I want to wath Nanoha but...

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

I want to wath Nanoha but...

Postby FallenLegend » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:02 pm

Hello everyone I am new to the site.

There is something that has been bothering lately. I really want to watch and anime called "lyrical nanoha"

I am a big fan of magical gir shows. But I have heard that the main characters Nanoha and Fate are a lesbian couple and vene have a daughter together.

Now I will presume some of you are of the kind of christians that believe that it isn't wrong to be gay... and I respect that.But I am not one of those. For one thing I know is all just fictional, but I just don't know if it is the right thing to do even If I consider homosexuality a sin to watch this show.

I know I will end admiring and loving the main characters but this confuses me a lot to be honest (the idea of liking someone doing something you don't agree).

This is a serious question I have and in no way intended to cause trouble.

Thank you for your time.
FallenLegend

Postby Falx » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:27 pm

Well let's answer this without touching on the right or wrong of it. This isn't a debate forum after all.

To answer your question:

The first two seasons of the show, do not contain anything resembling romance of any kind, regardless of how hard you squint to see it. So those are safe. I assume you're aware of the usual trappings of Magical Girl shows that could cause a problem, namely the occasional panty-shot and (usually) semi-nude transformation sequences? Because Nanoha has some of that as well, but not all that much.

As for the third season...

Well it certainly has some kind of subtext. If you only watch the three seasons, not any of the supplementary manga/artbooks and such, that's where it will stay too.

Subtext.

They DO live together as well as sleep in the same bed, and Nanoha does adopt a little girl who calls Fate "Mama" as well. But that's pretty much it, you wouldn't think that they're anything other than friends from the rest of the show.

That's pretty much it for the content you asked about, but at the end of the day, if you need to really look for reasons to watch a show that you feel might cause you problems for whatever personal reason, it's better to miss a series and not feel guilty or condemned than to watch it and feel like you messed up.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby Maokun » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:08 am

(the idea of liking someone doing something you don't agree)

I just want to address this briefly without wanting to create a big argument, but I think that as you grow up and keep living you'll find a ton of people that you'll like that secretly or not are doing things that you personally disagree with. This should present no dilemma whatsoever: we are called to avoid sin, not people. You may disagree with their personal view of their world but that doesn't mean they are no human beings with good feelings and thoughts in addition to those you dislike.

Case in point, this anime: we are talking of a (fictional) person who's courageous and strong and kind and who (apparently) does something that you disagree with. Does the latter invalidates the former? Are you yourself without flaw that you wouldn't hurt from being dismissed for your imperfections rather in spite the good there is in you?

Anyhow, in the end, if you have misgivings about it, you shouldn't be asking us -other flawed humans that barely know you :P- but rather, decide if there's enough peace in your heart to go ahead with it. :)

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby FallenLegend » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:38 pm

Thank you both for your wise replies. I think I will give it a chance :)
FallenLegend

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews