Worst anime ever!

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby goldenspines » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:12 am

Kaori (post: 1495781) wrote: What was it that made Takaki come across as a jerk to you? I’m just curious, because I didn’t get that impression.

Spoiler tags just in case. ^_^] Mainly in the second and third episodes. I only saw him as a jerk because he falls into a deep depression that he doesn't try to get out of and keeps moping about. :\ He almost completely ignores any other things around him and can't even get up the courage to contact/find Akari after a while.
That's just me though. It was still a good story (in the sense of lessons of life and such). It could be argued that Takaki is better in the end after the train scene, but I dunno. I just couldn't see it. XD; [/spoiler]
goldenspines

Postby blkmage » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:29 am

Wolf-man (post: 1495766) wrote:I guess what I'm saying is that topic is supposed to be about what you consider the worst anime ever. It didn't strike me as a debate thread where you would have to defend your reasoning. I mean its one thing if you simply ask that question and be done with the person's answer but it doesn't end there. People will give an answer and others will seem to say that it is not good enough and give reasons why they are wrong.
Also, despite what Nate says about this topic not being "not "Worst anime in your opinion" it is heavily implied like it is in all topics like this. Whenever anyone asks anyone what they consider the worst or best of something it is always going to be your opinion.

You should be prepared to defend your reasoning in every discussion. That is the entire point of forums. This notion of a "normal" thread versus a "debate" thread is one of my biggest annoyances with the culture of this board. No: every thread is a thread in which discussion and discourse occurs and I don't think it's too much to ask to make sure your opinions are sound.

When it comes down to it, I don't actually care that you think x is bad, I want to know why you think x is bad, and that necessitates defence. And if you can't defend what you're saying, then why would what you're saying matter to me?

If this thread is just for people to simply respond with a title, what do we learn in this thread, other than that most people here haven't watched enough anime to make judgements on quality?
blkmage

Postby rocklobster » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:12 pm

Even though I'm a Studio Ghibli fanboy, I cannot stand Pom Poko. It has terrible animation and I don't like overtly preachy stories. And that doesn't even get into the sexual humor in it. The only reason I still have my copy is that I recorded it off of TCM and have a much better movie on the same disk, so if I throw it out, I also throw out the better movie.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:14 pm

rocklobster (post: 1495797) wrote:Even though I'm a Studio Ghibli fanboy, I cannot stand Pom Poko. It has terrible animation and I don't like overtly preachy stories. And that doesn't even get into the sexual humor in it. The only reason I still have my copy is that I recorded it off of TCM and have a much better movie on the same disk, so if I throw it out, I also throw out the better movie.
I really did not like Pom Poko at all, but I am failing to see how anyone could say it doesn't have good animation. The animation is fantastic, which is the case in most Ghibli films.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby rocklobster » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:18 pm

It was all the chibi scenes that threw me off, H & C.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:53 pm

That doesn't mean the animation was poorly done, just that it wasn't to your (or my) liking. I don't like Pom Poko either.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby TopazRaven » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:43 pm

Okami (post: 1495362) wrote:This most likely was .hack//Dusk (or more commonly known Stateside as //Legend of the Twilight), which is only really related to //Sign by name. :lol: [SIZE="1"](Note that .hack is the series, and the //*insert name here* is the title of that particular portion to the series...all have interrelating parts, such as //Dusk following the PS2 games, which follow after //Sign, and there are definite canon and non-canon portions to the series, some of which the .hack//Dusk anime falls under, as the manga is the official canon for that portion.) [/SIZE] I do recall the anime being different to the manga (and looking at the wiki, this is true - "Although the first 4 episodes of the anime follow the same story as the manga, minus a few changes, the stories diverge greatly later on." (Source.)

So I can't really defend the .hack//Dusk anime, since it is less of canon than its manga counterpart is and I never saw it through, trying to keep up with the rest of the series.

I'll be honest though, .hack is the longest running franchise series that I've followed and loved the majority of. It's definitely one that takes a lot of patience to wind through the twisting curves of never-ending un-answered questions that to this day I am still piecing through, at least six years later.

Kitsune (post: 1495655) wrote:Okami hit it right on the nose. What you saw was .Hack//Dusk (or Legend of the Twilight), which did indeed have its issues. (and should be noted that it should NOT be compared to the rest of the .hack franchise or represent what the other series/games/manga are like because they are drastically different). and in all honesty the anime made the relationship between the two main characters (indeed brother and sister) rather weird as far as I remember. I don't remember the manga making it strange like that. So yeah, Dusk was not so great, the rest of the .hack series (in my opinion) is amazing. It gives really interesting characters and really messes with your head to no end XD

Yep, you are both right! I looked the title up and recognized the character designs. I think I was only around 12 or 13 at the time and I had seen some episodes from the original .Hack//Sign so I was excited to see Legend of the Twilight. I'm pretty sure I used to watch it on Cartoon Network. I was sad to drop it because I did find the story behind it very interesting. The relationship between Rena and Shugo was just way to weird for me. :lol: Then someone told me that incest is alright in Japan (not sure how true this is) so that's what finally made me drop the series. I was afriad they where gonna hook up in the end or something. Lol. I've actually been meaning to try and get into the .Hack//Sign series, but maybe I'll skip the anime for Legend of the Twilight and just read the manga if I can find it if it's truly different from the anime in that regard.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Atria35 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:49 pm

TopazRaven (post: 1495865) wrote:Then someone told me that incest is alright in Japan (not sure how true this is) so that's what finally made me drop the series.

Just so I can put this to rest- no, it's not. There are a number of shows that pander to that fetish, but it's not considered okay.

But this thread did remind me that I have Mars of Destriction ready for viewing. I think I won't be disappointed in how terrible it is.
Atria35

Postby TopazRaven » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:53 pm

Thanks for clearing that up for me Atria. xD
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby ADXC » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:26 pm

Wow, am I the only one here who likes Pom Poko? XDD I thought it was funny and had a nice story.
ADXC

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:23 pm

blkmage (post: 1495791) wrote:You should be prepared to defend your reasoning in every discussion. That is the entire point of forums. This notion of a "normal" thread versus a "debate" thread is one of my biggest annoyances with the culture of this board. No: every thread is a thread in which discussion and discourse occurs and I don't think it's too much to ask to make sure your opinions are sound.

When it comes down to it, I don't actually care that you think x is bad, I want to know why you think x is bad, and that necessitates defence. And if you can't defend what you're saying, then why would what you're saying matter to me?

If this thread is just for people to simply respond with a title, what do we learn in this thread, other than that most people here haven't watched enough anime to make judgements on quality?

I'm just gonna quote this because I think it's awesome and nobody's really referred back to it yet and I don't want it to get lost in the thread. XD So now it is here TWICE, and quoted for truth. XD

As for an anime I think is the worst ever, I don't really think I have one. XD I tend to only watch anime that I at least think I'll enjoy going into it. I remember seeing a few OVAs that bored the LOL out of me, but I don't remember much about them since I deleted them from my harddrive because they were the most boring things ever. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Kaori » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:22 am

goldenspines (post: 1495787) wrote:[spoiler] Mainly in the second and third episodes. I only saw him as a jerk because he falls into a deep depression that he doesn't try to get out of and keeps moping about. :\ He almost completely ignores any other things around him and can't even get up the courage to contact/find Akari after a while.
That's just me though. It was still a good story (in the sense of lessons of life and such). It could be argued that Takaki is better in the end after the train scene, but I dunno. I just couldn't see it. XD]

Regarding your first point, I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this; I just do not equate that with being a jerk.

For the second point, I do see where you're coming from. But if that makes Takaki a jerk, then it logically follows that Akari is also a jerk, because

[spoiler]like Takaki, she doesn't ever give him the letter she had written before their meeting, and she doesn't ever contact him again, either. I think they're pretty mutually at fault for falling out of contact with each other.[/spoiler]Personally, though, I don't particularly think that makes either of them a jerk. Losing touch with people is just something that happens in life.

Last point: I assume you're talking about the very end?

[spoiler]The part where the train goes by, Takaki looks back, and Akari is no longer there, but he turns away and smiles? That was interesting, because like you said, it can be interpreted as showing that Takaki is finally able to move on. On the other hand, it's a rather sad smile, so I think it's something that could be interpreted either way--and I like that deliberate open-endedness.[/spoiler]
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby ADXC » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:43 am

Kaori (post: 1495948) wrote:Regarding your first point, I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this]like Takaki, she doesn't ever give him the letter she had written before their meeting, and she doesn't ever contact him again, either. I think they're pretty mutually at fault for falling out of contact with each other.[/spoiler]Personally, though, I don't particularly think that makes either of them a jerk. Losing touch with people is just something that happens in life.

[spoiler]The part where the train goes by, Takaki looks back, and Akari is no longer there, but he turns away and smiles? That was interesting, because like you said, it can be interpreted as showing that Takaki is finally able to move on. On the other hand, it's a rather sad smile, so I think it's something that could be interpreted either way--and I like that deliberate open-endedness.[/spoiler]

All of this.

XD I didn't think he was a jerk either lol.

I know many people do not really like the movie, but I do. The first time I saw it, I was like "WHAT IN THE WORLD?!?" But then every now and then I'll watch it to see if I can catch more things and to be honest, I think this is one of the best realistic anime movies that I've seen.

[SPOILER] Time passes away and we lose touch with those we thought we were going to be with. Sure there may be regret about it, but there's also the possibility that some other outcome may happen later on. I think the movie was real with people and did not treat it as a fairy tale like Miyazaki sometimes does. The movie illustrates the idea of time and distance and how those have an effect on our lives. While the movie did not have a very happy ending, it did have an ending I could see happening in real life. And also, it may be happy because it still leaves the story unfinished. It leaves the opportunity for both of them to find someone new or maybe get together again. In a way, the ending to this story reminded me of the ending of The Social Network. And also, the ending song just leaves me absolutely speechless as it is very beautiful and teaches that there is one more time, one more chance for you to change your life around. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97CzSEuRqW0 [/SPOILER]

However, this is just my opinion. I don't mind if you think it's rubbish, but it's what I think nonetheless.
ADXC

Postby goldenspines » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:38 pm

Kaori (post: 1495948) wrote:Regarding your first point, I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this] Works for me. Though, you have inspired me to go watch it again. Perhaps my view will change the second time around. ^_^

For the second point, I do see where you're coming from. But if that makes Takaki a jerk, then it logically follows that Akari is also a jerk, because

[spoiler]like Takaki, she doesn't ever give him the letter she had written before their meeting, and she doesn't ever contact him again, either. I think they're pretty mutually at fault for falling out of contact with each other.[/spoiler]Personally, though, I don't particularly think that makes either of them a jerk. Losing touch with people is just something that happens in life.
I was going to say that I thought Akari no better in her own actions, but the show was mainly focused on Takaki XD; I ended up getting rather annoyed with the both of them, really. ^_^;
[spoiler] Which means they were indeed made for each other, probably. ^_^ [/spoiler]

[spoiler] Despite being sad for most parties, it was a satisfying ending. It echoed reality in a way (things not turning out how we imagine them and the like. Yet, from that point onward, anything could happen); hence why I don't ever want to see it listed as the "worst anime" or even as a bad anime. I was just peeved by some of the characters and how they were written in the story. XD;
I did mention I related to and liked one character, though; Kanae. And if anything, the second episode was the only one I liked watching, painful as it was for the character in question. But she was the only character I could really care about. [/spoiler]
goldenspines

Postby Nate » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:22 pm

So I thought about posting this, and I think I'm going to go through with it because I truly think this deserves to be mentioned as one of the worst anime ever. I'm going to put the title in spoilers and if the mods think it should be removed, I apologize and definitely remove it.
[SPOILER]Eiken.[/SPOILER]
I can literally think of no redeeming qualities of this show. The art style is hideous, the animation is terrible, the characters have no personality and the women are nothing but sex objects. This anime honestly has not a single positive thing going for it. It's terrible the whole way through.

THAT is how you do a worst anime ever nomination.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:33 pm

Nate (post: 1496021) wrote:So I thought about posting this, and I think I'm going to go through with it because I truly think this deserves to be mentioned as one of the worst anime ever. I'm going to put the title in spoilers and if the mods think it should be removed, I apologize and definitely remove it.
[SPOILER]Hidan no Aria.[/SPOILER]
I can literally think of no redeeming qualities of this show. The art style is hideous, the animation is terrible, the characters have no personality and the women are nothing but sex objects. This anime honestly has not a single positive thing going for it. It's terrible the whole way through.

THAT is how you do a worst anime ever nomination.
This is my fix'd nomination because I have not seen the title you mentioned.

Though I'm not sure if it makes a show more applicable to have a low budget or a massive budget. I mean, sure, Hidan no Aria is an awful trash show, but it wasn't like it would ever be something good. Odin, on the other hand, had such a massive budget I wonder if that would make it more applicable, because despite the strong animation it is such a waste of money because the plot and pacing is so bad.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Nate » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:37 pm

I'm tempted to say that a low budget would almost be a requirement for an anime to be truly bad, because if the animation is beautiful, no matter how poor the story and characters were it would at least be pleasant or exciting to look at.

Nate

Postby blkmage » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:37 pm

I kinda feel like I need to watch Garzey's Wing at some point. The other option might be Musashi Gundoh, because man, some of those gifs.

EDIT: wish me luck, I just found the first episode of Musashi Gundoh, brb

EDIT 2: oh well, I guess I'll just do this here

We are off to a fantastic start with the OP song, which is not a very good song at all. Impressive.

Wow, they didn't even bother to fade the song, it just cuts out.

Panning stills everywhere. And it looks like these are fakesubs, but it may be for the best.

This boy appears to be making sounds off sync with his feet hitting the ground.

clearly we are seeing the door open before it makes the sound because light travels faster than sound

same goes for the moving of the mouth and speaking. What's particularly great is that this is, of course, dubbed in the original language

If your parents are old enough this might happen to you. You might show your parents a video game you're playing and so you'll go around shooting guys. Then they'll shout "THAT'S THE SAME GUY" because we've forgotten that programmers are lazy and reuse models. I am pretty sure Musashi has just fought the anime equivalent of a bunch of guys who share the same model.

it's been a while since I've seen gratuitous animation recycling like this

this guy's spear just bent like rubber, also this is really bad art and animation if you were wondering

everyone in this anime has crazy eyes

and this guy has a really huge mustache, how does it work

some historical context: what is particularly beautiful about the timing of this show is that it aired in the same season as The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, which was then widely considered to have some of the best animation production for a TV series

as another side note, these fakesubs are pretty entertaining for the references to big pre-2006 anime that aired recently then that may be forgotten nowadays

it's strange how even a comedic exaggerated choking scene can look so incorrect

yeah, hands and arms do not work that way

derpface: the anime

what an impressively awful eyecatch, I suspect they reversed the animation for the return one (yes, I am only halfway)

sometimes, I wonder if it's just the video or if they actually are so bad at animation that it stutters

the music is not outstandingly bad, it's more like a low-key muttering of bad

actually, I'm pretty sure now that they are really that bad at animation that it stutters

oh dear, healthy hands should not bend at that angle

I guess the problem with lazy offscreen animation tricks is that it's hard to keep track of which angles things come in at

wow, I did not expect for it to be possible for this show to have off model shots, but there you go

not really a comment on the quality of the show, but do they make triple barrel shotguns?

wait, now there is one less barrel

they couldn't decide whether he was chewing on that stem or not, huh

in a shocking turn of events, the ED song is just not very good as opposed to abysmally bad like the OP

these characters in the next episode preview, they have even worse faces

so yeah, Musashi Gundoh is a bad anime and I think I will pass on the following 26 episodes and I will leave you with this

blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:59 pm

Nate (post: 1496025) wrote:I'm tempted to say that a low budget would almost be a requirement for an anime to be truly bad, because if the animation is beautiful, no matter how poor the story and characters were it would at least be pleasant or exciting to look at.
I guess I should have elaborated on the travesty that is Odin. One scene is of one of the ship's crewman going up a glass elevator and longingly stretching out his hand as he gazes out towards the ship for several minutes. I'm not talking pleasant or exciting to look at. This movie is known for being incredibly boring in addition to poorly written. This isn't a Michael Bay film or anything.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Neane » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:08 pm

I agree with that certain post Nate put up.
Neane

Postby Okami » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:43 pm

blkmage (post: 1496026) wrote:I kinda feel like I need to watch Garzey's Wing at some point. The other option might be Musashi Gundoh, because man, some of those gifs.

*snip*

Thank you for this! :lol:
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:05 pm

This thread makes me want to watch these.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Nate » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:23 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs wrote:This movie is known for being incredibly boring in addition to poorly written. This isn't a Michael Bay film or anything.

Hmm, okay. Well, if a movie has a huge budget and squanders it, I suppose that would also qualify, then (if it wasn't meant to be slow-paced on purpose I mean). I'm thinking something like Last Airbender which obviously had a huge budget and tried to make impressive special effects but didn't quite succeed in some areas. On the other hand, you do have stuff like Transformers which fails in every conceivable regard, but has action scenes that can...well, they're actually pretty competent if you could just tell who was fighting who and they didn't all look like gray junk heaps running around.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is if it has a huge budget and the animation is nice but it isn't impressive, I suppose it qualifies.
This thread makes me want to watch these.

From what I hear, M.D. Geist IS a contender for one of the worst anime ever but I dunno man...it seems like the kind of anime where you could enjoy it ironically, like for how bad and cheesy it is. So I would say it isn't TRULY bad.

Besides, man. Dat soundtrack.

CAN'T STOP, HE'S JUST A SOLDIER

Nate

Postby Kaori » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:38 am

blkmage wrote: Musashi Gundoh

Hilarious! Thanks for sharing those comments.

ADXC wrote:I think this is one of the best realistic anime movies that I've seen.

goldenspines wrote: It echoed reality in a way

This. It’]At the end, you have one person who was able to move on (apparently without too much difficulty) and one person who wasn't (except perhaps in that very last moment, depending on your interpretation). That letting go is harder for some people than for others strikes me as being very realistic. In real life, every now and then you get someone who falls in love with one person only and never with anyone else, even if they aren’t able to be with that person, but I think more people are able to move past their failed relationships and fall in love with someone else than not.[/spoiler]
The way Shinkai handles his themes with such maturity, nuance, and realism is what I admire most about the film (followed closely by the gorgeous animation, of course).

ADXC wrote:[spoiler] It leaves the opportunity for both of them to find someone new or maybe get together again.[/spoiler]

Forgive me if this is stating the obvious—]It’s evident at the end that Akari is going to marry someone? We can tell by the focus on the ring on her finger in the third chapter, her parents’ instructions to “make him delicious food,” and her saying that there were various preparations that needed to be made for the ceremony. In Japanese, this was subtle but still definitely implied that she was getting married. So, I am pretty sure that the guy she is shown happily walking with during the end song is the unnamed guy she’s marrying. That’s not to say that she couldn’t still get together with Takaki again someday—but she would have to get divorced first.[/spoiler]

goldenspines wrote:[spoiler]Which means they were indeed made for each other, probably. ^_^[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I dunno, if two people aren’]

goldenspines wrote: Though, you have inspired me to go watch it again. Perhaps my view will change the second time around. ^_^

^^
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Princess Mononoke

Postby Contrarian » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:19 am

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1495050) wrote:...I love that movie.

Could you please provide some arguments justifying your criticisms? What bad messages did the movie communicate? How and when did it become "plotless?"

Well, I borrowed the dub from the library to watch with one of my newer-to-anime friends, who was fifteen at the time.
:rant:
The movie had a deceivingly PG-13 rating. I think it deserved an R.
If I recall correctly (or not, whatever), by around ten minutes in, there had been more gore than an entire Arnold Schwarzenegger movie... I could see my poor friend cringing, (and this was from the girl who had seen the Matrix, Lord of the Rings, R-rated movies, etc as a very young child with her older sister...) and I just felt bad for her whenever blood splattered dramatically as a random guy got decapitated or whatever...so yeah. :shake: I don't feel like this was a great impression to make on her, and was really lucky that it didn't turn her off from anime permanently. Needless to say, I was not happy that I had pointed out the movie to her while we were looking for something to watch. :bang: I'm also really glad her mother wasn't around otherwise I might not be able to see her anymore. Her mother is very anti-anime and seems like she is just waiting for an excuse to :bootout: manga/anime out of the house.

You asked about bad messages. I think that the animators went a bit overboard trying to prove their point. One doesn't need to see bucketloads of gore and violence to understand such a simple concept as war and the struggle of man vs. self, man vs. nature, man vs man. Not to mention the unjustified enviromentalist attitude that seemed to hint at the lives of people being worth less than a forest staying where it is. (I'm quite enviromentalist myself, but a tree's life NEVER equals a human's life.) :stressed:

Anyway, plotwise, it felt like the movie followed WAY too many people at once, and motives for different actions kept changing and/or were often unexplained, which made it very confusing. I'm not going to say I didn't enjoy some parts of the movie, such as the breathtaking scenery, etc, etc. (I might even see it again one day...) I just think that Hayao Miyazaki has and can do a lot better, so I will never recommend this movie. As far as my poor friend and anime are concerned, Princess Mononoke has been :banned:.
Contrarian

Location: Beneath the grove of heavily-scented coconut palms.

Postby Nate » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:36 am

Contrarian wrote:I think it deserved an R.
If I recall correctly (or not, whatever), by around ten minutes in, there had been more gore than an entire Arnold Schwarzenegger movie...

More gore than Twins? I highly doubt that!

I actually haven't seen the movie, so I don't have much to contribute. Except that I can't imagine the movie being violent enough to require an R rating. The only movies I can think of that should have had an R rating that didn't were the first two Transformers flicks (and possibly the third, but I never saw that one so I can't say for sure).

Nate

Postby Atria35 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:22 am

@ Contrarian: Having seen the movie, I could see the movie getting an R rating if it had been live-action. The scene in the beginning did have a man's arms being ripped off. There was very little blood, though, you just saw them ripped off, but that was quite violent. There was also the scene where the main character was shot through the chest, and bled quite a bit.

Neither of those scenes were blood-spatter gore fests, though, and nothing near the violence in those two *short* scenes happened anywhere else.

Edit: I just read W4J's comment on LoTR having more violence than Princess Mononoke. I think he's right. LoTR is PG-13, but showed a number of decapitations, stabbings, and other quite violent acts. So I think the violence being shocking was perhaps because you didn't expect to see that type of violence in an animated movie.

I also think that the environmental message wasn't that a tree's life was more than a human's. It was that the humans were doing the equivalent of strip mining- destroying the land, taking what they wanted, and leaving the rest to rot- and most of it couldn't come back because of the methods they were using. While the humans did need to mine for the iron that they were using, they were ultimately making the land uninhabitable for everyone, humans and animals included. Human's can't grow or live off of land that's been destroyed any more than those animals could in the movie.
Atria35

Postby Sapphire225 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:57 pm

An extremely horrible anime? How about that Clannad After Story! So atrocioius [SIZE="1"]For making me cry[/SIZE]. And how about that Full Metal Alchemist. It is so [SIZE="1"]not[/SIZE] cliche. Oh, and don't get me started on that atrociously [SIZE="1"]awesome[/SIZE] anime, Ghost in the Shell. They all make me sick [SIZE="1"]with how awesome they are[/SIZE].

On a more serious note...

The worst anime I've ever seen? Err...I've only watched an episode of it and I don't know if I think CAA would allow me to mention it. Eiken?

Also, this may be the Trnasformers fan in me, but Transformers Armada was butchered when it came to America. Wow not exactly the worse I've seen, because Transformers holds a place in my heart, the show has gained a particular hatred from me due to those wretched children that overshadow the giant robot action.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:35 pm

While I would still offer Hidan no Aria as the worst I've seen, I have a new show that may be a contender:

I have to wonder if the staff of the show had even seen prior Macross series.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby TheBigSpeigs » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:33 pm

I usually have a pretty good idea of what I'm watching, but the worst anime I've personally seen was one episode of Kanokon (not sure why I watched it). An anime I can't personally stand but I understand its merit is Full Metal Panic. I like the action but everytime it switches to its slap stick comedy moments, its kind of jarring. The fan service also really took me out of the serious moments :shake:
TheBigSpeigs

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews