Worst anime ever!

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Okami » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:43 pm

TopazRaven (post: 1495255) wrote:No, I'm pretty sure that wasn't it if you are talking about the anime I don't remember the name of. I'm going to be honest and say I think it was one of the .Hack//Sign animes. Something like the bro and sis didn't grow up with each other and where getting to know each other in the game. It just got weird. Like him winning a kiss from his sister, her getting testy when he got close to other girls, they hugged naked once at a hot spring. It was all like ok this is to much for me. I'm out! xD That's what I can remember in least. It was a long time ago so my memory is hazy. It's probably not even as bad as I'm making it sound. It just creeped me out.

This most likely was .hack//Dusk (or more commonly known Stateside as //Legend of the Twilight), which is only really related to //Sign by name. :lol: [SIZE="1"](Note that .hack is the series, and the //*insert name here* is the title of that particular portion to the series...all have interrelating parts, such as //Dusk following the PS2 games, which follow after //Sign, and there are definite canon and non-canon portions to the series, some of which the .hack//Dusk anime falls under, as the manga is the official canon for that portion.) [/SIZE] I do recall the anime being different to the manga (and looking at the wiki, this is true - "Although the first 4 episodes of the anime follow the same story as the manga, minus a few changes, the stories diverge greatly later on." (Source.)

So I can't really defend the .hack//Dusk anime, since it is less of canon than its manga counterpart is and I never saw it through, trying to keep up with the rest of the series.

I'll be honest though, .hack is the longest running franchise series that I've followed and loved the majority of. It's definitely one that takes a lot of patience to wind through the twisting curves of never-ending un-answered questions that to this day I am still piecing through, at least six years later.
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby ADXC » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:45 pm

FLCL is a bad anime? Blasphemy! XDDDD
ADXC

Postby Tenchi » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:58 am

Hm... My contribution to this thread would be Galaxy Angel. A complete waste of my time that I wonder why I ever watched that made no sense what-so-ever. I'd agree with Powerpuff Girls Z being terrible as well. Sometimes I wonder why I watch series all the way through, but I just somehow always have to finish what I started. Galaxy Angel is probably the only series I just stopped, although I'm sure many of the series mentioned are just as terrible.
One Piece teaches me to strive for my dreams with all my might.

Clannad teaches me the importance of love and family.

So live strong and realize your dreams, but don't forsake those around you. :cool:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tenchi

Postby Nate » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:02 am

Princess Kairi wrote:There was no plot whatsoever!

You say this as if it's a bad thing.

There was never a plot in Seinfeld and it's one of the greatest television shows to have ever aired.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:08 am

Yeah, all the people who are complaining about Slice of Life stuff not having a plot are missing the point. If it isn't your thing, that's cool, but complaining about Lucky Star not having a plot is missing the point of the show. It's like complaining about a space opera not having magic in it.

Oh, I don't know how I missed it but you people who don't like Black*Star don't get how he is actually the best character in the show
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:11 am

Destroyer2000 (post: 1495333) wrote:I've seen Fist of the North Star called many things, but never good.
Fist of the North Star is good. Seriously. I am totally sincere. It's one of my top ten favorite shows ever. Here's a screenshot from my MAL as further proof of my genuineness:

As you can see, I rated all things Fist of the North Star a 9 except one OAV, which I gave an 8.

Also, Fist of the North Star is great.

[SIZE="1"]...though I guess it is not for everyone...but it should be...[/SIZE]
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby teigeki_calesa » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:44 am

ShiroiHikari (post: 1495062) wrote:Also, Gundam SEED. F that show.

Uh....(timid voice) is that you or your UC fanboy self I just heard?
Excuse my blinking, just got too many shifts this week.
teigeki_calesa

Postby Wolf-man » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:39 am

Can we stop talking about Chobits? I mean if he thinks it is the worst anime then he is allowed to think that. I don't mean to sound like a mod or anything I just don't like the fact that it seems like evertime someone gives a negative opinion on something popular they get tons of reply posts that say "I disagree with you!!!!!!" and it is kind of unnecessary.

Anyway, onto my list of the worst anime:
I feel that it is important to list a certain director because I hate all of his films: Makoto Shinkai. I cannot stand his movies at least the two that I have seen which are 5 Centimeters Per Second and Vocies of a Distant Star. Now before I explain why I hate them I will say that his animation is beautiful, I won't deny that. However, his stories are so depressing and hopeless that I find myself hating myself for watching them. I shouldn't feel miserable after watching any kind of entertainment but especially not romance. I even started to like 5 Centimeters Per Second. The first story was really good but the second and third stories were just awful. I feel like Makoto got dumped as a teenager and never got over it.

Strait-Jacket I watched this random anime OVA (put together into one movie on TV) hoping that it might be cool. I was horribly wrong but being the movie masochist I am I had kept watching through a really bad story and crappy dialog. To be honest it was horrible that I can barley remember much about it but it is one of two things that I gave a 1 rating on in MAL.

Lastly is Excel Saga A weird drug trip of a show that made me sick to my stomach. I really don't understand what I was watching just that there was this woman who kept coughing up blood and she looked like she was going to die from overdosing at any second. stupid, weird, annoying.

I almost forgot FLCL Bad, bad, bad, bad, and terrible even.
My friend had me sit down and watch this atrocity and I will admit that it was funny for the first half episode then it was just stupid. I mean between the falic imagery and annoying characters the show was laced with terrible dialog and unfunny jokes. The robot poops out the kid, really? Good now people can be mad at me XD j/k just my opinion you don't have to agree, my friend certainly doesn't.
Wolf-man

Postby Cognitive Gear » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:02 am

Wolf-man (post: 1495439) wrote:I feel that it is important to list a certain director because I hate all of his films: Makoto Shinkai. I cannot stand his movies at least the two that I have seen which are 5 Centimeters Per Second and Vocies of a Distant Star. Now before I explain why I hate them I will say that his animation is beautiful, I won't deny that. However, his stories are so depressing and hopeless that I find myself hating myself for watching them. I shouldn't feel miserable after watching any kind of entertainment but especially not romance. I even started to like 5 Centimeters Per Second. The first story was really good but the second and third stories were just awful. I feel like Makoto got dumped as a teenager and never got over it.

So would you say that every story should end on a high note? Should anime stray away from the tougher times in life? (I ask these questions genuinely, I'm always interested to hear about why people don't like things, even when they are of high quality.)
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:20 am

Wolf-man (post: 1495439) wrote:I don't mean to sound like a mod or anything I just don't like the fact that it seems like evertime someone gives a negative opinion on something popular they get tons of reply posts that say "I disagree with you!!!!!!" and it is kind of unnecessary.
I think that as long as the one who disagrees is only asking for arguments/evidence to back up the original poster's opinion and doesn't turn it into a personal attack, then there's really nothing wrong with it. An example would be something like: "Wolf-man, I like FLCL. Why do you dislike it enough to consider it one of the worst anime?" This seems pretty benign to me.

Let's not discourage discourse about anime.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby ADXC » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:05 am

Wolf-man (post: 1495439) wrote:
Anyway, onto my list of the worst anime:
I feel that it is important to list a certain director because I hate all of his films: Makoto Shinkai. I cannot stand his movies at least the two that I have seen which are 5 Centimeters Per Second and Vocies of a Distant Star. Now before I explain why I hate them I will say that his animation is beautiful, I won't deny that. However, his stories are so depressing and hopeless that I find myself hating myself for watching them. I shouldn't feel miserable after watching any kind of entertainment but especially not romance. I even started to like 5 Centimeters Per Second. The first story was really good but the second and third stories were just awful. I feel like Makoto got dumped as a teenager and never got over it.

Lastly is Excel Saga A weird drug trip of a show that made me sick to my stomach. I really don't understand what I was watching just that there was this woman who kept coughing up blood and she looked like she was going to die from overdosing at any second. stupid, weird, annoying.

I almost forgot FLCL Bad, bad, bad, bad, and terrible even.
My friend had me sit down and watch this atrocity and I will admit that it was funny for the first half episode then it was just stupid. I mean between the falic imagery and annoying characters the show was laced with terrible dialog and unfunny jokes. The robot poops out the kid, really? Good now people can be mad at me XD j/k just my opinion you don't have to agree, my friend certainly doesn't.

Wow, so much hate towards your post. XDDDDD

Shinkai is awesome, if you can't handle it well then...

Excell Saga? Really? That was one of the FUNNIEST and most crazy anime I have ever seen. XDD It's not bad. I have TONS of friends who would say the same thing. If you do not get Excell Saga, then you probably should just stay away from that whole genre. The show is meant to be crazy and give some satire toward the Japanese culture at the time.

FLCL, again I completely disagree. But then again some like it and some don't.
ADXC

Postby Nate » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:21 am

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs wrote:Yeah, all the people who are complaining about Slice of Life stuff not having a plot are missing the point. If it isn't your thing, that's cool, but complaining about Lucky Star not having a plot is missing the point of the show. It's like complaining about a space opera not having magic in it.

Pretty much. I can understand not being into shows that have no plot (I'm cool with them but it can easily be done very poorly) but that doesn't automatically make them bad. As I said, Seinfeld...I've met people who hate Seinfeld but to deny the influence it's had on pop culture as well as the strength of the characters is just odd.

That being said...
I mean if he thinks it is the worst anime then he is allowed to think that.

I think the problem here is what are we discussing? The title is "Worst anime ever," not "Worst anime in your opinion." If something is going to be the worst anime ever, it needs to be something that there's a huge majority consensus on...and Chobits doesn't have that, probably because Chobits is competently animated and while the plot isn't stellar, is serviceable. In other words, it doesn't fail in absolutely every area a series can fail in (art, animation, music, voice acting, plot, characterization, and probably a few others). If it isn't terrible in ALL these areas, how can it be the worst anime ever?

It may be the worst anime she's seen, but that doesn't make it the worst anime ever.

Excel Saga is another good example. I hate Excel Saga. I think it's awful. But do I think it's the worst anime ever? That might be a bit of a stretch. As bad as it is, there has to be far worse out there. Something like, to use an example I'm only familiar with due to internet reviewers, Garzey's Wing, which looks to be atrocious in every possible area you can judge an anime by. And I'm willing to bet even THAT isn't the worst ever.

Nate

Postby goldenspines » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:22 am

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1495410) wrote:Yeah, all the people who are complaining about Slice of Life stuff not having a plot are missing the point. If it isn't your thing, that's cool, but complaining about Lucky Star not having a plot is missing the point of the show. It's like complaining about a space opera not having magic in it.

Oh, I don't know how I missed it but you people who don't like Black*Star don't get how he is actually the best character in the show
You get two thumbs up for both of your points.

[size=75]Fine, I'll go try to watch Hidamari Sketch again. >_>]

In regards to Wolf-man's concerns, I do see his point. Though, there might not be a way around it. In a thread called "The Worst Anime", it is likely that many or us, if not all of us will disagree with one another.

For example! 5 Centimeters Per Second was a beautifully made anime, but carried a very depressing storyline. For this reason, because I very much like happy endings, I didn't like it very well and I thought the main male lead was a jerk. XD; Though, this does not make it the worst anime. The animation was beautiful and I could relate to the story of one of the side-ish characters, Kanae.
Behind every dark storm cloud of depression, there is a silver lining.

*is shot for being too cheesy* XD

EDIT: Nate ninja'd me!
goldenspines

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:49 am

Just so long as we're all agreed on the greatest anime of all time.
Fish and Chips

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:51 am

Nate (post: 1495477) wrote:Pretty much. I can understand not being into shows that have no plot (I'm cool with them but it can easily be done very poorly) but that doesn't automatically make them bad. As I said, Seinfeld...I've met people who hate Seinfeld but to deny the influence it's had on pop culture as well as the strength of the characters is just odd.

This is how I feel about people who declare Neon Genesis Evangelion to be the worst anime of all time just in an attempt to be controversial.

Sure, I can see why people dislike it, and why people try to dismiss it, but to deny the massive effect it had on the anime industry in general as well as its deconstruction of every mecha anime trope seems very strange to me.

Primarily when many of the reasons people hate it is because it doesn't play those mecha tropes straight, which always makes me facepalm.
Yamamaya

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:52 am

Fish and Chips (post: 1495487) wrote:Just so long as we're all agreed on the greatest anime of all time.

A truly amazing series.

It's even better than Infinite Stratos, if such a thing is even possible.
Yamamaya

Postby Wallachia » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:56 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1495487) wrote:greatest anime of all time.

This is better than Mr. Ando of the Woods. I should bookmark this...

Wallachia

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:43 pm

Wallachia (post: 1495499) wrote:This is better than Mr. Ando of the Woods. I should bookmark this...

Just whatever you do, do NOT watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGD-mFTY6mw&feature=related
Yamamaya

Postby blkmage » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:51 pm

I have to wonder how many people have really watched any truly bad anime. Like, for the most part, I imagine most people watch very few bad anime out of their own volition.

I mean, when your worst anime are Lucky Star or FLCL or 5 Centimeters per Second or Evangelion, I don't think you've watched enough anime to have enough of a perspective on what's bad.

That's not a slight against those people, since I guess they're lucky that they're watching relatively decent stuff, but I don't know, if you think those are the bottom of the barrel, anime that is actually bad might trigger vomiting or something if you're not prepared.
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:57 pm

blkmage (post: 1495527) wrote:That's not a slight against those people, since I guess they're lucky that they're watching relatively decent stuff, but I don't know, if you think those are the bottom of the barrel, anime that is actually bad might trigger vomiting or something if you're not prepared.
I'm Dracula!
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby rocklobster » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:54 pm

Here's one that I'm sure no one here will disagree with: Ninja Scroll. It's borderline hentai. The only reason it exists is because anime distributors wanted to distance themselves as far from the kid-friendly cartoons Disney and others were releasing at the time. Yes, it's so important that we do this. Is it any wonder that parents think anime is evil?
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Nate » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:01 pm

rocklobster wrote:Here's one that I'm sure no one here will disagree with: Ninja Scroll.

Ninja Scroll is one of my favorite anime of all time. It's also pretty objectively good, it's received critical acclaim.

Let's put it this way:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ninja-scroll/

It currently holds a 100% positive rating among critics, and 86% among 50,000 users. It's safe to say Ninja Scroll is literally nowhere near close to the worst anime ever.

Nate

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:13 pm

Methinks Rock is thinking of Ninja Resurrection, which, if it's what he's thinking of, I would agree with since it's one of the worst I've seen as well. Resurrection isn't related to Scroll in any way though, except in the minds of american marketing staff.

PS If anyone's curious... really think twice before looking up Resurrection. It's pretty disturbing.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Nate » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:17 pm

No, I'm pretty sure he's talking about Ninja Scroll, which does have a semi-rape scene in it (the dude gets killed before he can ACTUALLY do anything to her) and a sex scene later on. I've never seen Ninja Resurrection, but you're right in that it has nothing to do with the original Ninja Scroll aside from being marketed as such in the US, and it's pretty universally reviled by fans and critics alike.

So Ninja Resurrection is conceivably in the running for worst anime ever...but not Ninja Scroll.

Nate

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:18 pm

blkmage (post: 1495527) wrote:I have to wonder how many people have really watched any truly bad anime. Like, for the most part, I imagine most people watch very few bad anime out of their own volition.

I mean, when your worst anime are Lucky Star or FLCL or 5 Centimeters per Second or Evangelion, I don't think you've watched enough anime to have enough of a perspective on what's bad.

That's not a slight against those people, since I guess they're lucky that they're watching relatively decent stuff, but I don't know, if you think those are the bottom of the barrel, anime that is actually bad might trigger vomiting or something if you're not prepared.

I feel the same way. I haven't watched many anime series that set off my crap radar. Most of the "bad" series I've watched were mediocre rather than terrible.

One explanation for this is that most of the series that get the most exposure and licensing are either good or mediocre. Some of the most terrible shows either don't get licensed or get little exposure, save for those memematic shows that are so bad they're good.

Of course, this is much more applicable to VNs. Only good VNs tend to get english patches from translation groups. Nobody wants to bother with the ones that suck.
Yamamaya

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:19 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1495487) wrote:Just so long as we're all agreed on the greatest anime of all time.

Disco Genki Dama.

Thank you.
Yamamaya (post: 1495490) wrote:to deny the massive effect it had on the anime industry in general
Actually, I think most of the people who dislike Eva, rather than denying its influence, dislike it because it had such an overly large effect on the industry in Japan. They just didn't like the manner in which it influenced things.
as well as its deconstruction of every mecha anime trope seems very strange to me.

Primarily when many of the reasons people hate it is because it doesn't play those mecha tropes straight, which always makes me facepalm.
Again, most people that I know who dislike the show don't dislike it for what it doesn't do, but for the things it does.

This is probably far enough to take the Eva-specific discussion without hijacking the thread. Feel free to PM.

And, for the record, while I'm not a huge Eva fan, I don't think it's anywhere close to the worst anime ever.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Kitsune » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:47 pm

No, I'm pretty sure that wasn't it if you are talking about the anime I don't remember the name of. I'm going to be honest and say I think it was one of the .Hack//Sign animes. Something like the bro and sis didn't grow up with each other and where getting to know each other in the game. It just got weird. Like him winning a kiss from his sister, her getting testy when he got close to other girls, they hugged naked once at a hot spring. It was all like ok this is to much for me. I'm out! xD That's what I can remember in least. It was a long time ago so my memory is hazy. It's probably not even as bad as I'm making it sound. It just creeped me out.

Okami hit it right on the nose. What you saw was .Hack//Dusk (or Legend of the Twilight), which did indeed have its issues. (and should be noted that it should NOT be compared to the rest of the .hack franchise or represent what the other series/games/manga are like because they are drastically different). and in all honesty the anime made the relationship between the two main characters (indeed brother and sister) rather weird as far as I remember. I don't remember the manga making it strange like that. So yeah, Dusk was not so great, the rest of the .hack series (in my opinion) is amazing. It gives really interesting characters and really messes with your head to no end XD
[color="Red"]Jim Butcher has forever corrupted my mind! ...and I have absolutely no problem with that 8D[/color]
Kitsune

Postby Atria35 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:01 am

Thanks, guys. I had completely forgotten that I had watched Ninja Resurrection because I wanted to purge it from my brain. Now I have to relive that horrible trainwreck of stupidity and nonsense that it was.
Atria35

Postby Wolf-man » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:16 am

Cognitive Gear (post: 1495449) wrote:So would you say that every story should end on a high note? Should anime stray away from the tougher times in life? (I ask these questions genuinely, I'm always interested to hear about why people don't like things, even when they are of high quality.)

Well it depends on what you mean by "should end on a high note" or "stray from the tougher times". I don't necessarily think that every anime should end on a "everything is right with the world" kind of ending however I kind of want an at least semi-happy ending to my stories. I mean this is entertainment first and foremost so I want to enjoy myself by watching it and finishing it. I don't want to be depressed and feel awful about myself after watching any kind of movie. Take Death Note's ending for example: [SPOILER]Light finally gets what he deserves and is shot down like the dog he is and then the show ends with him dying on a staircase after Ryuk uses the Death Note on him.[/SPOILER] This is not exactly a "happy" ending necessarily but it is a satisfying one. When I read or watch Romance I at the very least want some hope at the end for happiness. I mean that is realistic is it not? As Christians we have the hope of eternal peace and happiness at the end of our lives. Obviously, I'm not asking for every anime to be about the reward of heaven for they are made by secular men but the two Shinkai anime that I have seen have left me empty with no hope for the main character other than to lead a loveless life. I don't think that anime should "stray from tougher times" as you said but I also don't want most of the anime to make me feel awful for most of it. Hey I love Grave of Fireflies it is a great film and for anyone who has seen it they know that it is far from a happy movie but it still shows the wonderful love these siblings have for each other and how they could support each other through horrible times.

TheSubtleDoctor wrote:I think that as long as the one who disagrees is only asking for arguments/evidence to back up the original poster's opinion and doesn't turn it into a personal attack, then there's really nothing wrong with it. An example would be something like: "Wolf-man, I like FLCL. Why do you dislike it enough to consider it one of the worst anime?" This seems pretty benign to me.

Let's not discourage discourse about anime.

I guess what I'm saying is that topic is supposed to be about what you consider the worst anime ever. It didn't strike me as a debate thread where you would have to defend your reasoning. I mean its one thing if you simply ask that question and be done with the person's answer but it doesn't end there. People will give an answer and others will seem to say that it is not good enough and give reasons why they are wrong.
Also, despite what Nate says about this topic not being "not "Worst anime in your opinion" it is heavily implied like it is in all topics like this. Whenever anyone asks anyone what they consider the worst or best of something it is always going to be your opinion.
Wolf-man

Postby Kaori » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:30 am

I do think there is a meaningful distinction to be made between “things I personally dislike” and things that are actually bad. Those people who are discussing whether certain titles ought to be considered the "Worst Anime Ever" are doing so under the assumption that "worst" means "most poorly executed"—like having poor plot, characterization, animation, voice acting, and music—rather than something that people dislike based solely on personal preference. For example, I personally disliked Ninja Scroll because of its content, but that has nothing to do with its relative artistic merit. Actually, as Nate mentioned, it’s widely considered to have a great deal of merit, so there is no reason it should be in the running for “Worst Anime Ever.”

Wolf-man (post: 1495766) wrote:When I read or watch Romance I at the very least want some hope at the end for happiness. I mean that is realistic is it not?
Honestly, no, I don’]I didn't like [5 cm/s] very well and I thought the main male lead was a jerk. XD; [/QUOTE]What was it that made Takaki come across as a jerk to you? I’m just curious, because I didn’t get that impression.

Going back to the original question, I don’t think I have seen anything that really deserves to be called the “Worst Anime Ever,” but I can agree that the X/1999 movie was pretty awful, for reasons that TSD already adequately explained.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews