Worst anime ever!

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Nate » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:35 pm

Otaku Jordan wrote:My vote goes to Speed Racer.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby seaglass27 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:01 pm

Nate (post: 1498399) wrote:Image

Very funny, Nate. Very funny. :shake:

I suppose I should have listed some reasons for my dislike of the Speed Racer series. Here's an excerpt from the review I wrote of it:

"Let me begin by mentioning that it was a little hard coming up with a plot summary for this series, for the simple reason that it really doesn’t have a plot. Instead of a continuous storyline, the episodes are broken up into two-part segments. One episode is a cliff-hanger, and the next is a follow-up. After that the cycle begins again. Except for sharing a few main characters, these segments are completely unrelated. I like watching shows with strong plots, so this really hurt the series’ rating.

And as my sister, who watched the series with me, pointed out, the show is pretty predictable. In nearly every episode, a pretty girl either deceives Speed or is rescued by him. It doesn’t take long for that to get old.

The animation isn’t that great either. Keeping in mind that this show is from the 60s (need I say more?), the quality of the artwork is still disappointing. There is a certain nostalgia to the drawing style, though, that may hold some appeal for you."
seaglass27

Postby Vii » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:12 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1497463) wrote:I would like to point out that "Amestris" is not based on Germany. While the country of the first anime is definitely supposed to be alternate dimension Nazis, the country in that anime is unnamed. Amestris, the name of the country in Arakawa's manga and in Brotherhood, is based off of England, while the genocide that most people assume is a Holocaust parallel is actually based on the plight of the Ainu. Both of these are mentioned in the omakes of the manga.

Just thought I'd point that out for people who don't read the manga.

Ooooh. That makes sense. I guess it's because I watched the 2003 series first that I always thought it was Germany.
I haven't finished Brotherhood yet so I haven't looked into it much for fear of spoiling the rest of the series.
Vii

Postby Atria35 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:14 pm

Otaku Jordan (post: 1498401) wrote:And as my sister, who watched the series with me, pointed out, the show is pretty predictable. In nearly every episode, a pretty girl either deceives Speed or is rescued by him. It doesn’t take long for that to get old.

While that may make it boring, I don't think that necessarily makes it bad. You could say that most shows are repeptitive- Detective Conan is all about a crime being committed and him solving it. Dragon Ball and the like are all about defeating the next opponent. It's how it's done that make them entertaining and worth watching.
Atria35

Postby Nate » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:02 pm

Otaku Jordan wrote:Let me begin by mentioning that it was a little hard coming up with a plot summary for this series, for the simple reason that it really doesn’t have a plot.

"Speed Racer is a racer who often runs afoul of villains and gangs in his races, alongside his girlfriend Trixie and his younger brother Spritle and Chim-Chim, Spritle's pet monkey. Fortunately, Speed drives the Mach 5, a special car filled with all sorts of features that allow him to avoid the obstacles his enemies throw at him and help win the race! Speed also often races against the mysterious masked racer, Racer X, who unbeknownst to Speed is actually secretly his older brother Rex, who went into hiding after Pops refused to let him race professionally."

It took me all of about five minutes to write that plot summary and I didn't find it difficult at all aside from having to use Google to find out how to correctly spell Spritle's name.

Seriously, Speed Racer is a classic. I'm not going to say it's one of the best shows ever. I won't even say you have to like it, because you obviously don't...and that's fine! But it's a masterpiece compared to a lot of the titles people have been mentioning in here.

Nate

Postby seaglass27 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:11 pm

Nate (post: 1498644) wrote:Seriously, Speed Racer is a classic. I'm not going to say it's one of the best shows ever. I won't even say you have to like it, because you obviously don't...and that's fine! But it's a masterpiece compared to a lot of the titles people have been mentioning in here.

That could very well be true. Most of the people on these forums seems to have watched way more anime than I, so there are probably worse ones out there that I just haven't seen yet. Perhaps this thread's title should have been "Worst Anime You Have Ever Seen."
seaglass27

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:21 pm

Otaku Jordan (post: 1498646) wrote:That could very well be true. Most of the people on these forums seems to have watched way more anime than I, so there are probably worse ones out there that I just haven't seen yet. Perhaps this thread's title should have been "Worst Anime You Have Ever Seen."
Why should it be? The purpose of the discussion was to try and find the worst anime that exists, or at least come close to guessing a possible nominee. I will remind you...

blkmage (post: 1495527) wrote:I have to wonder how many people have really watched any truly bad anime. Like, for the most part, I imagine most people watch very few bad anime out of their own volition.

I mean, when your worst anime are Lucky Star or FLCL or 5 Centimeters per Second or Evangelion, I don't think you've watched enough anime to have enough of a perspective on what's bad.

That's not a slight against those people, since I guess they're lucky that they're watching relatively decent stuff, but I don't know, if you think those are the bottom of the barrel, anime that is actually bad might trigger vomiting or something if you're not prepared.

Saying Speed Racer is the worst anime ever means you've seen a ridiculously small amount of anime, let alone bad ones. Again, none of the people who can say 5 cm/s is the worst anime they've ever seen are really qualified to be making a judgement in this thread. None of these people have seen Odin: Space Sailer Photon Starlight, X/1999, or Hidan no Aria. I cannot imagine what it would be like if FLCL was the worst anime I'd ever seen; I'd have pretty much seen top-tier stuff.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby bakura91 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:24 pm

You gotta remember Speed Racer is from i think 1966 so for the time as it was TV animation the animation was great quality for that time. Japanese TV animation was very new then and being aimed at kids of course. I LOVE how every episode plays out like a two part pulp adventure me being a fan of those type of books and stories.
bakura91

Postby Maokun » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:33 pm

Man, this thread has been a blast. Not in falsehood the great Anton Ego spoke: "Negative criticism is fun to write and fun to read."

Things I've got off this thread:

-Nate may or may not be my soulmate
-blkmage is, as always, right. So much people have seen so little anime. I agree they should feel fortunate not to have seen the worst there is out there, but their opinion in this specific thread automatically lacks weight.
-People actually can hate things I personally thought were above criticism
-If people's excuse for not liking FLCL is not understanding it, I can categorically tell you that it's your fault for not trying enough. FLCL has a wealth of meaning layers and it's only as you get close to the core that you are suddenly blinded by its sheer brilliance. Several rewatches might be needed. (Also, the scene alone where Canti/atomsk stops that giant robot with a single hand as the music explodes is enough to put the series among the best ever.)

Anyhow, here's a few of my own. There was a time where I was really starved for anime and watched anything I could put my hands on; in addition, I'm a sucker for punishment, so I'm pretty sure you'll find the following list suitably appalling in its length.

Compiler
Baki, the Grappler
Biohunter
Demon City Shinjuku
Crayon Shin Chan (God, I never could understand why anyone would watch more than two seconds of this and I liked Super Milk Chan.)

And since valiant souls already mentioned the sin against nature, goodness and reason that Eiken is, I'll throw in Cosprayers and Agent Aika to keep it company.

I'm ready to provide reasoning for any of my choices if required, but really, the less it's talked about these, the better for everyone.
Maokun

Postby ADXC » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:58 pm

Lol Shin Chan is hilarious. That's why. XD

But not everyone can be a man though....

;)
ADXC

Postby Maokun » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:15 pm

All I hear is "not everyone can watch such eye-bleeding animation though..."

If you can, I commend you on the steel-like nature of your retinae, good sir.
Maokun

Postby ADXC » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:31 pm

It's not the animation that I like; it's the comedy, satire, and pop-culture references. XD

Of course the animation is horrible, but I still like it the show regardless.
ADXC

Postby Maokun » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:41 am

For those features, I patronize the much more pleasant looking Lucky Star, which also spares me the antics of bizarrely precocious brats. Anyhow, to each their own.
Maokun

Postby Juliannesan » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:04 am

Maokun (post: 1499466) wrote:For those features, I patronize the much more pleasant looking Lucky Star, which also spares me the antics of bizarrely precocious brats. Anyhow, to each their own.

Indeed!
Do you have a MAL [My Anime List] acct, by any chance? I'm interested to see your ratings on other shows.
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby crusader88 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:34 am

Worst ever? The worst I've ever seen was Ninja Scroll. The official CAA review is right: there were no less than four times that secular classic almost made me lose my lunch.
...you must begin a reading program immediately so that you may understand the crises of our age... Begin with the late Romans, including Boethius, of course. Then you should dip rather extensively into early Medieval. You may skip the Renaissance and the Enlightenment. That is mostly dangerous propaganda. Now that I think of it, you had better skip the Romantics and the Victorians too. For the contemporary period, you should study some selected comic books.

-Ignatius J. Reilly, in John Kennedy Toole's A Confederacy of Dunces, 1960s

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
crusader88

Postby Maokun » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:53 pm

Juliannesan (post: 1499471) wrote:Indeed!
Do you have a MAL [My Anime List] acct, by any chance? I'm interested to see your ratings on other shows.

Ah yeah, I keep meaning to add it to my sig and forgetting. I'll do it now :)

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Pylgrim
Maokun

Postby Neane » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:53 am

Maokun (post: 1499450) wrote:Man, this thread has been a blast. Not in falsehood the great Anton Ego spoke: "Negative criticism is fun to write and fun to read."

Things I've got off this thread:

-Nate may or may not be my soulmate
-blkmage is, as always, right. So much people have seen so little anime. I agree they should feel fortunate not to have seen the worst there is out there, but their opinion in this specific thread automatically lacks weight.
-People actually can hate things I personally thought were above criticism
-If people's excuse for not liking FLCL is not understanding it, I can categorically tell you that it's your fault for not trying enough. FLCL has a wealth of meaning layers and it's only as you get close to the core that you are suddenly blinded by its sheer brilliance. Several rewatches might be needed. (Also, the scene alone where Canti/atomsk stops that giant robot with a single hand as the music explodes is enough to put the series among the best ever.)

Anyhow, here's a few of my own. There was a time where I was really starved for anime and watched anything I could put my hands on]liked[/I] Super Milk Chan.)

And since valiant souls already mentioned the sin against nature, goodness and reason that Eiken is, I'll throw in Cosprayers and Agent Aika to keep it company.

I'm ready to provide reasoning for any of my choices if required, but really, the less it's talked about these, the better for everyone.

Agent Aika? It's 10 Time Better than Rosario + Vampire! (And if you want terrible FanService and the ruining of a plot, watch Re: Cutie Honey. They ruined the great classic.)
And I like Demon City Shinjukuis. Please PM as to the reasons. That said, I believe that there is no Worst Anime Ever. And I looked at your list, and you don't have Genocyber (GORE BABY, GORE! And the Ruining of a plot within only 3 episodes!) and Violence Jack on your list. And Crayon Shin Chan is super funny!

That Said, I believe that there is no Anime on the Level of "Troll 2" or "Leonard part VI" or "BIRDEMIC - Shock and Terror" or "Titanic 2".........................other than Roots Search: Life Devourer X. That anime is just terrible along with Eiken.
Neane

Postby Maokun » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:56 am

Alright, it seems that you have threaded even darker depths than I. I'm pretty sure that I'd agree with you had I seen any of the titles you mention -just by being called "Genocyber" you can tell how terrible it is. Am I wrong in supposing it's an 80's series?

As for Demo-wait, what? Titanic 2?

*Checks imdb*

How... why... what the...

Sorry, I'm going to need a moment.

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby Juliannesan » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:05 am

Maokun (post: 1499645) wrote:Alright, it seems that you have threaded even darker depths than I. I'm pretty sure that I'd agree with you had I seen any of the titles you mention -just by being called "Genocyber" you can tell how terrible it is. Am I wrong in supposing it's an 80's series?

*Checks imdb*

Hahah, I will laugh if there's a Titanic 2 anime. I know there is a new Titanic movie out, but I haven't watched it.

Anyway....

Wow! I thought I had watched a lot of anime, and I noticed that I have nothing compared to you! Yikes! When did you start watching anime?
I started about 9 years ago, but more so over the past 5 or so years.

I added you on MAL, btw.
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby Neane » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:07 am

Maokun (post: 1499645) wrote:Alright, it seems that you have threaded even darker depths than I. I'm pretty sure that I'd agree with you had I seen any of the titles you mention -just by being called "Genocyber" you can tell how terrible it is. Am I wrong in supposing it's an 80's series?

*Checks imdb*

You are wrong about the 80's part. It was made in 93 to 94. Actually, apart from the PURE GORE and the ruining of the plot: It is a Perfect Cyberpunk anime. And Violence Jack.... Elfen Lied has NOTHING on Violence Jack in the amount of PURE GORE. (These are not the best anime out there. In fact, yeah: They are bad.)

Edit: Juliannesan, I just have that Animelist for Show. I have the anime list I have seen on my Main Computer. And I started watching anime when I was seven and actually watched the Ninja Scroll Tv Series when I was a teen. My First Online Anime was Now and Then, Here and There when I was around 10. You have no idea how slow it took. No Idea at all. But now that I have High Speed Internet, I am going to the depths of the Internet to find Anime.

But I still stand with Roots Search: Life Devourer X and Eiken as the Worst Anime Ever.
Neane

Postby Nate » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:07 am

Maokun wrote:-Nate may or may not be my soulmate

Oh you flatterer. I bet you say that to all the girls! *blush* Kiss me you fool!
crusader88 wrote:The worst I've ever seen was Ninja Scroll.

Wow, if the classic Ninja Scroll is the worst you've ever seen, you should feel honored! It means you've never actually seen a bad anime before!

I'm waiting for someone to come in and say that something like Spirited Away is the worst anime they've seen because everything else they've seen is just that much more superior to it.

But at least it seems everyone is in agreement that Eiken has literally no redeeming value whatsoever.

Nate

Postby blkmage » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:18 am

We've already had 5 Centimeters per Second and Princess Mononoke mentioned. Spirited Away is a stone's throw away.
blkmage

Postby Neane » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:19 am

Eiken has nothing good or any redeeming value at all. It is the Worst Anime Ever Made in the History of Mankind.
Neane

Postby Juliannesan » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:34 am

Neane (post: 1499647) wrote:
Edit: Juliannesan, I just have that Animelist for Show. I have the anime list I have seen on my Main Computer. And I started watching anime when I was seven and actually watched the Ninja Scroll Tv Series when I was a teen. My First Online Anime was Now and Then, Here and There when I was around 10. You have no idea how slow it took. No Idea at all. But now that I have High Speed Internet, I am going to the depths of the Internet to find Anime.

But I still stand with Roots Search: Life Devourer X and Eiken as the Worst Anime Ever.

Oh, I was actually asking, Mao-kun. But that's interesting as well! I actually started watching Superbook when I was a littlelittle kid, and my parents didn't even know it was an anime. Then I started watching Yu-Gi-Oh!, Digimon and so forth when I was 14. I watched Kenshin for the first time when I was 15. And I even have fanfictions about it... hahaha.
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby TWWK » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:10 pm

*looks at anime list*

My lowest rated anime were Ninja Scroll, Elfen Lied, and Yosuga no Sora, though the ratings were based more on graphic content (presented in a stupid/shocking/ridiculous way) than on the content, though I think all are pretty bad. My lowest rated series not necessarily based on that kind of content are Boys Be, Tenchi in Tokyo, and Shuffle.
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby Nate » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:12 pm

Oooh, Tenchi in Tokyo. I watched 15 minutes of the first episode of Tenchi in Tokyo. My response?

Nate

Postby Wolf-man » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:43 pm

lol I liked Tenchi in Tokyo...of course I haven't seen it since I was like 11 or 12 when it first came to Toonami. So my opinion might change if I watched it now...:grin:
Wolf-man

Postby Nate » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:48 pm

It's pretty bad in my opinion, but nowhere near worst ever. Then again I tend to hate any iteration of Tenchi that isn't the OAVs.

Nate

Postby Neane » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:49 pm

TWWK (post: 1499716) wrote:*looks at anime list*

My lowest rated anime were Ninja Scroll, Elfen Lied, and Yosuga no Sora, though the ratings were based more on graphic content (presented in a stupid/shocking/ridiculous way) than on the content, though I think all are pretty bad. My lowest rated series not necessarily based on that kind of content are Boys Be, Tenchi in Tokyo, and Shuffle.

I had Tenchi in Tokyo successfully wiped from my brain. And now it is back in my mind. :comp:
Neane

Postby Wolf-man » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:15 pm

Wow I honestly don't remember it being that bad. Again though I don't remember much of Tenchi at all so it probably was. I should re-watch all of those...hmmm...except they would be uncensored...well I guess I can skip the hot spring episode.
Wolf-man

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews