Don't you hate it when an anime...

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Don't you hate it when an anime...

Postby theladyeri » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:34 pm

Don't you hate when an anime...

...starts out wonderful, has you hooked, then becomes horrible?
...has lots of innuendoes about things and no real facts?
...has a great storyline and characters, but just enough flaws to make it unwatchable?
...is directed at an audience that is confusing to define (ie, a magical girl series meant for men :O

I'm only complaining because that first thing on the list has happened to me a great deal, and it is so annoying! i love anime, but honestly.

in the end, the main reason I signed up to caa was to be able to post in the review section, and the site says i can't yet! how annoying!

so does anybody have any anime reccomendations for me? I'm looking for a clean shojo at the moment (I have nothing but shonens on my "to watch" list.
[font="Arial Black"]A moment of thought bests a year of mindless talk.[/font]
theladyeri

Postby goldenspines » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:41 pm

Moved to Anime. Please make sure you are putting a thread in the right forum before you post it.

You need a certain number of posts to post in the reviews section. Please be patient and participate in the forum constructively. If you have questions about a series, please feel free to ask!

Also, you can ask for anime recommendations here: http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=40642
goldenspines

Postby Nate » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:51 pm

Yes I remember well my disappointment with the Wild Arms anime. It started out promising enough, and every episode I would think "SURELY it will start to get really good soon!"

And then it never did and I watched the final episode and was just disappointed that I wasted all that time watching it when it was so bad.

Bleach was kind of the same way but a bit more of a letdown because the first arc is actually genuinely good. It's not perfect, but it's interesting and has lots of cool characters. And then...all that goes down the toilet.

Star Ocean EX was disappointing only in that it ended on a cliffhanger because a second season never got made.
a magical girl series meant for men

Don't you be dissin' Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha. I might have to challenge you to a duel.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Dragon » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:27 am

Yes digimon has become like that and yugioh
Dragon

Postby Atria35 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:24 am

Those first few things define Asura Cryin'. I sincerely could not finish the second season because I was fed up with all those shennanigans.

theladyeri (post: 1510796) wrote:...is directed at an audience that is confusing to define (ie, a magical girl series meant for men :O

Nope. I like things that defy traditional thought and expectations. Partly because I highly enjoy things that are supposed to be for other demographics.
Atria35

Postby Yamamaya » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:46 am

That's how I feel about Chrome Shelled Regios. It started off relatively interesting, but the characters never developed at all. The main character was a boring invicible hero. The storyline was lazy, underdeveloped, and confusing. The only thing great about it were the monsters, who looked nice.

Atria35 (post: 1510860) wrote:Nope. I like things that defy traditional thought and expectations. Partly because I highly enjoy things that are supposed to be for other demographics.

This. I truly appreciate shows that break out of their own demographics and can be enjoyed by many different people.
Yamamaya

Postby Hiryu » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:10 pm

I felt this way about K-ON!!, in which they sacrificed plot advancement for lazy moe moments.
Hiryu

Postby AngelicTotoro » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:24 pm

Have you watched Itazura na Kiss? It's a really good one, with none of those problems.
[spoiler]There are some insinuations of sex between the main character and her love interest, (however they are married and on their honeymoon.) nothing is shown though, and it's tastefully done so that it can be considered almost pg in rating.) There's also a gay character, but I thought it was a she like the entire show and didn't figure out it was a guy until the end. (nothing happens between said character and anybody.)[/spoiler]

I highly recommend it. :jump:

Also Kimi ni Todoke is supposed to be excellent. (I haven't seen it yet.)
And it's also clean from what i hear.

I also think that Lovely Complex and Hanasakeru Seishonen are worthy of being considered a good shojo. (LCom is more comedy and HS is more dramatic and politics, with a reverse harem. The Heroine in it does choose the best guy in the end. (imo) Both are great.)

Hope this helps answer your question. :grin:
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Postby theladyeri » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:34 pm

Nate (post: 1510804) wrote:Yes I remember well my disappointment with the Wild Arms anime. It started out promising enough, and every episode I would think "SURELY it will start to get really good soon!"

And then it never did and I watched the final episode and was just disappointed that I wasted all that time watching it when it was so bad.

Bleach was kind of the same way but a bit more of a letdown because the first arc is actually genuinely good. It's not perfect, but it's interesting and has lots of cool characters. And then...all that goes down the toilet.

Star Ocean EX was disappointing only in that it ended on a cliffhanger because a second season never got made.

Don't you be dissin' Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha. I might have to challenge you to a duel.

I wasn't dissing it :) I've heard that a lot of people like that one. No, I'm talking about shows that seem all sweet and cute, and then get totally perverted. or shows that seem perverted from the start.
btw, do girls watch them? I mean is it wierd? (i know girls watch shonen, but shows like Air and puella magika madoka are'nt shonen, they are a seinen sub culture.) because i am a girl and i want to know if it's strange to watch these shows. (I don't at the moment, but clannad has been recomended alot)
theladyeri

Postby Atria35 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:26 am

theladyeri (post: 1511467) wrote:I wasn't dissing it :) I've heard that a lot of people like that one. No, I'm talking about shows that seem all sweet and cute, and then get totally perverted. or shows that seem perverted from the start.
btw, do girls watch them? I mean is it wierd? (i know girls watch shonen, but shows like Air and puella magika madoka are'nt shonen, they are a seinen sub culture.) because i am a girl and i want to know if it's strange to watch these shows. (I don't at the moment, but clannad has been recomended alot)

No, it's not wierd. You like what you like, and if you happen to like a good romance, then it being labeled as for one demographic shouldn't stop you. A good romance is a good romance (or heck, a good show is a good show), no matter who they assume is going to be mainly interested in it.

A lot of stereotyping plays into anime made for demographics- for instance, the vast majority of shoujo involves romance which is mostly a love triangle. Are all girls into that sort of thing? No. Shounen usually involves a lot of repetitive fighting to get stronger. Are all boys going to be into that? No.

And then there's also the fact that some things that are labeled for one demographic can have a lot of crossover appeal or even would never be considered that demographic in America- for instance, the anime Chii's Sweet Home is also considered seinen. It's about a small cat that wanders around doing cute things. It's considered seinen simply because it ran in a magazine for men in Japan. Over here, it's clearly a children's show and whatever magazine it ran in doesn't matter one whit.

So never avoid a show because you think it's only for one gender or age group. You're going to miss a lot of good shows that way.
Atria35

Postby Juliannesan » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:53 am

Yeah, its true. I was iffy at first at watching Clannad because of its demographic label. But I soon realized you can judge a show by it's stereotype. Unless, as in my case it's labeled horror or I read the contents of the show and I decide to stay away from it.

I'm more anti-gore(lots of blood/violence) and ecchi more than any other genre.

But as others said, go to the anime recommendation thread, it'll help you out tons. :)
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:35 pm

theladyeri (post: 1511467) wrote:btw, do girls watch them? I mean is it wierd? (i know girls watch shonen, but shows like Air and puella magika madoka are'nt shonen, they are a seinen sub culture.) because i am a girl and i want to know if it's strange to watch these shows. (I don't at the moment, but clannad has been recomended alot)

Basically what Atria said. If you're interested or curious about a show, check it out, regardless of intended audience. (Unless your parents don't want you watching certain things, of course.)

BTW, I'm a girl and I'm enjoying Madoka. I've only seen half of it, but there hasn't been anything that made me think "Oh dang, this is so obviously for guys, I can't enjoy this". It's good.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:47 am

theladyeri (post: 1510796) wrote:Don't you hate when an anime...

...starts out wonderful, has you hooked, then becomes horrible?

Ugh, the endings are often what kill any enjoyment in an anime for me. The ending can make or break a story of any kind. Here's a list of all the anime I've seen that I thought had satisfactory (not necessarily happily-ever-after) endings, in case you want to check them out further:

Series
Baccano!
Ergo Proxy (this one is borderline, mainly because I barely understood it XD)
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo (it ends differently than the book, and I thought it ended better, but others might prefer the book)
Haibane Renmei
Kaitou Saint Tail
Lovely Complex
Monster
Trigun

Movies
Castle in the Sky
Grave of the Fireflies
Howl's Moving Castle
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade
Kiki's Delivery Service
My Neighbor Totoro
Spirited Away
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby theladyeri » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:13 pm

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1511817) wrote:Ugh, the endings are often what kill any enjoyment in an anime for me. The ending can make or break a story of any kind. Here's a list of all the anime I've seen that I thought had satisfactory (not necessarily happily-ever-after) endings, in case you want to check them out further:

Series
Baccano!
Ergo Proxy (this one is borderline, mainly because I barely understood it XD)
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo (it ends differently than the book, and I thought it ended better, but others might prefer the book)
Haibane Renmei
Kaitou Saint Tail
Lovely Complex
Monster
Trigun

Movies
Castle in the Sky
Grave of the Fireflies
Howl's Moving Castle
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade
Kiki's Delivery Service
My Neighbor Totoro
Spirited Away

of course the hiyao myuzaki films. I LOVE THEM!!!
and I loved saint tale and FMA 1st season as well.
I havent finshed Trigun yet, but I loved what I saw!
theladyeri

Postby theladyeri » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:15 pm

Thanks for all the info and help!!! If anyone wants an anime reccomendation back, I'd love to oblige!
theladyeri

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews