Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun: Socially Awkward Penguin the Animation

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun: Socially Awkward Penguin the Animation

Postby blkmage » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:53 pm

[SIZE="1"]「なーんか」/「どつむ」[/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"]My Little Monster[/SIZE]
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
(lit. The Monster Seated Next to Me)

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun is based on a shoujo manga by Robico. It is being produced by Brains Base and stars [s]Tomatoes[/s]Tomatsu Haruka and Suzuki Tatsuhisa.

It is about a girl who is obsessed with studying and regards friends as distractions from her ultimate goal. By chance, she meets a guy who is actually completely socially inept and comes off as incredibly violent and weird as a result. It turns out he's just impulsive and is trying to be helpful and all. And what follows is a story about the two.

Actually, the girl, Shizuku, reminds me a lot of Haruhi from Ouran, and her interactions with Haru, the guy, sort of mirror the common sense vs weird worldview dynamics. The difference is that Haru's miscues don't stem from him being insanely rich and out of touch, he just doesn't understand how to fit in.

It's on Crunchyroll listed under My Little Monster and a new one comes out every Monday.
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:37 pm

Oh good, I was afraid I might have to make this thread but its all good.

Anyways, it is great, super pretty animation for the first episode. Its funny because even though I have read a large part of the manga I hadn't realized how similar Shizuku and Haruhi are. Maybe its because in the manga she looks just like Maka from Soul Eater, I dunno.

Only problem I foresee is Haru's "rape" line making this unshowable at my club, but we'll see. I will probably mention it at the club meeting tomorrow so I can explain the context before anything happens.

Man, Brains Base, that was pretty.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby MangaRocks! » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:22 pm

*Sigh*... while I'm loving the TnK manga, I've been burned enough times by adaptations that I've become pretty darn selective in which ones I watch. But this is so tempting.

......Ah well, what the heck. *adds to queue* :P
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Falx » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:04 am

This was much better than I expected. Watching it for sure.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby Vii » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:10 am

Definitely watching. Have to wait a week before I can watch it free on CR, though.
Vii

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:11 am

Okay, so I watched the first episode, and it's looking great so far! :thumb: (And LOL, the way that they drew out that one particular moment at the end was perfect! :grin:) I hope the adaptation quality stays this good throughout the series. :)
Saved by grace.

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Falx » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:25 pm

This just became a serious contender for anime of the season.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Falx

Postby blkmage » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:12 pm

Tonari no rooster-kun
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:35 pm

I dunno how Haru can get such high test scores if he isn't smart enough to be terrified of chickens, which are pretty much the freakiest animal ever.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby MangaRocks! » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:10 pm

^ LOL. :grin:

Anyway, yes, this episode was excellent. :jump: Also, was it just me or was Haru's dialogue even funnier than I remember? :grin: (Just one example: "Yeah, not a problem. That's never happening." :lol:)

Oh man, everything about this series so far has been spot-on from the manga-- no notable cuts, no invented filler, not one single thing to complain about! :jump::jump:-- plus great seiyuu choices, nice animation and direction, and perfectly quirky music (which I'm really enjoying :grin:). It's just the second episode, but this has already been a fantastic adaptation so far (and in fact is well on its way to becoming one of my top favorite page-to-screen anime adaptations).

Can't wait for next week!
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby blkmage » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:55 pm

yeah, tomatoes is p much the greatest
blkmage

Postby MrKrillz0r » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:00 pm

Oh I had no idea they had animated this one. That's great though, I really love the manga!
Game on!
MrKrillz0r

Postby goldenspines » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:09 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1592275) wrote:I dunno how Haru can get such high test scores if he isn't smart enough to be terrified of chickens, which are pretty much the freakiest animal ever.
Trufax.
Roosters will end you.

Yay, second episode was great and stuff. Glad there are more characters being introduced (like "I'm only popular online" girl).
goldenspines

Postby blkmage » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:43 pm

The moment in which those punks become hilarious side characters.

Also forgot how great and different the Haru and Shizuku relationship was at the beginning.
blkmage

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:58 pm

blkmage (post: 1593262) wrote:Also forgot how great and different the Haru and Shizuku relationship was at the beginning.

Is that an ominous "was", or am I just jumpy?
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:29 am

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1593266) wrote:Is that an ominous "was", or am I just jumpy?
[spoiler]Well, I've currently read through chapter 33 (in volume 9) of the manga, and (thankfully) it's not ominous at all. :) Pretty sure he just meant different from the usual. :)[/spoiler] And @blkmage: Yes, the punks are indeed hilarious. :grin:

As for the rest of the episode: I'm thinking this had a slightly lower budget than the first two :grin:, but I didn't even care because its story adaptation is still perfection and this is my weekly dose of happy and it's awesome. :hug::thumb:
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby MangaRocks! » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:34 pm

Episode 4:

Oh man, I thought it was hilarious how they added in that little detail of [spoiler]the legendary bloodstain on the wall from the first fight still being there, LOL! :grin:[/spoiler] I was also a bit amused at how quickly they sped through the little fishing trip near the end of the ep. :), but they hit the points that were really necessary, so I have no complaints there. And, of course, the rest of the episode was pure perfection, as always.

In other words, this episode was as awesome as usual, and I loved it! :thumb:
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby blkmage » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:57 pm

Everyone's voice is pretty much perfect in this, except for Haru, at least in my head. In particular, Natsume's great (I hear that she's new), Nakamura Yuuichi's Yuzan is perfect, and Tomatoes' Shizuku is wonderful. Haru, though, I've always heard in my head as Rin from AoEx. It's probably the character design.
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:13 pm

blkmage (post: 1594333) wrote:Nakamura Yuuichi's Yuzan is perfect
This weirded me out so much because I thought it was Hiroshi Kamiya until I looked it up and all the people I associate with him (Houtarou, Alto, and Abe from Oofuri) are so much different than Yuzan it was the weirdest thing.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Falx » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:13 am

Tanezaki Atsumi is showing great range, and although it wasn't enough to really tell, that little chicken song she sang at the end of one episode was kinda nice.

The best line so far was:

Kenji: Hey, you're actually attracted to this? You're in love with this?
Shizuka: *looks ashamed*

Falx

Postby MangaRocks! » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:10 pm

Episode 5:

...Have I mentioned how perfect this is? ;) :grin: :hug:
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby MangaRocks! » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:33 pm

Episode 6:

Man, I'm running out of things to say now because it's just so perfect! :grin: In fact, this particular section of the story is actually the part of the manga that I enjoyed the least so far (simply because I <3 the characters so much, and thus I want them to be happy :hug:), but I adored this episode nevertheless!

Also, is this really only supposed to be 13 ep.'s? Because, if so, this totally needs to have more than one season. :)
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby A_Yellow_Dress » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:34 pm

Shizuku's expression = priceless. :lol:
"Contract?"
A_Yellow_Dress

Postby MangaRocks! » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:37 pm

Episode 7:

Ah yes, here's where Yamaken's group begins to make some more appearances again. :grin:
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby A_Yellow_Dress » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:44 pm

Every time I think I have Haru's and Shizuku's (feelings, motives, and the list goes on) sorted out, they do something to make me have to analyze them all over again. I quite liked the piano in the background for the one Oshima and Haru scene. I hadn't noticed it until this episode, but surely it's been there before?
"Contract?"
A_Yellow_Dress

Postby GeneD » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:31 am

Ep 6:

The Shizuku and Haru emotional flip-flopping is starting to get on my nerves. I'm also not a fan of the glasses/dark hair girl, I don't find her funny or enduring.

Not a terrible episode, but not the best IMO.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby MangaRocks! » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:02 pm

Episode 8:

ROTFL, oh man-- they somehow made the funny stuff in this section even funnier than it was in the manga! :lol::lol: [spoiler]Though I did notice that they left out the actual *explanation* of Yamaken's "traumatic experience" with Yuuzan, LOL :grin: -- which I think I would have preferred they left in, since it's both funny and also gives a small bit of background on Yamaken, Yuuzan, and Haru's history-- but, otherwise, perfect as always. :thumb:[/spoiler]
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby blkmage » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:20 pm

This seems to be a very strict adaptation, which makes me wonder where they're going to end off at episode 13.
blkmage

Postby MangaRocks! » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:33 pm

^ Ha, it's funny you mention that, as that was also what I was just about to post! :)

As for episode 9 itself, well, once again I'm left with nothing other than praise for how perfect it is. :jump::hug:

But yeah, as stated above, I'm also quite curious as to how they're going to end this-- there are only 4 more episodes left, but there's so much more story! I really hope they make a second season (and do just as fantastic of an adaptation with it as they have with this season). :)
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby GeneD » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:43 pm

Ep 8: [spoiler]Well I am very glad Shizuku apologized to her friend because she was really being a cow, and I'm glad she directly asked Haru to give her time instead of just being "flip-floppy" and stupid.[/spoiler]
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews