Darker Than Black

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Darker Than Black

Postby alecho » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:41 pm

Just finished watching (and reading) Darker Than Black. I thought it was an awesome anime and started a thread to share da love! ;)

Any Darker Than Black fans out there?

Darker Than Black series in chronological order
1) Darker Than Black - The Black Contractor (anime)
2) Darker Than Black - Shikoku the Hana (manga)
3) Darker Than Black Gaiden (anime)
4) Darker Than Black - Gemini of the Meteor (anime)

Many favorite characters include: November 11 and July.
AMERICAN OTAKU - a webcomic about our American GEEK culture.

ABSTRACT BEING - a never ending comic that started from a piece of Booger.

CHOEBROTHERS - my personal blog
alecho

Postby MightiMidget » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:20 pm

Reading? I wasn't sure I could quite handle a shoujo-ed Hei, so I haven't read one of the manga...though I started the flower one. ...I don't remember the name. xD Ack! Shikkoku no Hana? But haven't finished it. The content annoys me a smidgen.

Darker Than Black was one of the first anime I ever saw and it hit the nail on the head for my favorite genre (sci-fi) and general story vibe. Much DtB love!
MightiMidget

Postby Agloval » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:31 am

I thought the second series was a bit of a mess, but I enjoyed (and, unusually, legally own!) the first. I liked its slightly noirish feel and its willingness to leave things unexplained. And I thought it took itself seriously enough but not too seriously.

I've never looked into the OVAs or the supplementary manga, though.
'That blast is blown for me, for I am the prize, and yet am I not dead.'
Agloval

Postby Smileloviene » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:55 pm

Agloval (post: 1509156) wrote:I thought the second series was a bit of a mess, but I enjoyed (and, unusually, legally own!) the first. I liked its slightly noirish feel and its willingness to leave things unexplained. And I thought it took itself seriously enough but not too seriously.

Yeah, I'll admit... the second series wasn't QUITE as good as the first... but I still loved just 'cause I adore this show so much ]Who's you're favorite character?[/U] Mine's prolly Yin, but I also really loved Carmine/Havoc (whichever of her names you prefer) from the first season and, of course, Hei :thumb:
Also, what was your favorite "compensation" (is that the correct term?) that the contractor's had to do? Personally, I liked the guy that had to eat boiled eggs :lol: that's the one I'd want to have, anyway
Just one more... Did you think of Hei and the Policewoman girl as a couple at all? I tried not to think romantically while watching it, cause that's pretty much not what it was about, but I couldn't help but think they COULD have been one. (Then again, I'm a much bigger fan of Yin and Hei :P)

Okay, I'll force myself to stop. I'm just curious of what other people thought of this anime, since I've never found fellow fans of it before ;)
[font="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][color="DarkOrchid"]The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places. ~ Habakkuk 3:19[/color][/SIZE][/font][PHP][/PHP]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Yellow"]@)[/color][color="Lime"]}~`,~[/color][color="Cyan"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Carry This Rose In Your Signature, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/font][/color]
Smileloviene

Postby Agloval » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:37 am

Smileloviene (post: 1509335) wrote:Who's your favorite character?
Hei, I suppose. Inasmuch as I have a favourite.

Smileloviene (post: 1509335) wrote:Also, what was your favorite "compensation" (is that the correct term?) that the contractor's had to do?
Probably Amber's -- not because that I'd want to have it myself(!) but because it's a bit mind-bending, and works well within the story.
Agloval

Postby MightiMidget » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:17 am

Hei is definitely my favorite character, but that sounds like a given. :lol: So...November 11 and Yin are runner-ups!

Just one more... Did you think of Hei and the Policewoman girl as a couple at all? I tried not to think romantically while watching it, cause that's pretty much not what it was about, but I couldn't help but think they COULD have been one. (Then again, I'm a much bigger fan of Yin and Hei )

IF I were ever to pair Hei with anyone (which I was perfectly content with never happening, since pairings often ruin shows), it would be Kirihara, the policewoman. Him with Yin was kind of weird to me because I always pictured their relationship to be more brother/sister type of love than romantic.
MightiMidget

Postby Smileloviene » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:54 pm

Agloval (post: 1509400) wrote:Probably Amber's -- not because that I'd want to have it myself(!) but because it's a bit mind-bending, and works well within the story.

Yeah, it tied in really well :) Funny how I hated her so much when I first saw her and was totally adoring her character by the end of the first season

MightiMidget (post: 1509435) wrote:IF I were ever to pair Hei with anyone (which I was perfectly content with never happening, since pairings often ruin shows), it would be Kirihara, the policewoman. Him with Yin was kind of weird to me because I always pictured their relationship to be more brother/sister type of love than romantic.

Hm... if I had just watched the first season, I might say that, even maybe with the second season attached ('cause she totally like him, and I thought they worked pretty well together),,, but the movies made me a complete Yin/Hei fan, even though I'd kinda been one already. I might be able to see where the brother/sister relationship is coming from though... :eyebrow: I guess I'd just never considered that... haha, I'm narrow minded ;)
[font="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][color="DarkOrchid"]The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places. ~ Habakkuk 3:19[/color][/SIZE][/font][PHP][/PHP]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Yellow"]@)[/color][color="Lime"]}~`,~[/color][color="Cyan"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Carry This Rose In Your Signature, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/font][/color]
Smileloviene

Postby alecho » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:40 pm

Yay! It seems like there is more November 11 fans out there!!! :)

Also, what was your favorite "compensation" (is that the correct term?) that the contractor's had to do?

I liked the folding the end of every pages of a book. I forgot what the guy's name was... I believe he came out in the 2nd or 3rd episode of the first series. I thought it was just interesting and so RANDOM.

I thought the second series was a bit of a mess, but I enjoyed (and, unusually, legally own!) the first. I liked its slightly noirish feel and its willingness to leave things unexplained. And I thought it took itself seriously enough but not too seriously.

Yeah, I agree. Second season was definitely weaker than the first. But I felt that it got better near the end of the series. Also, the other main character Suwon did not appeal too much to me... I don't know... just didn't have much of a character for me. Good series, but glad it ended short.

Here's a random question. If you were a contractor, what kind of "compensation" do you think you'll acquire?

I'm guessing mine will be flossing my teeth for 10 minutes straight. I'm not a big fan of flossing... and "compensations" have some tie to the individual's character, like what they don't like to do (i.e. November 11's smoking when he does not like to)

alecho

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:55 pm

I saw both main seasons and thought they were a pretty decent mix of action and plot, though it hasn't aged terribly well. I still don't mind that I own the first single disc of the first season, and it's not a terrible series to rewatch when you need to see someone electrocuted to death or whatever, but I don't feel a huge need to buy the rest of the show.

That said, July is boss.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Agloval » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:31 pm

alecho (post: 1510157) wrote:Here's a random question. If you were a contractor, what kind of "compensation" do you think you'll acquire?
Probably having to make inefficient and wasteful shopping trips.
Agloval

Postby alecho » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:59 pm

That said, July is boss.

Hahaha yeah! Another July fan! Yeah, he is definitely the Boss! I really like the link you posted, I really liked that scene, it showed July's character.

Probably having to make inefficient and wasteful shopping trips.

Hahahaha, that is totally random and awesome. Where do you think you'll go? :)

alecho

Postby MightiMidget » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:25 pm

alecho (post: 1510157) wrote: and "compensations" have some tie to the individual's character, like what they don't like to do (i.e. November 11's smoking when he does not like to)

Bwuaha. I challenge this point! :lol:

If compensations are strictly linked to things the contractors don't like to do, then why did April tell November to "speak for himself" when he comments about how they smoke what they hate to smoke, drink what they hate to drink? Because she loves her price. :P
MightiMidget

Postby Smileloviene » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:32 am

alecho (post: 1510157) wrote:I liked the folding the end of every pages of a book. I forgot what the guy's name was... I believe he came out in the 2nd or 3rd episode of the first series. I thought it was just interesting and so RANDOM.

Lol, so true. I liked that one and the guys that had to lay pebbles in a row.

alecho (post: 1510157) wrote:Here's a random question. If you were a contractor, what kind of "compensation" do you think you'll acquire?

Were it something I hated to do, I would prolly have to wash dishes. :shady: Or maybe paint my fingernails? :eyebrow: Or eat onions. Nasty.

MightiMidget (post: 1510301) wrote:Bwuaha. I challenge this point! :lol:

If compensations are strictly linked to things the contractors don't like to do, then why did April tell November to "speak for himself" when he comments about how they smoke what they hate to smoke, drink what they hate to drink? Because she loves her price. :P

Yeah, that's a good point. I think it all just depends on the contractor.

Oh, another question. I found out the other day that WWI ended on November 11th. :eyebrow: Connection?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Smileloviene

Postby Agloval » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:44 pm

Smileloviene (post: 1511502) wrote:I found out the other day that WWI ended on November 11th. :eyebrow: Connection?

Because WW1 ended on that day, in the UK and I think much of the rest of the Commonwealth November 11 is the day we remember war dead: it's called Remembrance Day.
Agloval

Postby Smileloviene » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:12 am

Agloval (post: 1511528) wrote:Because WW1 ended on that day, in the UK and I think much of the rest of the Commonwealth November 11 is the day we remember war dead: it's called Remembrance Day.

Whoa... I think this makes the character that much cooler ;) But that is kind of neat that they tied something like that in there (intentionally i guess?)

Hmm... who thinks there should be a third season?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Smileloviene

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews