Why is Full Metal Alchimest not on the anime banned list here?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Why is Full Metal Alchimest not on the anime banned list here?

Postby Imperial » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:11 pm

As its all about Hieratic's And Athiests and is anti-religion as Edward Elric said he "gave up"/ quit beliving in god in the first season and the seires is all chimera-tecnologie and science and most of the alchemists there are athiests :fmed:
Imperial

Postby Crossfire » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:36 pm

Edit'd to better reflect my response.
Crossfire

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:52 pm

Well, if you want to get technical about it...
These titles are NOT what we consider to be anti-Christian. The purpose of this list is to keep the peace, not tell you which shows you should or shouldn't watch. These titles were selected because they have caused trouble in the past or are extremely likely to given the content.

The staff has decided it would be extremely beneficial for us to post which titles we'd prefer not be discussed. These titles are either highly controversial, extremely inappropriate, or both. We have noticed all discussions in the past on these titles has only erupted into tension, rude posts, etc., for the sake of keeping the peace, these are the titles we ask you discuss privately amongst yourselves via PM or off-site...

FMA hasn't (since I joined) caused trouble. It's neither highly controversial nor extremely inappropriate.

And honestly, if we banned/frowned on discussion of any/every anime that wasn't explicitly religious and/or Christian, there really wouldn't be much left to talk about, and not much point to the site.

[SIZE="1"]Also, I'm sorry, but science is bad? Are you serious? xD;[/SIZE]
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Imperial » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:03 pm

Crossfire (post: 1589904) wrote:Watch out guys, we're dealing with a troll over here.

Careful Crossfire since you could be caught in one........and I just asked so I does not make me a troll so you yourself be careful
Imperial

Postby Imperial » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:04 pm

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1589907) wrote:Well, if you want to get technical about it...

FMA hasn't (since I joined) caused trouble. It's neither highly controversial nor extremely inappropriate.

And honestly, if we banned/frowned on discussion of any/every anime that wasn't explicitly religious and/or Christian, there really wouldn't be much left to talk about, and not much point to the site.

[SIZE="1"]Also, I'm sorry, but science is bad? Are you serious? xD]

Thanks for the help:n_n: unlike crossfire
Imperial

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:29 pm

Fll Mtl Novelest did explain the reasoning correctly.

Calling out crossfire in multiple posts isn't helpful to anyone, so please stop. We have had comments like yours that were people deliberately trying to start fights, not asking for reasonable explanations.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Imperial » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:33 pm

sorry 2015 hope I did not step on your toes
Imperial

Postby goldenspines » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:51 pm

Ah, so you didn't see beyond the first episode? It's a common response for the first two episodes to create a more extreme response from viewers.
Ed does indeed say he gave up on religion and claims alchemists are the "closest thing there is to god."

But skip a few episodes ahead and Ed and his brother Al learn a painful lesson through a series of events and the SAME character, Ed, who was so cocky only episodes previously says the following:
"I know we're not gods. We're humans. WE'RE ONLY HUMAN! Who can't even do anything to save one innocent little girl... so what good are we then?"

Note: I am quoting the remake of the anime Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. But the quote appears in the first anime (though worded slightly differently) as well as the manga.

It's as they say, you can't fully judge a book by its cover. In the same way, you often can't always judge an anime by it's first episode. (see: Fate/Zero)
goldenspines

Postby AnimeGirl » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:03 pm

^ I agree wholeheartedly with goldenspines.

I picked up the manga and watched the anime since it was recommended me. I admit that at first, hearing what Ed said made me feel a bit off edge, but I continued reading.....I FELL IN LOVE with FMA, as well as the anime and its remake.

I actually feel that the way Ed is portrayed was done well. I feel it is evident that the mangaka was not trying to put down Christianity at all. This is Ed. This is who he is. Yet, despite claiming to be agnostic, he says a very interesting thing when revealing his automail arm to Rose; "This is what happens when you trespass God's Domain" in other words, NEVER try to play God, like what they did when they tried bringing back their dead mother. What happened to Ed and Al are a result of this sin, alchemy's ultimate taboo.

It's better to look at Ed as a character who has suffered so much, that is probably one of the many reasons he believes the way he does. And if you look closely, it's actually quite easy to think about God in this series than it is not to, despite how some of the alchemists are. There are actually some spiritual themes in the show that give it its richness. Of course, FMA is not for everyone. It is up to the Christian viewer to know what will make them stumble or not. But, FMA in no way qualifies to be on the list because 1) there are far WORSE series out there, and 2) there's many positive things about FMA if you look at it from the perspective of the human condition. We're only human, we're imperfect, a lot of pain in our lives often shape our beliefs, and throughout the story there's a lot of wonderful character developement.

Anyway, my 2 cents.
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Xeno » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:10 pm

Crossfire (post: 1589904) wrote:Image

Edit'd to better reflect my response.

Cross, stop. You are firmly inserting your foot into your mouth for no reason. Imperial asked a valid question and outlined the reasoning behind that question.

I've never seen FMA, but if he had asked why Gundam wasn't on the DND list because it involves people evolving into psychics I would have explained exactly as Fu did.
Xeno

Postby Banana Lobster » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:18 pm

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1589907) wrote:Well, if you want to get technical about it...

[SIZE="1"]Also, I'm sorry, but science is bad? Are you serious? xD]
goldenspines (post: 1589961) wrote:Ah, so you didn't see beyond the first episode? It's a common response for the first two episodes to create a more extreme response from viewers.
Ed does indeed say he gave up on religion and claims alchemists are the "closest thing there is to god."

But skip a few episodes ahead and Ed and his brother Al learn a painful lesson through a series of events and the SAME character, Ed, who was so cocky only episodes previously says the following:
"I know we're not gods. We're humans. WE'RE ONLY HUMAN! Who can't even do anything to save one innocent little girl... so what good are we then?"

Note: I am quoting the remake of the anime Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. But the quote appears in the first anime (though worded slightly differently) as well as the manga.

It's as they say, you can't fully judge a book by its cover. In the same way, you often can't always judge an anime by it's first episode. (see: Fate/Zero)

Spot on posts guys, spot on. :thumb:
Banana Lobster

Postby Lynna » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:08 pm

Ummm, Imperial, did you realized that the angry face in your post is from FMA? I'm sorry, it made me think you were a troll for a few seconds. Sorry

And yeah, the others have explained it pretty well.

This is a bit of a spoiler, but FMA: B actually tends to lead to a more Pantheistic view, but even then it's not really pushed or anything. I know that the first few episodes of FMA really hurt, but then the rest of the series gives a completely different perspective on it.
For me, FMA actually had a lot of themes in it that I could really connect with in regard to Christianity, such as Selflessness and sacrifice, perseverance and mercy. I respect that for some Christians this series isn't right for them, but it is one of my favorites, and a lot of people here enjoy it.
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Atria35 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:03 pm

What Fu said, and I think that Animegirl's story also illustrates why this anime isn't on the banned list.

If you actually pay attention to the dialogue, in the first few episodes, it's clear that Ed isn't "just an aetheist" - he's someone who's lost his faith but still acknowledges a higher power. A "backslider", if you will. While the exact details are obviously different, the story of his loss of mother and how such a terrible thing happened to his brother are common among those who've lost faith. He wars with his faith, but has reason for being angry, upset, and questioning. It's something most Christians have dealt with at some point.

And for the science part? It's not evil by virtue of it being science. The real-world equivalent of those chimera experiments? You might know it as that Labradoodle. Since FMA is fantasy and trying to get a message across, it's a little more extreme, but at the heart the same thing.
Atria35

Postby airichan623 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:46 pm

Imperial (post: 1589897) wrote:As its all about Hieratic's And Athiests and is anti-religion as Edward Elric said he "gave up"/ quit beliving in god in the first season and the seires is all chimera-tecnologie and science and most of the alchemists there are athiests :fmed:

goldenspines (post: 1589961) wrote:Ah, so you didn't see beyond the first episode? It's a common response for the first two episodes to create a more extreme response from viewers.
(see: Fate/Zero)

What goldy said. Imperial, I did feel the same way about FMA until someone convinced me to keep reading. Though I wouldn't blame crossfire- I wasn't sure if this was real or not either. :) It happens.

No, actually at one point Ed actually sends up a prayer in a sort of "I don't know if your out there" sort of way. Vic Mignogna, Ed's English VA, is a Christian, and once said that he considers Ed's beliefs at the beginning of the series are just part of the stages of grief- which starting with anger (often with God).

In reality, FMA is no better nor worse than any other fantasy series.

That being said, Imperial, as a friend, I would advise you to be careful. Some people do not respond well to their favorite series being criticized. I am not offended, but just as an fyi.

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby maeiounj » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:20 am

Darn, some one already said that Vic was a Christian, but Ill just add to that proof. He has musical talent and he plays for his church sometimes.

I really do understand though why you might thing that, because its hard to see an anime that has alot of elements of fantasy. It does bother me a bit in the first episodes that it seems to be really against religion in general. I mean the guy in charge really manipulated the people and when the people were really divided, it caused a mini battle between the people. Even with ED saying that he was an atheist, it kind of bother me. And the fact that they use alchemy is not exactly science, its a mixture of science and magic if you look at it in the real world.

But you have to watch the rest of the anime first. 2 out of 64 episode, is not the story of FMA. Its like if you were a scientist and your trying to figure out if alot of people watch anime. Grabbing only two people and asking them if they like anime, is not a good sample. So 2 episodes of 64 is not a good sample to be called a bad anime for Christians to watch.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Deviant art:
http://narutokunobessed.deviantart.com/
Sheezyart:
http://maeiounj39.sheezyart.com/

Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/DistantDeadWorlds
Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/home/myvideos
Distant Dead Worlds FB: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Distant-Dead-Worlds/129909077082115

Distant Dead Worlds Tumblr (the collaborative/video side and instagram photos): http://distantdeadworlds.tumblr.com/
Majonin (artistic thoughs and arguements, perhaps a bit of sillyness):
http://maeiounj.tumblr.com/

Cosplay.com:
http://www.cosplay.com/member/54613/

AMVs:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/memb...user_id=777048
maeiounj

Postby Xeno » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:28 am

Uhhh, how is a voice actor's faith in any way indicative of the religious content (or lack thereof) of an anime or anything else?

Additional note: Vic is an English VA, meaning he was not the voice actor selected by the original production company of the anime to voice that character. Further proving his faith means nothing in relation to the religious content of FMA.
Xeno

Postby Maokun » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:59 am

I just want to add that fictional characters in fictional stories that may have a belief in a fictional deity (or not, as it's the case) have the right to do so as an extension of their personality and expression of their individuality. That doesn't automatically make the work "anti-christian" or worthless.

Next time you see a fictional character remarking his lack of belief in a deity (note that that fictional world wasn't the Earth nor that universe ours, not their "God" have any relation to ours) give some time to the story to challenge that character; it may turn (as Goldy explained) that such statement was only the result of naive hubris and as the character faces reality and grows up, he may change his mind.

Also, I believe that Crossfire deserves less flak; I'm pretty sure I'd have reacted similarly if I had been the first person to reply to the thread. A post by a newcomer, ridden with poor grammar and spelling, making contentious statements (such as implying that science is evil and atheist by default) and challenging the rules of a forum that he hasn't even read sounds like a troll here and everywhere. I'm saying this not so much as a criticism, but rather as an advice: if you want your posts to be taken seriously in an online forum (especially if you are new to it) take a little time to understand rules and guidelines, take some time to make your posts intelligible and polite and wait until you have known better the people and the kind of discussions they have before making angry complaining or demanding threads.

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:05 am

[quote="Maokun (post: 1590071)"]Also, I believe that Crossfire deserves less flak]
There's not much to add to the thread at this point, but I wanted to quote this for truth/emphasis. I may have responded to the opening post somewhat nicely, but honestly? I half-believed you were purposely stirring up trouble, for the exact reasons stated here. I suggest you follow Maokun's advice to help minimize any future confusion.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby blkmage » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:20 am

Guys, there are reasons why you're not supposed to respond at all, for any reason to those you believe are trolls. Wrongly accusing someone is one of those reasons. Another is drawing attention to it.

If you believe someone is a troll, do not respond at all and report it using the report button.

And the same goes for all the other instances of rule-breaking: necro-posting, double posting, creating threads in the wrong place etc. Constantly calling people out doesn't solve anything. Just report it and let mods deal with it in an official capacity.
blkmage

Postby airichan623 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:33 pm

Xeno (post: 1590036) wrote:Uhhh, how is a voice actor's faith in any way indicative of the religious content (or lack thereof) of an anime or anything else?

Additional note: Vic is an English VA, meaning he was not the voice actor selected by the original production company of the anime to voice that character. Further proving his faith means nothing in relation to the religious content of FMA.

I was mostly using him as a Christian who explained that part FMA well.

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby Nate » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:49 pm

Xeno wrote:Uhhh, how is a voice actor's faith in any way indicative of the religious content (or lack thereof) of an anime or anything else?

I'm guessing the thought process is they think that if it had any anti-Christian content in it then he as a Christian wouldn't do any voice work in it. Which is faulty logic because it fails to take into account that doing voice work is his job, and your boss doesn't like it when you say "I'm not going to do my job!"

What's funny is that Vic has done voice work in many works that would have content offensive to many Christians such as Dance in the Vampire Bund, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Crayon Shin-chan, and of course the Persona games.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews