Fate/Zero: "—If I can, I'd prefer nobody to be sad."

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Yamamaya » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:12 am

Emiya you two timing piece of crap.

NEW EPISODE I MUST HAVE IT.
Yamamaya

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:04 pm

Yamamaya (post: 1510878) wrote:Emiya you two timing piece of crap.
Now, now. She kissed him, remember? =)

This show is all kinds of epic and wonderful. It is hitting just the perfect note for me. I cannot express how much the general tone resonates with me. Excellent stuff so far.

Also, the greatest potential foe to Alexander the Great is Bill Clinton.

Indeed.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:42 am

So I may have said I think Rider is awesome.

I was wrong.

I think Rider is a describing word for awesome.

Also it was great to finally have a fight.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Wallachia » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:54 pm

Today's episode was amazing. I feel like they're upping the suspense a bit, and it's making the wait between episodes incredibly painful.

Wallachia

Postby blkmage » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:01 pm

Ah, ufotable's colourful swirls, I've missed them greatly.
blkmage

Postby Yamamaya » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:56 pm

Rider has the best Haters Gonna Hate entrance of all time.

OF ALL TIME.
Yamamaya

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:35 am

"Man you guys we can't reveal our secret identities that would like ruin everything."

"EXCUSE ME, DIDN'T SEE YOU THERE, I'M ALEXANDER THE GREAT."

So its the first fight scene and it didn't disappoint. Real sense of movement and deception. I also appreciate Noble Phantasms being used strategically rather than just an I Win button (though a few of them sort of are).

Two things though.

1. I wouldn't have had that scene on the bridge with Rider and Waver, but saved it for the next episode. Have Rider OUTTANOWHERE show up and steal the show at the last minute after almost not being in an episode; then, at the beginning of the next episode, show the bridge scene they had here like a Seconds Before flashback, OP, then continue the episode proper. This is me picking on really little things though since I'm a stickler for direction, of which Fate/Zero has shown it has done pat (for the most part).

2. I think Kiritsugu noticing Assassin here would've been a better place to have the Assassin's Still Alive You Guys plot twist than the episode right after Assassin supposedly bit it, but eh, details.

tl;dr Fish likes this show in spite of his need to poison the good things in his life.
Fish and Chips

Postby Yamamaya » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:43 pm

You know, the interesting thing about this episode was how similar thematically this was with Saber's battle with Lancer in Fate/stay night. Both of the Lancers use their Noble Phantasm pretty quickly, and they both feel a desire to state their name prior to battle. Saber easily figures out the identity of both of the Lancers in both battles. And Saber vs Lancer was the second fight in both Fate/stay night and Fate/zero. I suppose that was intentional.

Also I really like this interpretation of Alexander the Great. I think its a reasonable example of artistic license with a historical/legendary figure.
Fish and Chips (post: 1511893) wrote:Two things though.

1. I wouldn't have had that scene on the bridge with Rider and Waver, but saved it for the next episode. Have Rider OUTTANOWHERE show up and steal the show at the last minute after almost not being in an episode]then[/I] continue the episode proper. This is me picking on really little things though since I'm a stickler for direction, of which Fate/Zero has shown it has done pat (for the most part).

Meh I'm not sure this would be a good idea in the long run. This would cause next week's episode to begin on a weak note, with Rider and Waver just standing around the bridge offering commentary. It would be a rather pointless flashback.

Fish and Chips (post: 1511893) wrote:2. I think Kiritsugu noticing Assassin here would've been a better place to have the Assassin's Still Alive You Guys plot twist than the episode right after Assassin supposedly bit it, but eh, details.

I think explaining Assassin's ability right off the bat is better than simply having Kiritsugu notice Assassin and then PLOT. This episode might have led people to believe that death is cheap in the Fate universe, which it isn't. Explaining right off the bat that Assassin is able to spilt into more than one person takes out room for that sort of expectation.

[quote="Fish and Chips (post: 1511893)"]
tl]

You are the bone of your sword.
Yamamaya

Postby blkmage » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:54 pm

I feel like both Lancers are too similar. When I was reading it, for a while, I thought they were the same until I reached an illustration and decided to double-check their identities.

blkmage

Postby blkmage » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:43 am

That there was some pretty nice warming up to close volume 1.
blkmage

Postby Wallachia » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:09 pm

Episode 5 was great. Seeing almost everyone gathered in one place was a treat to watch.

Wallachia

Postby blkmage » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:11 pm

Oh yeah, now that volume 1 is finished, you might be interested in the thoughts of Urobuchi Gen featured in the postface. There's also one by Nasu, but it assumes you've read Fate/stay night. But yeah, I'm sure you'll find Urobuchi's postface extremely interesting in light of certain recent works.
blkmage

Postby Yamamaya » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:59 pm

So Rider keeps on getting more awesome.

My body was not ready for Berserker.

Caster if you weren't a serial killer I would say, "It's okay man, we all feel that way after seeing Saber for the first time."
Yamamaya

Postby blkmage » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:06 pm

My Neighbour Iskandar.
blkmage

Postby blkmage » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:00 am

This week in Fate/Zero:

Team Iri stars in Initial D.
Team Caster got hella censored for the TV broadcast, and for good reason. Feel free to ask for details or surprise yourself when the BDs get released.
Team Kiritsugu gets their first fight, against Team Kayneth.
Gilgamesh is already getting comfortable here.
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:58 am

Gilgamesh you are not such a bad guy, Caster why are you not dead yet, and I think Rider was missing because there is a limit on how good the show can be, and it was coming dangerously close to that quota last episode.

Also Seiba why are you so awesome.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:22 am

Fact: higher quantities of Gilgamesh increase the quality of episodes.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Wallachia » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:37 pm

Another good episode. I don't know what to comment on anymore, as you guys watch the latest episode before I get a chance and then you steal everything I want to say.

It was over so quickly, and now I must wait yet another full week to watch more. How disappointing.
blkmage (post: 1513806) wrote:Team Caster got hella censored for the TV broadcast, and for good reason. Feel free to ask for details or surprise yourself when the BDs get released.
Boy, was the censoring ever obvious. I was beginning to wonder how far they'd go with the that scene, but all they did was mention a... thumb... and then skip to a scene of the wall every few seconds. Okay, I guess that lightens the mood a ton. In the BD release, do you think they'll play a note as low as the novels or will they keep the tune a little happier?

Wallachia

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:47 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1513825) wrote:Fact: higher quantities of Rider increase the quality of episodes.
Fix'd it for you.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby blkmage » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:17 pm

If what they had planned was so bad that they had to cut to a wall instead, well...
blkmage

Postby Popyman » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:40 pm

I just got into Fate/Stay Night recently so watching this while reading the VN for the first time probably isn't the best of ideas but I just can't help it--THIS SHOW IS SO AMAZING. The animation and direction of the scenes are just fantastic. I wish the F/SN anime was treated so well. :(

Hey blkmage, can you read Japanese? Or has the Fate/Zero light novels been translated into English somewhere?
Popyman

Postby blkmage » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:06 pm

Yes, the entire thing's translated.
blkmage

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:06 pm

Kayneth is Grade A whipped husband material.
Yamamaya (post: 1511956) wrote:Meh I'm not sure this would be a good idea in the long run. This would cause next week's episode to begin on a weak note, with Rider and Waver just standing around the bridge offering commentary.
I'm just going to sit here and pretend you didn't suggest that anything involving Rider and Waver would be starting on a weak note.

Especially after next week's episode did start on Rider and Waver. In a flashback. Or repeat. Whatever.
Yamamaya (post: 1511956) wrote:I think explaining Assassin's ability right off the bat is better than simply having Kiritsugu notice Assassin and then PLOT. This episode might have led people to believe that death is cheap in the Fate universe, which it isn't. Explaining right off the bat that Assassin is able to spilt into more than one person takes out room for that sort of expectation.
I guess it's just my disapproval for playing at killing the character off, hinting something larger, grander, only to IMMEDIATELY show the audience your hand, dispelling all need for speculation. Obviously Assassin wasn't going to get zonked after only two episodes, what with all the attention Kotomine received, but we weren't even afforded the chance to second guess what was coming.

The idea that death is cheap could easily be swept away in a single well-placed sentence. "It is good none of the other masters are aware of Assassin's true nature]If what they had planned was so bad that they had to cut to a wall instead, well...[/QUOTE]"No matter what, the idea is the most important. Even though the final result is not as satisfactory as imagined, the act of challenging it already matters a lot by itself."

Ryūnosuke was inspired by the words of the exalted fiend. For a youth who was never understood by anyone, who created art alone, the encouragement of these words held great meaning.

Hard work is needed. Ryūnosuke once again picked up his spirits. It won't do to be afraid of failure. Failure is the mother of success; a long journey begins from the ground beneath his feet.

After all, he has to think progressively. It's too early to discard the making of this human instrument. If he can find the root of the problem, he might be able to find some solution.
[spoiler]And, sounds aside, the expression of pain the girl had when he fondled with the intestine taken out of her body was also extraordinarily alluring. To discard such a precious expression would more or less be a waste.[/spoiler]:waah!:
Fish and Chips

Postby blkmage » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:36 am

This week, there's no daylight savings so everything's an hour earlier, which is convenient for me.

Looks like Gilgamesh isn't the only one who likes our clothes.

Caster fun times again!

But the real takeaway of the episode (which was my first thought when I read it) is that Kiritsugu really is Homura.

On the fight itself, I feel like it got shortened a lot. Of course, I could be remembering wrong and the rest of the fight is actually next episode, but I thought there was a bit more to it up to the point the JUST AS KEIKAKU part.
blkmage

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:18 pm

Caster why is everything you do edited for TV stop that.
blkmage (post: 1515145) wrote:But the real takeaway of the episode (which was my first thought when I read it) is that Kiritsugu really is Homura.
While Homura was really only ever Dio Brando.
Fish and Chips

Postby Wallachia » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:03 pm

Rider was great this episode. I'd totally defeat a Servant for the sole purpose of obtaining pants.

Wallachia

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:33 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1515264) wrote:While Homura was really only ever Dio Brando.
How can this be.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:40 pm

blkmage

Postby Sapphire225 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:55 pm

I need to catch up with the series over the Thanksgiving break.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby Popyman » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:32 pm

What did I just watch.
Popyman

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews