Best Anime of 2010 2: 2011

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:26 pm

Neane (post: 1520980) wrote:video game based anime
Neane (post: 1521113) wrote:Based 100% on a video game
These two are not equivalent, so, yeah, P4 could very well be the best by-the-numbers game to anime port ever. Though, I'm unsure of how many shows actually qualify for such a category (or if P4 will even qualify for it by the end of its run, b/c it could theoretically veer from the script at some point).
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby MasterDias » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:35 pm

<SOS団>

I like Persona 4 and the anime is one of the better video-game adaptations I've seen. That said, it is still fairly safe/by-the-numbers and obviously based on a video game. So its success probably has more to do with the strength of the original material than most of what the studio has done with it.
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya is the clear winner here (even if I have some issues with comparing a movie to a TV series but whatever...) It's a really good movie.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:38 pm

Neane (post: 1520980) wrote:It is the best video game based anime ever made.

Clannad, and Fate/Stay night fans might have a bit to say about that.
So might the .Hack fans. And Utawarerumono.
Probably not the Umineko no Naku Koro Ni fans and the Final Fantasy fans. Those were pretty bad (my avatar notwithstanding)
I'll point out the Halo Legends short anime set here too. Those were gorgeous.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Atria35 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:01 pm

Abstaining, but as for whether people should have seen at least one anime in order to vote... I think that should be up to the concience of the voter. I know my tastes well enough so that for some matchups I know exactly which one I would vote for, no matter what, because I've read so much about the show or heard so much about it. The ones I don't, I don't vote in.

But it's also impossible to guarantee someone's seen an anime or not- I know I'm often lax in updating my MAL list, and others don't even have one, and most of us don't know eachother in person- so it would be entirely ineffective to have such a rule.
Atria35

Postby blkmage » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:21 pm

Atria35 (post: 1521175) wrote:Abstaining, but as for whether people should have seen at least one anime in order to vote... I think that should be up to the concience of the voter. I know my tastes well enough so that for some matchups I know exactly which one I would vote for, no matter what, because I've read so much about the show or heard so much about it. The ones I don't, I don't vote in.

But it's also impossible to guarantee someone's seen an anime or not- I know I'm often lax in updating my MAL list, and others don't even have one, and most of us don't know eachother in person- so it would be entirely ineffective to have such a rule.

This was pretty much my train of thought when I was first considering it. However, Hats reminded me of a very good point, which is that everyone has enough information about the matchups and brackets that, if they so wished, they could vote in order to advance the interests of their favoured show later on. I mean, I've been voting against Redline every chance I get because I think it's a threat to all of my other choices.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:40 pm

blkmage (post: 1521201) wrote:I mean, I've been voting against Redline every chance I get because I think it's a threat to all of my other choices.
Dirty, sir. Dirty.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:56 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1521206) wrote:Dirty, sir. Dirty.

On the one hand, I'm surprised no one has seemingly taken later matches into consideration. On the other hand, everyone voted for Natsume Yuujinchou only when it didn't matter anymore, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
blkmage

Postby blkmage » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:05 pm

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya: 11
Persona 4: 0

[font="Times New Roman"]PUNCTUATION PALS[/font]
[SIZE="5"]Fate/zero [font="Times New Roman"]vs.[/font] Steins;Gate[/SIZE]
<Fate/zero> ★ <Steins;Gate>

ImageImage

[SIZE="4"]Fate/zero[/SIZE]
I wanted to be a superhero
Aired: Fall 2011
Studio: ufotable
Director: Aoki Ei
Cast: Kawasui Ayako, Koyama Rikiya
Adaptation: Light novel by Urobuchi Gen
Defeated: Guilty Crown, Mobile Suit Gundam AGE
Voting Code: <Fate/zero>

[SIZE="4"]Steins;Gate[/SIZE]
http://www.johntitor.com
Aired: Spring 2011
Studio: White Fox
Director: Hamasaki Hiroshi, Satou Takuya
Cast: Miyano Mamoru, Imai Asami
Adaptation: Visual novel by 5pb/Nitro+
Defeated: Working'!!, Mirai Nikki, UN-GO
Voting Code: <Steins;Gate>

Voting closes at 2300 EST.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:07 pm

blkmage (post: 1521208) wrote:I'm surprised no one has seemingly taken later matches into consideration.
On this score, I think the issue is that many people aren't sure about the match-ups next round. Will there be another draw? Is it determined by rank or by group? Can we pressure you into making a bracket?

Also, this match is the toughest for me yet. I'll have to go and have a good think.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:13 pm

Oh, I guess I wasn't clear enough then. The brackets have been set up by what you see, so go back to the list of matches and pair them off in order so for instance, so far, it'll be Madoka vs Unicorn and Chihayafuru vs Redline.
blkmage

Postby Neane » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:14 pm

blkmage (post: 1521211) wrote:[align=center]Image

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya: 11
Persona 4: 0

I voted for Persona 4 and put the voting code down.
Also, Steins]
(Also, has a main male character is an alpha.}
<Steins;Gate>

Also, I am glad that [url=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_7gT3QQMewFg/S3FgkIQjiMI/AAAAAAAAAPc/scR9G9R8MKw/s400/0+(5).jpg]John Titor
now has his own anime series and they did a good job.
Neane

Postby blkmage » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:04 pm

Neane (post: 1521214) wrote:I voted for Persona 4 and put the voting code down.

Unfortunately, you did not use a correct voting code (<ペルソナ4> when it should have been <ペルソナ>) so it did not get matched and counted.
blkmage

Postby MangaRocks! » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:58 pm

<Steins;Gate>

I pretty much said everything I want to say about this back when I watched it; but, for the purposes of the vote, I'll say just one more thing here:

El. Psy. Congroo.

:grin::thumb:
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby AnimeGirl » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:36 am

<Steins;Gate>

Open the Steins Gate!
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Falx » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:06 am

<Fate/zero>

Rider.

That's pretty much it really.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:14 am

BARGH!!

It absolutely kills me to vote against Stein;s Gate, but F/Z is a bit more my thing. Steins really exceeded my expectations and turned out to be a great show. However, the gravitas, the fights and the characters of F/Z just put it over the top this match. Whoever wins, though, likely won't fare as well in the next round...

<Fate/zero>
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:36 am

<Fate/zero>

It's interesting how these two particular works are matched up against each other because the context surrounding the creation of their stories is pretty similar. For one thing, both are the results of a Nitro+ collaboration (Steins;Gate is Nitro+/5pb and Fate/zero is Nitro+/TYPE-MOON). While Fate/zero is a light novel, it's not too much of a stretch to say that it's got some visual novel blood in it, what with it being a prequel to one of the most famous visual novels and being written by a celebrated visual novel writer. And both are good and successful adaptations of the source works, both breaking a pattern of otherwise terribleness (Nitro+ and Type-Moon visual novel adaptations).

In the end though, it's a combination of Urobuchi's writing and ufotable's production that puts Fate/zero ahead for me. And I still can't get over the fact that the Steins;Gate anime will never look as good as the visual novel, which is more of a fault of the anime medium more than anything else, but still.
blkmage

Postby Atria35 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:26 pm

<Steins;Gate>

One of the best anime I've seen this year.
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:57 pm

<Fate/zero>

I know this is pretty much just all the people who haven't seen F/Z voting for the much more popular(at least on here) Steins;Gate, but I will be absolutely baffled if the ugly and mildly-boring Steins;Gate beats the absolutely fantastic Fate/Zero. Yeah, Steins;Gate had some nifty rules about how things work(but as far as rules go the Nasuverse trumps Steins;Gate there as well), but F/Z has fantastic production, incredible characters, PACING, and some depth to the story and conflict. If you haven't seen it(and especially if you're one of those people who're crazy over Madoka, who was written by the same person) go watch this.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Atria35 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:16 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1521322) wrote:....PACING, and some depth to the story and conflict.

Pacing is a totally individual thing. There are a sizeable number of people who adore Shiki's pacing. I know a number of people (including myself) thought it was atrocious. I thought Steins;Gate had some pacing issues, but not as bad as you're making it out to be.
Atria35

Postby Neane » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:24 pm

[quote="blkmage (post: 152129)"]
Both are good and successful adaptations of the source works, both breaking a pattern of otherwise terribleness (Nitro+ and Type-Moon visual novel adaptations).
QUOTE]

Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ was a truly excellent adapation of the visual novel by Nitro+. (The only difference was the ending.)
Neane

Postby MasterDias » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:19 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1521322) wrote:
[B]I know this is pretty much just all the people who haven't seen F/Z voting for the much more popular(at least on here) Steins] Yeah, Steins;Gate had some nifty rules about how things work(but as far as rules go the Nasuverse trumps Steins;Gate there as well), but F/Z has fantastic production, incredible characters, PACING, and some depth to the story and conflict. If you haven't seen it(and especially if you're one of those people who're crazy over Madoka, who was written by the same person) go watch this.

Now I'm really tempted to vote for Steins Gate based on that. SG had a great story and characters, but to each his own I suppose. They are both very good. I think I'll give the slight edge to:

<Fate/zero>
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby blkmage » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:31 pm

Fate/zero: 5
Steins;Gate: 4

[font="Times New Roman"]IT'S A SHOW ABOUT TERRORISM[/font]
[SIZE="5"]Mawaru Penguindrum [font="Times New Roman"]vs.[/font] UN-GO[/SIZE]
<ピンドラ> ★ <UNGO>

ImageImage

[SIZE="4"]Mawaru Penguindrum (輪るピングドラム)[/SIZE]
There are penguins in it
Aired: Summer 2011
Studio: Brains Base
Director: Ikuhara Kunihiko
Cast: Kimura Ryohei, Kimura Subaru, Arakawa Miho
Adaptation: Original
Defeated: Ikoku Meiro no Croisée, Kimi to Boku, Hourou Musuko
Voting Code: <ピンドラ>

[SIZE="4"]UN-GO[/SIZE]
Postwar Japan 2.0
Aired: Fall 2011
Studio: Bones
Director: Mizushima Seiji
Cast: Katsuji Ryo, Toyosaki Aki
Adaptation: Novel by Sakaguchi Ango
Defeated: Mirai Nikki
Voting Code: <UNGO>

Voting closes at 2300 EST.
blkmage

Postby goldenspines » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:00 pm

WHATISTHISIDONTEVENNONONONO

*cries in the corner*

Oddly enough, both series still have a chance to mess up their endings. UN-GO has proven to be brilliant thus far, though seems to be weakening the story towards the end. Yet, I retain the hope it will be able to pull itself together.

Penguindrum on the other hand can end one of two ways, either absolutely fabulous and clever, or terrible confusing making us all go "lolwut?". This series does seem to be more promising it coming to a good conclusion considering its record thus far.

I love both, but because I already know Penguins will win, they don't need my help. I'll happily be voting for the underdog.

<UNGO>
goldenspines

Postby Vii » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:24 pm

( ゚Д゚)
NOOOOOO...

UN-GO was really the only show I was anticipating this season, as it was made by the same studio and director as FMA, but I hopped on the "Let's Watch Mawaru Penguindrum" bandwagon a few weeks ago and...well...
...Despite UN-GO being made by both the same studio and the same director as FMA...

...I currently like Mawaru Penguindrum a bit more than UN-GO.

It's got a really twisty plot and a really unique art style that I quite enjoy.
Not that I don't like UN-GO's animation; Studio BONES did a great job, but Penguindrum beats it in the "let's slap multiple plot twists in your face" department.

Lastly...
Penguins
Penguins
Penguins
Penguins

<ピンドラ>
Mawaru Penguindrum.
Vii

Postby AnimeGirl » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:36 pm

What the? Did Steins;Gate just LOSE? Kyaaah!! Oh well. At least Haruhi Suzumiya still has a chance!
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:55 pm

<ピンドラ>

You know, I expected this one to be a landslide, but UN-GO seems to have some fans here. In all honesty, though, Ikuhara shouldn't expect any less than a finals birth for his comeback show (because I know he reads this thread and cares).

I've only seen the first episode of UN-GO, which wasn't quite enough to hold my attention; however, the first episode of Penguindrum, and every subsequent episode, has been just dynamite. Equal parts mysterious, absurd, tragic, hilarious and surreal, Penguindrum is refreshing AND refreshingly brilliant in its concepts and execution.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:04 pm

Wow. I was really, really NOT expecting Steins;Gate to lose (at least at *this* point in the contest). And it's pretty much tied with Madoka in my current anime Top 5 Favorites list, too... :sniffle:

*Sigh*... moving on to this round:

<ピンドラ>

I have yet to see Un-Go (because, while I am fairly interested, I'm choosing to wait for reports on how it ends before I decide if I want to watch it or not :sweat:), but I've been watching Mawaru Penguindrum every week, and it is one of the most incredible things I've ever seen. (In fact, so far I'd place it only slightly under Madoka and Steins;Gate as the best anime aired this year.) And as for why that is, I don't think I can sum it up any better than SubtleDoc just did.
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Neane » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:10 pm

So...Steins;Gate lost to one season of a show.

Anyway, <ピンドラ>. Hands Down The Best Anime This Year. So packed with symbolism. Perfect in every shape, form, and meaning.
Even roriconfan loves it.
Neane

Postby blkmage » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:44 pm

So basically, everyone who voted for Steins;Gate hasn't seen Fate/zero, while almost everyone who voted for Fate/zero has seen both. HMMMMM

<ピンドラ>

Ikuhara is good at anime.

Even roriconfan loves it.

I'm not sure if I should ask what this means.
blkmage

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews