Anime - What is Acceptable?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Anime - What is Acceptable?

Postby tronethiel7 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:43 pm

So, is anyone else bothered by the amount of fan-service and other unnecessary content that is found in most anime today?

I am and I often have to reevaluate what is acceptable for myself. I take the renewal of my mind seriously, and am a strong proponent of getting out what you put in. (Also sort of the consideration that if I were to recommend the anime to a non believer, what would i portray about myself to them?)

So the main question in, what is your view on the points I've made and what do you consider as permissible?
" And he who was seated on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.â€
tronethiel7

Postby rocklobster » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:44 pm

Just for the record, just because a story has nudity or graphic violence doesn't always mean it's bad. You have to remind yourself this is not a Christian culture.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby tronethiel7 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:50 pm

rocklobster (post: 1596742) wrote:Just for the record, just because a story has nudity or graphic violence doesn't always mean it's bad. You have to remind yourself this is not a Christian culture.

I'm not blaming the creator, or expecting him to bow to my moral standard. That's definitely not biblical. However, the purpose of many scenes in anime is advocating some form of arousal/fan-service, etc. (though not all, that's a case by case thing). I'm not so much bothered by the violence, though some intensities I may find qualms with. To an extent, it's a thing of conscience, but I know that this stimulus can really warp my mindset (I've experienced such), and I also don't what some of those things to represent me. That's why I'm asking, just wondering about the rest of you.
" And he who was seated on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.â€
tronethiel7

Postby Neane » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:03 pm

Clearly you are having some difficulty finding good shows that don't have any ecchi in them. I can think of a good number of shows that are excellent and don't have arousing scenes.
Neane

Postby tronethiel7 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:14 pm

Neane (post: 1596748) wrote:Clearly you are having some difficulty finding good shows that don't have any ecchi in them. I can think of a good number of shows that are excellent and don't have arousing scenes.

Shoot. I'll gladly accept any recommendations that you might have, and I'm not claiming that there are none, I have a decent number of shows I love that I consider acceptable. But sometimes I can feel hard pressed to find one's that don't have anything questionable. But, indeed that is the world we live in. Thanks for the responses, and I'm interested to see what others have to say.
tronethiel7

Postby SakuraChan73 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:20 pm

So you are basically asking about our view on fanservice? I actually have a low tolerance for it. I remember trying to watch High School of the Dead and actually was quite disgusted with it. I was expecting an anime about zombies not fanservice to the extreme :( Violence isn't a problem with me for some odd reason :lol: So my view is it if there is some its fine if its over the top and doing fanservice for the sake of fanservice it gets annoying.

But I know we all have different opinions and I respect that its just how I feel about it.
SakuraChan73

Postby K. Ayato » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:32 pm

You're gonna get fan service in media one way or another. Just a hard fact. Personally, if it's more show vs substance, I'm not gonna be interested.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby tronethiel7 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:37 pm

SakuraChan73 (post: 1596752) wrote:So you are basically asking about our view on fanservice? I actually have a low tolerance for it. I remember trying to watch High School of the Dead and actually was quite disgusted with it. I was expecting an anime about zombies not fanservice to the extreme :( Violence isn't a problem with me for some odd reason :lol: So my view is it if there is some its fine if its over the top and doing fanservice for the sake of fanservice it gets annoying.

But I know we all have different opinions and I respect that its just how I feel about it.

It wasn't necessarily about fan service specifically, just your views about what is acceptable in general, and how that affects what you watch. I feel you on the High School of the Dead thing, fantastic show, if not for the gross amount of fan-service. Kind of what I'm talking about, the potential it could have had...haha.
tronethiel7

Postby K. Ayato » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:47 pm

I'm not a fan of plots or ideas that are highly romanticized (e.g. little to no conflict, everything's flowers and rainbows). I prefer things that have some basis in reality, especially the unpleasant facets of what can happen in life. For me, it's more easy for me to enjoy if there's something that I can relate to.

As far as fan service, violence, and swearing goes, well, it depends on the story and the culture and reality the show or film wants to create. For example, a plot set in basic training for the military might include bouts of swearing, males and/or females in undergarments (or fully nude in cases), drugs, alcohol, and later on, people getting killed. Is that too much? Maybe, if you're not aware that military training and missions are not that far off from that portrayal.

Then again, I have a degree in psychology, tried to enlist in the military 6 years ago as of late June this year, and I'm married to a sailor in the Navy. Bottom line, one's own personal experience of things can play a part in what is deemed "acceptable".

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby tronethiel7 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:06 pm

K. Ayato (post: 1596759) wrote:I'm not a fan of plots or ideas that are highly romanticized (e.g. little to no conflict, everything's flowers and rainbows). I prefer things that have some basis in reality, especially the unpleasant facets of what can happen in life. For me, it's more easy for me to enjoy if there's something that I can relate to.

As far as fan service, violence, and swearing goes, well, it depends on the story and the culture and reality the show or film wants to create. For example, a plot set in basic training for the military might include bouts of swearing, males and/or females in undergarments (or fully nude in cases), drugs, alcohol, and later on, people getting killed. Is that too much? Maybe, if you're not aware that military training and missions are not that far off from that portrayal.

Then again, I have a degree in psychology, tried to enlist in the military 6 years ago as of late June this year, and I'm married to a sailor in the Navy. Bottom line, one's own personal experience of things can play a part in what is deemed "acceptable".

I get that, but at the same time Paul's words from Philippians 4 come to mind about thinking those things which are "pure, lovely, admirable..."etc.. and also how someone might perceive those things which appear in anime in relation to my beliefs. But hey, I love conversation like this, it builds me up to discuss and learn!
tronethiel7

Postby rocklobster » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:12 pm

I highly recommend Haibane Renmei, tronethiel7. You will enjoy it.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby K. Ayato » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:13 pm

I would also consider his discussion in Romans 14.

K. Ayato

Postby tronethiel7 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:32 pm

rocklobster (post: 1596763) wrote:I highly recommend Haibane Renmei, tronethiel7. You will enjoy it.

K. Ayato (post: 1596764) wrote:I would also consider his discussion in Romans 14.

Thanks, to both of you!
tronethiel7

Postby Zeldafan2 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:28 pm

Honestly, I find fanservice EXTREMLEY annoying when its there in a show. I honestly can take a reasonable amount of violence, but sexual content makes me very leary. In terms of language, Having a somewhat consistent amount of mild profanity isn't something I find offensive, but wanton, extremley profane and harsh language is something that definitley turns me off.

In terms on if it bothers me, it does, but I honestly know why its there sometimes, case in point: Japan is not a Christian culture, so realisticially, in their entertainment medium some inappropriate content is going to be in it.
Zeldafan2

Postby goldenspines » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:49 pm

My own viewpoint on most anime is that God can speak/work through anything. So while everything in the world has the potential to make you sin (media, people, food, etc.), it doesn't make it "evil".

Thus, I watch anime purely based on what I "enjoy" watching. Generally, I personally don't enjoy large amounts of sexual or violent fan-service in my anime, so if there's a series that has large amounts of either, I just won't watch it. There's always another series.
Granted, some anime is just basically romance novel fluff. No good story content, just fan-service fluff, though this is a certain genre of anime. There's also a great deal of anime that have brilliant stories and even great moral lessons while still have some amount of fan-service. The fan-service aspect relates more to Japanese culture than anything, though.
In before "Japan is evil", though. Not evil, they just view issues differently than the rest of the world does.

On a related note, I personally only make one exception to overly violent anime currently, as well as to one that has a lot of sexual fan-service. Thus, I think there may be always those "exceptions" since I consider the story and characters outweigh the "bad content" in a few instances.

(In fact, in the case of one of the shows I find as an exception actually uses fan-service to aid to the story. This is a rarity, though.)
goldenspines

Postby Falx » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:15 pm

For myself, even before I get to my own personal moral views on fanservice, I find it annoying.

Shows that focus on "sexing" up the story in order to attract an audience do so at the cost of things like plot, character development, etc. It's the easy way out and even before I was Christian I found it annoying.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby A_Yellow_Dress » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:47 pm

Warning: I think I sort of derailed a little from the question...

I consider anime to be just like any other media in the sense that there will be things you like, things you don't like, things that often you, etc. The same way I love movies, but don't love every movie; the same way I love to read, but don't love every book.

There are genres out there for every individual, no matter what medium used. Fanservice and ecchi anime aren't for me, the same way I don't enjoy American Pie and won't Fifty Shades of Grey (I won't even get close to it, haha).

Actually, when you think about it, not just anime is plagued by fanservice. Seriously, it's like every single thing you watch has it in some variety... (From a shirtless guy in your favorite action movie, to a awkward oh-no-they-forgot-to-knock moment in your favorite romance). It's not just limited to nudity (sometimes this doesn't even count as fanservice, IMO) and overly sexualized characters either. Little things creators add that are a service to fans of the show are not limited to 'objectable' content.

And that's not to say you won't find stuff without fanservice either. There is a lot more out there than you think. :D

Plus, we are dealing with media from a culture that has different standards for what is acceptable/unacceptable than our own. Not good or bad, but different.

Sorry about this long post... I didn't realize it had gotten so lengthy! (I hope my grammar isn't terrible this time!)
"Contract?"
A_Yellow_Dress

Postby Banana Lobster » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:24 am

I can handle a little bit of sexual stuff, (a few comments here and there at most) but if there's going to be fanservice, I won't go near it for two reasons:

1# Because I don't like that stuff, it makes me really uncomfortable.

2# Because my older siblings check what I watch so I don't run into anything I'm not supposed to see. (Thankfully.)

A total Rise of the Brave Tangled Frozen Dragons fangirl and proud of it
Banana Lobster

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:39 am

This topic feels familiar... >.>

Not all fanservice is nudity/sexual content, and not all nudity/sexual content is fanservice.

Things like nudity, sex, violence, profanity, and dedication to other religions have their place in creating a believable representation of a given situation. (See K-chan's military example.) Just because an anime (or any piece of fiction) has one or more of those elements does not mean it has no artistic merit, or that it's just trying to pander to a particular demographic.

Does this mean you should watch sex or gore, even if it makes you uncomfortable? No. Different people have different levels of tolerance for different things. Just because you can't watch A Clockwork Orange doesn't make watching it sinful, and just because someone else thought it was great doesn't mean there's something wrong with you if you can't sit through it.

As long as it doesn't affect you in a negative way, and you can watch it in your own good conscience, watch whatever you enjoy.

As for me, personally? I can tolerate quite a bit of violence, blood, and profanity. I'm kinda cautious about it, but I can stand nudity or sexual content, depending on how it's used. Other religions don't bother me at all. Overall I'm more likely to be offended by a work's messages than the actions of a few characters.

Honestly what probably bothers me most in fiction (or anywhere) is abuse that gets treated inappropriately--whether sexual, violent, or emotional. That stuff scars, can lead to all kinds of other issues, and requires healing. It shouldn't be thoughtlessly tossed around and overcome simplistically. :l
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Iconodule » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:42 pm

And if your eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into the fire of hell. Matt 18:9

There has been a long tradition within Christianity of avoiding what leads to sin, this is hard and often we fail. So is there anything permissible in anime? I think there is, certain movies like Ponyo, Spirited away and the like which have no fanservice (that I can think of) are fine, but when you get to even series which only use it for jokes even a brief moment can lead to temptation of the body and the soul.

Though perhaps it could be asked is it okay to read the ancient plays of the greeks? Like Aristophanes which are probably as bad as any modern day anime, only left ot the imigination. Ultimately it might just be wiser not to watch anything with fanservice in it, or directly avoid the parts that have fanservice in it to get to things of substance. Within the Christian context anything that leads to sin should be avoided, thats all there is to it. Do not tempt yourself, pluck out your eye for that is better (not literally).

I've never felt comfortable with fanservice, even when I wasn't a Christian, especially in shows like Evangelion that just insert it for no real reason other than titilate viewers.

I'll still watch anime, though nothing that has in it an excessive amount of fanservice. The same could be said for these really excessively violent anime which often have alot of fanservice. Luckily alot of the manga and anime I read only use fanservice sparingly.
Iconodule

Postby Atria35 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:58 pm

Iconodule (post: 1596860) wrote:I've never felt comfortable with fanservice, even when I wasn't a Christian, especially in shows like Evangelion that just insert it for no real reason other than titilate viewers.

I can and will argue hard and fast that the fanservice in Eva definitely had a purpose, but since it's a Do Not Discuss title, I'd be happy to PM you my reasons.

Anycase, fanservice doesn't bother me as much as it used to, because I'm usually not the person it's aimed at, and as a chestier girl than most, I am very aware of how I look in clothes and how guys see me... and I don't think anime is that far off a good amount of the time. I accept that and have come to terms with it. I mean, it would be kind of stupid of me to be more conservative with my media than I with my own body and similarly built ones IRL.
Atria35

Postby randomuser2349 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:37 pm

Someone should make an anime with a lot of fan disservice.
randomuser2349

Postby skreyola » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:53 pm

randomuser2349 (post: 1597057) wrote:Someone should make an anime with a lot of fan disservice.

It's been done. I've stumbled onto a few.
skreyola

Postby tronethiel7 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:14 pm

skreyola (post: 1597146) wrote:It's been done. I've stumbled onto a few.

Such as?
tronethiel7

Postby Neane » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:16 pm

You don't want to know.
Neane

Postby skreyola » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:32 pm

Neane (post: 1597152) wrote:You don't want to know.

This.
skreyola

Postby tronethiel7 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:57 pm

skreyola (post: 1597170) wrote:This.

Ah. I will graciously accept that one.
tronethiel7

Re: Anime - What is Acceptable?

Postby Vilo159 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:03 pm

I agree with most in that these things can depend on what you personally can handle; it is very much up to personal preference.

Me personally, I don't come near nudity no matter what the circumstance. It very well may be part of the culture or the context or some symbolism, but nudity is nudity no matter what light is in, and I personally prefer not to expose myself to that. Fanservice in a sexual light just to draw in people in, I really really dislike, and I'm with tronethiel in that it's very hard for me to find a series without it. But unfortunately that's just how things are, not much I can do about it.

In other things . like language and violence, I have the same philosophy, but I have a different level of tolerance for it. Again, it is very much up to personal preference. I try to find series without much language or excessive blood, but it isn't as likely to make me drop a show as fanservice.
Vilo159

Postby Atria35 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:54 pm

Vilo159 wrote:Me personally, I don't come near nudity no matter what the circumstance.

If you ever have children, you might have a hard time with this since when they're little, you kinda have to bathe them.

.... Seriously, there are anime where there are small children in the bathtub, and that's the extent of the nudity (a la My Neighbor Totoro). You're really bothered with that kind of nudity?
Atria35

Postby Rusty Claymore » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:17 pm

You're really bothered with that kind of nudity?

YES. O_O

とにかく, the more I watch, the more I begin to realize that I judge what is acceptable more on how the content is handled as opposed to it's base existance in the show. Easy examples of this are when unseemly elements are glorified or made "Immortal Objects" which the virtueous characters can't touch or don't have a comeback for.

For example, I'm watching a show that contains elements I usually find disdainful, but how they are handled(or just not even bothered with/ignored) makes the show not only watchable for me, but one of the more humorous shows of the season. Though I still wouldn't want to be walked in on watching it. Way too much explaining... (Gets "Humanity is Declining," 'Suicide bread meets my big sister' flashbacks...)

...and it's kind of juvenille. I blame office work.
Rusty Claymore

Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews