Log horizon vs SAO, the battle is set

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Log horizon vs SAO, the battle is set

Postby LastLfan » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:01 am

Sword art online season 2 begins this summer and as it will probably be another 25 episodes it will un into the fall season when Log horizon season 2 starts, the two aired in different years last season but since on the surface they are both "trapped on the game" anime do you think they will clash, which one will you watch...or both like me!
LastLfan

Re: Log horizon vs SAO, the battle is set

Postby KazeShiki » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:08 am

SAO will only be 1 cour because it's only adapting GGO. Mahouka is pretty SAO though so enjoy summer season.
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Postby drill » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:42 am

Like you, I will also be watching both; however, I have higher expectations for Log Horizon than SAO.
drill

Postby John_Smith » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:08 pm

LastLfan wrote:Log horizon vs SAO, the battle is set

*Laughes nefariously*

I actually still haven't seen Log Horizon. I need to check that one off the list before their second season starts.

KazeShiki wrote:SAO will only be 1 cour because it's only adapting GGO. Mahouka is pretty SAO though so enjoy summer season.

Really? I thought they'd be doing a full 25 episodes. From whence does this information come, KazeShiki?
John_Smith

Postby KazeShiki » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:26 pm

John_Smith wrote:
KazeShiki wrote:SAO will only be 1 cour because it's only adapting GGO. Mahouka is pretty SAO though so enjoy summer season.

Really? I thought they'd be doing a full 25 episodes. From whence does this information come, KazeShiki?

My own assumptions. They probably want to do 2 cour, and it's not like they can't, I guess. But in terms of content, it would make no sense to do so. They would have to both drag out the pacing a lot as well as include somewhat disjointed information (or even random filler) to fill in those extra ~12 episodes. The GGO arc is something that could be realistically done in like 9-10 episodes. Basically, if it ends up being 2 cour, they're making some really strange and questionable storyboarding decisions.

Similar thing with Log Horizon. There's not enough source material to be 2 cour. If they want to do 2 cour, they'll either be making filler or have to work closely with the author to do stuff that isn't published. I think he posted some stuff on the web so maybe they could include that but otherwise, 1 cour is far more likely.
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Postby John_Smith » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:54 pm

Is there any reason why they aren’t going to adapt Mother's Rosario and Early and Late after GGO for a second cour? I definitely think you're right about one cour for GGO though. Then again, there was the extra edition…

My hope and dream would be that they interchange GGO with at least Mother’s Rosario. With my understanding of what’s in those two arcs, jumping between the two would give the series a good balance.
John_Smith

Postby KazeShiki » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:28 am

The main problem is Early and Late is just retconning earlier stuff. Only a small portion actually makes sense to adapt, timeline wise, which is what I was referring to as disjointed information. Actually, part of it was already in season 1. Including Mother's Rosario only is too much content, so they pretty much have to include the next vol too, except it's just side-stories, only 1 of which fits the timeline iirc. Now there's the problem of either dragging out pacing or just throwing in the retcons anyway to make the 2 cour.

Perhaps I was too quick to dismiss 2 cour, but I don't like the idea. My biggest problem is that it would result in a very weak ending to the series. I admit, I'm not a fan of the series, but ending at GGO is a whole lot more satisfying than ending anywhere else. Just make the other content into some OVA eps for the fans or something and leave GGO isolated.
KazeShiki

Postby Will » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:16 pm

I'll watch both. However Log Horizon looks more interesting based on the recent cliffhanger and where the writers decide to take the story next.
Will

Postby marro1 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:53 pm

I thought SAO was over. That's awesome that they're making another season. I can't wait.
Now I see. You’re Jealous. You’re jealous of humans aren’t you? According to you, humans are supposed to be a lot weaker than homunculi. And yet, even if they get discouraged after being beaten, and even if they get close to falling down after losing their paths, they continue to get up and fight. Everyone around them helps them get back up. And you’re envious of that.
Edward

I'm a worthless piece of garbage that can't even write a straight looking K!
Death the Kid.

marro1

Postby nln_rose » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:11 pm

i'll wind up watching Log Horizon when it comes out as well. i already read the light novels for SAO and can't wait to see how they do this. I really hope that they bring in mothers rosario.
I hope you don't mind me barging in like this. In spite of the profession I've chosen, I've never actually made a confession before. It's these times we live in. I did what it took to protect the children at any cost. That's how I always justified my actions. I took many people's lives, all that time believing there was no other way. My sins are so heavy. Too heavy. Too heavy to ever atone for. And yet, somehow I feel happy, at peace with myself today. It really can be done. Once you stop to think about it, there are plenty of ways to save everyone. Why didn't I ever listen to him? Why didn't I see that before it was too late? -Nicholas D. Wolfwood (Priest)
nln_rose

Postby nln_rose » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:20 pm

John_Smith wrote:Is there any reason why they aren’t going to adapt Mother's Rosario and Early and Late after GGO for a second cour? I definitely think you're right about one cour for GGO though. Then again, there was the extra edition…

My hope and dream would be that they interchange GGO with at least Mother’s Rosario. With my understanding of what’s in those two arcs, jumping between the two would give the series a good balance.

well from their pacing it looks like they're going to be doing at least one of those 2 but i can't see why not. they fit 4.5 light in the last series (the first part of early and late was around episode 4 i believe) i can't see why they couldn't fit the 3.5 novels in this season.
I hope you don't mind me barging in like this. In spite of the profession I've chosen, I've never actually made a confession before. It's these times we live in. I did what it took to protect the children at any cost. That's how I always justified my actions. I took many people's lives, all that time believing there was no other way. My sins are so heavy. Too heavy. Too heavy to ever atone for. And yet, somehow I feel happy, at peace with myself today. It really can be done. Once you stop to think about it, there are plenty of ways to save everyone. Why didn't I ever listen to him? Why didn't I see that before it was too late? -Nicholas D. Wolfwood (Priest)
nln_rose

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews