casshern sins/Basilisk/Linebarrels of Iron

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

casshern sins/Basilisk/Linebarrels of Iron

Postby sim96 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:06 pm

long time no post,I saw these 3 on netflix and wanted hear about them
*When life gives you lemons you clone those lemons and make super lemons*
sim96

Postby Neane » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:13 pm

I like Gonzo but Linebarrels of Iron is really, really, really bad...like really.

Basilisk is a Romeo and Juliet type thing with a Ninja setting and has a good number of horrible deaths in it.

Casshern Sins is an anime with a darkish setting with robots and is pretty okay content-wise and your enjoyment of it will be based upon your personal tastes.
Neane

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:16 am

Basilisk is pretty straightforward. The premise, ninjas kill one another, is also a pretty good plot summary. There's some clever abilities and some people liked the characters (there's a pretty perfunctory romance) but don't go in expecting something else.
uc pseudonym

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:29 am

Neane (post: 1591785) wrote:Casshern Sins is an anime with a darkish setting with robots and is pretty okay content-wise and your enjoyment of it will be based upon your personal tastes.

Eehhhh depends on standards. I'm about 3/4 through, and while I don't find it shocking I think there's enough content to deserve a little more information. The topic of sex/procreation has come up occasionally (in a non-graphic way), and one female character is briefly groped. Thus far any language is mild, and violence/blood is more artistic than shocking or brutal.

Sidenote: Don't go into Casshern Sins expecting an action romp. It's more thematic and focused on character growth than beating up bad guys. I really, really like it, but it's definitely not for everyone.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Neane » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:52 pm

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1591827) wrote:
Sidenote: Don't go into Casshern Sins expecting an action romp. It's more thematic and focused on character growth than beating up bad guys. I really, really like it, but it's definitely not for everyone.

Yeah, Sins is one of those dividing anime. I could recommend to someone Casshern SINS, and one person would hate it because they're starting at the same colors for 24 episodes where there's not a lot of talking and people staring at each other all the time. Or someone else would call it a desolate masterpiece of atmosphere and conflict.
I've found that people who like their anime in the same vein as Boogiepop Phantom and Angel's Egg, for example, tend to like it more than most people.
Neane

Postby goldenspines » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:03 pm

Cassern Sins is one of the most depressing and optimistic anime you will ever run across. I echo Fu and Neane in saying it's not for everyone, but it is brilliant. But it's a presentation of a cold, bitter dystopia and really the "human" weaknesses that come with it. Yet there are the small heart warming moments that can still shine through as well.

And, er, yeah. I don't know much about those other two. D: Go watch like, Ouran or something fun. XD;
goldenspines

Postby TWWK » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:45 pm

I barely remember it now, but I actually liked Linebarrels of Iron...though its admittedly bad. Overdramatic with an annoying lead, but I enjoyed some of the twists and action, as well as a few of the characters.
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby Vracer111 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:58 am

Have not seen Linebarrels of Iron, but Have Basilisk and Casshern Sins. I will say that Casshern Sins is way better than Basilisk and Linebarrels of Iron though - Casshern Sins is an emotional, character building show that is trying to answer what it really means to be alive and mortal rather than a 'dead immortal' being. It feels most akin to Ergo Proxy - having as a slower paced, dark atmosphere but with a lot of heart and soul searching. It's not as complex as Ergo Proxy, but is a much more emotional and sad series - especially towards the end.

It's a pretty sad series that you would want to follow immediately with a comedy or fun adventure series. The first time I tried watching Casshern Sins the first episode was where I stopped. Just couldn't get into it - it's a series that you have to be ready to see, not one that can just be watched at the spur of a moment. The second viewing was when I was prepared for a darker, sad, and thoughtful series to watch and it has become one of my favorites.

Highly recommend Casshern Sins if you are in the mood for an emotional ride and some thoughtfulness in a series and don't mind the ever present semi/graphic violence and a some sexual content (nothing shown) along the way. It's better than Ergo Proxy for emotional content, but Ergo Proxy is the more polished and complete series with much more complexity of the characters shown.

There's a section of the show told in a song a little before halfway through the series that is a perfect expression about what Casshern Sins is about, through both the songs lyrics and the visuals.

No major spoilers either:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX6r7YXWLic&hd=1
Vracer111

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews