Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun: Socially Awkward Penguin the Animation

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:16 am

Tsundere Yamaken wins for most adorable thing of the season, I think.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby GeneD » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:05 am

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1600050) wrote:Tsundere
Ooooh that's what that was, of course...

I... I know nothing about anime, do I? Absolutely nothing.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby MangaRocks! » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:10 pm

Episode 10:

LOL! :lol: This was (yes, I'm going to say it yet again ;)) absolutely perfect!! Had a grin on my face the entire time. :grin:

I love this. :hug:
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Re: Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun: Socially Awkward Penguin the Animation

Postby Yuki-Anne » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:14 am

I love this anime! My fiance first showed it to me. I really like it, and I like how Shizuku isn't a complete idiot about her own feelings. Too often in anime the girls are like, "Huh? What is this crazy pounding of my heart" for 20 episodes before they FINALLY REALIZE they're in love. I like Shizuku. She's no stupid-head.
Yuki-Anne

Postby blkmage » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:21 pm

It's been a while, but I don't remember all of these flashbacks? Someone who has a better memory please verify.
blkmage

Postby MangaRocks! » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:44 pm

blkmage wrote:It's been a while, but I don't remember all of these flashbacks? Someone who has a better memory please verify.

Hmm... well, I didn't actually remember all of them, either :sweat: ; but they did seem familiar (...maybe that's just because they were perfectly in-character?). :eyebrow: (Weird-- now that's kinda making me want to go skim through the manga again to double-check... :sweat: )

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I was glad to see the Yamaken-used-to-bully-Haru explanation in there, though, since I had originally thought that they were just skipping it (when it turns out that they were moving part of it here instead :thumb: ).

But anyway, flashback-recall aside :sweat: , I enjoyed this episode as always. :)
Saved by grace.

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby MangaRocks! » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:11 pm

Episode 12: Fantastic as always. :thumb:

Season finale next week, though, and I'm still kinda wondering where exactly they're going to end it, LOL. :sweat: There's just so much stuff ahead... (Have I mentioned how much this totally needs to have another season? ;) ) Looking forward to it regardless, though! :)
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby minakichan » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:54 am

MangaRocks! wrote: (Have I mentioned how much this totally needs to have another season? ;) )

Week 1 Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun sales were only about 1.2k/1.2k DVD/Blu-ray, and didn't even rank the next two weeks, so unfortunately I think we have to say "dream on," because apparently girls who aren't fujoshi don't buy anime~ <3

As a fan, I'm glad we have so much shoujo this season but I sort of feel like maybe having 3 not-particularly-fujoshi-ish shoujo shows might be bad because they'll cannibalize each other-- if the girls are watching all of them, the already sparse non-fujoshi female yencoin is getting stretched thinner.

However, Sukitte ii na yo and Kamisama Hajimemashita DVDs aren't on sale yet so who knows, I guess? I kind of expect Sukinayo to do worse and KamiHaji to do slightly better, but at least the latter is very easy to merchandise. I've barely seen ANY Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun merch on AmiAmi or HLJ, so I guess we just have to hope the anime's made manga sales skyrocket or something =///
minakichan

Postby blkmage » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:57 am

Yeah, my guess is that these three are banking on a boost in manga sales, kinda like Chihayafuru, because the discs that show pushed was at about the same level.
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:43 pm

I forget, am I the only Oshima/Haru and Yamaken/Shizuku heretic around here? Also, how did I not realize how great Natsume is before the anime came out?

Unfortunately, though, it looks like the best character isn't going to show up before the anime finishes, so it looks like we'll have to bank on big manga sales to hope for animated Yamaken's sister.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby blkmage » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:35 am

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs wrote:I forget, am I the only Oshima/Haru and Yamaken/Shizuku heretic around here? Also, how did I not realize how great Natsume is before the anime came out?

yes Image
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:24 am

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby goldenspines » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:39 am

I don't care about ships, much, but if I did, I think Natsume/Sasayan should be something. Or Sasayan should get someone because he is so adorable.

In all seriousness, I'm curious to see how things will end up overall. Picnic next episode, maybe? =D
goldenspines

Postby blkmage » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:58 am

yes sasanatsu

Natsume has always been pretty great but the combination of her seiyuu and her wobbly mouth animation knocks it out of the park in the anime.
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:51 pm

Wait am I the only one who thinks Sasayan reciprocating Natsume's feelings would be really creepy? She's like fifteen, and he has a brother that is old enough to have a son out of high school and generally does not look like he's fresh out of high school.

EDIT: I am stupid and bad with names, never mind.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby goldenspines » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:07 pm

But it's okay, we still like you, Hat. <3

I agree, Natsume with the older guy would be creepy. D:

And I looked up the seiyuu for Natsume, this is like one of her first roles! She's doing really well, I'm impressed.
goldenspines

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:01 pm

Finale: ...LOL, what? :grin: And yes, that was pretty much as inconclusive of an ending as expected, given the point in the story the adaptation got to. :P (But hey, that's what the manga's for, right? ;) )

Anyway, though, this series was a brilliant adaptation, and I really enjoyed it. :jump:
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby A_Yellow_Dress » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:55 pm

I think my only solid ship for this series was Natsume/Sasayan. XD Everyone else I have no idea, hahaha.

I reallllly loved the last couple episodes and wish it didn't have to end. :( I am clinging to the hope that the sales will skyrocket or something and there will be a second season. (Dumb, I know... But I can dream right? :P)

I might just have to look into the manga. :D
A_Yellow_Dress

Postby Falx » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:06 pm

Finally got around to finishing this:

Favorite part of the series was honestly the BROmance between Haru and Natsume. I think this might be the first time I see an anime where a lead male in a romance series is just plain buds with a female character. Super bonus points for her not secretly pining for him even a little bit.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Previous

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews