Fantasy anime

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Fantasy anime

Postby nln_rose » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:42 pm

I love fantasy stories but all too often i find that they are rife with references to the occult. Pentagrams familiars, demons, and the like are all things i can't have any. does anyone know of any animes that don't follow that trend. I loved fairy tail(funnily enough a show about wizards with no pentagrams or anything like that as far as i got), shining hearts (though there was 1 episode i skipped due to the familiar), SAO, RWBY, Attack on Titan. Thanks.
I hope you don't mind me barging in like this. In spite of the profession I've chosen, I've never actually made a confession before. It's these times we live in. I did what it took to protect the children at any cost. That's how I always justified my actions. I took many people's lives, all that time believing there was no other way. My sins are so heavy. Too heavy. Too heavy to ever atone for. And yet, somehow I feel happy, at peace with myself today. It really can be done. Once you stop to think about it, there are plenty of ways to save everyone. Why didn't I ever listen to him? Why didn't I see that before it was too late? -Nicholas D. Wolfwood (Priest)
nln_rose

Re: Fantasy anime

Postby drill » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:44 am

Not exactly the expert on fantasy anime, but you might like:

Log Horizon
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun
Fate/Zero
drill

Postby ForeverInspired » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:46 am

Yeah, it's hard to find those ones. I think that this list should be fine. I tried to remember them to the best of my ability and clearly avoided those that I knew had the problems you stated above. Unfortunately, some of these titles I saw a bit ago, so it may not be a perfect list. At the very least, you can just use it as a reference.

1. Code Geass, Code Geass, Code Geass, and more Code Geass (I don't believe there is any occult stuff in it from what I can recall)

... can you tell that I love this show? :P

If you liked SAO, you might want to try:
1. Log Horizon
2. Accel World
3. Problem Children Are Coming from Another World, Aren't They?
4. No Game, No Life (although I would be cautious with this one since it has a large problem with nudity)
5. .hack// (I never saw this one, but I am told that it is like SAO - although maybe not as good)

If you want some survival show like Attack on Titan, I can point you to:
1. Black Bullet
2. Aldnoah.Zero is currently airing and is okay so far - nothing spectacular
3. Jyu Oh Sei (really underrated)
4. Suisei no Gargantia (haven't seen it, want to see it, and heard that it is good)

There's also:
1. Fate/Zero is incredible
2. Kyousogiga
3. maybe Blast of Tempest (don't take that for granted though)
4. probably Tales of Vesperia
5. Scrapped Princess
6. Guilty Crown (again, watch for some nudity/revealing clothes)
7. Romeo x Juliet
8. K
9. The Ambition of Oda Nobuna (I'm halfway through this one, and it's pretty good so far)
10. possibly Madoka Magica... although it can be *darker* at times.
11. Howl's Moving Castle
12. Certain Scientific Railgun is also a good one (Index, it's predecessor, might have some problems though)
13. Children Who Chase Lost Voices
14. finally, I've heard many good things about Tsubasa Chronicle from other people on this site - but I haven't gotten a chance to see it myself as of yet
Last edited by ForeverInspired on Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ForeverInspired

Postby skreyola » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:13 am

nln_rose wrote:I loved fairy tail(funnily enough a show about wizards with no pentagrams or anything like that as far as i got),

That surprises me, since the reason I stopped watching that show (which I was enjoying otherwise) is that one of the MCs gets power by making contracts with supernatural beings, which is the very type of "magic" proscribed in the Bible.

I'll second RomeoxJuliet. ...Railgun and Madoka Magika, as well, though they are both dark (in different ways). I'd also highly recommend Howl's Moving Castle, but add a caveat: There are "demons" in the show, but explaining it is a spoiler: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Howl has given his heart to the fire demon Calcifer. I think there are also magic circles shown in the show, possibly including a pentagram SPOILER: Highlight text to read: when Howl moves the doorways.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby ForeverInspired » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:16 pm

^You know what - you are quite right about those things occurring in Howl's Moving Castle. I forgot about that.
ForeverInspired

Postby nln_rose » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:15 pm

ForeverInspired wrote:Yeah, it's hard to find those ones. I think that this list should be fine. I tried to remember them to the best of my ability and clearly avoided those that I knew had the problems you stated above. Unfortunately, some of these titles I saw a bit ago, so it may not be a perfect list. At the very least, you can just use it as a reference.

1. Code Geass, Code Geass, Code Geass, and more Code Geass (I don't believe there is any occult stuff in it from what I can recall)

... can you tell that I love this show? :P

If you liked SAO, you might want to try:
1. Log Horizon
2. Accel World
3. Problem Children Are Coming from Another World, Aren't They?
4. No Game, No Life (although I would be cautious with this one since it has a large problem with nudity)
5. .hack// (I never saw this one, but I am told that it is like SAO - although maybe not as good)

If you want some survival show like Attack on Titan, I can point you to:
1. Black Bullet
2. Aldnoah.Zero is currently airing and is okay so far - nothing spectacular
3. Jyu Oh Sei (really underrated)
4. Suisei no Gargantia (haven't seen it, want to see it, and heard that it is good)

There's also:
1. Fate/Zero is incredible
2. Kyousogiga
3. maybe Blast of Tempest (don't take that for granted though)
4. probably Tales of Vesperia
5. Scrapped Princess
6. Guilty Crown (again, watch for some nudity/revealing clothes)
7. Romeo x Juliet
8. K
9. The Ambition of Oda Nobuna (I'm halfway through this one, and it's pretty good so far)
10. possibly Madoka Magica... although it can be *darker* at times.
11. Howl's Moving Castle
12. Certain Scientific Railgun is also a good one (Index, it's predecessor, might have some problems though)
13. Children Who Chase Lost Voices
14. finally, I've heard many good things about Tsubasa Chronicle from other people on this site - but I haven't gotten a chance to see it myself as of yet

thanks for the list just an fyi log horizon does actually have 1 pentagram. it was used in 1 episode and i'd completely forgotten about it until i bought it and after i'd showed my brother an episode. watched howl's moving castle and it was good. do you know where i can find code geass i've been looking for it, but i cant seem to find it on hulu cr netflix or funimation.
I hope you don't mind me barging in like this. In spite of the profession I've chosen, I've never actually made a confession before. It's these times we live in. I did what it took to protect the children at any cost. That's how I always justified my actions. I took many people's lives, all that time believing there was no other way. My sins are so heavy. Too heavy. Too heavy to ever atone for. And yet, somehow I feel happy, at peace with myself today. It really can be done. Once you stop to think about it, there are plenty of ways to save everyone. Why didn't I ever listen to him? Why didn't I see that before it was too late? -Nicholas D. Wolfwood (Priest)
nln_rose

Postby ForeverInspired » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:39 pm

^Thanks for the warning about Log Horizon. Code Geass used to stream more, but you can still find it for free streaming on The Anime Network (and buy if you wish from there or Crunchyroll). The link is: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/video/1506/#play-1
ForeverInspired

Postby skreyola » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:26 pm

ForeverInspired wrote:^You know what - you are quite right about those things occurring in Howl's Moving Castle. I forgot about that.

But I still recommend it. All the Studio Ghibli films are amazing works of art.

ForeverInspired wrote:Code Geass ... for free streaming on The Anime Network ... The link is:

Thank you for this. I've been looking for that.
The prices are right decent, too.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Kaori » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:08 pm

Definitely look into the following:

Haibane Renmei (extremely good)
12 Kingdoms (solidly good)
.Hack//Sign (reasonably good)

I also want to cautiously recommend the Escaflowne TV series. The main character does use a pendant for some sort of magic or other; I can't recall if there are pentagrams or other similar magic diagrams. Hopefully someone else will be able to come along and clarify what kind of content it has.

You might also want to consider some Studio Ghibli films:

Nausicaa (though the story in the film is very condensed and is much better in the manga series)
Princess Mononoke (if you are okay with Japanese gods, which are animistic spirits of a place or thing, and with some )
Spirited Away (same as the above minus the violence)
My Neighbor Totoro (has supernatural forest creatures not referred to as gods)
Castle in the Air (been a while since I saw this one, so I'm not totally sure if it is free of pentagrams and dark magic, though I am pretty sure it is)

AVOID the following because they both portray dark magic:

Heroic Legend of Prince Arislan

Record of Lodoss War
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Nate » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:18 am

It's been years since I've seen Escaflowne and I honestly can't remember if it has that stuff in it, because I never pay attention to that stuff. I could tell you about a bunch of other content it has but magic symbols/pentagrams, I got no clue.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Thunderscream872 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:32 am

Here are a few you might be interested in. I've seen all of these and I don't recall anything that you're trying to avoid, though I'm not infallible, so yeah, lol. Some of these have mature content. If you want me to go into detail about over-the-top blood/gore, language, nudity, and all that jazz just ask about a particular show and I'll provide you with the details. :thumb:

Darker Than Black
Code Geass
Guilty Crown
Fullmetal Alchemist (or FMA: Brotherhood, but I haven't seen that yet)
Gurren Lagann
K (K Project, Project K--I've notice that doing a search for those titles instead of just "K" will get you more results)
Eureka Seven
Angel Beats (maybe...)
Deadman Wonderland (I wouldn't recommend it, but I don't recall any directly occult stuff in there)
Yu Yu Hakusho (Yes, there are "demons" in there, but the term is used VERY generically. They don't come from hell or serve Satan, and there isn't anything directly occult about them besides the term "demon"...as far as I remember)

I'm currently watching these, and so far I think you'd be fine with them:

Fate/Zero
Blast of Tempest
Aquarion Evol

Hope this helps!
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby skreyola » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:19 pm

Thunderscream872 wrote:Fullmetal Alchemist (or FMA: Brotherhood, but I haven't seen that yet)

Even though it isn't a typical pentagram, there is a star with a circle around it in the eastern waste episode (and Ed thinks back on that several times).
I haven't seen the original anime, so I don't know if that made it into that show.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:08 pm

I'm surprised Code Geass is getting such a high recommendation if visual issues like the sort of but not really pentagrams in FMA are an issue.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby skreyola » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:00 pm

I'm not sure they are an issue, and most of their magic circles bear no resemblance to that, but I wanted to mention it in case it was an issue for the OP. Though, now that I think about it, there is one thing: the little girl with the panda (I forget her name) uses stars for all of her effects.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:52 am

Kaori wrote:I also want to cautiously recommend the Escaflowne TV series. The main character does use a pendant for some sort of magic or other; I can't recall if there are pentagrams or other similar magic diagrams. Hopefully someone else will be able to come along and clarify what kind of content it has.

The main character uses a pendant for dowsing. She also uses tarot cards some, so depending on what bothers you, you might want to steer clear of this one. It didn't come across to me as black magic, more like just a kind of prescience that she happened to have, but I can understand how the association could bother some people.
the_wolfs_howl

Postby nln_rose » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:46 pm

ForeverInspired wrote:12. Certain Scientific Railgun is also a good one (Index, it's predecessor, might have some problems though)

skreyola wrote:
nln_rose wrote:I'll second RomeoxJuliet. ...Railgun and Madoka Magika, as well, though they are both dark (in different ways)..

I started railgun, but the relationship between the 2 main girls was really... awkward does it stop? or is it a part of the fanservice?
nln_rose

Postby skreyola » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:17 pm

It doesn't stop, and it's pretty annoying, but it's not frequent or prominent enough that I seriously considered dropping the show. Especially since everything else that's going on is pretty much unmitigated awesome. I think I got to the point where I was just happy when she got pounded for her inappropriate violations of Misaka's personal space and wishes. Yeah, awkward and creepy, but there's plenty of good stuff in the show to offset it.
Anime List
skreyola

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews