Kid Safe Anime or Manga Series?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Kid Safe Anime or Manga Series?

Postby smelly~markers » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:43 pm

I am looking for a good kid safe anime or manga series that I can read or watch online. I have watched and read some of Fruit Basket but my mom didn't like it how it was about the zodiac. Is there a manga that is a comedey about a high school girl and everyday life or something like that?

thank you for your time ^-^

smelly~markers
smelly~markers

Re: Kid Safe Anime or Manga Series?

Postby skreyola » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:31 pm

You can often find more information about a particular anime that looks interesting in the review section.
You might get more responses if you post a reply in the recommendations thread.
You might like Kimi ni Todoke or Cross Game.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Atria35 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:01 am

I'm curious - because A LOT of anime is influenced by other religions (shintoism, buddhism), is she also against representations of those? Or purely fantasy magic? Because that will make it a lot harder to recommend anime and manga. I mean, Zodiac stuff has been proven time and again to be untrue, so that makes it a little worriesome.

Chance Pop Session - not only does this have nothing from other religions/supernatural stuff, the main character is Christian.
Space Brothers - from what I've seen it's really clean and deals with two brothers who are going into space. Better than it sounds.
Glass Mask (2005 version) - an excelent series about a girl who's working to be an actress.
Bunny Drop - The SWEETEST cutest anime about a man who takes in his grandfather's 6 year old daughter. Fantastic anime. Don't ever read the manga.
Chihayafuru - a solid anime about a girl who loves a card game that's Japan-specific. Very intense. Very awesome.
Time of Eve - good movie about robots and society. If you like movies like I, Robot or Bicentennial Man, this is a great one.
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time - sci-fi movie involving time travel.
Dennou Coil - another sci-fi series with nothing supernatural, about kids who use glasses to explore and interact with a special internet world overlay.
Kodocha - about kids who are actors/actresses and doing their thing
Yumeiro Pâtissière - about a girl who's trying to become a baker
Yakitate!! Japan - Another kid-safe baking show - comedy about a boy trying to make the best bread
Penguin Revolution - kids trying to become actors/actresses
Beast Player Erin - It's set in a fantasy world (no magic involved) and is a FABULOUS series about a girl who's trying to stop.... Well... it's complicated, but a fantastic series. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Seconding Kimi ni Todoke and Cross Game. Both are excelent series.

As for MANGA that deal with everyday HS life....

virtually every shoujo ever. I'm not kidding about that. Most shoujo are about everyday HS life. However, there are a number that do have sexual/sexualized content, so sorting those out can be tricky.
High School Debut
Ashita no Ousama
Beauty Pop
Annarasumanara (has a touch of magic that isn't really real magic)
Eien no With
Karakuri Odette
Cat Street
Nineteen, Twenty-One
Koko ni Iru yo!
Otomen
Gentleman's Alliance Cross

And these are a few to start you off with
Atria35

Postby skreyola » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:18 pm

I'll second Glass Mask, since you mentioned it, though I left it out because the treatment of the actresses might be off-putting to the OP's mother.
Also CPS and Bunny Drop, though neither is exactly a high-school slice of life. All three excellent animes, though. :)
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Cleanedbyblood » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:47 pm

One that my niece loved when she was younger was one called A Little (or Tiny) Snow Fairy Named Sugar. Its about an 11 year old girl who lives with her grandmother after her mother, who was a famous pianist and music writer, was killed in an accident (I believe the manga states that her father died before she was born). The girl, named Saga, likes to plan her day down to the last minute. Saga's only dream seems to be to buy back her mother's piano which sits in a music shop not far from her grandmother's house. One day she gets caught in a sudden rain storm and has to take cover under a store awning. While there she sees what she believes at first to be just some doll. The doll turns out to be a season fairy apprentice named Sugar. Sugar is training to become a snow fairy. Sugar as well as some other apprentice fairies (Salt the sun fairy and Pepper the wind fairy are just a couple that come to mind right now) have come to earth looking for something called a "Twinkle" which they must find if they are to become full-fledged season fairies. The thing is none of them really know what a "twinkle" looks like. They know it is either "puffy fluffy", "comfy warm", or "sparkly".
Normally humans cannot see season fairies, but Saga can and agrees, at first reluctantly, to help them out.

I'm not going to tell to much as I don't want to spoil it for you, but its a good short anime series, (I can't remember how many eps its got ). Unlike most other anime, this one doesn't take place in Japan, it takes place in a town called Guttenburg which more than likely is in Germany.
Cleanedbyblood

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:15 am

Yotsuba to! is a really funny, family-friendly manga.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby rocklobster » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:51 pm

What a coincidence, I did a whole article about kid-friendly anime, for older and younger kids. Granted, some of these have magic in them, but these may help: click here
rocklobster

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:22 pm

Cleanedbyblood wrote:One that my niece loved when she was younger was one called A Little (or Tiny) Snow Fairy Named Sugar. Its about an 11 year old girl who lives with her grandmother after her mother, who was a famous pianist and music writer, was killed in an accident (I believe the manga states that her father died before she was born). The girl, named Saga, likes to plan her day down to the last minute. Saga's only dream seems to be to buy back her mother's piano which sits in a music shop not far from her grandmother's house. One day she gets caught in a sudden rain storm and has to take cover under a store awning. While there she sees what she believes at first to be just some doll. The doll turns out to be a season fairy apprentice named Sugar. Sugar is training to become a snow fairy. Sugar as well as some other apprentice fairies (Salt the sun fairy and Pepper the wind fairy are just a couple that come to mind right now) have come to earth looking for something called a "Twinkle" which they must find if they are to become full-fledged season fairies. The thing is none of them really know what a "twinkle" looks like. They know it is either "puffy fluffy", "comfy warm", or "sparkly".
Normally humans cannot see season fairies, but Saga can and agrees, at first reluctantly, to help them out.

I'm not going to tell to much as I don't want to spoil it for you, but its a good short anime series, (I can't remember how many eps its got ). Unlike most other anime, this one doesn't take place in Japan, it takes place in a town called Guttenburg which more than likely is in Germany.

I second this. I ADORED this show ^.^ (can't believe anyone else watched this...)
"People need fear, we experience it so we can grow stronger"-Maka Albarn
Panda4christ:3

Location: There are some things you should just keep to yourself

Postby TWWK » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:01 pm

Atria35 wrote:The Girl Who Leapt Through Time - sci-fi movie involving time travel.

A little bit of foul language in the English dub of this one, if I remember correctly.
TWWK

Postby SierraLea » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:34 am

I'm a Shonen fan, So
Whistle!
Hikaru No Go
SierraLea

Postby LastLfan » Mon May 13, 2013 7:13 pm

Kodocha, i only saw a couple of episodes but from what i remember it was mostly harmless, it had a little innuendo but it was playe for laughs and never in a seductive way, it had a little kissing but nothing too bad. Good romantoc comedy but
Only like the firs half is dubbed.
LastLfan

Postby Crossfire » Mon May 13, 2013 8:31 pm

It's been a while since I've watched it, but I don't remember Nichijou being too bad.
Crossfire

Postby skreyola » Mon May 13, 2013 9:01 pm

Hikaru no Go is a great series, but it deals with ghosts and suicide, so parents might not feel it's appropriate for children who are not exceptionally mature. That said, I enjoyed it enough to watch it two or three times through.
Last edited by skreyola on Tue May 14, 2013 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby MomentOfInertia » Tue May 14, 2013 4:22 pm

Crossfire wrote:It's been a while since I've watched it, but I don't remember Nichijou being too bad.

It's crazy and a bit odd at times but I can't remember anything bad in it. Seconded.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby LastLfan » Tue May 14, 2013 5:20 pm

Also robotech and shaman king are good ones, but shaman king has a lot of spirits and magic and stuff
LastLfan

Postby DragonAlchemist » Thu May 30, 2013 10:19 pm

Crossfire wrote:It's been a while since I've watched it, but I don't remember Nichijou being too bad.

If I remember correctly one character does drop a "GD" bomb in gratitious Engrish. Other then that, I don't remember anything.

My recommendations:

Anime for young kids (note: some of those do have fantasy violence):

Blue Dragon
Samurai Pizza Cats
Bobobo
Sonic X
Chi's Sweet Home
Chi's New Address
Cross Game
Fancy Lala

Anime for older kids (roughly 10+ or so, some mild language and violence):

Dennou Coil
Princess Mononoke
Kekkaishi
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Sgt. Frog
Kodocha
Azumanga Daioh

Manga for young kids:

Chi's Sweet Home
Chi's New Address
Any Pokemon manga
Card Captor Sakura
Tokyo Mew Mew

Manga for older kids:

Kekkaishi
One Piece
Gintama
Azumanga Daioh
Fullmetal Alchemist (a "know your kid" title; there's some quite dark imagery but no sex, nudity, and little foul language)
DragonAlchemist

Postby ForeverInspired » Fri May 31, 2013 9:48 am

Byousoku 5 Centimeter & Hoshi no Koe are completely clean from what I remember. However, they do have a slow moving plot.
ForeverInspired

Postby skreyola » Fri May 31, 2013 7:24 pm

Cross Game is a good title, very clean, and older kids/adults will appreciate its charm, too.
Madoka... is another I'd say is a "know your kid" title. It gets pretty intense in places, if the viewer understands what's going on.
Thanks for all those suggestions, DragonAlchemist. I may add a few of those titles to my plan to watch list.
Anime List
skreyola

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews