[Winter 2012] anime of the linux desktop

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Falx » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:43 am

"Hmmm Gintama has a new OP, oh right, before I go to bed I should check out Another's OP at least as well I wonder if it's any goo- *ALI Project*"

WHY YOU DO THIS!? Ugh.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby Neane » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:45 am

I just saw the First Episode of Another.
Neane

Postby Agloval » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:03 pm

Aquarion Evol's first ep was sort of interesting. I don't know how much help having seen the previous series (set a mere 12 millennia before Evol...) would have been. It had nice music. I'm kind of torn on the mecha, not all the CG work was convinced me that it had weight (unlike Lagrange, which I think did weighty models quite well) but when it did convince me it did look very nice.
'That blast is blown for me, for I am the prize, and yet am I not dead.'
Agloval

Postby Atria35 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:12 pm

Another 1- Thoughts in that thread

Moretsu Pirates 1- Okay, I was expecting something a lot more.... fanservice-y than this. I am so thrilled it wasn't at all, and so far, really surprises me with how fun it is! Here's hoping it keeps it up!
Atria35

Postby blkmage » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:15 pm

I just got finished watching the first Aquarion and I'm not entirely sure what to think of it. It has some neat ideas and themes going for it, but it does not make it very easy to figure out whether it's intentionally or unintentionally stupid. Much like Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, the main reason I watched it was because I've heard Sousei no Aquarion and GO TIGHT way too much to not watch the show they're from.

I expect to be similarly baffled by EVOL.
blkmage

Postby MasterDias » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:04 pm

Rinne no Lagrange was competent. The energetic main character is fun and likable. Otherwise, there isn't much to say as it felt mostly like a standard setup episode.

With its epic action and good soundtrack, I was decently impressed by Aquarion EVOL. Between all the srs bzns dialogue about purity/chastity and the orgasmic combination scenes, I'm not sure how seriously I'm supposed to take certain aspects of it though. It felt pretty silly at points, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Almost made me lol a couple times... I haven't seen the first series, although I suspect at least the bit at the beginning would have made more sense if I had.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby blkmage » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:37 am

Another struck the right tone and atmosphere, which was only broken when Ali Project suddenly showed up.

Aquarion Evol was more hilarious than I expected, whether it was intended or not. I think that is a question we will be wrestling with throughout the entire show. Based on just this episode alone, I don't think there was any prerequisite knowledge from the first Aquarion, except for maybe the joke about the awesome opening song.

Ano Natsu de Matteru has the staff for something good. Not sure where it's going except that it's apparently more Onegai than I'd expected.

Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou is my comedy for the season.
blkmage

Postby blkmage » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:34 pm

Thermae Romae is the first low budget flash anime that is actually decent. It also has an AWESOME ED by Chatmonchy, who are awesome.

Inu x Boku SS had kind of a boring opening episode. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it being a shounen manga with shoujo character designs.
blkmage

Postby Neane » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:33 pm

Thermae Romae needs more episodes.

Neane

Postby Falx » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:12 am

Hmmm Sympogear's second episode isn't nearly as interesting as the first... and the fanservice is getting a bit much. Thinking I'm giving it one more episode to prove itself to me.

Kill Me Baby is... I honestly don't know why I like it, it's not laugh out loud funny like Gintama, but I think I'll keep watching it. Yasuna reminds me alot of Yui from K-On, especially her voice sometimes.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Falx

Postby blkmage » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:05 pm

Yeah, Symphogear was disappointing this week after ending up doing nothing with the shot they left off with last week and going in a much more standard direction.

Moretsu Pirates, on the other hand, was neat. It looks like they've got this sci-fi stuff down.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:40 pm

Thirding the disappointment of this week's Sympohgear. It didn't make me want to drop the show or anything, but it did feel like it wasted the momentum it built up. Maybe the mains will fight for reals? That's be kinda cool...

And...she wasn't an insane beast? What gives?

Also, I think I'm gonna dig Moretsu Pirates. It's nice to see that there are two Satou shows going this season (Pirates y Lagrange). I loved Nadesico to pieces, but I haven't seen anything of his since Stellvia was airing eight years ago.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Neko-Hime » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:08 am

Joy, Inu x Boku SS is on Crunchyroll! Now I just need to wait 5 days till I can watch it without a subscription |D
Are they suuure that's a shonen? I mean... it's pretty sparkly. I guess X did sort of the same thing and got away with it, but still. Sparkles. xD
Neko-Hime

Postby LadyRushia » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:02 pm

Moretsu Pirates: slightly predictable, but I like Chiaki/Homura 2.0. Pirate ladies in space is a pretty winning combination for me, though.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby MasterDias » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:31 pm

Agreed about Symphogear.

Moretsu Pirates could potentially be my seasonal favorite. I've seen accusations that it's too slow-paced, but I'm actually really appreciating that it's taking time to set up the characters and its world (and well, Aquarion, Symphogear, and Lagrange probably fulfill the quota for action-focused sci-fi this season anyway). It clearly has a good handle on what it wants to do, so far at least. Still not sure I like that OP though.

Inu x Boku SS was pretty decent. I like the fact that the main character is essentially a self-aware tsundere, and that one of the characters is actually [spoiler]a giant skeleton.[/spoiler]

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:09 pm

Adding my agreement that Moretsu Pirates is a very pleasant surprise and is pretty great. I think Nisemonogatari is my favorite, but this could maybe edge out Natsume if it becomes as glorious as it can.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Neane » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:36 pm

Still enjoying Rinne no Lagrange.
Neane

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:25 pm

Neane (post: 1527494) wrote:Still enjoying Rinne no Lagrange.
Ditto. It also has strong contenders for OP and ED songs of the season.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:47 am

The OP is great, but the entire time I'm just expecting her to be like OPEN RANKA or KIRA.

Area no Kishi was alright, but I've got too many other shows at the moment and I'll probably just check out the manga instead.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:41 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1527560) wrote:The OP is great, but the entire time I'm just expecting her to be like OPEN RANKA or KIRA.
Isn't that one of the points in its favor?
Area no Kishi was alright, but I've got too many other shows at the moment and I'll probably just check out the manga instead.
I know you only have so much time, but these kinds of shows take some episodes to get their claws in you.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Atria35 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:44 pm

Thermae Romae needs more love. It's utterly hilarious. I'm also still digging Moretsu Pirates.
Atria35

Postby blkmage » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:34 pm

The Aquarion EVOL OP sounds more Macross F than Aquarion.

also orz
blkmage

Postby blkmage » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:08 pm

Oh yeah, Guilty Crown was back last week but I wanted an excuse to post this.

blkmage

Postby MasterDias » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:50 pm

What's Guilty Crown's last half going to be about anyway? They resolved almost everything last episode.

MasterDias

Postby blkmage » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:02 pm

idk, but the episode preview looked like a school festival, sooooo
blkmage

Postby Falx » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:00 pm

I decided to drop Guilty Crown, I realized the high score I gave it was based only on the first three episodes... and the rest of the series so far consistently failed to meet those high expectations again and the reason I hadn't watched it in three weeks was because I no longer wanted to.

Falx

Postby Neko-Hime » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:48 pm

Inu x Boku SS was seriously appealing to a few moe (heterochromia, critter ears) but... clearly that was its goal. There was an awful lot of fanservice. :/ It has promise if they get rid of... that. xD
Neko-Hime

Postby blkmage » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:21 am

Okay, Guilty Clown talk. I like the new OP, not quite as sure about the new ED. For the most part, even though it was a school festival episode, I liked it more than the last few episodes.

I think I can see where the rest of the show is going (with a few guesses based on the OP). I don't know if good is salvageable, but it could be decent enough to stick around for. It does make the first half seem like an introduction that's gone on for a bit too long.

Yes, I am still trying to think about this show. Yes, it is probably silly of me to keep on doing so.
blkmage

Postby MasterDias » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:19 pm

I like the new OP too. I was iffy on whether they really had enough material left to justify another season, but...ok... this could work. [spoiler]The fact that the characters can apparently use their own voids now is a potentially interesting new dynamic.[/spoiler]

MasterDias

Postby Falx » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:26 am

Mouretsu Pirates is surprising me with how slow paced it is, but that doesn't feel like a bad thing. Normal people don't normally make huge decisions for their life in only a shot period of time and the characters feel more realistic for that.

Also Lagrange 03: Madoka is the worst at keeping a secret identity.

Falx

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews