Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann!

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:03 am

KhakiBlueSocks (post: 1503031) wrote:[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"]If you want to talk about "Real Men" with regards to anime, I can think of several characters that could fit the bill WAY better than Kamina, my personal favorite being Hachirota "Hachimaki" Hoshino from "Planetes".[/font][/color][/SIZE]
Alrighty. I'm willing to hear you out. Let's look at your supporting arguments.
[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"]He's not this over-the-top idiot spouting fake inspiring lines. He's real and inspiring without trying to be. He's an everyday guy with real flaws, real feelings, who works hard to get the job done and accomplishes his goals.[/font][/color][/SIZE]
[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"]feelings[/font][/color][/SIZE]

DISQUALIFIED!
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Cadence » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:22 am

>Kamina and Hachimaki
>manly

Suddenly, I am so glad that I am a woman. (^_^)b
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6
Cadence

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:28 am

Arguing about philosophy
Gurren Lagann

I seriously hope you guys don't do this.

Gurren Lagann is pretty epic overall. Yoko is hot and awesome, Kamina is awesome, Simon is GAR.

It's a universe run by the sheer power of awesome which is pretty awesome.

Not even redundancy can stand before our drills.
Yamamaya

Postby aliveinHim » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:54 am

Yamamaya (post: 1503106) wrote:Arguing about philosophy
Gurren Lagann

I seriously hope you guys don't do this.

Gurren Lagann is pretty epic overall. Yoko is hot and awesome, Kamina is awesome, Simon is GAR.

It's a universe run by the sheer power of awesome which is pretty awesome.

Not even redundancy can stand before our drills.

I think you summed up TTGL the best. Yoko is actually cool unlike other anime girls who want to stand around and look pretty (but PLEASE Yoko, put some clothes on).
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:06 pm

...seems as though I'm a part of a minority (in more ways than one) that just doesn't like this show so I'm not even going to try and continue arguing. I hate it for my own reasons, and I REALLY don't feel like being argued down with the same points. Agree to disagree.

Besides, I really don't get the whole thing with the picture. If you have a point to make, make it with your words, not just some anime pictures with an obscure reference. Just saying.
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby bigsleepj » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:40 pm

Although I enjoyed TTGL for being completely crazy (I'll admit I have a soft spot for crazy) I think that most of Khaki's objections are wholly justified. Also, though I enjoy Kamina as a character I enjoy him in the same way I enjoy watching a character like Homer Simpson; not as a role model but someone you can laugh at. He seems more like an affectionate parody of someone obsessed with being manly.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Yamamaya » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:29 am

Maokun (post: 1503048) wrote:Wait... TTGL... Nihilistic? [snip]

I agree with this. I don't see how one can examine TTGL and come to the conclusion that is nihilistic.

If anything the [SPOILER] Anti Spirals are an example of the nihilistic attitude. They recongize that the universe will eventually be destroyed, thus they completely divorce themselves from all human emotions and form to keep the universe safe from the Spiral Menance.[/SPOILER] Nihilism does not leave room for the triumph of the human spirit and will. The ideas expressed in TTGL are much closer to humanism. Although it is important to note that the roots of humanism are not necessarily atheistic. They took root in Renaissance Italy. Humanism taught that mankind has unlimited potential and man should increase in knowledge in all areas. Humanism also focused on humanity being made in the image of God, and thus capable of beauty and glory.

A nihilstic view is far more depressing and helpless than the views expressed in TTGL. At best a nihilist can just shrug and like the writer of Ecclesiastes said, you might as well enjoy what you can in life because its all you have, even if life is truly pointless.

@Khaki.

I understand why you dislike this show. The thing is, this show is really one that people watch with their hearts, not their minds.
Yamamaya

Postby goldenspines » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:51 pm

Yamamaya (post: 1503393) wrote: The thing is, this show is really one that people watch with their hearts, not their minds.
I have only seen 4 episodes of TTGL (my time is sparse, so I haven't gotten back to continuing it yet), but if this statement about GL is true, this is perhaps why I'm enjoying it.

I tend to veer away from anime that messes with my mind and tries to twist up the world so much that you can't get things unscrewed (i.e. NGE). But, I love watching anime with a story I can just enjoy. Does it have to be overly logical and deep? No. In fact, I'd prefer if it wasn't. XD

For example (and note, I have only seen the first four episodes, so it may go down hill from here and I just don't know it, but I'll treasure the first few episodes), Kamina is my favorite character simply for one line he says in episode 1 or 2. You've probably heard it because it's one of those that's quoted a lot.
"Believe in me who believes in you!"
This is a cheesy line when you think about it. But so are most inspiring lines when you think about them too much. Just imagine, how wonderful is it to have someone who believes in you so much EVEN THOUGH they know full well you don't (and may never) believe in yourself nor are you probably strong enough to face the monster?
Yet, that person believing in you is enough to keep you going; to keep trying, even though you KNOW it's useless.

/overly deep and cheesy post.

This thread makes me want to watch more Gurren Lagann when I should be doing homework.
goldenspines

Postby Yamamaya » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:23 am

goldenspines (post: 1503479) wrote:I have only seen 4 episodes of TTGL (my time is sparse, so I haven't gotten back to continuing it yet), but if this statement about GL is true, this is perhaps why I'm enjoying it.

Ho boy, you have to keep watching. It's one of those shows that just keeps getting better and better.

goldenspines (post: 1503479) wrote:For example (and note, I have only seen the first four episodes, so it may go down hill from here and I just don't know it, but I'll treasure the first few episodes), Kamina is my favorite character simply for one line he says in episode 1 or 2. You've probably heard it because it's one of those that's quoted a lot.
"Believe in me who believes in you!"
This is a cheesy line when you think about it. But so are most inspiring lines when you think about them too much. Just imagine, how wonderful is it to have someone who believes in you so much EVEN THOUGH they know full well you don't (and may never) believe in yourself nor are you probably strong enough to face the monster?
Yet, that person believing in you is enough to keep you going]

This. It is quite inspiring to have someone like that in your life who keeps you on the path, even when you don't believe in yourself. BTW there is a reason why Kamina says this all the time, but you'll have to wait for a few more episodes to find out. :thumbsup:

goldenspines (post: 1503479) wrote:This thread makes me want to watch more Gurren Lagann when I should be doing homework.

One of these things will ultimately make you feel unfulfilled. You will inevitably have to do it again, and the amount of credit you get for it probably won't be worth the time.

The other will inspire you and fill you with the energy to burst through the heavens. You will realize just who the heck you are.

Make the right choice.
Yamamaya

Postby Lockon Stratos » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:23 pm

I love Kamina. (platonicly, of course as I am a guy) This is for three major reasons.:rant:
1: "Who the h*** do you think I am!?"
2: "Don't believe in yourself. Just believe in the me that believes in you."
3: "When there is no path a real man makes his own."
These three phrases sum two of the men that I respect most, one fictional, one real.
Kamina and Roscoe Blair, my maternal grandfather.
Oh, and Khaki, THAT IS HOW A REAL MAN ACTS.
Fin rant.
Lockon Stratos

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:32 pm

Lockon Stratos (post: 1503633) wrote:Oh, and Khaki, THAT IS HOW A REAL MAN ACTS.

Wow, 2 things.

One, you really missed the point of the show didn't you.

Two. Let's lay of Khaki. He's allowed to dislike the show and screaming at him about it isn't going to change anything and is actually rather rude.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Lockon Stratos » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:04 pm

mechana2015 (post: 1503638) wrote:Wow, 2 things.

One, you really missed the point of the show didn't you.

Two. Let's lay of Khaki. He's allowed to dislike the show and screaming at him about it isn't going to change anything and is actually rather rude.

I know, I was just being insane for a moment. He's allowed to think that, and that the moon is made :hits_self
Bad Lockon bad, bad Lockon. You will be nicer to people you disagree with.
Even Communist and Pedophiles?:(
Okay, you can be mean to them.
Yay!
But nobody else, especially over something as trivial as anime.
Aaaw.

Okay, arguement with self over. Hi, I am Lockon's kinder, more understanding self. You have only met my mean, hateful and sarcastic self. You are correct yelling won't help at all, but, as for me not understanding the show, I thought that the point of the show was that just because someone told you can't do something doesn't mean it's impossible and by not giving in you can do anything.
Lockon Stratos

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:08 pm

Yeah the point is overcoming obstacles and not giving up and all that. Kamina is not the person that ends up embodying those ideals... thats why he couldn't really do much, all said and done, except encourage and push someone else to do them. I never found Kamina to be that admirable a charachter in the end of it all.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Lockon Stratos » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:02 pm

For Simon he does, and being the inspiration of someone great is almost as important as being that great someone.
Lockon Stratos

Postby Crossfire » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:51 pm

Eh, I've been meaning to watch this. If it's as good as you people say, I guess I'll try it out.
Crossfire

Postby Lockon Stratos » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:39 pm

As long as fanservice doesn't annoy you too much, yeah it is.
Lockon Stratos

Postby K. Ayato » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:16 pm

The most fan service is that one episode. I know Yoko's outfits are mainly eye candy, but I focused more on the characters and plot more than anything else. Maybe that's 'cause I'm also a tomboy. Who knows? :P
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Previous

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews