Clannad and similar anime

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Clannad and similar anime

Postby Sammy Boy » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:37 am

I didn't know what to expect when I saw season 1 of this series at my local library. But since it was free to borrow, I decided to try it.

My wife and I found the story surprisingly interesting and pleasant in some aspects, hence I decided to buy the whole collection (2 seasons, movie, 4 OVAs).

One of our favourite parts of the series is the end theme song "Dango Daikazoku". :)

If you can recommend any other anime series with similar levels of non-violence, plot, and theme songs that make you feel peaceful and happy, I would appreciate it. Thanks!
Sammy Boy

Re: Clannad and similar anime

Postby drill » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:00 am

Kanon (2006) is a very similar anime written and produced by the same people who did Clannad. However, I don't remember any songs like "Dango Daikazoku" in there though.
drill

Postby KnightOfFive » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:59 am

I can understand the comparison between Clannad and Kanon, they were produced by the same people and I enjoyed both immensely. I will say, however, that Kanon does have a far stronger supernatural element to it. That being said, the language and other themes seem if anything tamer than even Clannad so, it all depends on your personal judgement.
KnightOfFive

Postby Vii » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:03 pm

Kanon (2006) and Air, another anime by Key/KyoAni. I have seen Kanon, and it's very much similar to the first season of Clannad. Air I haven't seen, but I know people who enjoyed it.
AnoHana would be a good choice as well. No violence beyond mild fist fight level, plot is bittersweet, and the theme songs are quite peaceful.
Toradora might fit if you liked the romantic comedy aspects of the show. Again no violence beyond a fistfight and slapstick humor (which Clannad had anyway), the plot is cute and fun, but turns more dramatic later on, similar to Clannad. The theme songs...eh, they're more spunky than peaceful.
Vii

Postby Stead » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:52 am

Hey!

Like the others say, Key is your best bet. They make good bittersweet anime.
I started on Angel Beats then watched Clannad. Loved them. Angel beats is more aggressive but the plot is good!
I would recommend Little Busters too depending on your humour.

The Dango song was pretty good. I got my brother singing it and he's never watched the show. For me, a piece called "Two sugars" was my favourite in Little Busters.
Oh yea, I liked "Angel's Flight" in Angels Beats too.

You could try Oreshura too but... it's not Key :D Kinda teenage viewing but I liked it.
Stead

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews