Fate/Zero: "—If I can, I'd prefer nobody to be sad."

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Wallachia » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:48 pm

I'm not even going to bother saying, "This week's episode was great." anymore. Just assume I did.

I thought I read all of volume 2, but I'm thinking I must not have finished it because I don't remember any of this now. I wasn't expecting to see Aozaki Touko show up... I'm 90% sure that was her, and it would appear ufotable decided to give back her blue hair.

Wallachia

Postby blkmage » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:53 pm

Haven't watched it yet since I'm away, but if it's who I think it is, it's not Touko and you will find out more later.
blkmage

Postby blkmage » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:43 pm

Alright, now that I have seen it, yes, it's definitely not Touko. The reason you don't recognize it is because they presented that part differently in the anime. In the novel, it's just narration that's explaining Kirtisugu's Origin. In the anime, we get a little bit of foreshadowing.

Anyway, Iri and Maiya vs Kotomine was nice to see animated, but the highlight for me was definitely Kiritsugu vs Kayneth. It's a great fight because it shows exactly why Kiritsugu is the Mage Killer. It has as much to do with the mindset of the magi as it does with Kiritsugu's abilities.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:16 pm

blkmage (post: 1516895) wrote:the highlight for me was definitely Kiritsugu vs Kayneth. It's a great fight because it shows exactly why Kiritsugu is the Mage Killer. It has as much to do with the mindset of the magi as it does with Kiritsugu's abilities.
Yeah, that part was pretty dope, even if Kayneth seemed to be a pretty easy opponent to get figure out/get inside the head of. How is he not dead, actually?

Speaking of, "why is he not dead:" Bluebeard?
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:12 pm

It's been hinted at, but essentially, it's half Kayneth's personality and half the magi worldview. Kayneth isn't dead because he's legitimately a very powerful magus.

The thing about magi is that almost all of them would have the same mindset as Kayneth. They're extremely proud of their study and ancestry (see episode 1 for stuff about families and magic circuits) and there's no way their magecraft would lose against guns and bombs. Notice that neither Tokiomi or Waver use any electronics either; it's all magic.

It's also the nature of magical study. There's no way Kiritsugu could win against Kayneth because he uses guns and claymores because he's not a good enough mage. If he were a good enough mage, there's no way he'd use guns because he'd have some pride instilled in him from his teacher because he'd be from one of the great families.

A lot of it has to do with the way magic works in the Nasuverse. A person essentially does magic by activating their magic circuits, which are inside a magus' body. But a huge part of a magus' powers is the crest, which is kind of like a special circuit that's added to and passed down from generation to generation. This is what Kayneth was talking about at the beginning, since the older a crest is, the more people would have added to it.

And of course, there's the assumptions that are made about who gets into the Holy Grail War. Kayneth and Tokiomi expect high calibre magi to be chosen by the Grail. And of course, since the Einzberns are one of the three great magi families involved in the Grail War, they assumed that the Einzberns would enter a powerful magus for the reasons above.

A person that goes at a mage with just guns and bombs will lose, while the magi have concentrated all of their defenses against other magi. But it's not just that Kiritsugu is an unconventional mage. It's his Origin/Mystic Code combo that makes him extremely dangerous to magi since it ruins magic circuits and crests. Really, he's the single most dangerous opponent that Kayneth could face.

As for Caster, well, you'll see.
blkmage

Postby Wallachia » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:20 pm

Interesting episode. It was nice to see more of Rider, and it was nice to see Waver being useful.

Wallachia

Postby Yamamaya » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:22 pm

Just when you think Rider can't get any more awesome, he defies my expectations again.

Nice to see some background on Diarmuid

Bit off topic, but I can't help but wonder how long Shirou would last in this war. In Fate/stay night, the only competent masters were Team Caster and Team Kotomine. Team Zouken if you count Heaven's Feel. In this Holy Grail War, the only one with no experience at all is the serial killer. I can't help but feel Shirou would get butchered pretty quickly, especially considering his jump in and save all the things mentality.
Yamamaya

Postby blkmage » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:49 pm

Shirou probably would've gotten destroyed but both Ilya and Rin were competent. Ilya wasn't a master magus or anything, but she knew what she was doing. And Rin is at least as good a magus as Waver, if not better.
blkmage

Postby Yamamaya » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:59 pm

blkmage (post: 1517997) wrote:Shirou probably would've gotten destroyed but both Ilya and Rin were competent. Ilya wasn't a master magus or anything, but she knew what she was doing. And Rin is at least as good a magus as Waver, if not better.

True, but both Rin and Illya weren't too keen on destroying Shirou. Illya was too busy "Oni-chaning" and Rin was a bro. Neither of them were as ruthless as the magus in this war.
Yamamaya

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:23 am

You know, I'm glad Kayneth's not dead. He's become a lot more interesting now.

Rider is really great, and his seiyuu deserves mad props for acting the part so well.

This episode went by way too fast.

Gilgamesh and Matou need more screen time than they have been getting.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:32 pm

I was amazed to discover that Rider's seiyuu plays Miyazaki in the Mamoru Hosoda One Piece movie.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby blkmage » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:54 pm

Fate/Zero has a stellar cast and you should look them up because you will see a lot of familiar names and you will be all щ(゚Д゚щ) COOL
blkmage

Postby blkmage » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:44 am

You too can own Fate/zero at the same time as Japan at the low price of $369.98 (MSRP $498.98). (PDF)
SANTA MONICA, CA (December 1, 2011) – Aniplex of America Inc. announced today that the
Fate/Zero - Blu-ray Disc Box I will be imported from Japan and released in North America on March
7th, 2012 through anime distributor RightStuf.com. This highly anticipated release—featuring thirteen
episodes with unaired, new footage, all subtitled in English over five Blu-ray discs—is the latest
example of the company‘s objective to expedite its line-up of wildly popular properties to North
America. Fans in North America can take comfort in knowing this BD box set will be released
simultaneously with Japan‘s release date, and will mark the first time that
Fate/Zero - Blu-ray Disc Box I is officially made available in North America. In addition, Aniplex of
America will include an English translation booklet to accompany the featured Production Material
booklet in the North American release.

"We‘re very excited that we can bring this fan-favorite title to North America at the same time it is
being released in Japan," says Hideki Goto, the president of Animation Business of Aniplex of America.
"Like our previous releases of "The Garden of Sinners" and Rurouni Kenshin, this project comes from
our continuous challenge to deliver the latest show as soon as possible. Aniplex originally simulcasted
Fate/Zero worldwide in association with niconico, now I‘m glad to announce the BD release date to the
North American audience will be the same street date as in Japan. I have no doubt this Fate/Zero -
Blu-ray Disc Box I will satisfy not only the ‗Fate/stay night‘ fans who enthusiastically waited for this
show, but also all those who want to watch the most recent and sophisticated anime show to date. It‘s
our hope that you‘ll find this a worthy showpiece to add to your collection to enjoy and treasure
repeatedly."
blkmage

Postby Neane » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:55 pm

But...won't the second part of Fate/zero not be available until of April - June 2012?
Neane

Postby blkmage » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:56 pm

Yes, but the BD box for the first season is getting released in March.
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:24 pm

For obvious reasons I won't be buying it but...
this project comes from our continuous challenge to deliver the latest show as soon as possible.

Rurouni Kenshin

I lol'd.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby blkmage » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:36 pm

What a heartwarming interlude.
[spoiler]In the book, she doesn't find her friend, only horror/Kariya.[/spoiler]
Aw yeah, we're coming up on one of my favourite, uh, confrontations of the series.
blkmage

Postby Wallachia » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:42 pm

I heard that this episode deviated quite a bit from the novels. Is it just that one scene you mentioned in the spoiler, blkmage, or are there more big changes?

Wallachia

Postby blkmage » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:54 pm

Most of the additional content is just extrapolation, so all of the stuff with Tokiomi isn't in it exactly, but that part is supposed to be about how Rin idolizes her father. But yeah that's really the only change, which means that she doesn't ever meet Ryuunosuke. She does get the compass though, so if you imagine her getting off at Fuyuki and the compass going nuts, that's when she runs into Uncle Kariya. The other implication that she doesn't find her is that all of those kids (who we never get to in the books) do not get a happy end.

Actually, the dynamic of this part changes quite a bit, because it begins with her telling her mom at dinner about her missing friend, with her mom basically going forget about her. Rin decides not to listen to her parents, then we get to the part with the compass going wild and she realizes that she's in way over her head and that her mom was right and so she decides to forget her friend, as it were.
blkmage

Postby blkmage » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:13 am

This episode is the Fate/ series in a nutshell: a hilarious diversion, endless walls of text about ideals, and something awesome to cap it off.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:47 am

That was an awesome episode.

Three kings drinking wine and talking political philosophy. LOGH fans, i.e. me, will eat that stuff up.

Rider's noble phantasm is ridiculous.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:25 pm

Because I know you all love Rider so much, they're going to be selling Rider's t-shirt at the ufotable booth (223) at Comiket 81. You know, if anyone happened to be there.
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:01 am

I'm tempted to stop posting in this thread because every new episode has me going RIDER RIDER RIDER to the point of redundancy.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Popyman » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:25 pm

Playing catch up with this, can't believe I missed so many episodes. >_<
Popyman

Postby blkmage » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:20 am

Well, that is a familiar looking house.

And that shot of the shed.
blkmage

Postby Wallachia » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:08 pm

Indeed. I also enjoyed seeing the conversation that Kotomine and Archer held towards the end of the episode. It's pretty obvious of what's going to happen, I think... Especially for those who've read Fate/Stay Night.

I can't believe there's only one episode left until the end of this season... I don't want to wait for the second part to air.

Wallachia

Postby blkmage » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:40 pm

It makes sense for some shows to be split into two seasons, but I don't think Fate/zero is one of them.
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:52 pm

Yeah, having not read the light novels I was wondering how they would manage to write it as two seasons, and, well, they didn't.

I guess that give you plenty of time to save that $400.

On the other hand Rider is megabro and Caster has found new meaning in his walk with God.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Yamamaya » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:34 pm

A cliffhanger, really? Really?

Like blkmage, I don't get the point of spilting this into two seasons. There wasn't a good spilt in the narative at all.

Anyway some thoughts: Caster and Ryo continue to mix the profane with the heartwarming which manifests itself in the most interesting manner with Ryo's religious philosophy.

Also, Waver acts like a moron but luckily he's got Rider around to get back on the right track.

For those familiar with Fate/stay night, it would make sense that the masters and their servants share many similarities. The type of servant one summons depends on the type of person you are, and the character of the servant can vary slightly depending on the character of the master.

Of course this does not always apply,mainly in the case of Archer. This is because Archers in general have a trait that makes them more capable of indie action.
Yamamaya

Postby blkmage » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:00 pm

I am almost 100% certain they split it because it'd be easier to sell the BD boxes.
blkmage

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews