Full Metal Alchemist?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Full Metal Alchemist?

Postby Mike123123 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:26 pm

so.. my friends and even a few of my relatives have come across this anime "Full Metal Alchemist" and they said its really good so i watched a bit of the first episode... and i am starting to doubt if i should watch it..

do you guys have any suggestions? have you watched it before? it would be a bit better if i got answers from someone who has watched the series before.
Mike123123

Postby Atria35 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:34 pm

Wel, what were you having concerns about? The religious aspect? If that's the case, I actually recommend watching the remake FMA: Brotherhood- Ed and Al had some very traumatic experiences that make them not believers. This is resolved in Brotherhood and the manga- there is a God, and He isn't cruel or mean.

The violence? It's an action series, generally considered for ages 15+. This does mean some violence.

Actually, here's the review for Brotherhood.
http://www.christiananime.net/caareviews.php?pageid=ShowReview&id=192

Is there anything that needs to be addressed that isn't in the review?
Atria35

Postby Mike123123 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:38 pm

yeah, it was the religious aspect. thanks for the advice!
Mike123123

Postby Lynna » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:51 pm

I have watched it!
FullMetal Alchmist is good, though the second version FullMetal alchemist:brotherhood is a lot better(It follows the manga)
I think it would help to know why you didn't like it, but I'll say everything I can.
So, the first few episodes will definaitly give you the feeling that FMA is anti-religious. It's not, trust me. Although the main character professes himself to be an athiest, he's a lot more of an agnostic, and although he says he doesn't beleive there's a God, that is not the message of the series itself(Brotherhood was sometimes wavering into Pantheism but I digress, thst's not the main point of the anime) I would also like to say that there is a certain very religious group in this series that were treated very poorly by the egoistical scientists of Armestris(If you ever watch brotherhood, you'll learn their country does in fact have a name XD) and the anime in no way condones that.

If you have a problem with violence, I would suggest that you don't watch it. There is a fair amount of blood, sometimes quite in excess

There is VERY little sexual content in either versions of FMA, so if that's what you're worried about it wont be a problem

Some people who watch this series are worried about it being occult. Alchemy isn't supposed to be occultic, but scientific. It is the way their universe works. Although Ed and Al did try bringing their mother back to life, they failed miserable and have paid for it many, many times over. They are trying to re-gain their lost limbs and body parts, but in my opinion that's something very different.

Now I think I'll talk about the good stuff ^_^
The first anime (FullMetal Alchemist) is somewhat darker than the second anime, and it's plot is far less elaborate, but it does have it's awesome moments. It's characters are deep and complex, and there's a lot of action.

I can talk about the second anime and manga better XD Brotherhood is one of my favorite animes ever. The characters were varied, complex, and completely lovable. The villains are not just there to scare the main characters, and you will feel pity and horror for them. The relationships between characters are dynamic and interesting
The Plot is amazing. It was full of twists and turns, and the forshadowing began on the very first episode. There is a lot of symbolism and depth.
Both FMAs will certainly make you both laugh your head off and cry a tear or two. I highly reccomend them.
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:52 pm

It really good, there is a common theme of Ed questioning if there's a God, but personally I find nothing wrong with it.
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Mike123123 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:57 pm

ive come back after watching a little more and yeah it is sorta, not very much dark, but what i was worried about were the symbols they were using/drawing
Mike123123

Postby Atria35 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:01 pm

Mike123123 (post: 1512607) wrote:ive come back after watching a little more and yeah it is sorta, not very much dark, but what i was worried about were the symbols they were using/drawing

Some are entirely made up. A few are old symbols that real life alchemists (the ones that were just scientists messing around with ways to turn metals into gold, kind of like our modern day chemists) used to represent different things like lead or glass or fire.

Most are entirely made up, though.
Atria35

Postby theladyeri » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:31 pm

The religious aspect concerned me in the first episode, but that's pretty much the worst it gets in terms of religious content. Edward and Al's disbelief in God gets them ABSOLUTLY nowhere, and so it's pretty much a moral lesson on not putting all your faith in science and explanable theories.

the violence is never tasteless, but it can be pretty intense. 15 and up.

Atria35 (post: 1512609) wrote:Some are entirely made up. A few are old symbols that real life alchemists (the ones that were just scientists messing around with ways to turn metals into gold, kind of like our modern day chemists) used to represent different things like lead or glass or fire.

Most are entirely made up, though.

there is also no mention of the occult, though I do agree, the symbols do look like fantasy witch signs and such. There is no praying to the devil or Satanist content in the show.
[font="Arial Black"]A moment of thought bests a year of mindless talk.[/font]
theladyeri

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews