Rewrite of the [Spring 2013] anime

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: Rewrite of the [Spring 2013] anime

Postby Vii » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:00 pm

RDG episode 12: Er, alright then. Overall this series felt jumbled. There wasn't enough build up or explanations, and as a result the finale wasn't as convincing as it should have been. It's an okay series, but I'm not sure how easily I'd recommend it, because it really didn't accomplish much, at least in terms of exploring the concepts it brought up. Pretty scenery though.
Debating between 5/10 or 6/10 for my final score.

Maou-sama 10: In terms of the rest of the show, this was mediocre. In terms of anime fanservice episodes, this was good. Yay for a haunted house I would actually go to.

OreGairu 9: Decent fireworks/festival/look-at-my-yukata episode.
Vii

Postby blkmage » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:33 pm

Alcor faffing around has been the only entertaining part of DS2 for me over the last few episodes.
blkmage

Postby skreyola » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:10 pm

Did any of you guys end up watching Henneko? I read a review elsewhere that said "don't let the title put you off of watching this", and the plot summary I've seen in various places sounds like it might be a good show, but I don't know the reviewer, so I thought I'd ask here. Anyone see it? How is it?
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby blkmage » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:49 am

Out of the light novel romcom adaptations, it's the one that I've found the most entertaining and the least frustrating in terms of plot and character and there's some interesting stuff thematically, but yes there's a significant amount of fanservice.
blkmage

Postby MangaRocks! » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:22 pm

RDG episode 12:

Well, I thought that was actually a rather good last episode for the show, although not quite a finale for the story; but yeah, they could certainly have done a lot better with the series overall. (Oh well. :P )
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby skreyola » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:59 pm

blkmage wrote:Out of the light novel romcom adaptations, it's the one that I've found the most entertaining and the least frustrating in terms of plot and character and there's some interesting stuff thematically, but yes there's a significant amount of fanservice.

That's disappointing. Is there any nudity, though?
Is it worth watching, in spite of the fanservice?
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby spark300c » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:17 pm

ep 10 Karneval was not bad but now not sure were they are going with. I expect it to start build up to climax since they plan only 13 episode.
spark300c

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:10 pm

...Maou-sama! episodes 11-12:

Didn't really have much to comment on in particular about ep. 11 (except yikes, that backstory for Suzuno :pikka: ), hence my not posting anything about the show last week; but LOL, ep. 12 here was pretty excellent, with its perfectly-mixed action + lots of comedy again. :jump: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I also love the fact that Maou and Lucifer (though apparently not Ashiya, poor guy, LOL :sweat: ) knew about Suzuno all along, but just went along with her act because they didn't want any trouble. :) (And that's not the first time Maou has actively pretended not to notice something that he was really well aware of, either. It's an interesting little aspect to his character, IMO.) Also in this episode: Ashiya being Ashiya :grin: , and Lucifer being awesome! :lol: :thumb:

I'm a bit sad there's only one more episode now... a second season and a faster translation of the light novels, please? :)
Saved by grace.

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby GeneD » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:19 pm

Maou-sama 12: Great episode. I'm glad SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Ashiya's illness had a legitimate reason because I got tired of that weeks ago.

Now to back-track a bit:

Valvrave 10: Okay I know there were some developments in this episode that were a Big Deal (TM) but all I want to comment on is in the scene with Haruto and the stuck-up blond chick in the elevator, she's got her arms in the weirdest position. She's hooking her elbow under her one breast and her arm comes up between them and I spent a good few minutes laughing and trying to figure out how to do that without injuring something. Result: it's not really possible and you look like you might have mental problems.

Red Data Girl 12: Well the last episodes wasn't really any better or worse than I expected and yet there were still moments that were stupid. For example Izumiko tells Miyuki if she tells him she needs him or something it will all be over and I'm like What? WHY? That doesn't make sense. Anyway, I fully admit that the visuals for this show definitely made me rate it higher than I would have if they weren't as pretty.
GeneD

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:40 pm

...Maou-sama! finale:

Hilarious and excellent. :lol: :thumb:

And while-- as expected-- it's obviously quite open-ended because of where they are in the adaptation, that little scene after the credits was quite sweet :) SPOILER: Highlight text to read: (...yes, I'm finally over wanting to ship Chiho x Maou and am now fine with the inevitable Maou x Emi :) ), and provided a nice close to this (hopefully first ;) ) season.
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby MangaRocks! » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:52 pm

And Karneval episodes 10-13:

Well, I have to say that of these last four ep.'s, I *do* think that they actually managed to do ep. 11 quite well indeed, 12 pretty well, and the finale about as well as possible (considering the point at which they decided to stop). Otherwise, though... well, let's just say that so ends yet another overall-subpar adaptation of an originally-excellent source.

...You know, the reason it bugs me so much when this sort of thing happens with adaptations is because I'm sure it puts quite a lot of people off from experiencing the actual goodness of the source (rather than driving them *toward* it, like it should). If an adaptation is actually done right in the first place, however, everyone-- the adaptation-only, adaptation-first, *and* source-first viewers-- can all enjoy it as they should (I mean, if the source itself is actually good, and aligned with the viewers' tastes, of course :) ). Really, why does this seem to be such a hard concept for some writers/directors to understand? :shady:

*Sigh*... So, anyway, as for this *particular* adaptation: While it did end on a pretty good note, overall this is one of those "please just go read the source instead" ones. :P (Oh well...)
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Previous

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews