prize being a conversation about anime. Priceless! Onoda makes everything better, now even Midousuji knows this. The after credits scene OMFREAKING OUT! SO hilarious.
6: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Wow they managed to make someone even creepier than Midousuji. That scene was so awkward. I'm a bit disappointed, I don't want another super creeper taking up screen time. I don't even want the "satisfaction" of seeing him eventually fail, he's just annoying. The snake-pack and Hakone-Souhoku teamup was cool though.

And finally, my exams are DONE! So, what should I be catching up on? For starters I'm gonna go with Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso and Rage Of Bahamut (by MangaRocks!'s endorsement). I'm in two minds about Parasyte because I don't know if I should read the manga first. But other than that, seriously, what's worth it to catch up on?

MAL
Twitter
GeneD

Postby ForeverInspired » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:38 pm

I wish my exams were done... :)

I have been LOVING Akatsuki no Yona. It started off a little shaky, but it has grown into something big and incredible. It's by the same studio that did The World Is Still Beautiful - and I can definitely understand why. I think that Pierrot might be winning me over with its releases this year. Producing two quality anime (that I like) is quite a feat for one year of releases. Also, Psycho Pass has been fairly interesting - not as amazing as Akatsuki no Yona, but it's still pretty good. I tried Laughing under the Clouds on a whim and was really surprised by the story. Definitely underrated.

As to be expected, Fate/Stay Night makes even Shiro look amazing. Seriously, that is one of the top shows this season, and I am glad that they are focusing on the Unlimited Blade Works storyline. I found this plot much more interesting than the one used in the previous Fate/Stay Night series. Also Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso is just gorgeous. I've played piano for years, and I always love a good musical series. This one is legit. I love how they show the pressure and the practicing. It's so realistic. All I have to say is that Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji is a guilty pleasure of mine. It really is an aggravating story (although, sometimes, I actually like it that way...), but it fills the hole of Blue Spring Ride (second season please!!!!).

As far as Garo, Rage of Bahamut, Log Horizon, Parasyte, Shirobako (must say - very cute and interesting in its own way!), Chaika, and Log Horizon, they are all not what I would like them to be. I just can't get the entertainment from them that I do from the shows mention above.

Finally, for the series carried over (Akame ga Kill, Diamond no Ace, Argevollen, and Sword Art Online), the only one that seems to be any good is Diamond no Ace. Granted, I haven't been keeping up with the latest releases, but that is my stance at this moment.
ForeverInspired

Postby EventualDay » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:40 am

ForeverInspired, what do you like about Laughing Under the Clouds/Donten ni Warau, if I may ask? I dropped it really early in, but more because it didn't grab me than I didn't like it. I'd pick it up again pretty quickly if I got a good reason to :)
EventualDay

Postby ForeverInspired » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:22 pm

EventualDay wrote:ForeverInspired, what do you like about Laughing Under the Clouds/Donten ni Warau, if I may ask? I dropped it really early in, but more because it didn't grab me than I didn't like it. I'd pick it up again pretty quickly if I got a good reason to :)

Well, I was originally not going to pick up the title because of it's short summary, which didn't really appeal to me. However, after reading several comments on My Anime List, I decided to give it a shot. I agree that Laughing Under the Clouds did not seem to have the most promising start. It just seemed like an unusual comedy. However, there have been some recent episodes (I believe episodes 3 or 4 to episode 5) that have brought a few interesting twists to the plot. Granted, I saw through one of them before they "revealed" it, but I still enjoyed it. In fact, one of the twists might entail one of the main characters SPOILER: Highlight text to read: making an exit from the plot! The only unfortunate aspect of such a great twist is that it may feel more like an ending than a turning point... we shall see.

Nonetheless, you really have to like the relationships between the brothers to like this show. So far, it has mainly been about that and looks like it will still be that way in the near future.

Also, I have been watching it in chunks (since I started late), so that might also be helping me to enjoy it more.
ForeverInspired

Postby EventualDay » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:15 am

ForeverInspired wrote:Well, I was originally not going to pick up the title because of it's short summary, which didn't really appeal to me. However, after reading several comments on My Anime List, I decided to give it a shot. I agree that Laughing Under the Clouds did not seem to have the most promising start. It just seemed like an unusual comedy. However, there have been some recent episodes...

Okay I think I'll give it another shot. Thanks for the reply :)
EventualDay

Postby MangaRocks! » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:35 am

Gugure! Kokkuri-san episode 6:

LOL, that 'cyclops' thing was amazingly cute for such a deadly creature. :grin: (Also, ROTFL at the SPOILER: Highlight text to read: "Let's go for a walk" line. :lol: ) Anyway, aww at Shigaraki's actions at the end (...the end before the credits, I mean :grin: ) <3 :hug: , and then LOL again at SPOILER: Highlight text to read: the punchline (what Kohina said she was actually planning). :grin:

When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace episode 6:
The beginning of this was so cute-- especially Andou's reaction to the gift. <3 :hug: Speaking of which, have I mentioned how much I like the MC? ;) He's adorkable (and proud of it!), sweet and kind and thoughtful at heart, and observant enough to instantly notice when he's done something to upset someone-- and then tries to rectify it as soon as possible (as opposed to some of those annoyingly-oblivious kind of leads, you know?). What made this even better here was that, in this case, SPOILER: Highlight text to read: he actually didn't even offend her, LOL-- the 'cues' that in this sort of story would normally flag a character as being upset and trying to avoid the subject (or the offending character in general) were, in this case, not that at all; they were exactly what they sounded like/what she said they were, not her being offended. But that only made his concern and resolve to correct his assumed mistake even sweeter, of course. <3 :)

Rage Of Bahamut: Genesis, episode 5:

Well, that didn't last long, LOL :grin: -- last week I had assumed that there was going to be more interaction between the switched duos, but I should've realized that with how fast-paced this show is, there actually wouldn't be much. (That said, though, I don't mean to imply that's a negative-- I *like* how they've managed the pacing so far, and I'm also actually glad that the SPOILER: Highlight text to read: rescue didn't drag out; it didn't need to, so it didn't-- which is just how it should be, really). SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Now that they're all together, I do hope that Kaisar and Favaro work out their issues (or, rather, that Kaisar works out *his* {rather misinformed} issues about Favaro, LOL) sometime soon, though. (Guess we'll see...) :) Oh, and on another note, it looks like they just revealed Amira's father, interestingly enough...

Psycho-Pass 2 episode 5:

Wow. ...Well, this season of PP certainly isn't as good as the first one was in terms of writing and characterization and dialogue and such; however, to its credit, so far this episode was IMO the best ep. of season 2, thanks to a combination of the genuinely creepy tone overall, Kamui being even more messed up than Makishima was (by *quite a lot,* actually... :pikka: :pikka: :pikka: Whereas Makishima was basically just a twisted, 'philosophical' sociopath, Kamui is actually truly insane, in the fullest sense of the word. :pikka: {Also: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Taking + storing up tons of body parts to transplant onto himself, holy crap...!! :pikka: :pikka: :pikka: }), awesome professor being awesome (which in turn lead to SPOILER: Highlight text to read: that major reveal about the politician), the horrifying results (and implications) of that 'game,' and the kicker of an ending SPOILER: Highlight text to read: (super-stalker Tougane...! :pikka: :pikka: ).

And Mushishi Zoku Shou S2 episode 5:

The beginning was quite tense, Ginko's embarrassment at his medicine not working was LOL <3 :grin: , and the end was seriously heartwarming. :) On another note, one of the many awesome little touches in the anime adaptation that I love is how at times they (re)arrange the episodes to connect better thematically. (In this instance, the 'ether' concept building off of its introduction in the previous ep.) Can't wait for the next episode, as always! <3 :)
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby skreyola » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:19 pm

So, yeah... I decided to watch one episode of Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso to see if it was worth watching. I'm not keen on the art style. Their faces are weird... but I just finished episode 5, so I guess I'll be watching this show. I'm keen on SPOILER: Highlight text to read: KaorixKousei... I hope Tsubaki goes out with the high schooler, because Kousei needs Kaori.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:47 pm

GeneD wrote:Fate/stay night UBW ep 5: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Well I'm glad Tohsaka and Emiya have officially called a truce because the "I'm too tsundere to kill you" thing was getting old. That said Emiya has some pretty thick plot armour on because, man, he does stupid things.

Mushishi Zoku Shou S2 ep 4: Yay the OP's back, just when I was starting to miss it. Is it just me or was this episode particularly pretty? All that greenery and canals were beautiful. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I loved the imagery and symbolism of the canals connecting people and all we have to do is have the strength to follow them to stay connected.

Yowamushi Pedal: Grande Road ep 5: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: The whole sequence with Onoda asking Midousuji about Zakus, the music that just cuts off and then Midousuji just riding away! And then challenging him to a race with the prize being a conversation about anime. Priceless! Onoda makes everything better, now even Midousuji knows this. The after credits scene OMFREAKING OUT! SO hilarious.
6: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Wow they managed to make someone even creepier than Midousuji. That scene was so awkward. I'm a bit disappointed, I don't want another super creeper taking up screen time. I don't even want the "satisfaction" of seeing him eventually fail, he's just annoying. The snake-pack and Hakone-Souhoku teamup was cool though.

And finally, my exams are DONE! So, what should I be catching up on? For starters I'm gonna go with Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso and Rage Of Bahamut (by MangaRocks!'s endorsement). I'm in two minds about Parasyte because I don't know if I should read the manga first. But other than that, seriously, what's worth it to catch up on?

I'm currently only watching three this season.

Rage of Bahamut: Genesis. This is actually a lot better than I was expecting. I'm so used to anime based off of games and ones with pretty art styles to turn out blah but this is actually a lot of fun. It's visually beautiful, has great music, a pretty likable female character, an interesting plot, and the pacing's pretty good too.

Yona of the Dawn (Akatsuki no Yona). Started off alright but gets increasingly better. Nice art style/animation and amazing music. It's kind of refreshing for a shoujo/reverse harem type thing and it kind of reminds me a bit of Fushigi Yuugi. The story is more political with some romance and the female lead starts off pretty annoying but she's quickly becoming awesome. Plus Hak. You must watch for him if for nothing else!

Your Lie in April (Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso). Amazing. Definitely my favorite! And I do believe Kaori is one of my all time favorite anime characters already! All I can say.
'What one does not understand one fears. What one fears, one destroys.' -Native American Indian Proverb
"Man: What surprises you most about mankind? God: That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up, and then long to be children again. That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health. That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live in neither the present nor the future. That they live as though they will never die and die as though they never lived."
"God expects spiritual fruit not religious nuts."

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby skreyola » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:45 pm

So, what are everyone's favorites for the season so far?
You can rank them, if you prefer.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Vii » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:17 pm

1 Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso

I've pretty much dropped Amagi Brilliant Park. I'm weeks behind with no desire to catch up.
Vii

Postby ForeverInspired » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:26 pm

New this season:
1. Fate/Stay Night
2. Akatsuki no Yona
3. Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
4. Psycho Pass
5. Ookami Shouko to Kuro Ouji
6. Garo
7. Shirobako
8. Log Horizon
9. Chaika
10. Parasyte
11. Rage of Bahamut

From seasons in second cour:
1. Diamond no Ace
2. Argevollen
3. Akame ga Kill
4. Sword Art Online
ForeverInspired

Postby MomentOfInertia » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:57 am

A list? it's going to be short, I'm way behind this season.

1. Log Horizon - Good. Kind of slow, but in a measured pace sort of way not a 'aaaaagh why doesn't something happen' one.
2. Gugure! Kokkuri-san - good but strange
3. I Can't Understand my Husband - ...

I'll get to them (Soon^TM)
? Rage of Bahamut: Genesis
? Amagi Brilliant Park
? Chaika
? When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:21 am

I'm enjoying everything I'm currently watching, but the two bolded ones are my top favorites. :)

1: Mushishi Zoku Shou S2
2: Rage Of Bahamut: Genesis

3: Psycho-Pass 2
4: Gugure! Kokkuri-san
5: When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace

That said, I do have a few more series from this season that I'm either planning on watching later or reading the manga of first, so those won't be on this list for now. (Oh, and I was also watching Amagi Brilliant Park for a while, but I dropped that one after episode 6, so I guess that shows how much I was{n't} enjoying that... :P )
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:43 am

1. Shigatsu wa Kimi Uso (Your Lie in April)
2. Akatsuki no Yona (Yona of the Dawn)
3. Shingeki no Bahamut (Rage of Bahamut: Genesis)

In carry overs

1. Sailor Moon: Crystal
2. Sword Art Online II

There are lots of others this season that I'm interested in but I just don't have time for right now. I'll get around too them eventually though! ^_^
'What one does not understand one fears. What one fears, one destroys.' -Native American Indian Proverb
"Man: What surprises you most about mankind? God: That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up, and then long to be children again. That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health. That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live in neither the present nor the future. That they live as though they will never die and die as though they never lived."
"God expects spiritual fruit not religious nuts."

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby ForeverInspired » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:57 am

Laughing under the Clouds does what I thought it would do... break everyone's heart.
Psycho Pass gets more psycho.
Akatsuki no Yona is still mesmerizing.
That is all. :)
ForeverInspired

Postby skreyola » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:59 pm

Your Lie in April/Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Ep. 6: I'm loving this show in spite of the weird art style. I'd be just as happy with SPOILER: Highlight text to read: TsubakixKousei as SPOILER: Highlight text to read: KaorixKousei, but I'm leaning toward the latter for the decisiveness... IJS.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby MangaRocks! » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:30 pm

Gugure! Kokkuri-san episode 7:

This episode was definitely not anywhere near as funny (or sweet) as the previous bunch were, but I did like how Kohina escaped on her own :grin: , and the end was mildly amusing. Hopefully the next episode will pick the comedy back up again... :)

When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace episode 7:

Wow... that was one pretty impressive breakdown (both vocally-- apparently the actress did that all in one take!-- and for the character). :pikka: It was also a bit of a wake-up call for the MC, who-- while rather observant with the other characters-- had been woefully oblivious as to what was going on with Hatoko (and what she felt like every time he said that she wouldn't understand-- although, granted, she was trying to hide it...) for 10 whole years! And then to end the episode with Hajime insightfully explaining everything to her in detail, and then SPOILER: Highlight text to read: kidnapping her... :pikka: I mean, I always figured there'd be some sort of clash with him eventually (it's right in the OP, even), but it should be interesting to see how this unfolds. :)

Rage Of Bahamut: Genesis, episode 6:

As for Favaro and Kaisar-- LOL, well, that's a start. ;) :grin: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: And okay, so I'm no longer sure that dude-with-the-matching-pendant is who I thought he was-- since Amira is half-and-half, one of her parents (hinted to have been her mother) would've been an angel and the other a demon, but now it looks like the traitor-dude was just a human working with that other demon guy, not a demon in disguise himself. Also: From the OP, it looks like Amira will be the prophesied knight (unless just activating the Bahamut requires the same position, of course), but it would be downright hilarious if it actually turned out to be Favaro (as that scene rather seemed to be hinting...?). :grin:

Psycho-Pass 2 episode 6:

Hmm... interestingly enough, the OP keeps changing with every episode-- getting more and more distorted and glitchy... Anyway, yeah, that was pretty intense. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Some other things of note: At least Mika realized her attitude was off (...well, slightly, at any rate... :P ). And Tougane wants to "color Akane black," what the heck?! :pikka: That was definitely creepy (as if the stalkerish stuff in his room wasn't creepy enough, of course)... :pikka: Although, he also didn't let her shoot at the end, so I'm not necessarily sure that meant what it seemed...? :eyebrow: And, finally, Hinakawa's "have to help Onee-chan" line was interesting... not to say that I think that term was meant literally (because I don't), but still, why he would use that turn of phrase, and who exactly he was referring to, is a bit mysterious ATM...

And Mushishi Zoku Shou S2 episode 6:

Ah, I always loved this one. <3 SPOILER: Highlight text to read: And the end was so beautiful...
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby GeneD » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:27 am

Caught up with Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis, Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso, Akatsuki no Yona and still working on Gugure! Kokkuri-san.

Bahamut proved as interesting as everyone's said, although I was surprised how much the mythology, for lack of a better word, plays a role. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I did a double take and then laughed when the chief deities are called "Satan" and "Zeus". I really liked Amira's hat-and-cloak outfit from the first episode so I'd sad it's gone. Also like the OP and love the fact that the characters all have their own unique goals and issues that don't automatically tie in with the overarching plot (yet?).

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso is really pretty and seems deep at first glance, on the surface, I know that's a bit of a contradiction. The characters are a bit cardboard-y and idk, it's like the story is specifically constructed to induce "feels" but kinda lacks substance on closer inspection. I'm specifically unimpressed with SPOILER: Highlight text to read: the childhood friend unrequited crush and all the terminal illness flags for Kaori. Maybe it's just me and I don't know what I'm talking about. Love the duet OP.

Yona has been pretty cool. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I'm glad she's getting less squeaky and to quote the most recent episode, learning to stand on her own two feet. The pacing is much slower than I expected but not in a bad way. The instrumental OP is refreshing and sets the mood for the historic feel of the show quite nicely.

Gugure! Kokkuri-san is so off-beat. Not the best comedy, but it's had me laughing every episode so I can't complain.

Fate/stay night UBW ep 7: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: All the "I won't finish you off now, but next time..." nonsense is getting on my nerves. I understand it's strategy, but it's still annoying. It feels like nothing much has happened over the last 2 or so episodes.

Mushishi Zoku Shou S2 ep 6: From creepy to sad to heart warming to beautiful in one episode.

My season standings so far. I don't know if I'll be catching up with anything else.

1. Mushishi Zoku Shou S2
2. Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis
3. Fate/stay night UBW
4. Yowamushi Pedal: Grande Road
4. Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
4. Akatsuki no Yona
5. Gugure! Kokkuri-san

MAL
Twitter
GeneD

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews