I'm introducing my friend to anime...

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby KnightOfFive » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:34 am

May i Re-recommend Fruits Basket? The series is nothing short of adorable (not to mention pretty darn funny). You really don't need immersion into the tropes of shoujo manga to appreciate it honestly. The cultural context is a bit unfamiliar at times but that's hardly a barrier since the character's natures pretty much speak fir themselves.

As for Ouran i think that would be an EXCELLENT first choice, heck after naruto it was what got me really into anime.

Code Geass also certainly has it's potential being a simply epic series. And as one of my all time favorites as well as yours I would certainly say that if not your friend's first it certainly should be introduced to her, given her taastes as you desscribed them I think she would appreciate it
Most warriors would find it beneath them to attack a girl. Especially when she wasn't looking. No person with any honor or pride would ever do such a thing. I bid you farewell and good riddance. You're not even worth lamenting.-Uryu Ishida
KnightOfFive

Postby airichan623 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:16 pm

Well I gave her Fruits Basket and Summer Wars to watch. Furuba was really my first non-kids anime (first was Tokyo Mew Mew) and I loved it. (still do).

As for the others, we will see how these two go.

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby Cianter » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:18 pm

Atria35 (post: 1589586) wrote:But was it your first anime?

I have to admit, my tastes are such that I would have never ever went near anime again if I'd watched it. I don't like the FB anime at all. :sweat: So I think it's a personal taste thing, and if it seems in-line with her friends' likes, then it would be fine.

I think it was like the second or third. I think Blue Dragon and Gundam SEED came first, not sure though, lol :P And you don't like it :wow!: Wowza, that's a first, lol :P
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][color="DarkOrchid"]Yes, I'm a girl. I push doors that clearly say PULL. I laugh harder when I try to explain why I'm laughing. I walk into a room and forget why I went in there. I count on my fingers in math class. I try to accomplish things when there is still time on the microwave. I lie sometimes to hide the pain. I say it's a long story when it's really not.[/color]

[color="Yellow"]When you're home alone: 10%-Say "who is it" 64%-Look through the peep hole then open it if you know them 25%-Open the door 1%-Crawl around on the ground like a ninja and look through the window very quietly to make sure it isn't a masked murderer. I'm that 1%[/color]

[color="Red"]I'm so talented I can fall up stairs, trip on flat surfaces, and get hit by parked cars XD[/color]

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Cianter
Cianter

Postby Maokun » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:17 pm

I can help to notice that most people that pushed for Fruits Basket here saw it when they were 15 or something? Well, hopefully your friend is young at heart and won't have a reason to believe that anime is tween stuff if that's the best representative you could give her.

I mean, I loved Pokemon back when I was 14 but I'm sure as heck not going to try to use it as a gateway anime to my young adult friends. :P

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby airichan623 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:06 am

Cianter (post: 1589681) wrote:I think Gundam SEED came first:P

Another seed fan? I love you.
Maokun (post: 1589699) wrote:I can help to notice that most people that pushed for Fruits Basket here saw it when they were 15 or something? Well, hopefully your friend is young at heart and won't have a reason to believe that anime is tween stuff if that's the best representative you could give her.

I mean, I loved Pokemon back when I was 14 but I'm sure as heck not going to try to use it as a gateway anime to my young adult friends. :P

Actually I started when I was 13, but I never really understood everything about it or fell in love with it until I was 16 or so. But seriously, her pushing it away as a tween show is probably not gonna happen, seeing as she watches and enjoys ATLA, which is marketed as a show for 10-12 year olds.

airichan623

Postby Yami » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:36 pm

I would replace Full Metal Alchemist with Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood.

I would also add Angel Beats to the list. ^__^

Madoka Magica and Durarara would also be good options along with GURREN LAGANN and Guilty Crown.
Yami

Postby alma » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:30 pm

rocklobster (post: 1589035) wrote:Every anime fan needs to watch Haibane Renmei. The whole series is on Hulu NOW!
I willl watch it then. Tx
"Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent."John 17:3 (NASB)
"By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”John 13:35
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/alma01
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime online
alma

Postby Imperial » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:36 pm

Try anything dubbed first and try them with genshiken and gungrave
Imperial

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:41 pm

I don't think Genshikan is a good introductory show for people that don't know anime well. The show is based almost entirely on humor centered around a knowledge of Japanese anime fan culture and the steriotypes related to it, which would be over the head of most new fans (and quite a few older ones as well).

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Neane » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:37 pm

Yami (post: 1589903) wrote:I would replace Full Metal Alchemist with Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood.

I would also add Angel Beats to the list. ^__^

Madoka Magica and Durarara would also be good options along with GURREN LAGANN and Guilty Crown.

I am not 100% certain if Gurren Lagann is a good introductory show for people that are not anime-fans.

Also, I don't think Guilty Crown is a good show to show to anyone who is new to anime.

I would also say that Madoka is not a good choice due to the fact that it is what I like to call "An anime-fan's anime".
Neane

Postby eightluvver888 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:01 pm

Clannad, maybe? Though it doesn't get really good until the second season...
[SIZE="3"][/SIZE][font="Garamond"]Oh no, he's already fallen off one building today!
[SIZE="1"]MAL[/SIZE][/font]
eightluvver888

Postby Atria35 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:57 pm

airichan623 (post: 1589866) wrote:Actually I started when I was 13, but I never really understood everything about it or fell in love with it until I was 16 or so. But seriously, her pushing it away as a tween show is probably not gonna happen, seeing as she watches and enjoys ATLA, which is marketed as a show for 10-12 year olds.

However, ATLA has fully realized characters and deals with some very adult themes (war, genocide, racism, sexism) from the first episode. Fruits Basket fails to have a compelling lead with Tohru (utter Mary-Sue with no personality until the last episode), and the family issues are barely mentioned or gone into until the last three. Up until then, it really is super-fluff with nothing to it. It's not anywhere in the same class as ATLA.
Atria35

Postby airichan623 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:50 pm

Atria35 (post: 1589995) wrote:However, ATLA has fully realized characters and deals with some very adult themes (war, genocide, racism, sexism) from the first episode. Fruits Basket fails to have a compelling lead with Tohru (utter Mary-Sue with no personality until the last episode), and the family issues are barely mentioned or gone into until the last three. Up until then, it really is super-fluff with nothing to it. It's not anywhere in the same class as ATLA.

Touche, my dear. I'll just see what she thinks and then continue from there.

airichan623

Postby maeiounj » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:17 am

If she wants artsy like stuff, introduce her to Ghibli films, and some from notamation, and maybe Mushishi. Ghibli has the dubs aviliable, and mushishi is on netflix. For the notimation network like Honey and clover, Kunchuu Burranko, kino's journey, time of eve, etc. And yea anything by the same director for summer wars, would be a good one. In fact the director is making a new one about wolf pups.

Seems she also likes action, so get her into shonen stuff. The classic that are here shown in america, maybe Digimon, sailor moon, etc?

And if all else fails, then just show her stuff you like. Its then easier to have the same interests if she likes the same shows as you do.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Deviant art:
http://narutokunobessed.deviantart.com/
Sheezyart:
http://maeiounj39.sheezyart.com/

Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/DistantDeadWorlds
Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/home/myvideos
Distant Dead Worlds FB: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Distant-Dead-Worlds/129909077082115

Distant Dead Worlds Tumblr (the collaborative/video side and instagram photos): http://distantdeadworlds.tumblr.com/
Majonin (artistic thoughs and arguements, perhaps a bit of sillyness):
http://maeiounj.tumblr.com/

Cosplay.com:
http://www.cosplay.com/member/54613/

AMVs:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/memb...user_id=777048
maeiounj

Postby airichan623 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:34 pm

maeiounj (post: 1590033) wrote:If she wants artsy like stuff, introduce her to Ghibli films

I said in the first post that Studio Ghibli's are no brainers.

airichan623

Postby Smileloviene » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:38 pm

Tommy (post: 1589370) wrote:Monster.

Ok, I can't let this one pass without comment.
To a person new to anime: DO NOT show them that one. It's one of my very very favorite, but it has way too many dark themes, sexual content, etc. to be good for someone not used to anime. I find people first getting into anime stuggle taking a "cartoon" seriously, and that is a very serious anime, so not good for someone new to anime. Just my two cents, but I think that would turn a first timer away from anime pretty fast.

Wave (post: 1589374) wrote:I'm going to recommended Scrapped Princess.
Scrapped Princess is 26 episodes long. It's relatively clean and it's not to wired.

Eh... :drool: sure, pretty clean... but that was actually one of the first ones i watched and it was NOT what got me into anime, haha. It threw me off pretty bad. It's just a little... odd. But that might just be my opinion :sweat:

Hm... I hope your friend likes Fruits Basket. If she doesn't I would just say it might be because that dub is a little weak. Maybe that was just me, but i saw a little and thought it was. (Then again, i'm a HUGE fan of the manga so naturally dislike the anime in general... so my opinion may be too biased)

If she likes funny but heartwarming sort of stuff, I second Angel Beats :jump: It might be too bizarre for a first timer though, and i don't know how good the dub is, sigh... Regardless, I hope you have some success in your endeavor :thumb:
[font="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][color="DarkOrchid"]The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places. ~ Habakkuk 3:19[/color][/SIZE][/font][PHP][/PHP]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Yellow"]@)[/color][color="Lime"]}~`,~[/color][color="Cyan"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Carry This Rose In Your Signature, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/font][/color]
Smileloviene

Postby KnightOfFive » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:40 pm

airichan623 (post: 1590085) wrote:I said in the first post that Studio Ghibli's are no brainers.

I've gotta find out where I can watch those or buy the DVD's.
Most warriors would find it beneath them to attack a girl. Especially when she wasn't looking. No person with any honor or pride would ever do such a thing. I bid you farewell and good riddance. You're not even worth lamenting.-Uryu Ishida
KnightOfFive

Postby airichan623 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:31 pm

Smileloviene (post: 1590687) wrote:Hm... I hope your friend likes Fruits Basket. If she doesn't I would just say it might be because that dub is a little weak. Maybe that was just me, but i saw a little and thought it was. (Then again, i'm a HUGE fan of the manga so naturally dislike the anime in general... so my opinion may be too biased)

If she likes funny but heartwarming sort of stuff, I second Angel Beats :jump: It might be too bizarre for a first timer though, and i don't know how good the dub is, sigh... Regardless, I hope you have some success in your endeavor :thumb:

Well she's liking Furuba thus far, but I would say the dub is superior to the sub because of Yuki's voice. -_- On Angel Beats!, I recently watched that on Netflix, and it was...ok, as well the dub. Both were not my favorite.

KnightOfFive (post: 1590688) wrote:I've gotta find out where I can watch those or buy the DVD's.

Some of them are available all the time at Target, and check you local library or video rental store.

airichan623

Postby Neane » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:05 pm

Smileloviene (post: 1590687) wrote: I find people first getting into anime stuggle taking a "cartoon" seriously, and that is a very serious anime, so not good for someone new to anime.

So you are saying that instead of showing a woman who is around the age of 20 a show that could air on a Channel like FX, that woman should be shown a show like K-on!?
Neane

Postby airichan623 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:25 pm

Neane (post: 1590695) wrote:So you are saying that instead of showing a woman who is around the age of 20 a show that could air on a Channel like FX, that woman should be shown a show like K-on!?

Um...I don't think that's what they meant. Besides, K-ON! from what I hear is a more otaku pandering in nature.

airichan623

Postby Atria35 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:38 pm

KnightOfFive (post: 1590688) wrote:I've gotta find out where I can watch those or buy the DVD's.

You can order them online (Amazon and Rightstuf.com are good places to start, and since they're licensed by Disney you can buy them on their website). Over the last few years they've been showing them in theaters all over the country as they come out - point in case Howl's Moving Castle, Ponyo, and Borrowers Arriety, which all were shown at my small, local theater.
Atria35

Postby Maokun » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:28 pm

Neane point stands, though. I think that for a person in her twenties that's is giving a chance to a medium much maligned and stereotyped, nothing could be better than an example that an anime title can be deep, enthralling and adult. I would only not recommend Monster for its length.

Speaking of which, now I want to recommend 5cms/s mostly because it initially offers a bit of the expected fare and then turns it on its head. Besides it is just gorgeous.

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby airichan623 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:54 pm

I just bought Paprika and Baccano. I think those are up next for watching.

airichan623

Previous

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews