[Winter 2012] anime of the linux desktop

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

[Winter 2012] anime of the linux desktop

Postby blkmage » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:50 pm

Because the world is going to end, GET IT? HA HA HA.

Much like the threads before it, this is a thread I created for the discussion of new anime that will be airing on TV in Japan in the Winter 2012 season. Anime typically gets released and runs for a number of seasons. The year is divided up into four seasons: January to March is winter, April to June is spring, July to September is summer, and October to December is fall. Each season is approximately 13 weeks.

Here, we can talk about what shows look interesting, what we plan to watch, and generally get giddy and excited for things that we've been anticipating for a while.

---

[SIZE="5"]Recorder to Randoseru[/SIZE]
Manga by Higashiya Meme
Cast: Okiayu Ryotaro, Kugmiya Rie

It's based on a four panel strip about a brother who is freakishly tall and looks like an adult but is in elementary school and a sister who looks like a schoolgirl but is in high school. Tada, comedy.

[SIZE="5"]Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki[/SIZE]
Manga by Tatuki Ruu
Director: Daichi Akitaro (Now and Then, Here and There; Fruits Basket; Bokura ga Ita)

A four-panel strip about the life of a mysterious spherical cat named Poyo.

[SIZE="5"]Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou[/SIZE]
Manga by Yamauchi Yasunobu
Studio: Sunrise, Director: Takabatsu Shinji (Gintama, School Rumble, After War Gundam X), Cast: Irino Miyu, Sugita Tomokazu, Suzumura Kenichi

The title translates to "Everyday Life of High School Boys". Expect all of your favourite slice of life comedy things except with guys. It looks more comedic than Kimi to Boku and with a solid cast and competent director that's done good comedy, it looks promising.

[SIZE="5"]Moretsu Pirates[/SIZE]
Light novel by Matsumoto Noriyuki
Studio: Satelight, Director: Sato Tatsuo (Martian Successor Nadesico, Stellvia, Shigofumi), Cast: Hanazwa Kana, Komatsu Mikako

The English title seems to be Bodacious Space Pirates. It is about a high school girl who is in the space yacht club and works at a (presumably space) café. One day, she ends up inheriting her dead father's space pirate crew and ship.

[SIZE="5"]Inu x Boku SS[/SIZE]
Manga by Fujiwara Cocoa
Studio: David Production, Director: Tsuda Naokatsu (new), Cast: Hidaka Rina, Nakamura Yuuichi

Based on a shounen manga about a girl who feels the need to move out and become independent ends up moving into a special mansion where each person is accompanied by one Secret Service agent. Her agent turns out to be some fox that she rescued.

[SIZE="5"]Brave10[/SIZE]
Manga by Shimotsuki Kairi
Cast: Ono Daisuke, Kakihara Tetsuya

A ninja protects a priestess on her way to see Sanada Yukimura, who is trying to gather ten warriors to get going on his secret plan.
blkmage

Postby blkmage » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:52 pm

[SIZE="5"]Rinne no Lagrange: Flower declaration of your heart[/SIZE]
Original
Studio: XEBEC, Director: Suzuki Toshimasa (Heroic Age, Polyphonica crimson S), Cast: Ishihara Kaori, Kayano Ai, Seto Asami

A girl loves her home town, likes to help people, rides a robot, and fights aliens. Featuring mecha designs by Nissan. Studio is red flags for me, but the director might be okay, depending on which Polyphonica was the bad one.

[SIZE="5"]Another[/SIZE]
Novel by Ayatsuji Yukito
Studio: P.A. Works, Director: Mizushima Tsutomu (Blood-C, xxxHolic, Ookiku Furikabutte), Character Design: Noizi Ito (Shakugan no Shana, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)

Based on a horror novel, as in a real, legit novel and not a light novel. The staff is looking pretty solid for this one.

[SIZE="5"]Ano Natsu de Matteru[/SIZE]
Original

An original anime by the guy who created the Onegai series. The only staff information is who's going to be performing the OP and ED (KOTOKO and yanaginagi, hells yeah).

[SIZE="5"]Baby, Please Kill Me[/SIZE]
Manga by Kadzuho
Studio: J.C. Staff, Director: Yamakawa Yoshiki (Hatsukoi Limited), Cast: Akasaki Chinatsu, Tamura Mutsumi

Based on a four-panel gag manga about a schoolgirl assassin and her dumb kunoichi friend. Expectations are riding low.

[SIZE="5"]High School DxD[/SIZE]
Light novel by Ishibumi Ichiei
Studio: TNK, Director: Yanagisawa Tetsuya (Sora no Otoshimono the Movie, Kannazuki no Miko, Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora), Cast: Hikasa Youko, Kaji Yuuki

An "ordinary yet lecherous" (lol) high school student gets killed by his girlfriend who is actually an angel on a mission bla bla bla and he gets reincarnated as a devil by his senpai and has to fight angels, what. Basically typical convoluted light novel dreck.

[SIZE="5"]Papa no Iu Koto o Kikinasai![/SIZE]
Light novel by Matsu Tomohiro
Studio: Feel, Director: Kawasaki Itsuro (Sengoku Basara, Legend of Legendary Heroes, Chrome Shelled Regios), Cast: Kitamura Eri, Igarashi Hiromi, Uesaka Sumire, Hatano Wataru

The title translates to "Listen to Me, Girls. I am Your Father!". A guy is about to start college when suddenly his sister and her husband go missing so he has to take care of their three daughters. And here we have the other kind of light novel dreck, although the director choice here is kinda eyebrow-raising.

[SIZE="5"]Senhime Zesshou Symphogear[/SIZE]
Original
Studio: Encourage Films, Director: Ito Tatsufumi (Shugo Chara! Party!), Cast: Mizuki Nana, Takayama Minami, Yuuki Aoi, Iguchi Yuka

A popular vocal unit fights against aliens, presumably with the power of song. New studio, new director, what could go wrong? At least it's got some vocal talent going for it.
blkmage

Postby blkmage » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:54 pm

[SIZE="5"]Black★Rock Shooter[/SIZE]
Sequel
Studio: Ordet, Director: Yoshioka Shinobu (Black★Rock Shooter), Music: ryo (supercell), Character Design: huke

Everyone's favourite not-Hatsune Miku based on an illustration by huke is back in another anime in which she is also secretly a high school girl. With Guilty Crown continuing on this season, BRS will be filling up the other noitaminA slot, a decision which has been met with many a raised eyebrow. It'll be handled by largely the same staff as the OVA, minus the supervision of formerly-retired director Yamamoto Yutaka.

[SIZE="5"]Amagami SS+[/SIZE]
Sequel
Studio: AIC, Director: Kobayashi Tomoki (Ichigo 100%, Rozen Maiden, Utawarerumono), Cast: Maeno Tomoaki, Konno Hiromi, Nazuka Kaori, Satou Rina, Shintani Ryoko, Itou Shizuka, Yukana, Asumi Kana

A sequel season to Amagami SS, this will feature original material not from the original visual novel series. Honestly, I have no idea why this exists. Well, actually, I do have an idea, I guess, but it doesn't need to exist. And with one cours, we're talking two episodes for each girl.

[SIZE="5"]Natsume Yuujinchou Shi[/SIZE]
Sequel
Studio: Brains Base, Director: Omori Takahiro (Natsume Yuujinchou, Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou, Natsume Yuujinchou San), Cast: Kamiya Hiroshi, Inoue Kazuhiko

HELLS YEAHHHH

[SIZE="5"]New Prince of Tennis[/SIZE]
Manga by Konomi Takeshi
Studio: MSC

This is based on the manga New Prince of Tennis, which is a sequel to some manga called Prince of Tennis. I'm sure you've heard of it.

[SIZE="5"]Tantei Opera Milky Holmes Second Season[/SIZE]
Sequel
Studio: J.C. Staff

Good thing you'll only care about this if you've seen the first season, because idk what's going on in it.

[SIZE="5"]Zero no Tsukaima F[/SIZE]
Sequel
Studio: J.C. Staff, Director: Iwasaki Yoshiaki (Love Hina, Hayate the Combat Butler!!, Zero no Tsukaima), Cast: Kugimiya Rie, Hino Satoshi, Kawasumi Ayako, Noto Mamiko, Horie Yui

As it was with Shana in Fall, those of you who had enough patience to last through three seasons of BAKA INU will be rewarded with some closure.

[SIZE="5"]Nisemonogatari[/SIZE]
Light novel by Nisio Isin
Studio: SHAFT, Director: Akiyuki Shinbo (Bakemonogatari, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Hidamari Sketch), Cast: Kamiya Hiroshi, Kitamura Eri, Iguchi Yuka

Takes place after the events of Bakemonogatari, this will include the Karen Bee and Tsukihi Phoenix arcs. Surprisingly, it looks like almost all the characters will be getting new character designs, which is kind of strange and I am not sure how I feel about Hitagi with short hair. Will be taking bets on whether we'll see any production disasters.

[SIZE="5"]Aquarion Evol[/SIZE]
Sequel
Studio: 8-Bit, Satelight, Director: Yamamoto Yusuke (Sgt. Frog, B Gata H Kei, Night Wizard)

Kawamori Shoji's back with a sequel to Sousei no Aquarion that takes place 12000 years later. Why? It is a mystery. Maybe we'll get another iconic anison out of it what with Kanno Yoko composing at least the theme song.
blkmage

Postby Neane » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:05 pm

I have High Hopes for: Nisemonogatari and Another.

I still long for the day when Despera will be turned into an anime.
Neane

Postby A_Yellow_Dress » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:14 pm

I'll likely look into Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou and Another. (IT IS BASED ON A REAL NOVEL! therefore I must check it out. XD)

Not thinking too much about January yet though, still lots to do before then! :) (Christmas!)
A_Yellow_Dress

Postby Atria35 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:45 pm

A_Yellow_Dress (post: 1514289) wrote:I'll likely look into Ano Natsu de Matteru and Another. (IT IS BASED ON A REAL NOVEL! therefore I must check it out. XD)

You did catch that it's based on a horror novel, right? :P So is the anime Aoi Bungaku (several novels, actually, different arcs featuring different novels), but that doesn't necessarily mean it's safe to watch.

Since I am okay with it and loved Aoi Bungaku, I will totally be watching it, too.

InuxBoku looks kinda fun, though I'm not normally into shoujo...
Atria35

Postby A_Yellow_Dress » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:06 pm

Atria35 (post: 1514293) wrote:You did catch that it's based on a horror novel, right? :P So is the anime Aoi Bungaku (several novels, actually, different arcs featuring different novels), but that doesn't necessarily mean it's safe to watch.

Since I am okay with it and loved Aoi Bungaku, I will totally be watching it, too.

InuxBoku looks kinda fun, though I'm not normally into shoujo...

I do love quite a few English horror novels, and I am a fan of some Steven King novels too, so hopefully as long as it's not an ecchi kind of show.... I'll of course decide more when more info is revealed but... :)

Of course, it is easier to read horror than watch it a lot of the time! O.O I'm just hoping that it's more of a physiological horror than a gorefest.

(*Makes a mental note about Aoi Bungaku.*)
A_Yellow_Dress

Postby Atria35 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:40 pm

A_Yellow_Dress (post: 1514302) wrote:I do love quite a few English horror novels, and I am a fan of some Steven King novels too, so hopefully as long as it's not an ecchi kind of show.... I'll of course decide more when more info is revealed but... :)

Of course, it is easier to read horror than watch it a lot of the time! O.O I'm just hoping that it's more of a physiological horror than a gorefest.

(*Makes a mental note about Aoi Bungaku.*)

:thumb: I will have to PM you about those horror novels. And thankfully, I can say that Aoi Bungaku isn't really ecchi, it's all about the psychological.
Atria35

Postby Lynna » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:03 pm

While some definaiitly look interesting, I'nm not sure how many I'll end up watching...
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby MasterDias » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:36 pm

Moretsu Pirates
Original
Studio: Satelight, Director: Sato Tatsuo (Martian Successor Nadesico, Stellvia, Shigofumi), Cast: Hanazwa Kana, Komatsu Mikako

The English title seems to be Bodacious Space Pirates. It is about a high school girl who is in the space yacht club and works at a (presumably space) café. One day, she ends up inheriting her dead father's space pirate crew and ship.

This is the series that was announced all the way back in 2009 to be animated in 2011...and then got delayed.
Inu x Boku SS
Manga by Fujiwara Cocoa
Studio: David Production, Director: Tsuda Naokatsu (new), Cast: Hidaka Rina, Nakamura Yuuichi

Based on a shoujo manga about a girl who feels the need to move out and become independent ends up moving into a special mansion where each person is accompanied by one Secret Service agent. Her agent turns out to be some fox that she rescued.

It's shounen actually. It runs in Gangan Joker.

Anyway, I'll check out all of the action/scifi/mecha series: Moretsu Pirates, Rinne no Lagrange, Aquarion Evol, Senhime Zesshou Symphogear, Black★Rock Shooter. Not a huge fan of horror, but I'll probably watch at least one episode of Another.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:02 pm

The only thing that jumps out so far is Aquarion EVOL. Kawamori can do good stuff as long as he's not directing.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:16 pm

MasterDias (post: 1514348) wrote:It's shounen actually. It runs in Gangan Joker.

Ah yes, you're right. Must've looked up a bad source.

Honestly, I'd be down just for a new Natsume and Nisemonogatari. Nisemonogatari is going to be the show of the season for me.

I'll probably be checking out Another, that high school boys show, and taking a look at all the scifi stuff too.
blkmage

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:47 pm

Another looks promising
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby ABlipinTime » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:14 am

Image of "Another" reminds me of ef - A Tale of Memories. Description from ANN makes me think it's going to be a murder mystery. I suppose that be better than watching High School DxD.
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby MightiMidget » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:46 pm

I'll be watching (at least trying):

Another
Prince of Tennis
Black Rock Shooter

and possibly pick up something else depending on how easy to access things are. At least the lack of interesting will give me time to get caught up on other shows...
MightiMidget

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:50 pm

Any idea about notiaminA shows yet?
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:59 pm

Black Rock Shooter and Guilty Crown, you know, typical thoughtful noitaminA stuff.
blkmage

Postby Neane » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:04 pm

Neane

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:18 pm

[SIZE="5"]Rinne no Lagrange: Flower declaration of your heart[/SIZE]
Yeah, I guess I'll at least stick with this for a couple episodes.

[SIZE="5"]Another[/SIZE]
This looks like it could be awesome.

[SIZE="5"]Senhime Zesshou Symphogear[/SIZE]
the power of song.
I actually will give this a shot just because I am desperate for more Macross after seeing those Frontier movies even though this will probably suck.

[SIZE="5"]Black★Rock Shooter[/SIZE]
blkmage (post: 1514282) wrote:noitaminA

[SIZE="5"]Natsume Yuujinchou Shi[/SIZE]

HELLS YEAHHHH

[SIZE="5"]Nisemonogatari[/SIZE]

HELLS YEAHHHH
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:20 pm

blkmage (post: 1514468) wrote:Black Rock Shooter and Guilty Crown, you know, typical thoughtful noitaminA stuff.
Oh yeah, GC. Didn't know BRS was noitaminA. Thanks.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:43 pm

The only one I'm sure I want to watch is Natsume. I'll also try to check out Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou and Moretsu Pirates (at least once, it looks funky). Possibly Another. Other than that, I'll keep an ear out for what folks say about stuff.

I'm probably taking on more than I can keep up with. >.>

Also, only one Brain's Base show?
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:44 pm

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1514483) wrote:Also, only one Brain's Base show?
This last year was actually kind of an anomaly for Brain's Base. Prior to 2011 they typically had 2-3 shows a year.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby MasterDias » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:08 pm

The most baffling thing about the Black★Rock Shooter anime is that it's only going to be 8 episodes long. What's up with that? I hope that means they have it all planned out for 8 episodes specifically...and not that they don't have enough money to animate a couple more episodes.

Also, I didn't catch this before when I quoted it but Moretsu Pirates isn't original. It's based on a series of light novels by Yuichi Sasamoto who apparently won several Seiun Awards for previous scifi books.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby blkmage » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:13 pm

Thanks, I have no idea why I was under the impression that it was original.

And yeah, eight episodes is kinda lol, especially since noitaminA shows are already usually shorter than usual at eleven.
blkmage

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:02 pm

Pretty much all of this looks "LOLWUT" to me, especially 12000 years in the future Aquarion sequel what is this I don't even
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:56 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1514521) wrote:Pretty much all of this looks "LOLWUT" to me, especially 12000 years in the future Aquarion sequel what is this I don't even
In the original series, the main characters are reincarnations of people that existed 12,000 years ago, so that number is significant to Kawamori for some reason. But yeah, in all likelihood the mains from EVOL will be reincarnations of the mains from the original.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:08 pm

ichimannen to nisennen mae kara A・I・SHI・TE・RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
blkmage

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:09 pm

PIRATES IN SPACE sounds kind of fun but I am pretty skeptical of anything that's adapted from a light novel.

Also, I like the English acapella choral version of the Aquarion song a lot better than the version they use for the opening.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:53 pm

blkmage (post: 1514282) wrote:[SIZE="5"][B]Black★][/SIZE]
blkmage (post: 1514282) wrote:Sequel
blkmage (post: 1514282) wrote:Everyone's favourite not-Hatsune Miku based on an illustration by huke is back
blkmage (post: 1514282) wrote:noitaminA
Shoot me.
Fish and Chips

Postby Falx » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:36 am

Only thing I'm definitely watching is Nisemonogatari. I'll give Another the three episode test and BRS... maybe, if I fell like it. Everything else just looks meh.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews