[Winter 2012] anime of the linux desktop

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:06 am

Falx (post: 1528932) wrote:Normal people don't normally make huge decisions for their life in only a shot period of time and the characters feel more realistic for that.
At the same time, I do like her overall decisiveness. It is nice not to have a character waffling over every choice that needs making.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Falx » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:15 am

Yeah... really I'm just surprised at how good overall it is. Especially with such a terrible name. And the previews did a poor job at selling the best parts of it.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby Falx » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:29 am

I did have a slight rage fit at the space walk though... why weren't they tethered for crying out loud!?
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:47 am

Falx (post: 1528974) wrote:Especially with such a terrible name.
Right up there with Tiger and Bunny in the category of shows that people dismiss when they only know their title.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Neane » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:18 pm

What does CAA's think of Rinne No Lagrange?

For me:

Madoka from Rinne No Lagrange represents the anti-thesis of the typical Angsty reluctant would-be hero. For she possesses a cheerful, confident personality with no skeletons in her closet, but she is not necessarily a Mary-Sue, only a girl who has that simple interest of helping out people in need. Now the funny thing about this is, well, Madoka was not persuaded by force or threats to become a would-be pilot for the enigmatic Novumundus agency. Instead, she innocently thought Lan was needing help, and being the sympathetic girl she is, Madoka is choppered to Pharos Base.

However, once hell broke loose [as the first of the Ovids assault the base], Madoka didn’t cower, or looked scared and trying to find the nearest bomb shelter.

She didn’t. She merely watched those Arleigh Burke destroyers unleash Harpoon missiles at the Ovid, and calmly asked Lan what in the world she was doing right with this strange machine that just almost psychically kicked her *** minutes ago.

All she knew was to ride a bike, but never something this complex. She also knew to play kendo, tennis and baseball, and yet…

Also:
After three episodes, it dawned upon me as to what sort of a message Lagrange wants to bring to the world.

It’s a very positive one, embodied in Madoka’s never-say-die, cheerful personality, even if one of the Ovids struck her Vox twice on the head as she tries to defend her hometown.
Neane

Postby MasterDias » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:04 pm

Lagrange is a lot of fun.

Madoka manages to be pretty hilarious, and is hard not to like. I love how she tried to choke her opponent with a power line, and hit a vending machine home-run using a light post.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Agloval » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:37 pm

Yeah, I like Lagrange so far. Nicely animated robots.
'That blast is blown for me, for I am the prize, and yet am I not dead.'
Agloval

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:33 pm

I think I said this once already, but a show that features one mecha German suplexing another, I have a lot of time for. Some critics are being way harsh on the series. I find it to be enjoyable "anime comfort food." Doesn't get me low but not too high either. It's very pleasant, and you guys are spot on, the lead is tremendously likable.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:52 pm

If you ever wanted to see a revolution founded upon no document less important than the student council charter, then Guilty Crown is the show for you.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:30 pm

Gonna note that this is around the time I usually put up the thread for the new season, but this time, I'm going to try waiting another month, so if you're wondering where it is, that's why.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:28 pm

Kakeru Aizawa has the heart of a champion.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Neane » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:06 pm

blkmage (post: 1529674) wrote:Gonna note that this is around the time I usually put up the thread for the new season, but this time, I'm going to try waiting another month, so if you're wondering where it is, that's why.

Sorry.
Neane

Postby MasterDias » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:51 pm

Man, Aquarion EVOL gets more hilarious with each passing episode. A group-date of "love starved" teenagers who get electrocuted by an armband whenever they get turned on...except for Amata who just gets stalked by and shot in the butt with a blow dart by Commander Donar.
Also, the school has one High Commander Zen who likes making donut analogies.

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:31 pm

MasterDias (post: 1530678) wrote:Also, the school has one High Commander Zen who likes making donut analogies.
That guy makes less sense now than in the first show.

Just how far will the Evol staff push the innuendo? "Pulling out of love." Man. One thing is for sure, it's pretty obvious they are having fun making this show.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:55 am

It seems like they took the unintentional hilarity in Aquarion and are running with it in Evol.
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:36 pm

So to chime in on all this old Lagrange talk, I am going to have to be the dissenting opinion.

Lagrange is a weird case where it has all these elements I really like, but none of them come together in a way that is interesting or likable. I love characters who're all about helping other people, but Madoka is kind of dumb and not all that interesting. I think someone pointed out how during that entire fight in episode three, all she needed to do was jump into the ocean instead of running amok, and it's clearly trying to make her endearing, but, I dunno, I can't really like her. I think she's getting a little too much credit for not being Shinji, and we've seen a fair number of things with anti-Shinji as the main character do it way better, even without going overboard on the GAR.

The robot designs I really like, and I really like the aspect of a base sending out the one robot(if this is supers, as Lagrange appears to mostly be at the moment) to fight the enemy in a desperate battle for survival, but the fights aren't all that interesting. I dunno, with robots that cool it shouldn't be that hard, but I need more dynamic movements than I am being given.

It also doesn't help that I absolutely hate Muginami, and I am flip-flopping on how much I like Lan.

I dunno, I'll keep the show but it is kind of disappoint.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Neane » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:13 pm

Am I the only one here that has been listening to the Berserk Movie OST almost all day long ?
Neane

Postby blkmage » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:08 pm

No, I feel the same way about Lagrange. It's not bad, but it just isn't interesting to me. It feels kind of like Star Driver without the style and earnestness. Or heck, even Aquarion Evol feels like it has more life behind it.
blkmage

Postby Cadence » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:29 pm

Since I've recently had a lot less time to spend doing...leisurely things like anime watching, the amount of stuff I'm watching per-season has fallen back a bit. I usually watch a fairly large amount of things per season, though whether or not I actually follow them to their conclusion is a different story. Since I've cut back I've been kind of surprised by the shows I'm still drawn to watch on a weekly basis.

I watched multiple episodes of Another, Thermae Romae, Mouretsu Pirates, Ano Natsu, and part of Lagranne, Area no Kishi, Brave 10, Nichibros, and InuXBoku...and put all of them on hold indefinitely, along with stuff continuing on from last season like Chihayafuru; out of all of the shows I watched, the only things I plan to follow consistently were really not what I was expecting from myself - Natsume 4 (ok, no surprise there), Poyopoyo (wut), and the Hunter X Hunter remake (which is a story I already know quite well...). Haha.
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6
Cadence

Postby Neane » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:39 pm

Extremely strong episode of Rinne No Lagrange. Also, what does CAA think of the Black Rock Shooter TV Series?
I have to say, The artwork is pretty eye-catchy, and the characters are presented in a nice way, and the action was pretty cool.
Neane

Postby MasterDias » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:11 pm

Black Rock Shooter was alright, but I don't feel especially compelled to continue. I'm satisfied with what I'm watching this season anyway.

Not sure I got whether what was happening in the "other world" was real, or just some sort of metaphor.

MasterDias

Postby A_Yellow_Dress » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:42 pm

I am curious as the approach seems to be different from that in the OVA. I still liked the first episode, but I was actually thinking that the TV series would not be stand alone, which is what it seems to be.

I still want some clues to how that other world works. ^I hope it just isn't a metaphor............

And they actually used the Black Rock Shooter song (someone pointed out that Miku sounds a little different though) for the ED! All I heard was an instrumental version in the OVA, and even though I'm not a huge fan of vocaloids, I did enjoy the ED.
"Contract?"
A_Yellow_Dress

Postby blkmage » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:48 pm

The CG for BRS seemed a little odd, but the real world segments just looked awful. The writing is not too hot either.

Now, Nichibros, that is a good show.
blkmage

Postby Neane » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:58 pm

Daily Lives of High School Boys is the comedy of the season.
Neane

Postby Maokun » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:46 am

I made a quick thread search and apparently no one has posted about GYO!! Gyo is the first anime adptation of a Junji Ito's manga. For the few that haven't heard about him, he's one of the most famous horror manga creators in Japan.

Ufotable is producing the anime as an OVA and it's being directed by Takayuki Hirao whose latest notable project was the 5th movie of Kara no Kyoukai.

Here's the trailer. WARNING: This is definitely going to be an R+18 thing and definitely not suitable for everyone.

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby Atria35 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:19 am

I'm sure that I had said something about it. I'm a huge fan of Junji Ito, so I'll be watching it for sure.
Atria35

Postby blkmage » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:08 pm

Today I watched Guilty Crown, Black Rock Shooter, and Inu x Boku SS. Out of the three, only Inu x Boku SS did not make me go what after I was finished.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:22 pm

Guilty Crown has entered "completely effing nuts" territory. I am not really invested in the show, so it isn't frustrating me, but it has just decided to well-and-truly screw with the characters' personalities.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:33 pm

Yeah, I mean, the first half of the show was kind of like, well, okay, but now it's just doing the same amazing and captivating self-immolation as Geass R2.
blkmage

Postby A_Yellow_Dress » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:46 pm

blkmage (post: 1532428) wrote:Today I watched Guilty Crown, Black Rock Shooter, and Inu x Boku SS. Out of the three, only Inu x Boku SS did not make me go what after I was finished.

I second the what? for Black Rock Shooter. Not sure exactly what is going on there....

[spoiler]I thought the rule was that they have to wait till episode three before someone loses their head. :lol: [/spoiler]

Also, Mato's hair bugs me, haha.
"Contract?"
A_Yellow_Dress

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews