Anime companies attempts to combat piracy.

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Anime companies attempts to combat piracy.

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:30 pm

Just thought a lot of you would like to know. You're favorite anime or manga may not be so easily available before long! And please, no arguing k?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-07-30/anime-production-companies-manga-publishers-crack-down-on-piracy/.77121
'What one does not understand one fears. What one fears, one destroys.' -Native American Indian Proverb
"Man: What surprises you most about mankind? God: That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up, and then long to be children again. That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health. That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live in neither the present nor the future. That they live as though they will never die and die as though they never lived."
"God expects spiritual fruit not religious nuts."

PLCDreamcatcher14

Re: Anime companies attempts to combat piracy.

Postby nln_rose » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:12 pm

i always try to go to hulu or crunchyroll or funimation when physically possible. i really want to support them. the issue is when it's something like clannad that has no licensing anywhere and i'm no about to pay the $50 for the dvd.
I hope you don't mind me barging in like this. In spite of the profession I've chosen, I've never actually made a confession before. It's these times we live in. I did what it took to protect the children at any cost. That's how I always justified my actions. I took many people's lives, all that time believing there was no other way. My sins are so heavy. Too heavy. Too heavy to ever atone for. And yet, somehow I feel happy, at peace with myself today. It really can be done. Once you stop to think about it, there are plenty of ways to save everyone. Why didn't I ever listen to him? Why didn't I see that before it was too late? -Nicholas D. Wolfwood (Priest)
nln_rose

Postby skreyola » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:45 pm

I watched Clannad on Hulu (I think, it might've been CR) Free.

But I take your point and agree wholeheartedly. The entertainment industry needs to find a way to make works more easily licensed, so that even obscure works can be enjoyed by people who are willing to pay or accept ad-supported content but can't currently find most of these works through any legitimate conduit.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Ante Bellum » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:32 am

...Tokyo Bill...
Ante Bellum

Postby Lynna » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:24 am

Ante Bellum wrote:...Tokyo Bill...

Haha! :lol:
Lynna

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:33 am

Yeah, I definitely agree with nln_rose and skreyola. I personally have this system: I plan to watch every available anime on Hulu and CR (that I'm interested in) and considering they are gradually adding more titles, maybe by the time I finish they'll have others that I'd like to see but that are currently only available on illegal sites. Now manga's a different story. CR's trying to start that whole manga reading thing online but they won't let you read chapters that are currently published in volumes. So yeah, before this whole piracy thing even remotely improves, they'll have to improve availability for those outside of Japan. Not everyone wants to risk buying something they're not even sure they're going to like.
'What one does not understand one fears. What one fears, one destroys.' -Native American Indian Proverb
"Man: What surprises you most about mankind? God: That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up, and then long to be children again. That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health. That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live in neither the present nor the future. That they live as though they will never die and die as though they never lived."

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby Xeno » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:03 am

Back when I was into anime I had this habit of downloading a show while it was still airing in Japan with subtitling done by fan groups. If I enjoyed the show enough, when (if) it got a US license I bought it. We didn't have sites like Netflix, Hulu, or Crunchyroll back in the early 2000's, so we did what we had to. I get that they want to cut down on piracy, anyone with substantial IP wants to do the same, however, I think they'll run into the same problems the RIAA and MPAA ran into here in the US with anti-piracy laws and actions...no one will care enough to actually stop.
Xeno

Postby Nate » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:19 pm

I often don't feel too bad about pirating/streaming anime if it's an older series. Like, nobody's doing anything with the El-Hazard property, so I don't feel bad if I go on a streaming site to watch it there. Because even IF I bought a legal disc, the company who originally licensed the property isn't going to get any of that money, so if they're not getting money either way, why should I bother?

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby blkmage » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:30 am

ah yes, let's start off the land war by focusing on asia, what could go wrong
blkmage

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:50 pm

Xeno wrote:Back when I was into anime I had this habit of downloading a show while it was still airing in Japan with subtitling done by fan groups. If I enjoyed the show enough, when (if) it got a US license I bought it. We didn't have sites like Netflix, Hulu, or Crunchyroll back in the early 2000's, so we did what we had to. I get that they want to cut down on piracy, anyone with substantial IP wants to do the same, however, I think they'll run into the same problems the RIAA and MPAA ran into here in the US with anti-piracy laws and actions...no one will care enough to actually stop.

Nate wrote:I often don't feel too bad about pirating/streaming anime if it's an older series. Like, nobody's doing anything with the El-Hazard property, so I don't feel bad if I go on a streaming site to watch it there. Because even IF I bought a legal disc, the company who originally licensed the property isn't going to get any of that money, so if they're not getting money either way, why should I bother?

Yeah. In the beginning I always watched stuff on illegal sites cause I didn't really know that these were illegal and that Hulu and CR were free and legal. Personally I don't really think it's that bad to watch a series on an illegal site if it hasn't been officially licensed. If there's a legal alternative, take it. If not, then they might need to provide one.

PLCDreamcatcher14

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews