[Winter 2012] anime of the linux desktop

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Neane » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:15 pm

blkmage (post: 1542184) wrote:Guilty Crown sells like 10k units per volume in Japan

That is because Japan has bad taste...second season of Akagi WHEN?
Neane

Postby Neane » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:48 pm

The finale of Guilty Crown was a cop-out, rushed as hell, trying to wrap up fifty side stories in 5 minutes and as usual screwed everything and used every single convenient cliché in the book. And they were still ripping-off scenes from Neon Genesis Evangelion and they even ripped off a few scenes from Eden: It's an Endless World for crying out loud!!!!

Hollow and emotionless final impressions from a complete disaster of an anime.

Ok, this travesty is over. Now waiting for the next project to make fun of, Sword Art Online.

ENJOYMENT SECTION: 1/10
I enjoyed making fun of it but the show itself is a complete train-wreck.

VERDICT: 3.5/10
Neane

Postby goldenspines » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:08 pm

Oh, I guess I shouldn't watch the second half of Guilty Crown then. I was worried they would get even more lazy with the story in the end. :\

At least the art was pretty. XD;
goldenspines

Postby blkmage » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:20 pm

Wait, what does SAO have to do with Guilty Clown? I don't see any shared staff or anything.

Well, at least I got some decent supercell singles out of this thing.
blkmage

Postby Neane » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:48 pm

blkmage (post: 1542225) wrote:Wait, what does SAO have to do with Guilty Clown? I don't see any shared staff or anything.

Well, at least I got some decent supercell singles out of this thing.

Sorry, I misspelled the word "the". Anyway, SAO is nothing but a cheap rip-off of .hack//sign [But then again, .hack//sign is so good that of course people rip-off it, the same way that people Rip-off Legend of the Galactic Heroes [Looking at you Death Note and Code Geass] and NGE [Looking at you Guilty Crown.] and I will enjoy making complete fun of it when it airs. It will be utterly awful.

Also, that Guilty Crown OVA

Guilty Crown: Lost Christmas

I know why they called it that: They warn you about what will happen if you gift this anime to someone you love on Christmas.
Neane

Postby blkmage » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:09 am

Not that I'd necessarily disagree in the case of SAO, because I haven't read it yet, but that's an extremely liberal definition of ripping something off.

http://puu.sh/m0Xa

Ratings! Guilty Crown and BRS did 1.5% for their finales, the worst for noitaminA in a while.
blkmage

Postby MasterDias » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:12 pm

Neane (post: 1542228) wrote:Sorry, I misspelled the word "the". Anyway, SAO is nothing but a cheap rip-off of .hack//sign

Sword Art Online didn't rip-off .hack. SAO originally started as a web novel that dates back to 2002, so they started at around the same time. And I believe only the first arc/premise really shares any similarities with .hack anyway.

And Death Note rips-off Legend of the Galactic Heroes? Seriously?
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Neane » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:12 pm

Yes it does.

Welp, this season was pretty terrible.

Looking forward to next season...so many great manga getting animated.
Neane

Postby Cadence » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:38 pm

So the Natsume anime ends with The Long Road Home arc...the only chapters from the manga that actually made me cry, and probably my favorite arc overall. If you have even talked to me...just once...you know how much I love this story, and that it really means a lot to me. I love Midorikawa-sensei's manga, but I have to salute Brains Base and the anime staff for taking something that was very, very good and making it something even better.

Takahiro Omori has been tweeting rather cruel things today...

お父さん、お父さん!

城川沿いに西へまっすぐ……

(T_T)
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6
Cadence

Postby blkmage » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:16 pm

Natsume Image

NatsuMachi was really awesome. It surprised me a bit with how well it was put together and thought out. Hopefully, this means I can look forward to more things of this calibre from J.C. Staff.
blkmage

Postby Neane » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:17 pm

Ano Natsu de Matteru was awful.
Neane

Postby blkmage » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:29 pm

Thank you, that is an extremely compelling argument. You're right, it was terrible.
blkmage

Postby Neane » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:34 pm

blkmage (post: 1543145) wrote:Thank you, that is an extremely compelling argument. You're right, it was terrible.

For some reason I sense Sarcasm.
Anyway, it was nothing like Ano Hana. Ano Natsu de Matteru was nothing more than a show full of dumb, angsty teens and was a rip-off story of the even-MORE ****** anime Onegai Teacher.
It was nothing but another harem anime with a wuss protagonist and chicks who love him for that]Onegai Teacher[/B] for Dummies.

-same character designer
-same director
-same character body and hairstyles
-SAME VOICE ACTRESSES
-same stupid romantic premise (AxBxCxD)

Pretty much all they did was change the names of the characters, and even that is supposed to be an 'homage' to the previous show. Give me a f***ing break. Leftover pizza in the microwave is not an 'homage' to last night's dinner, it's recycled. This premise was contrived and badly-written the first time, and the second time as Onegai Twins; it was purely a fanboy wankfest then and it still is now.
Neane

Postby blkmage » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:43 pm

Putting aside whether or not NatsuMachi is good or not for a second, are you telling me that one difference between AnoHana and NatsuMachi is that NatsuMachi has dumb, angsty teens and AnoHana doesn't?
blkmage

Postby Neane » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:44 pm

blkmage (post: 1543152) wrote:Putting aside whether or not NatsuMachi is good or not for a second, are you telling me that one difference between AnoHana and NatsuMachi is that NatsuMachi has dumb, angsty teens and AnoHana doesn't?

Anyway, AnoHana had to deal with the Mature Topic of Growing Up.
Each of the six characters had distinct personalities, and each of them changed in different ways after having to cope with the main point; each one harboring guilty feelings towards the incident. The explication of how each character dealt with their trauma was really good and very believable and they were dynamic, believable.

This new show had nothing like that, it just had standard run of the mill characters.
Neane

Postby blkmage » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:11 pm

Well, that's fine. It's definitely not amazing, but I set a pretty low bar for it, which it managed to clear pretty easily. For that, I'll consider it a success. Although I do have trouble taking your criticisms of NatsuMachi seriously when you praise AnoHana like that. Or I guess that it seems like you didn't bother to watch the show at all. Oh well.
blkmage

Postby Neane » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:27 pm

blkmage (post: 1543162) wrote:Well, that's fine. It's definitely not amazing, but I set a pretty low bar for it

If it was not amazing, then why do you hope for more of this same level of anime from J.C. Staff?
Also, you really think that the kids in Ano Hana were dumb?
To me they were well-characterized and came across as not simply meaningless archetypes, they were all involved in the story without becoming superfluous, and showed both character development and good character exploration.
Neane

Postby blkmage » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:18 pm

Not amazing doesn't mean horrible. There's a rich gradient of enjoyment and quality in between the best thing ever and the worst thing ever. I don't always need to enjoy the absolute best thing out there. And J.C. Staff's been fishing at the bottom end of that spectrum a lot lately, so it's nice to see them make something that I kind of enjoyed.

I actually really dislike the AnoHana characters and I think that the show worked in spite of them and not because of them. Most of them are irritating and/or act in a way that reeeeeeeeally stretches my suspension of disbelief.

NatsuMachi worked the polygon and did relationship drama pretty well and I think it did it better than Toradora. It also moved relationship development along at a better pace than usual. Actually, that reminds me that AnoHana's relationship drama was pretty awful.
blkmage

Postby Neane » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:18 pm

Okay, I respect your opinion on these shows despite the fact that we strongly disagree with each other on these two shows. Let us be Mature and not cause this to turn into a war that will destroy this forum.
Neane

Postby blkmage » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:14 pm

Winter sales numbers so far (BD+DVD).

11,619 *1 Inu x Boku SS
10,345 *2 Natsume Yuujinchou Shi
*9,121 *1 High School DxD
*6,128 *1 Ano Natsu de Matteru
*4,588 *2 Mouretsu Pirates
*4,434 *1 BRAVE10
*4,012 *2 PapaKiki
*3,089 *1 Rinne no Lagrange
・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・MANABI LINE・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・2,899
*2,353 *1 Milky Holmes 2
**,686 *1 Kill Me Baby
**,*** *0 Zero no Tsukaima F
blkmage

Postby Atria35 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:46 am

Well. I am actually fantastically thrilled that Natsume is so high on that list.
Atria35

Postby MightiMidget » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:38 am

*delayed response to the party*

Finished Guilty Crown. YAY. Ugh. I think I enjoyed No. 6 a little more... but the two are somewhat close together. Meh. I can't make myself like Shu. No matter how much awful he goes through and how horrible things may or may not have ended up for him. Which I found really disappointing in the end.
MightiMidget

Postby Neane » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:00 am

The Good: Bios by Mika Kobayashi and Hill Of Sorrow * Animation (except some episode) * Chara Design. [It hurts to see how much work went into the animation and soundtrack just to distract from the piece of crap that it really was. I don´t need to go into detail]
The Ugly: Storytelling & almost all characters especially Shu: Worst main-character I have ever seen in an anime .
And Guilty Crown is the second most horrible show I have ever had patience to watch through. [The Number One show is and Will always be Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon.{This show is for masochists. If you like to get the crap annoyed outta yourself ´cause of totally retarded characters [Even worse than Guilty Crown] , pointless boob groping, bad to non-existent directing and repetitive jokes, Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon is for you. Also: Did you check out the books? The books are huge!
} ]
Here are the First Three Volumes of Horizon:
[They were so big that they were forced to split them into individual books.]

On To Guilty Crown Again:

In a positive light maybe producers will take note of the negative reception Guilty Crown has received and perform better next time [Then again....those Japs are making Sword Art xD and that is going to be ****ing awful.]. If anything GC will forever serve as a measure that will gauge the quality or inferiority of many series to come.

Also, I feel sorry for people who didn't watch Lagrange in 720p, the show basically demanded it with the visuals.
Neane

Postby Neane » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:06 am

Double Post.
Neane

Postby blkmage » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:39 am

Are you serious? Guilty Crown is like the third best-selling noitaminA series ever. No production committee will ever care what we think of it.
blkmage

Postby Neane » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:13 am

blkmage (post: 1545213) wrote:Guilty Crown is like the third best-selling noitaminA series ever. No production committee will ever care what we think of it.

Everyone, say goodbye to what anime was. Guilty Crown was a hybridised ******* offspring of Code Geass and Neon Genesis Evangelion (with a dash of Eden of the East and Eden: It's an Endless World! thrown in). The writers showed every sign of wanting to cram as much ripped-off material as they possibly can into the narrative, leading it a badly paced and extremely confusing mess, filled it with contradictions, plot holes, and events that make no sense if you take two minutes off to think about them. Also. I really don't want a further promotion of the racial/nationalistic implications this show was mining its initial story path with. Because if this show was an indicator, or a promoter, of what Japan wants to think of outlanders, especially in their current socio-economic situation, we may be headed for some *real* trouble our way in a decade or two.

Also, if I may talk about the current Period of anime. I personally believe that in this decade the anime industry will focus a lot more on animation and a lot less on amazing artwork. Anime were never very good in fluent motions and following the demands of newer audiences I believe the best option is stylization and dynamic motions. This may end up making anime to look a lot more like silly cartoons but at the same time many people turn away from anime today exactly because they are stiff and repetitive.
Neane

Postby Maokun » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:31 am

You know, all this talk about Guilty Crown is making me really curious... :P

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby MightiMidget » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:36 am

Maokun (post: 1545250) wrote:You know, all this talk about Guilty Crown is making me really curious... :P

It's shiny and it sounds cool. Things blow up. :P If it had been half as long I probably would have really enjoyed it. I'd give it plus points for soundtrack and potentially for animation, but I can't judge what's good and what's bad animation. But it looks pretty regardless. *whistle* So it's not a total scrap heap. The only character I liked (personally anywho :P ) was Daryl...who's barely in it and when he is, he's not a particularly nice person. *whistles again*
MightiMidget

Postby Neane » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:12 pm

The Action is Terrible. I am not referring to the actual choreography, which is by far amongst the most elaborate I have encountered in the past years. The robot action is very exciting with its brawling, missile launchers, huge machineguns, and trashing of the whole scenery. At the same time, it is plain fake and has a hundred directing, plausibility, and storyboard problems. Also, this is what happens in episode 20:
[spoiler]The whole virus thing is actually an alien invasion and that kid who can teleport anywhere it feels like it is Death, their envoy. And he wants to create the Fourth Apocalypse. What were the other three? Is this some NGE rip-off? Anyways, he plans to do that by using Mana as the new Eve and Shuu as the new Adam. I guess it is a NGE rip-off after all. Wasn’t Code Geass enough you bastards? Anyways, Shuu’s father invents after decades of research the Voids as means to prevent the virus from taking over the body. This would somehow save the world from the alien invasion. Yeah, ok, how about killing Mana in a few seconds and thus saving the world you idiot? She is clearly not your cute daughter; she is an alien queen who doesn’t give a f*ck about you or anyone else on the planet. Anyways, his father’s rival makes his own experiments as means to create his own Adam and thus having his own little version of the Third Impact… I mean Fourth Apocalypse. But the main specimen, Gai, escapes because he doesn’t want to have sex… I mean be a guinea pig. He falls into the sea and is accidentally saved by Mana. Convenient or what? So anyways, some years later, Shuu refuses to go hentai with his sister, so she goes crazy and blows up, and he gets amnesiac. Her tiny parts somehow get into kids and anyone under a certain age can now pilot an EVA… I mean manifest a Void with the king’s power. So the villains make a clone of Mana and name her Rei… I mean Inori. She somehow escapes with the vial containing the king’s power, becomes a pop idol, and at the same time works as a rebel in Gai’s team without the villains managing to find her. So all this time the villains’ plan was to kill as many Void users as possible for Mana to get her powers back. Yes, lots of human bodies fusing into one; what does that remind me of? Ok, I see, now everything makes sense… not.[/spoiler]

And Then in Episode 21:
[spoiler]Shuu used the diversion as means to not stall time while going to save Inori… for the second time. So imagine his surprise when he arrives too late and she has now turned to Mana. Hm, could it be because instead of rushing towards her as stealthy as possible as he intended all along, he wasted 10 whole minutes in order to save an unimportant soldier from an enemy mecha? Meaning, despite trying to show compassion for once and caring about someone else besides Inori, he screwed up big time. He is such a fail of a character that can’t do anything right no matter the action he takes.[/spoiler]

AND The villains. Oh Boy! They are so stupid even a kid could do better. It would fit if they were some pitiful gang of hooligans but no, they are supposed to be an elite military organization which has the entire nation in its hands and plans to take over the universe with an elaborate masterplan. Unless the average I.Q. of a citizen in this show is around 60, then there is no possible way for them to be making so many ridiculous mistakes all the time and yet be world leaders.

Also I have to say, how can someone enjoy this show you may be wondering? It is quite simple actually, all he has to do is just stare at the pretty visuals, listen to that porn doll called Inori sing [The heroine. First of all, what the hell is this outfit she wears? A half naked clown fish? Fetishes anyone? And she is supposed to be a pop idol? Macross meets Code Geass? And seriously, the last scene of episode 2 regarding the “mysterious transfer student, oh who could it be?” made me facepalm. Yes, it’s her, exactly as the kitsch stereotype dictates. And guess what, she even moves in his house soon afterwards JUST BECAUSE. And later on she now has ultra powerful superpowers JUST BECAUSE. First she is a frail pop idol, then a ghost ninja, then a cocky sharpshooter, then a healing singer, then some sort of clone of an incestuous *****, then a horny demon. In one episode she has no qualms to shoot to death soldiers, in another she does her best to disarm and knock them unconscious WITH A PISTOL. And let it be noted that NOBODY told her to appreciate life. SHE IS CONSTANTLY OUT OF CHARACTER! Consistency anyone? Aside from that, her only purpose in the show is to motivate Shuu into doing things he otherwise has no balls to even dream of thinking. Other than that she is just an apathetic sex doll for the otaku audience. She is impossible to be liked as a person; she is nothing but a poorly written cosplay whore that behaves in any way its pimps order her to act.], eat pop corn while things blow up and above all he needs to NOT BE THINKING! Seriously, don’t think at all. The slightest thought that will pass from your mind is enough to make you see plot holes and stupid things happening. You can of course filter all that out and see the whole thing as a parody of Code Geass and just have fun with how dumb everything plays out. It is by far not a mature or well written show. It is just dumb fun and guilty pleasure (exactly what the name implies) for viewers with really low expectations. And sure, many are bound to love it, in the same way so many loved Twilight. Does that make it a good show? Hell no. So don’t watch this show for any other reason than to point your finger at it and laugh with how bad it is. Thank you for your understanding and in case you actually liked the show for any other reason then I pity you.
Neane

Postby Neane » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:43 pm

Finished Senki Zesshou Symphogear: Meteoroid-falling, Burning, and Disappear, Then....
Neane

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews