eating on roofs at school

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

eating on roofs at school

Postby rocklobster » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:04 am

I've noticed in lots of anime set at schools, like Azumanga Daioh or Kekkaishi, there's often scenes where the characters will eat on the roof. Is there any reason this happens in Japan? Is it the dense population?
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:24 am

Thy're usually on the roofs to be alone in those anime. From what I understand from my friend who's been over a few times, it's far more common in anime than in real life, where there's almost no access to the roof.
Atria35

Postby ABlipinTime » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:33 am

Yeah, I've noticed that too, Rock.
It's a perfect setting for the wind to blow through her hair and the sunlight to reflect off their polished brown book bags.

Incidentally, in anime, they don't present anyone as getting in trouble for being on the roof - I guess story writers don't plan on that.
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby A_Yellow_Dress » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:19 pm

You can climb onto our roof at school. You wouldn't be the smartest to do so, but you could. Our roof is dangerous. (Old school, stairs go almost all the way to the top, you just gotta jump).

You're right, it seems really really commonplace in anime, for whatever reason. (It gives us a cool perspective of Japan! :P)
A_Yellow_Dress

Postby Juliannesan » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:29 pm

Yeah, it's even common in older anime as well. Like Boys over Flowers. I always wondered that as well. Why it's such a common secret place in lots of "slice of life" anime especially.
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby Kaori » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:36 am

Most Japanese schools do not have a cafeteria; students bring their own lunches and eat in the classroom (source). It would be pretty natural for students who want to be alone to seek out some other place to eat their lunch during that time.

I haven't been in very many Japanese school buildings and can't verify whether they typically have a roof access, but the church that I used to attend in Tokyo did indeed have a roof access that was just like what one typically sees in anime and manga, and I went up there on several occasions for exactly the same reason that those anime and manga characters do: to be alone. So it does not seem at all far-fetched to me that students in Japanese schools would do the same thing.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Kino » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:50 pm

The rooftop scene adds to the character.
If you see a lot of anime involving this scene. They eat their lunch there, sleep there evading class and also smoke.
In Japan, it's prohibited to enter the rooftop. It adds to the anime character by showing a bit of authority (having access to the keys to the rooftop), shows that their rebellious (hiding from any teachers who might find them and going to the rooftop to sleep) like-wise for the smoking and delinquents that go to the roof top. The rooftop is also for the characters/group of characters that don't fit in, or don't necessarily like the presence of others. Then theirs also the possibility that directors are being lazy and don't want to add the "passers-by" characters, and create an isolated place where they can talk.

But to answer your question, this rarely happens in Japan. They do more of the joining tables and eating in the classroom.
Kino

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:51 am

rocklobster (post: 1519633) wrote:I've noticed in lots of anime set at schools, like Azumanga Daioh or Kekkaishi, there's often scenes where the characters will eat on the roof. Is there any reason this happens in Japan? Is it the dense population?

[color=RoyalBlue]Funny thing is, I'm just watching an episode of "Azumanga Daioh" ("One Spring Night") that has a rooftop lunch scene. It does look like it would be nice]
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews