When you try to show anime to your friends and family...

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: When you try to show anime to your friends and family...

Postby Nate » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:04 pm

nln_rose wrote:for example my family hates any kind of nudity or cussing in tv...

That's harsh, I guess you weren't allowed to watch Dexter's Laboratory as a kid because in one episode they show Dexter in the shower with his butt visible.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Aven » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:12 am

Watched the first episode of Kuroko no Basket with my dad. I had seen about four episodes prior, and I had recently put the crunchyroll app on our Roku player. He wasn't really paying much attention after the shirtless statistic scene, but then later in the episode when Kagami swore during the basketball game, he told me to turn it off. My mom, dad, and I watch the Walking Dead together, so they aren't really upset when it comes to swearing or violence, but my guess is that since my younger siblings were in the room reading the subtitles with us, he didn't want them exposed to swearing just yet.

I might try to get my mom to watch an anime with me soon. I genuinely think she would enjoy Attack on Titan (and cry at it) or Puella Magi Madoka Magica, but I'm not sure yet. Still a little nervous about asking my parents to watch anime with me. They're a little wary of the genre after seeing my friend try to get me to watch playthroughs of DMMD. They looked up screenshots and lets just say they were very concerned about anime after that. But, I'm sure they have looked up titles like Attack on Titan before after hearing me and my friends talk about it, and they haven't said anything about it yet, so we'll see.

Any suggestions as to (mature but not inappropriate, preferably new) anime to show them? No bad language or violence/gore worse than the Walking Dead, preferably.
Aven

Postby MangaRocks! » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:42 am

^ Mushishi (+ specials/sequel).
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:32 pm

Aven wrote:I might try to get my mom to watch an anime with me soon. I genuinely think she would enjoy Attack on Titan (and cry at it) or Puella Magi Madoka Magica, but I'm not sure yet.

I actually got my mom to watch some Attack on Titan with me and at first she wasn't too into it but after several episodes she started chewing her nails and constantly asking questions about what was going to happen next and then getting all frustrated when I wouldn't tell her. lol. XD There were even times when she'd say 'we're only watching two episodes for now' but then after we'd finish them she said 'ok, one more.' I've got my dad watching it now. I'm not really sure if he likes it or not. Sometimes he acts like he's not paying attention and other times it's like he's focusing on it but, I don't know. X)

Aven wrote:Any suggestions as to (mature but not inappropriate, preferably new) anime to show them? No bad language or violence/gore worse than the Walking Dead, preferably.

Well, I've never seen the Walking Dead but I've got an idea about the violence (what with it being a zombie show and all) but not the language.

Um...I'd say maybe...Death Note? It's got a more realistic art style and is classified as a psychological thriller. Language is mild and though there's lots of death there's actually not a ton of violence. It does have death gods though but they're depicted more as another race of beings. It's also directed by the same guy who directed Attack on Titan so it's very intense.

Clannad/Clannad After Story (which I see on the 'what anime are you watching' thread that you are watching). Mild language and a few fist fights (plus slapstick humor). It's pretty cute and a definite tearjerker.

Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo. Mild infrequent language a little violence. It's pretty dark though. There's also cases of adultery and one case of incest but nothing is ever shown just implied and these things aren't supported either.

That's all I can think of for right now. Hope this helps. :)
'What one does not understand one fears. What one fears, one destroys.' -Native American Indian Proverb
"Man: What surprises you most about mankind? God: That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up, and then long to be children again. That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health. That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live in neither the present nor the future. That they live as though they will never die and die as though they never lived."
"God expects spiritual fruit not religious nuts."

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby Thunderscream872 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:52 pm

Aven wrote:Any suggestions as to (mature but not inappropriate, preferably new) anime to show them? No bad language or violence/gore worse than the Walking Dead, preferably.

Being that your family is really into The Walking Dead, I’m gonna base my suggestions on the type of show it is, the characters, the setting, content, etc. I realize that most of these aren’t exactly similar to TWD, but they are more mature anime with very little to none of the more extreme elements of anime such as distorted, erratic humor and excessive fanservice (which could easily be turn-offs for people unfamiliar with the genre)

I would advise you to watch anything you’re gonna show your parents beforehand. You know what they will tolerate allot more than any of us do. Also, take into consideration that whatever anime you show them, they will more than likely generalize and associate all other anime with that show—that’s just the way the older generations seem to be when it comes to this sort of thing. Anyways onto recommendations:

I’ve watched these all in the English dub, so if you only watch subbed, this might be only partially helpful to you. I go into more detail on the shows your parents might find more questionable, based on what you’ve said.

Attack on Titan: If your family are already into The Walking Dead, this is kind of a given. It’s similar enough that its not totally alien to them, and it tends to stay away from some of the more extreme elements of anime. I’ve only seen up to episode 13 so far, but I’m assuming you’ve watched it all.

Btooom! (2012) (12 episodes): http://myanimelist.net/anime/14345/Btooom!
Sexual Content/Nudity: A girl is almost raped, and the scene is pretty explicit, but no actual nudity. I believe there are a couple other instances of sexual assault.
Violence: People use bombs to blow each other up, what more can I say…
Language: Ch**st, F**k (both only used once in the dub)
Comments: I would argue that Btooom actually has allot more in common with TWD than AoT does. It focuses allot more on survival, and the brutality that happens when you pit people against each other and force them into killing each other to survive.

Guilty Crown (2011-2012) (22 episodes): http://myanimelist.net/anime/10793/Guilty_Crown

Code Geass (2006-2008) (50 episodes): http://myanimelist.net/anime/1575/Code_ ... no_Lelouch
Sexual Content/Nudity: Brief Nudity, some fanservice
Comments: Even though this is somewhat of a Mecha, mechs are only a very small part of the show.

Sword Art Online (2012) (25 episodes): http://myanimelist.net/anime/11757/Sword_Art_Online

Psycho-Pass (2012-2013) (22 episodes, with a second season of 11 on the way): http://myanimelist.net/anime/13601/Psycho-Pass
Sexual Content: Attempted Rape, Nude paintings/sculptures, two character in bed together, no actual people in the animation are ever completely show naked
Violence: Pretty extreme at points—criminal commit brutal violent crimes against innocent people, and the law enforcers use guns that literally make people explode…yeah.

Death Note (2006-2007) (37 episodes): http://myanimelist.net/anime/1535/Death_Note

Darker Than Black (2007-2010) (41 episodes—this is including 2 seasons and the Gaiden OVA, all of which you should watch if you decide to watch it):
Sexual Content: Some fanservice
http://myanimelist.net/anime/2025/Darke ... Keiyakusha

Steins;Gate (2011) (24 episodes + OVA + Movie): http://myanimelist.net/anime/9253/Steins;Gate

Gundam 00 (2007-2009) (50 episodes + a movie): http://myanimelist.net/anime/2581/Mobile_Suit_Gundam_00

Black Lagoon (2006-2008) (24 episodes): http://myanimelist.net/anime/889/Black_Lagoon
Sexual Content/Nudity: Brief Nudity, other than that there a few remarks here and there, but nothing too extreme
Violence: Lots of action, explosions, and gunfights, lol. It can be bloody at times
Language: Anything flies in this show, and swearing is pretty frequent

Monster (2004-2005) (74 episodes): http://myanimelist.net/anime/19/Monster
Sexual Content/Nudity: Yes
Comments: I wouldn’t recommend it. It drags own far too long, and could have easily been told in 26-35 episodes. Also, most of the characters are very bland.

Deadman Wonderland (2011) (12 episodes): http://myanimelist.net/anime/6880/Deadman_Wonderland
Sexual Content/Nudity: Suggested Rape, Brief Nudity
Violence: Very bloody/gory at times
Strongest Language: Basically anything is said swearing-wise
Comments: Wouldn’t recommend it. The ending is very unfulfilling, and leaves way too much open, though it does have the whole survival thing going for it.

I've watched all of these. You might also wanna look into Gungrave and Fate/Zero. I'm currently watching both of them--they're both really good, and might be suitable to show to your parents. I haven't finished them yet so, I don't feel bad about not writing up a "content advisory" on them, lol.

Anyways, I hope this helps!

NOTE: I only gave links to the first seasons of these shows.
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby Aven » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:28 pm

Thank you for the suggestions!!

They know about Death Note and have looked it up. It was the first anime I was into and, being that they only looked up a few reviews instead of ACTUALLY watching it to determine how 'bad' it was, disliked the storyline. They didn't like that it was all about murder and death and they didn't appreciate the Death God aspect of the show. Don't get me wrong, they aren't super picky as far as what shows I watch/what books I read. They allowed me to continue reading Death Note if I chose to (I did, and to be honest, the manga is much more dark than the anime, which is what they looked up). They also have let me watch whatever else I have started that they didn't like the look of (Dangan Ronpa).

I assume that they would like some of the stuff I've seen (Attack on Titan, Dangan Ronpa, Madoka, and Death Note, especially) because I know they have a tendency to look up reviews and not watch the whole thing. For instance, I went to see Mean Girls with my friends recently, and my mom looked up the IMDB review of the movie. She didn't like how the movie looked and we talked with my dad before I left to see how he felt. They let me go watch it, and I came back and started a talk about what I thought of it (which were positive things) and we watched it together a few days later. They ended up enjoying it and the ultimate moral.

Anyways, big explanation over. They aren't super strict at all and I think that if they gave some of the shows a chance, they would really enjoy them. So, thank you for more suggestions! I will look into some of those for sure. c:
Aven

Postby Xeno » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:27 am

If you're going to watch Gundam, then watch Mobile Suit Gundam and Zeta Gundam. 00 is...I can't really describe it, but it's not nearly as good as MSG and Zeta were.

Also watch The Big O and Redline.
Xeno

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:45 am

Aven wrote:Thank you for the suggestions!!

They know about Death Note and have looked it up. It was the first anime I was into and, being that they only looked up a few reviews instead of ACTUALLY watching it to determine how 'bad' it was, disliked the storyline. They didn't like that it was all about murder and death and they didn't appreciate the Death God aspect of the show. Don't get me wrong, they aren't super picky as far as what shows I watch/what books I read. They allowed me to continue reading Death Note if I chose to (I did, and to be honest, the manga is much more dark than the anime, which is what they looked up). They also have let me watch whatever else I have started that they didn't like the look of (Dangan Ronpa).

I assume that they would like some of the stuff I've seen (Attack on Titan, Dangan Ronpa, Madoka, and Death Note, especially) because I know they have a tendency to look up reviews and not watch the whole thing. For instance, I went to see Mean Girls with my friends recently, and my mom looked up the IMDB review of the movie. She didn't like how the movie looked and we talked with my dad before I left to see how he felt. They let me go watch it, and I came back and started a talk about what I thought of it (which were positive things) and we watched it together a few days later. They ended up enjoying it and the ultimate moral.

Anyways, big explanation over. They aren't super strict at all and I think that if they gave some of the shows a chance, they would really enjoy them. So, thank you for more suggestions! I will look into some of those for sure. c:

You're welcome. And you really are lucky! Most people including several people on here don't have parents that are as lenient. I guess I'm pretty lucky too. My parents (mostly my mom) we're pretty wary of me watching anime once they knew what some of the content was but now they don't care. lol. This just means they trust me enough with what I watch and now they can show me some of the shows and movies they like too.
'What one does not understand one fears. What one fears, one destroys.' -Native American Indian Proverb
"Man: What surprises you most about mankind? God: That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up, and then long to be children again. That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health. That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live in neither the present nor the future. That they live as though they will never die and die as though they never lived."

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby Vracer111 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:27 pm

My family is not in a typical relationship/status since the past few years. My mother is living out of state because of religious beliefs at a place she and my father bought. My father lives with me and supports my mom through his job. They are not divorced, and my father goes to see her every so often, and talks with her many times weekly when they are physically apart. My father and I go to see her in the Fall. My mother comes down to my place and lives with my father afterwards during the winter months. My mother has always given me a little grief when I was growing up about watching anime, and I'm now nearing 40...LOL. She goes, "why do you waste your money on that 'anime'... Of what real value is it?" One evening, when she was spending some extended time over at my house during the winter, she asked if I had planned to watch anything. I said nothing really, but if she was interested and willing I had an anime I would like to show her that I feel she might like. She was willing, so I take out Usagi Drop and start it ...after the first episode she wants to watch more, second episode as well.... it was late at night and she was falling asleep like she always does with TV/movies, so I went ahead and turned it off and let her rest. She's someone who has sat down to watch many shows and movies on her own accord by herself and falls asleep halfway through...not sure if she's ever watch a movie entirely through...wait.... she watched Pacific Rim (I told her this was probably not something she would like to see when she asked what we were going to watch) with my Father and I and didn't fall asleep, actually 'somewhat' enjoyed it! :wow!: ) Next day she was wondering if I wanted to continue with Usagi Drop later - so, if it's the right show my mother is willing to see anime! Just don't show her any anime with Sci/Fi , Robots, violent content, any type of nudity, magic/sorcery, or cursing in it.... you know, the majority of available anime... LOL

My father is more understanding, he enjoys Cowboy Bebop... (even would say "I don't think your mom would like this...you know how she is.." ) and has just randomly walked into the living room and sat down when I start up new anime titles I've ordered and received in.

I don't actively try to get others to watch anime, I would have to really know the person to properly point them in the right direction and recommend something they might enjoy. There is a co-worker I've gotten to know who has always expressed interest in CGi animation and I told him about the Appleseed movies (Alpha, Appleseed, and Ex-Machina) and let him borrow my copies recently. He really enjoyed them and asked if there were any serious action/Sci-Fi "non-cartoony" anime series I would recommend. I showed him some trailers of Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell: SAC, and he is very interested. I will let him borrow my copies whenever he has time to see them.
Vracer111

Postby Thunderscream872 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:02 am

Aven wrote:Thank you for the suggestions!!

No problem! lol, yeah, some of the imagery for Death Note could be a little misleading.

Honestly, though, if your folks are cool with TWD, I don't see what the problem would be (content-wise) with most of the suggestions you've been given. lol, my parents would NEVER watch TWD or anything near that violent. Heck, I don't even talk to them about entertainment for the most part unless it's about Star Wars or Star Trek--my dad is kinda into those. I almost complete avoid tv shows, movies, music, etc. around my mom--she's pretty strict. I know they wouldn't be happy if they found out I watched half the stuff I do, but they're not really controlling, so whatever.

A little more on topic, I finally got my sister to watch Death Note, and she really liked it. She actually ended up binge watching most of it over like four days. At first she was all like "this is the only anime I'm gonna watch", but now she's expressed interest in seeing FMA. I want to get her to watch Steins;Gate too, I think she'd really enjoy it.
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby LastLfan » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:35 am

All last year at school i championed the cause of anime. I convinced one person to watch attack on titan and he loved it. Keep in mind this is a christian high school of 15 kids, so imagine my surprise when i come back from summer and two of the people most against anime and watched FMA, one had seen death note and AoT as well while the other had seen SAO. So now i have this whole group at school who watch anime and it's so great.
LastLfan

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:53 pm

LastLfan wrote:All last year at school i championed the cause of anime. I convinced one person to watch attack on titan and he loved it. Keep in mind this is a christian high school of 15 kids, so imagine my surprise when i come back from summer and two of the people most against anime and watched FMA, one had seen death note and AoT as well while the other had seen SAO. So now i have this whole group at school who watch anime and it's so great.

Whoa. That really is awesome L! :n_n: (Do you mind if I call you that?) That would be amazing. If only it were that easy to convert more people to things.

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby Rose Faerie » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:57 pm

Well, I've had mixed results...
My siblings and I grew up on a lot of the Ghibli movies and Pokemon (and a whole bunch of other monster pet shows), but I was the only one who really stuck with anime. In fact, they used to make fun of me for it. (Especially my brother.)

I tried to show my brother My Hero Academia a while back, but he quit two minutes in. Now that anime is the "cool thing" all his friends like, he rewatched it and really liked it. He's now binging Naruto like there's no tomorrow, and asking me for recommendations.

I got my sister to watch K-On with me, a few years ago. She enjoyed it at the time. I also subjected her to Sailor Moon (a lot of Sailor Moon), and she lost interest. She was okay with it at first, but I think it started to get on her nerves. I was able to get her to watch Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun, which she liked. (She actually still rewatches this one.) Eventually her teacher (who she really respects) mentioned that her daughter was really into My Hero Academia. My sister decided to give it a try, and we watched it while cleaning. I couldn't tell if she liked it or not. Then one of us stepped on the remote and she freaked out. I got her to see the first season, and the first season of the Fruits Basket reboot, which she basically binged in a day. Then she lost interest in anything other than Ghibli.

I can't see my parents watching anime. I just can't. I don't even know what they watch, anyways. I just know I'm not allowed to watch most of it. I just know they've seen snippets of Ghibli movies. They like Totoro, but my dad thinks the family bathing scene is weird. My mom actually was the one who checked out all the Ghibli movies from the library and got us hooked. And I know they've seen some Pokemon. (We were obsessed.)
Rose Faerie

Postby Sammy Boy » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:36 am

An interesting topic!

My wife and I both enjoy watching anime, so generally no issues. Our daughter also loves it to a lesser extent. Somehow she prefers watching real people in series or films, and does not enjoy animated features as much.

But Studio Ghibli stuff is a regular favourite of ours.

The only thing I struggle is no one else in the family loves super robot anime. I wonder why? :D
Sammy Boy

Postby Rose Faerie » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:26 am

So, uh, I accidentally got my sister into Death Note. It was her idea to watch it, even, since she saw a fanart on Instagram. Now we're watching it together. It was very surprising since she usually isn't into that kind of stuff. She even wants to read the manga now. Maybe I could get her to watch Fullmetal Alchemist...
Rose Faerie

Postby ClaecElric4God » Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:48 pm

I've already posted in here, but yeah. I gave up on introducing anime to any of my family except the one sister who got into it with me. My other sister's fiance, during our first conversation ever, blatantly asked me why I love anime because he hates it. People are weird.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby Rose Faerie » Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:42 pm

Okay, so my sister is obsessed with Death Note now. That was completely unintentional. We watched the Way of the House Husband, which she also liked. And then I made the grave mistake of showing her the first episode of Demon Slayer...I forgot how brutal that was. I accidentally traumatized her. We did see some of Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood too. She thought that one was okay. At least I was smart enough to skip the Nina episode...
Rose Faerie

Previous

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews