MOMENTOUS OCCASION

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

MOMENTOUS OCCASION

Postby PandaPop » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:16 pm

(exact date unknown) Pretty much it has been around a year now that I have been "Consistently" (almost every night lol) watching anime, it has changed my world...

Anyway I have two questions for everyone
1. How long have you been consistently watching anime?
2. What is your most memorable anime (not necessarily favorite)

For me it would have to be Bleach specifically the movie "Memories of Nobody" it wasn't the first anime I watched but it was really the first anime that sparked my love :P , I didn't get really into anime right after I saw it but I did start to watch a show here and there and it just slowly progressed!
PandaPop

Re: MOMENTOUS OCCASION

Postby drill » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:56 pm

I have been consistently watching anime for about 4 months now. I would have to say that my most memorable anime is probably Steins;Gate, don't really know why though.
drill

Postby ClaecElric4God » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:45 pm

1. Hm, since last March or April, I think.
2. My most memorable anime? Ah, that's a really hard one. Anime came at a very...interesting time in my life, so my most memorable anime is probably Fullmetal Alchemist. That was the first anime I watched, and it definitely brings back memories. And yet...D.N.Angel, Air, and Tsubasa...AGH! I'm just gonna go with FMA for the sake of simplicity. I'm leaving before I change my mind!
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby ForeverInspired » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:13 pm

I think that I really got into it at the beginning of this year. I have to find the most memorable anime? Well, it's not Princess Tutu (the first anime that I ever watched). It was good and got me into anime - that's all. I guess that I'll pick The Disappearance of Haruhi. I still can see Kyon questioning himself in my head. It was definitely the best movie that I have watched so far, and I was in shock at the 360 degree turn from a decent 2 series to a grand finale.
ForeverInspired

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:16 pm

Ooo, this looks like fun :D

1. 10 years o_o;;
2.Uhm, I'm gonna go with TRC. I adored that show XD;; and it's given me a lot of great memories >u<
"People need fear, we experience it so we can grow stronger"-Maka Albarn
Panda4christ:3

Location: There are some things you should just keep to yourself

Postby KazeShiki » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:37 pm

8 or 9 years now. Though I don't think I started watching ongoing anime until 2006-ish.
ef~A Tale of Memories was the first time a trailer actually hyped me up for the show. And then it delivered everything I could ask for.
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Postby Lynna » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:18 pm

I didn't really ever think about how long I've been into anime since you asked. 6 years. Of course, there isn't really a 'consistant' for me. I don't watch it every day, and there are times when I've been more interested in manga than anime, or have had to put it on hold because of life.
It's hard to say which anime has been the most significant for me. FullMetal Alchemist and FMA: brotherhood blew me away like few anime had done before it, though.
Lynna

Postby John_Smith » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:11 pm

Happy animeversary, Panda Pop!
Get it, get it? ...Right, moving on.

Right, so I've been watching anime consistently since April or so, with a week long break here or there (during which time I'm looking anime up to see what I should watch next).
And I think people know what my most memorable anime is.

You: SAO?
Me: Yes, SAO.
John_Smith

Postby GeneD » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:24 am

About 10 years I think, starting somewhere in 2003, although not as consistently from the start as I'd have liked since anime was hard to get hold of. I also had major anime burn out where I watched next to nothing for a little over a year in 2011/2012, but I've been making up for it excessively ever since.

There’s no way I can pick just one memorable anime moment, so here follows a brief history of GeneD and anime:

- Dirty Pair Flash, marathon-ing it on the Sci Fi channel late into the night/morning when I was still very new to anime. To this day the high school ghost episode gives me the creeps whenever I think about it. I should totally go re-visit my roots and watch the whole OAV series sometime.

- Unsuspectingly watching part of Perfect Blue at a slumber party at a friend's house. "Mmm we wonder why this is rated 16 (or 18 can't remember), it's a cartoon so it can't be that bad can it?" Oh you poor naive little children (we were in high school, but still). Needless to say it's absolutely hilarious in hindsight, but I have yet to finish the whole film.

- Death Note, because it got me out of the Bleach rut, as in, there are things much better than Bleach, go watch those.

- Spirited Away, the only anime I watched with my whole family.

- Watching almost everything, quality or not, that aired on Animax because the Sci Fi channel had been cancelled years before and now anime was back on TV and it was amazing. Related to that, getting my mom to watch a random episode of Gundam SEED near the end of the series because I was going to miss it that day and needed to know what happened. She took notes.

- Watching Sword of the Stranger and Tokyo Godfather with my friends during a hectic thunderstorm at my house and praying to God my computer doesn't explode. Thankfully, it did not.

- Birdy the Mighty Decode, while I don't think I actually watched this streaming, can't quite remember, it was the discussion of the series on the CAA Radio podcast that made me realise there were actually shows on Crunchyroll/Funimation's Youtube that were licensed for my region, thus starting the streaming era.

- Mononoke, watching it with Mr. Hat'n'Clogs' CAA Let's Watch effectively broke my anime drought.

- Making an active effort ever since then to watch good things and finding all kinds of lovely works like Tsuritama, Hyouka, Ouran, Natsume, Princess Tutu, Library War, Kids on the Slope, Rainbow... and the list marches on.
GeneD

Postby rocklobster » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:17 am

As a child, my first anime was Voltron, or as it's known in Japan, Beast King Golion. I was unaware that it was Japanese at the time. Then in the 90's, Ronin Warriors (called Yoroiden Samurai Troopers in Japan) debuted and I knew that was Japanese because I'd seen samurai armor when I did a research project on Japan for school. It wasn't until I researched anime more and discovered Voltron's origins that I became the serious otaku I am today. You whipper-snappers and your internets and Crappy Networks, you don't know how easy you have it today.
rocklobster

Postby PandaPop » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:38 pm

John_Smith wrote:Happy animeversary, Panda Pop!
Get it, get it? ...Right, moving on.

I had that..."Wait what..."reads again"...ohhhh :lol:" moment

I'm so jealous of all of you guys who have been watching for so long, I feel like I have missed out on so much awesomeness :waah!:, I guess now I get the fun of catching up though (if possible, there are so many shows I want to watch!!!)
PandaPop

Postby Okami » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:48 pm

I don't think I have ever....consistently....watched anime.

I have had some fun times sharing series-watching with friends, though. Baccano! for instance, was one of those "Screw homework, I'm done with college!" series (not that you CAN successfully watch that while doing homework, especially in the first run through. :P)
Okami

Postby LastLfan » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:19 am

Well i first started watching anime as anime and not just stuff that happened to be on like pokemon around last july, a friend told me i HAD to watch death note so i did, then i hit a lull, then i caught a random episode of bleach...and that same friend made me watch the first season. So i've had a series of highs and lows of anime watching and im just kinda wierd like that. :) but i try to watch at least one series per set. But lately the lulls are shorter an the watching is longer :) death note holds a very special place in my heart BUT one outs was the first subbed anime I watched all the way through and the first anime someone on this site recomended to me.
LastLfan

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:01 am

I've been watching anime more or less consistently for...eight years now, I guess ._. Wow, I didn't realize it was that long! The anime that really plunged me into this world, the one that has changed my life more than any other and has remained the most memorable, is Full Metal Alchemist. Absolutely my favorite story in the world.
the_wolfs_howl

Postby ClosetOtaku » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:12 am

I have been watching anime consistently since 2000.

By any measure -- most impact, favorite, etc. -- the anime most significant in my life has been Haibane Renmei.
ClosetOtaku

Postby FourFourSeven » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:43 am

I've been watching since 2002. My first dose, you ask?

Love Hina, episode 22
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

"Why can't EVERYTHING be rocket propelled?!"
-Mattias Nilsson, Mercenaries 2: World In Flames
FourFourSeven

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews