Gintama! (Be sure not to spell it with a "k"!)

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Gintama! (Be sure not to spell it with a "k"!)

Postby Crossfire » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:50 pm

This forum needs a Gintama thread. So, here it is.

I've just started a re-watch, and I feel like I'm falling in love with this series all over again.
Crossfire

Postby Cianter » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:17 pm

So...What is it? :P It sounds familiar, but I dunno...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][color="DarkOrchid"]Yes, I'm a girl. I push doors that clearly say PULL. I laugh harder when I try to explain why I'm laughing. I walk into a room and forget why I went in there. I count on my fingers in math class. I try to accomplish things when there is still time on the microwave. I lie sometimes to hide the pain. I say it's a long story when it's really not.[/color]

[color="Yellow"]When you're home alone: 10%-Say "who is it" 64%-Look through the peep hole then open it if you know them 25%-Open the door 1%-Crawl around on the ground like a ninja and look through the window very quietly to make sure it isn't a masked murderer. I'm that 1%[/color]

[color="Red"]I'm so talented I can fall up stairs, trip on flat surfaces, and get hit by parked cars XD[/color]

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Cianter
Cianter

Postby goldenspines » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:46 pm

Truthfully, I need to see more of the anime, but I used to follow the manga devotedly back when it was first released. It's one of the few series sitting up front on my bookshelf for easy access. 8)

Gintama is such a fun series with snappy comedy and amusing characters. It seriously never gets old no matter how many times I read/watch it.

It's so hard to pick a favorite character, but I think the top spot is a tie with Toshiro and Sadaharu. :]
goldenspines

Postby Atria35 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:00 pm

Cianter (post: 1586928) wrote:So...What is it? :P It sounds familiar, but I dunno...

One of the most popular anime out there. It an anachronistic samurai show.
Synopsis here
Atria35

Postby Crossfire » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:37 pm

Nadia (post: 1586898) wrote:Where are you at in your rewatch?
Favourite arcs?
Favourite characters?

It's been a while, so I've forgotten a lot of names.

I'm about to start episode 15. My favourite "serious" arc is the Shinsengumi civil war, and my "WTF?" arc is the one with "Dark Vader". As for characters, it's a toss up between Gintoki himself and Sogo.
Crossfire

Postby Popyman » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:25 pm

I was SUPER into the manga when it first came to America. I read it in Shonen Jump and was completely hooked, buying the first five or so volumes as they were released...then I stopped for some reason. :/ Now I want to see what all I've been missing! :D

I've never seen the anime, is it as good as the manga? Is it basically the same story or are there major differences between the two?
Popyman

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:42 pm

If I were to hazard a guess, if it's like other SJ series, the anime is pretty much the same, only with 33% extra content in the form of fillers, and feeling the need to stretch 15 pages into 22 minutes.

I was thinking of making this the next manga I followed, but I have to learn some self control, and only read one issue a day rather than trying to catch up on the whole series at once like I did with Naruto and Elfen Lied (the former was annoying and the latter was soul sucking and depressing, though the latter would have been that even if I'd read one issue a day... I recommend avoding EL)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews