[Winter 2012] anime of the linux desktop

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:52 pm

Not really sure where to put this but has anyone else been noticing a decrease in quality in the Crunchyroll free streams? It used to look pretty good for not being 480p but now even stuff like the subtitles are grainy and I'm not sure if it's me or the video.

Edit: This is only when I go fullscreen, by the way. It looks the same as always when I don't have it fullscreen.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Neane » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:20 pm

Brave 10 was so-so in the end.
Neane

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:33 pm

Just finished Chihayafuru. Excellent, satisfying stuff. The first third in particular seemed to get everything right. The final episode was pretty poignant as a closer.

Sad it's over. I'm glad Gundam AGE is still running, at least...
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Zeldafan2 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:58 am

Watching Another, and it is pretty good so far. But the plot hasn't really jumpstarted yet after the first two episodes. 3 looks like its going to be good though.
Zeldafan2

Postby blkmage » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:12 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1545610) wrote:Not really sure where to put this but has anyone else been noticing a decrease in quality in the Crunchyroll free streams? It used to look pretty good for not being 480p but now even stuff like the subtitles are grainy and I'm not sure if it's me or the video.

Edit: This is only when I go fullscreen, by the way. It looks the same as always when I don't have it fullscreen.

Hm, yeah, it looks like the SD player isn't scaling properly for some reason.
blkmage

Postby Neane » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:08 am

You Know, I am missing Guilty Crown. I looked forward to watching it each week because of how awful it was.

Anyway, Aquarion EVOL is the only show from this season that I am still watching and thus far I have been enjoying it.

Eminem - Space Bound:
“Love is evol, spell it backwards, I'll show ya”
Neane

Postby blkmage » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:12 pm

Minori Scramble: Penguin anime of the year.
blkmage

Postby Neane » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:36 pm

The Penguin Gods are Pleased.
Neane

Postby Neane » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:32 pm

Guilty Crown is

Anime is selling ~9000 average
>Manga is selling good
>LN is high in preorder charts
>VN is pretty high in preorder charts
>Inori is the most popular figure at this moment
>Music is selling pretty well

WHY?
Neane

Postby blkmage » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:54 am

LOL AQUARION
[SPOILER]aw, no more OSORE LIVING YOUR LIFE KEEP MOVING ON
obviously, the fujoshi has rotting powers
SUKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
SOUSEI NO AQUARION
ICHIMANNEN TO NISENNEN MAE KARA A-I-SHI-TE-RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
MUGEN PUNCH THROUGH THE FIRST SEASON
L O L
[/SPOILER]
blkmage

Postby Neane » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:22 pm

Watched that all important beach episode of EVOL today and what a fantastic episode it was. Lol bananas and breaking the fourth wall.
Neane

Postby Neane » Mon May 07, 2012 2:05 pm

My reaction to the latest episode of EVOL:

Neane

Postby Neane » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:58 pm

Finished that Pirate Show, the ending was pretty good IMO.
Neane

Postby Falx » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:56 pm

Eureka 7 AO Ep 12:

WHAT!?
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby Neane » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:43 am

Falx (post: 1575011) wrote:Eureka 7 AO Ep 12:

WHAT!?

The last episode of Eureka Seven AO was the best one by far, and I decided that before the ending.
Neane

Postby Falx » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:59 am

Episode 13:

Freakin' finally.

It all makes sense now.

[spoiler]Stable time loop detected. Well played, Bones... it's a sequel AND a prequel at the same time![/spoiler]
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby Neane » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:28 pm

I finished Aquarion EVOL

I honestly didn't expect they'd actually go there but oh they did...

What saved the finale from being a total and complete failure and in the process satisfactorily salvaged the show overall was the self-awareness of what kind of material they were dealing with and they might as well push it as far as possible...it kinda worked and the final episode turned out to be an explosion of over the top madness not seen in anime that often...and the finale per se was very much in Aquarion spirit and while it was rushed in some place sit did give a great and proper ending to the "Maximally dumb story of everyday love put in the emotion amplifier machine that is known as Aquarion".

Also, in the non-surpise of the day a interview confirmed that Kawamori based the whole series on a dumb kanji pun. >.>

All in all Aquarion EVOL was a pretty nice show, very entertaining for most of its run and had few moments of utter and complete screwball brilliance. Unfortunately it also suffered from major shortcomings and flaws that became impossible to shrug off during the final third. Responsibility for these I'm putting on shoulders of Kawamori's laissez-faire, and his in it for the total and complete lulz mentality and Okada's unfocused script that tries to keep as many doors open as possible for way too long. AKB0048 clearly shows it's not like consistency, careful attention to detail and focused writing are impossible to get from the pair and thus the **** ups are best explained through the creative mode and the total lulzy spirit the staff had. The recent interviews certainly deepen this impression with Kawamori coming off as quite aloof regarding the episode to episode character drama (apart from general ideas and the most wild, oddball pitches that tended to be show's best moments like the victory through fanservice episode, the buried alive episode and the whole MIX turning into MIXY trolling) while Okada once again fell for her biggest sins.

I have to say that the infuriatingly poor handling of Mikono (though by finale it had turned into a tragicomedy I could only laugh at:

and the utter lack of consistent planning on what to do with Zessica are the smoking guns. All in all, while it had some utter **** writing and some infuriating moments, I would say that I was on broad with the whole sexy gattai train...
Neane

Previous

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews