Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi

Postby DarkNozomi » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:25 am

(Spoiler alert; I can't figure out how to hide it)

I've looked at old threads up to about 4 months back and can't find anything about her... I'm shocked; this is a huge title in japan and everyone here seems to love it (Anime North has had dance contests for several years now recreating the Hare Hare Yukai)

A lot of people seem to be angry about "Endless Eight", but eight episodes is not quite four hours, and if that was enough to drive people insane, imagine how Nagato Yuki felt year after year after year... it shows why she eventually malfunctioned in the movie...

I worry that backlash from that is the reason season 3 is taking forever and a day. Fortunately, there's still the light novels (which are never quite long enough)...

I doubt it would be that way, but if God turned out to be a hyperactive sixteen year old girl, life would suddenly become much, much more interesting.
DarkNozomi

Postby Falx » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:57 am

You'd have to look back way WAY further than four months to find anything about it since the second season came out in 2009. And the first was 2007 I believe. People dislike endless eight for various reasons, but the crux of the matter is it was a poor choice business-wise. Turning off or frustrating viewers (the source of their profits) is the last thing any production company should want, but they thought that they could get away with it for reasons which I can only speculate on.

And unfortunately, the author of the light novels himself might be the reason there wont be a season three. He threw a massive hissy fit for reasons I can't quite remember and deliberately withheld the publication of some of the follow-up volumes. It seems his popularity is slowly waning because of that.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby blkmage » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:41 am

Considering everyone hated the second season and it still managed to sell better than most titles, I wouldn't worry about financial concerns being the reason a third season doesn't get made. After all, the movie came out not too long after and that sold amazingly well.

So why isn't a third season getting made? Yeah, the author of the light novels is one. Another big reason seems to be that KyoAni is now more interested in other projects. And the last big reason is likely to do with the current status of Hirano Aya.
blkmage

Postby A_Yellow_Dress » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:44 pm

For all the reasons stated above, I think a third season is (unfortunately) unlikely. If we were to get anything, I would assume it would be another movie (please?!). Even then, for all the same reasons we have not had a third season, I don't think we can expect any more Haruhi. :(
"Contract?"
A_Yellow_Dress

Re: Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi

Postby creed4 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:40 pm

I recently was able to catch the series on crunchyroll. It was good, I agree about the endless eight arc. I haven't watched the movie yet, but I do own it. It's sad that there might not be more anime, I've read about future arcs and the story gets better. Hopefully something will happen and will see more.
creed4

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:51 am

I recently watched the first season on Crunchy Roll as well, and I rather enjoyed it. I'm a bit wary to start the 2nd season as many seem to dislike it, but I think it would be worth it just to look. :)
bigsleepj

Postby creed4 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:40 pm

The second series is good, just beaware that the crazy eights arc is eight episodes of the same material. It's gets a little tiresome, but the rest is really good
creed4

Postby GeneD » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:44 am

Watch the first and the last Endless Eight episode, and maybe skim through one or two or all of the others if you want. Or watch them while doing something else.
GeneD

Postby DarkNozomi » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:45 pm

People who are hating on Endless Eight clearly have zero understanding of the whole thing.
DarkNozomi

Postby creed4 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:56 pm

I didn't hate the endless eight arc, I just think it's a little hard to watch. I heard they were releaseing the latest two novels as one set, I wonder if that means we'll see more animation soon.
creed4

Postby Zeldafan2 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:27 pm

creed4 wrote:I didn't hate the endless eight arc, I just think it's a little hard to watch. I heard they were releaseing the latest two novels as one set, I wonder if that means we'll see more animation soon.

Probably not, but we can always hope. Of course, Kyoto Animation would have to be on board for something like that though, and they've been pretty busy as of late, so honestly, I don't know.
Zeldafan2

Postby KazeShiki » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:12 pm

If you mean pretty busy counting their money, then yeah. KyoAni has discovered the cheapest and easiest way to milk the largest amount of sales so unless that fountain of cash ever runs dry, don't count on any more Haruhi (let alone FMP).
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Postby blkmage » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:22 pm

Pretty much everything wrong having to do with the releases of Haruhi and FMP are Kadokawa's fault.
blkmage

Postby Falx » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:34 am

I understood exactly what was going with Endless Eight, and even why they were doing it the way they were.

Doesn't change the fact that it bored not only me, but the vast majority of viewers to tears and was a massive let-down to what had been shaping up to be a second season that was just as good as the first. Not to mention the time wasted by something that could have been done in two episodes meant that a whole arc wasn't animated, and if I recall it was going to be a pretty good one if it did.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Falx

Postby blkmage » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:48 am

I'd even say that KyoAni put in an impressive amount of effort into those episodes when it could've been very easy to phone it in. Just look up one of those 8-in-1 side-by-side compilations. That doesn't change the fact that it's not as interesting or as effective as they wanted it to be.
blkmage

Postby creed4 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:11 pm

I had read some where that they chose to go with the endless eight arc after they decided to make the Dissappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi into a moive, leaving them with eight open episodes.
creed4

Postby DarkNozomi » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:04 am

Falx wrote:I understood exactly what was going with Endless Eight, and even why they were doing it the way they were.

Doesn't change the fact that it bored not only me, but the vast majority of viewers to tears and was a massive let-down to what had been shaping up to be a second season that was just as good as the first. Not to mention the time wasted by something that could have been done in two episodes meant that a whole arc wasn't animated, and if I recall it was going to be a pretty good one if it did.

blkmage wrote:I'd even say that KyoAni put in an impressive amount of effort into those episodes when it could've been very easy to phone it in. Just look up one of those 8-in-1 side-by-side compilations. That doesn't change the fact that it's not as interesting or as effective as they wanted it to be.

creed4 wrote:I had read some where that they chose to go with the endless eight arc after they decided to make the Dissappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi into a moive, leaving them with eight open episodes.

NoNoNoNo all these are good guesses but wrong!

The reason they did endless eight is because time was in a loop due to Haruhi never wanting summer to end. BUT, while most of the Brigade was unaware of the loop, Nagato Yuki remembered every single iteration, because she experienced them all sequentially.

People complain about having to sit and watch a 24 minute show, eight times in a row. Grow a backbone! Nagato experienced everything 15,532 times. That's where the error data came from. That's why she became aberrant. When I first watched the movie, it made no sense to me how Nagato could do something like that. But after watching Endless Eight all in one sitting (actually twice; we watched the entire second season twice in one weekend) I totally understood. It made the whole thing real, instead of just accepting it as a detached fact.

For people who will inevitably reply "yeah, well that may be but I still think it was dumb", have any of you listened to a song on your ipod more than 8 times? Funny, that didn't kill you and you didn't boycott the musician, did you?

Sorry if this comes across as harsh, but too many people are just bandwagon fans who don't bother to understand the real meaning behind an amazing work. Whatever, they'll always have their 500th season of Naruto to cheer on.
DarkNozomi

Postby blkmage » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:27 am

I'm pretty sure that was something everyone figured out on the second or third week of airing?

Also, that's not what the errors were. Kyon explains in Disappearance explicitly that the "errors" were emotions, which Nagato had clearly been developing throughout the course of the entire show. All of her interactions with Kyon were leading up to it, not just Endless Eight, which, if it were the case, would, quite frankly, devalue what happened in Disappearance.
blkmage

Postby TWWK » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:27 am

DarkNozomi wrote:People complain about having to sit and watch a 24 minute show, eight times in a row. Grow a backbone! Nagato experienced everything 15,532 times.

But, er, Nagato is a fictional character. We're real people who have a better use of time than to watch almost-the-same episodes over and over. Well, most of us have better things to do. :P

Though honestly, if I didn't enjoy it, I didn't mind Endless Eight, and I certainly appreciated the idea behind it.
TWWK

Postby DarkNozomi » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:30 am

blkmage wrote:I'm pretty sure that was something everyone figured out on the second or third week of airing?

Also, that's not what the errors were. Kyon explains in Disappearance explicitly that the "errors" were emotions, which Nagato had clearly been developing throughout the course of the entire show. All of her interactions with Kyon were leading up to it, not just Endless Eight, which, if it were the case, would, quite frankly, devalue what happened in Disappearance.

That's Kyon's opinion, but the light novels go into a bit more depth and it's clear that the time loop played a part, along with possibly some early interference from... nah, don't wanna spoil it for anyone lol
DarkNozomi

Postby blkmage » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:33 am

It's his opinion but it corroborates with everything that we've seen and how Nagato acts, fits in thematically, and can be concluded by all the information we have at the time. Endless Eight is a short sidestory that's published after Disappearance and isn't referred to in any significant way so it can't be clear it played a part. And that's why Endless Eight, regardless of creative intent, is so egregious: because it's a relatively minor thing to spend a ton of capital on, especially when the original published story was never intended to be that kind of set-piece.
blkmage

Postby Falx » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:51 pm

DarkNozomi wrote:
The reason they did endless eight is because time was in a loop due to Haruhi never wanting summer to end. BUT, while most of the Brigade was unaware of the loop, Nagato Yuki remembered every single iteration, because she experienced them all sequentially.

People complain about having to sit and watch a 24 minute show, eight times in a row. Grow a backbone! Nagato experienced everything 15,532 times. That's where the error data came from. That's why she became aberrant. When I first watched the movie, it made no sense to me how Nagato could do something like that. But after watching Endless Eight all in one sitting (actually twice; we watched the entire second season twice in one weekend) I totally understood. It made the whole thing real, instead of just accepting it as a detached fact.

For people who will inevitably reply "yeah, well that may be but I still think it was dumb", have any of you listened to a song on your ipod more than 8 times? Funny, that didn't kill you and you didn't boycott the musician, did you?

Sorry if this comes across as harsh, but too many people are just bandwagon fans who don't bother to understand the real meaning behind an amazing work. Whatever, they'll always have their 500th season of Naruto to cheer on.

You are being immensely condescending over something that pretty much everyone gets. You're not the only one who got what they were doing. You're the only being incredibly defensive over it, though. It's perfectly okay to like something while still admitting it's faults, instead of trying to invent flimsy metaphors and comparisons that don't actually have anything to do with the experience the audience had watching it. But you know what I'm getting out of this before it becomes stupid. I'll leave only saying this: it might behoove you to stop assuming people can't understand a show on the same level as you do when they disagree with you.

Falx

Postby creed4 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:33 pm

are there any stories that take place durning the anime series, that haven't been animated yet?
creed4

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews