[Winter 2012] anime of the linux desktop

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:46 pm

Who knew you could learn such deep truths from the doughnut? Apparently, the writers for Aquarion Evol did.

This show is soooo dumb but in the best possible way; such fun. I'm actually starting to get into some of the characters. I was really happy for Andy this past episode.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:12 am

more like Aquarion ELOH mirite

oh yeah and Guilty Christ Allegories

Black★Rock Everyone on this show is insane
blkmage

Postby Neane » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:47 am

Natsume Yuujinchou Shi is by far the best anime this season.
Neane

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:55 am

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1534303) wrote:So Moretsu Pirates is my favorite show for the season.

Heck yeah.

I was gonna say something about this, but Hat took care of it for me.
Thanks hat :D.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Maokun » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:21 pm

Neane (post: 1536455) wrote:Natsume Yuujinchou Shi is by far the best anime this season.

Not keeping up with Nisemonogatari, are we? :P

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby blkmage » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:17 pm

No, I agree, if I had to choose, I'd be leaning towards Natsume.
blkmage

Postby Neane » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:44 pm

Someone really needs to caption this.
Neane

Postby A_Yellow_Dress » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:46 pm

Isn't it going to drive itself? :P

I have no idea of the actual context of this image... XD
A_Yellow_Dress

Postby Maokun » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:30 am

blkmage (post: 1536576) wrote:No, I agree, if I had to choose, I'd be leaning towards Natsume.

oh? Now I'm seriously surprised. Is really a series that has been running for several years so good? I mean, I've heard only good things about it in all the past "Best Anime of the Year" where it has bested in competence other really great series time after time.

I guess I'm just not wanting to acknowledge it, since at this point getting the whole series seems to me like a ridiculous amount of time, money and/or bandwidth.

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
Maokun

Postby Atria35 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:37 am

^ That's like people asking whether LoTGH is really that good. If you've only heard good things and people vote for it over other good series, then there has to be something to it.
Atria35

Postby Zeldafan2 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:01 am

My question is, won't we have to wait a while to be able to watch them, even when they are released? I mean, they won't be availiable for subs immeadiatly.

I am not trying to be a downer, i'm just saying.
Zeldafan2

Postby blkmage » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:27 am

Maokun (post: 1536624) wrote:oh? Now I'm seriously surprised. Is really a series that has been running for several years so good? I mean, I've heard only good things about it in all the past "Best Anime of the Year" where it has bested in competence other really great series time after time.

I guess I'm just not wanting to acknowledge it, since at this point getting the whole series seems to me like a ridiculous amount of time, money and/or bandwidth.

Well, to put it into context, think about how long all of the Monogatari series would be if it all got animated. That'd be Bakemonogatari (上,下), Kizumonogatari, Nisemonogatari (上,下), Nekomonogatari (黒,白), Kabukimonogatari, Hanamonogatari, Otorimonogatari, Onimonogatari, Koimonogatari, Tsukimonogatari, Owarimonogatari, and Zokuowarimonogatari.
blkmage

Postby Maokun » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:38 am

Atria35 (post: 1536636) wrote:^ That's like people asking whether LoTGH is really that good. If you've only heard good things and people vote for it over other good series, then there has to be something to it.

Yeah, I do suppose it must be "good" for the reasons you mention. It's just that for blkmage to state that it's better than Nisemonogatori... that's like a totally different tier. Also, I'm honestly surprised it apparently remains so prominently good after 4 seasons... I mean, other great series with unwavering quality start losing relevance with the pass of years as their excellence starts to be taken for granted and newer, shiny things take the main spots. For it to remain atop of the game as super new and shiny stuff like Nisemono enters the game seems almost baffling to me, especially given its rather unoriginal premise and its absence of any noteworthy production values (if I hear correctly.)

Likely I'll change my mind when (if?) I get to see it but until then my skeptic eyebrow remains firmly lodged a couple inches above its resting position.

EDIT:[quote]Well, to put it into context, think about how long all of the Monogatari series would be if it all got animated. That'd be Bakemonogatari (上]

Wow, there's more material left than I initially suspected. Anyhow, as said above, I would expect that even -monogatari would lose relevance after several seasons in. That's why I'm surprised Natsume is still holding out. To my uneducated eyes is like saying that One Piece is the best anime of [insert year]

Maokun

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:36 am

Maokun (post: 1536667) wrote:Yeah, I do suppose it must be "good" for the reasons you mention. It's just that for blkmage to state that it's better than Nisemonogatori... that's like a totally different tier. Also, I'm honestly surprised it apparently remains so prominently good after 4 seasons... I mean, other great series with unwavering quality start losing relevance with the pass of years as their excellence starts to be taken for granted and newer, shiny things take the main spots. For it to remain atop of the game as super new and shiny stuff like Nisemono enters the game seems almost baffling to me, especially given its rather unoriginal premise and its absence of any noteworthy production values (if I hear correctly.)

Likely I'll change my mind when (if?) I get to see it but until then my skeptic eyebrow remains firmly lodged a couple inches above its resting position.
Actually, I wouldn't raise Nisemonogatari to "a totally different tier". It's pretty good and unlike it's predecessor actually has some animation, but it's pacing is way off, it suffers from being a sequel to Bakemonogatari rather than more Bakemonogatari(since we have to keep revisiting each girl), and it has a disturbingly large amount of fanservice with a girl whose body is that of an eight year old. In fact, of all the stuff I'm watching that's airing right now I'd say Moretsu Pirates, Natsume, and Chihayafuru are all more enjoyable and better shows than Nisemonogatari. For Natsume, it's a show that has built on itself every new season, so while the first season is pretty good, the second and third seasons are really great, and this fourth season is my favorite part of the show so far. I also want to know how -monogatari's premise is less generic than Natsume's(both are about boy who helps people with their various spirit-related problems). Natsume won't have Shinbo's crazy directing, but it's not like that's something uniquely held by -monogatari stuff, and the music/voice acting for Natsume is great, and this fourth season has pretty great animation. Natsume's focus is much different than -monogatari's, and I'd compare it more to Mushishi than anything else(but with more character growth).
Wow, there's more material left than I initially suspected. Anyhow, as said above, I would expect that even -monogatari would lose relevance after several seasons in. That's why I'm surprised Natsume is still holding out. To my uneducated eyes is like saying that One Piece is the best anime of [insert year]
I am pretty surprised to see you think that anything stretching beyond 26 episodes will inevitably go downhill. Natsume is based on a manga that is only twelve volumes at the moment, but if I told you that Natsume Yuujincho was an excellent manga that was twelve volumes, would you dismiss it because it's too long? Natsume actually has built on itself really well by being about the characters and watching Natsume grow more comfortable as he develops his opinions on youkai and humans and also has to get over his fairly terrible childhood.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Maokun » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:46 am

Oh... for some reason I thought that each season of Natsume was 26 episodes or more... my bad, that's much more manageable. But also, note that I wasn't really intending that a decline in quality is inevitable in a long series, but rather, a decline in popularity when compared with newer good stuff (almost regardless of degrees quality.) Then again, CAA is a fairly more educated and discerning community than most I know :)

As for Nisemonogatari, I disagree with you but it's clearly a difference in subjective perceptions so I'll just respect your opinion. Not to mention that I'm aware of being awfully hypocritical talking about all these things when Nisemonogatari is the only show I'm watching this season.

Maokun

Postby Neane » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:37 am

Is it just me...or does this season have more amounts of fan-service than almost any other season?
Neane

Postby blkmage » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:58 am

Maokun (post: 1536694) wrote:Oh... for some reason I thought that each season of Natsume was 26 episodes or more... my bad, that's much more manageable. But also, note that I wasn't really intending that a decline in quality is inevitable in a long series, but rather, a decline in popularity when compared with newer good stuff (almost regardless of degrees quality.) Then again, CAA is a fairly more educated and discerning community than most I know :)

As for Nisemonogatari, I disagree with you but it's clearly a difference in subjective perceptions so I'll just respect your opinion. Not to mention that I'm aware of being awfully hypocritical talking about all these things when Nisemonogatari is the only show I'm watching this season.

It really depends. For Natsume specifically, there are a few things that help it stay interesting. The obvious one is that it's more episodic. Another one is that there are sometimes really long breaks in between seasons. And it's not just that Natsume is just as good, but I think it's gotten better as it went along.

But ultimately, it's all about where the story is going. Even though Natsume is episodic, there's a lot to explore there. Natsume's really good at finding new avenues to travel in while retaining what it started out with. Where a lot of long series fail is in giving a sense of progress. That's pretty easy to do for Natsume since it's not really plot driven.

Nisemonogatari has been underwhelming precisely because it doesn't feel like it's going somewhere. It's clever and hilarious and I like watching the characters do stuff, but nothing feels like it's been of consequence. And I say this even though I know what's coming in later novels.
blkmage

Postby Neane » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:18 pm

Symphogear is so unbelievably terrible and awful, yet I enjoy watching it.
Neane

Postby Maokun » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:49 pm

blkmage (post: 1536706) wrote:It really depends. For Natsume specifically, there are a few things that help it stay interesting. The obvious one is that it's more episodic. Another one is that there are sometimes really long breaks in between seasons. And it's not just that Natsume is just as good, but I think it's gotten better as it went along.

But ultimately, it's all about where the story is going. Even though Natsume is episodic, there's a lot to explore there. Natsume's really good at finding new avenues to travel in while retaining what it started out with. Where a lot of long series fail is in giving a sense of progress. That's pretty easy to do for Natsume since it's not really plot driven.

Nisemonogatari has been underwhelming precisely because it doesn't feel like it's going somewhere. It's clever and hilarious and I like watching the characters do stuff, but nothing feels like it's been of consequence. And I say this even though I know what's coming in later novels.

Thanks for that, it cleared many unstated questions.

Maokun

Postby Agloval » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:43 pm

Neane (post: 1536793) wrote:Symphogear is so unbelievably terrible and awful, yet I enjoy watching it.
Mega. Deth. Party.
'That blast is blown for me, for I am the prize, and yet am I not dead.'
Agloval

Postby Neane » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:28 pm

Agloval (post: 1536917) wrote:Mega. Deth. Party.

That was an awesome moment.

I wonder what does CAA [Those who are still watching it] think of Senki Zesshō Symphogear? I mean, it is enjoyable thus far.
Neane

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:35 pm

I'm keeping up with Symphogear, but at this point I usually have to pull a friend up on IM if I want to make it through it in a timely fashion. The music is nice, but the writing sucks and the fights are pretty boring and uninteresting. The only reason I haven't dropped it at this point is because I'm eight episodes in and I might as well finish it.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:55 pm

After a promising first episode, Symphogear got pretty unbearable for me, pretty quickly. About four episodes in, I stopped caring about anyone or anything in that story.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Neane » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:24 pm

Dat Hat.
Neane

Postby Maokun » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:16 pm

It's an ok hat. I said with a posed look.

Of more relevance for our peace of mind, no QBs allowed in -monogatari's universe. Image

Maokun

Postby Neane » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:58 pm

The thing about Symphogear is that it was meant to be a 2-course show, but then budget happened... and this is all you get.

This show had a lot of potential, there are a lot of important topics in it; it's just a shame that all of this got completely ruined....
And once again, thanks to the budget.. the absurd fast pacing that is completely ruining the script isn't helping either..

This is one of those mixed feeling shows, to me... it had a lot of potential, since I really liked episode 1.. .
But then episode 2 happened.. and it all went to ****...

The only redeeming factor that I can see in this show has is that one can still watch it just for the heck of it, and that despite all the **** that came down after the 1st episode, it's still enjoyable to watch [at least to me], even if all of the potential it once had to become a truly spectacular show has long been lost...so sad.
Neane

Postby blkmage » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:03 pm

This week's NatsuMachi gives it a decent shot at best anime of the season.

I guess J.C. Staff's still got it if they put in some effort.
blkmage

Postby Neane » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:47 pm

Neane

Postby Neane » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:05 am

The 1st Berserk Film's BD/DVD release date is May 23.
Neane

Postby blkmage » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:04 pm

You may recall that Guilty Crown is getting a prequel visual novel from Nitro+. You may be glad to hear that it contains the same subtlety that you'd expect from the show, with character names like Scrooge, Carol, Past, Present, and Yet To Come.

L O L
blkmage

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews