Dragon Ball GT

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Dragon Ball GT

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:47 pm

Um...stay away from all of them maybe? Lol, no, the only dub I can think of that was absolutely terrible was Sailor Moon, but I don't like that show anyway so....
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby BrianC » Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:02 pm

ShiroiHikari wrote:Um...stay away from all of them maybe? Lol, no, the only dub I can think of that was absolutely terrible was Sailor Moon, but I don't like that show anyway so....

Well, there are actually dubs out there that are far worse than Sailor Moon, and not necessarily edited ones. Then there are the dubs that make way too many changes for no reason at all (I'm talking actual dialog changes and liberties in the translation). When I like the show in the subtitles, these are the changes that I hate to see.

In the case of Dragon Ball GT, at least a subtitled version is available for those who want to see the original. However, I too am annoyed at the fact that the music has been changed to techno stuff like in the US dub of DBZ(or so I heard). I don't like what I heard about the dub, but to be honest, I'm not really interested in DBGT. However, even more annoying then the dub changes are the skipped episodes. I heard that DBGT isn't the best show ever, but skipping 15 or so episodes is uncalled for.
"Your sense of fashion, Roger, really reeks"-Dorothy, Big O
BrianC

Postby Aibou » Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:25 pm

Although GT isn't a good anime IMO, I'm just really glad we're getting the Blue Water dub here... It's mostly kept intact *phew*

Cardcaptors, Yu-Gi-Oh... definately...
//HBNU Creations// - Webmanga in the works!
//My DeviantArt// - Check my art ;D
//Everlasting// - My LiveJournal.
Aibou

Postby Bobtheduck » Sat Aug 30, 2003 8:09 pm

Hm... DBGT was interesting for the first few eps. I was thinking "Hmm, this isn't the repetitive crap like DBZ! It's actually interesting!" then it was even worse than DBZ...

Aside from that, Sailormoon was the most altered show I'd ever seen, to the point of changing gender, intention, and even personality of it's characters (they changed Rei's personality making her even more 1 dimensional, wheras the Rei from the original was somewhat 3d...)

Of course, Pokemon is the same way... That show is rediculously altered, in fact WB brags about it in the commentary on the movie disc...

I have never seen Yu-gi-oh subbed, nor Digimon or whatever... But I can imagine they are pretty bad... But SM had a better story than all of those to begin with, so that's why more people complain about SM more than about the others... Well, that and people offered synopses and fansubbe episodes of SM...

Speaking of Fansubs, I saw a Fansubed DBGT... It was incredibly funny... I mean, these morons practically made up dialogue to be what they wanted it to be. They filled it with F-words and put dialogues where there was nothing being said, and I know enough Japanese to know that what was being said was not really what was in the subs. Some of the stuff was right, so it's not like they didn't speak Japanese, it's just that the fansubbers decided to spice it up a bit by changing it completely. So much for subs being more accurate... The same goes for legit subs... sometimes they are even worse than fansubs... That's why we all need to learn japanese language and culture so we can watch it raw!
Bobtheduck

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Aug 30, 2003 8:40 pm

Well, I get the feeling I've said this before, but I'm going to go ahead anyway. When GT first came out, it was a break from typical DBZ fare (as some of you seem to have noticed). This was horribly unpopular, and the series lost most of the DBZ following. So for the American version, I think they just wanted to avoid this happening again. It's all about the money, as usual.
uc pseudonym

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews