Anime series with focus on friendships and character development

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Anime series with focus on friendships and character development

Postby Sammy Boy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:06 am

Hi everyone do you know of any series with a focus on these that you would recommend?

Don't mind violence, as long as it's not too much and not violence for violence's sake.

Would prefer the series to be set in "everyday" and "ordinary life" circumstances, but also okay with sci-fi or fantasy.

Something like Planetes or Fruits Basket would also interest me.

Thanks!
Sammy Boy

Re: Anime series with focus on friendships and character development

Postby Vilo159 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:39 am

Bamboo Blade! Its got fantastic characters, great development, lots of diversity, the interactions between the characters are really well done. One of the best shows I've seen in this aspect.

It's a slice-of-life about a high school kendo team, whose sensei takes a bet to beat another school's all girls team. The show revolves around building a team from scratch, and facing the challenges each new member has both in the sport and at home that they may have. The girls (and two guys) develop strong bonds that are tested throughout the show. I would highly recommend it!
Vilo159

Postby Hiryu » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:02 am

Depends on how much you want it to focus on character bonding and development. Most any show has this sort of thing.
Hiryu

Postby MangaRocks! » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:04 am

I've got two great ones: Natsume's Book Of Friends (all four seasons, which are actually divided into two on Crunchyroll), and Tsuritama. The former has a little fantasy in that there are yokai in it, and the latter has a little sci-fi in that there are aliens; however, both of them are fantastic shows with equally fantastic friendships and character development. :)

Hope you enjoy!
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:43 am

You shouldn't have much trouble finding an anime that deals with the theme of friendship. In fact, I'm pretty sure you could throw darts at a randomized list of shows and hit more than one that deals with friendship. I feel like I can recommend three entire genres here: sports shows, magical girl shows for children and mecha shows for children. You're basically guaranteed to find what you're looking for in these, with sports series likely to satisfy your urge for well done characterization.

As for particular titles, I totally second Tsuritama. I'll also throw out Mai Mai Miracle, Big Windup, Galaxy Drifter Vifam, Wolf's Rain and Xam'd. All of these titles have a strong focus on friendships, though there may be science fiction or fantasy elements to the stories.

Now, I am just getting into Planetes (and loving it, btw), and I find that it reminds me quite a bit of Library War, so you should check that out.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:37 pm

I third Tsuritama and second Big Windup. I'd also suggest Chihayafuru and Hyouka. Both do a fantastic job developing/growing the characters and friendships and are personal favorites. Hyouka isn't licensed, though, if that's a problem for you.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby SierraLea » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:51 pm

I cannot believe no one has brought up Zatch Bell! That's a sci-fi story, but almost all the characters really grow up and it's really clean.
SierraLea

Postby Atria35 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:42 pm

Kimi to Boku
Daily Lives of High School Boys
Space Bros
Ano Hana (mild fantasy/supernatural but deals STRONGLY with friendship and character growth)
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (utter sci-fi story, deconstruction of the super robot thing)
Atria35

Postby Vii » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:10 pm

I fourth Tsuritama, second Natsume's Book of Friends, second Chihayafuru, second AnoHana, and second Hyouka.

Tsuritama is the first thing that came to mind, since it's focus is almost entirely on friendship, and how it affects the socially awkward protagonist, as well as being very similar to slice-of-life (in this case, a life with fishing), but has some Sci-Fi elements that serve to further the friendship and character development.
Vii

Postby skreyola » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:59 pm

I'll second Bamboo Blade and Xam'd.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Shizuka » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:35 pm

shuffle is good it has demons and sfuff but no voilence that i remember
i love how this is a site that actually talks about anime i have no friends where i live that will talk about anime they all think im a geek
Last edited by mechana2015 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please don't multipost, if your post does not appear immediately, it is in a que, and will appear soon.
Shizuka

Postby Sammy Boy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:15 am

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, this is great!

I will have a look for Tsuritama, Space Bros also looks interesting to me.

@FllMtl Novelist - Not sure what you meant by Hyouka being unlicensed? I checked the link, it looks licensed to me (?).

My main problem at the moment is I don't want to continually buy anime that I want to watch. I prefer to rent if possible due to space issues at home, and the fact that I feel I don't need to own so many objects. But the local DVD rental store has a very small collection of anime...
Sammy Boy

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:37 am

As others have said, there are lots of anime that deal with friendship, so I'm going to try to think of some that don't have fantastical elements.

One Stormy Night - This is a lovely movie about a goat and a wolf who become friends. It's a great example of friendship that is stronger than anything, even the approval of their own kind.

Scamper the Penguin - A movie about two penguin friends who get lost, make a new friend, and grow up in the process of finding their way home.

Kodocha - Even though this is a shoujo and has some romance, I feel like the main focus is on friendship - making friends, keeping friends, suffering through the trials of life without letting negative circumstances get in the way of your friendships. And there's lots of character growth, for sure.

That's all I'm coming up with, but there are definitely some good fantasy animes that have strong friendships in them too.
the_wolfs_howl

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:50 pm

Sammy Boy wrote:@FllMtl Novelist - Not sure what you meant by Hyouka being unlicensed? I checked the link, it looks licensed to me (?).

I meant it isn't available legally in the US. If that's where you live (which I assumed?) and you want to watch it you'll have to use fansubs. The page I linked just provides information about the show, since I'm terrible at summarizing/pitching things myself. xD;
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Vilo159 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:27 pm

the_wolfs_howl wrote:Scamper the Penguin - A movie about two penguin friends who get lost, make a new friend, and grow up in the process of finding their way home.

My childhood! I've found it! Oh, such wonderful memories!
Vilo159

Postby Broly Ultimatrix » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:39 pm

Scamper, now that brings back memories. I had that on VHS. Anyway I can't resist saying that One Piece is essentially this topic in a very VERY larger nutshell. Yes it's an extremely long Anime by any standards but it's whoe focus is the developing individuals that make up the Straw hat crew and also the developing relationships between them. And then the plot, which starts off as most do with a kinda iffy slow going feel, is very well paced by my obliviose, optimistic perspective. Also any fighting i nthe whole series has some perpose towards the friends in some way shape or form. Not sure if it's quite what you're looking for but it fit's perfectly to me.
Broly Ultimatrix

Postby Vii » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:51 pm

Sammy Boy wrote:My main problem at the moment is I don't want to continually buy anime that I want to watch. I prefer to rent if possible due to space issues at home, and the fact that I feel I don't need to own so many objects. But the local DVD rental store has a very small collection of anime...

Are you able to stream videos? Tsuritama, Chihayafuru, Natsume Yuujinchou, and AnoHana are available on Crunchyroll for free.
Vii

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:06 am

Vii wrote:Are you able to stream videos? Tsuritama, Chihayafuru, Natsume Yuujinchou, and AnoHana are available on Crunchyroll for free.

Actually, only the first four episodes of Anohana are free. The rest are for members only.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby spark300c » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:50 pm

Robotic notes is one. it has some sicfi elements. it starts out with slice-of-life feeling since main character wants to build giant robotic.
spark300c

Postby skreyola » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:24 pm

Yeah. I haven't seen the whole thing, but Robotics;Notes seems to have a strong focus on the characters' friendships.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby DaughterOfZion » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:54 pm

Chance Pop Sessions has a lot on friendship. Three girls each SPOILER: Highlight text to read: have a blue stones they've had since they were children and they all love a certain pop idol. Because of their love for this pop idol they sign up for a music school run by their the idol's manager and become members of a special S class. The S class only has four members and they all must make a singing group together. They end up having to learn how to be civil if not friends with each, as well as how to be teammates. The series also puts an emphasis on family as well. The series is available on Hulu and CrunchyRoll.
Last edited by DaughterOfZion on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaughterOfZion

Postby skreyola » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:25 pm

DaughterOfZion: Please mark the SPOILER: Highlight text to read: blue stones as a spoiler. That isn't completely revealed until almost the end of the series. That show's a great suggestion, though.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby DaughterOfZion » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:51 pm

Whoops, fixed. Sorry, it's been so long since I've watched the series that I forgot when they appeared.
DaughterOfZion

Postby skreyola » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:46 pm

:) NP
Anime List
skreyola

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews