Worst anime ever!

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Worst anime ever!

Postby rocklobster » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:16 am

I believe it is impossible to like every anime you watch. I've encountered a few I didn't like...at all. So, what are the worst wastes of time in anime?
For me: Super Milk-Chan. It made my brain cells cry in agony as they died from its stupidity. OK, I'm exaggerating, but trust me, it is BAD!
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby aliveinHim » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:10 am

Chobits. It's perverted and stupid and all around bad.
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby Atria35 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:49 am

aliveinHim (post: 1494072) wrote:Chobits. It's perverted and stupid and all around bad.

I honestly thought it was a decent show. While it did have fanservice, it also explored themes of love (can a human love a machine), whether a machine can have emotions at a certain point, etc... I mean, it wasn't Asimov in it's execution, but some of the ways it told these stories were very touching.

I will put forth Kemeko DX- a cute girl in an ugly exoskeleton/suit that looks like an ugly lady, the use of completely generic (and sometimes outright stupid and mean) characters, and all of the humor is just sooooo sooooo bad. 3 Stooges if you added a chainsaw and abuse.
Atria35

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:05 pm

aliveinHim (post: 1494072) wrote:Chobits. It's perverted and stupid and all around bad.

[color=RoyalBlue]While I acknowledge that this is your own opinion, I have to disagree. While it is true that "Chobits" has it's perverted moments, it's played more for gags than to titillate and that does not makeup the overall scope of the story itself. In fact, it's rather tame compared to the manga. In reality, there are shows out there that are WAY more intense than "Chobits" with regards to the perversity with plots that don't come anywhere near its complexity. Perverted "Chobits" may be, but stupid and all around bad are monikers that this series do not deserve, at least not without a good argument to prove the point.

::Steps off his soapbox and puts it away::

That being said, I have three that I would like to submit to the list:

1. "Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-Chan" - I admit, this one is in my anime collection, but regulated to "back shelf" status. Now, I'm not one to get squeamish over blood and stuff, but good-freaking-grief! The plot of this story is about as nonsensical as you can get, the characters are pretty much one dimensional, and the wanton violence brought upon by the title character upon the male lead goes above and beyond anything I've seen up to this point. I mean, seriously, she goes after the male lead with a freakishly large spiked bat and clobbers him in every single episode sending gallons of blood and bodily tissue spraying everywhere. Of course, she brings him back to life with a magical girl flourish. Additionally, while I'm a big fan of English dubs, this one is the pits. While I do give props to Wendee Lee and Johnny Bosch for trying, this dub just seems thrown together with actors who just so happened to be walking past or finishing other projects.

2. "Pilot Candidate" - I have to admit, this particular show will always hold a spot in my heart as one of my first "real" anime (that is, a show that is not a "Mon" spin-off like Digimon or Pokemon) but even I have to admit that "Pilot Candidate" is one of the biggest goofs in anime. The story can pretty much be described as "Evangelion in Space" as it "borrows" (read: rip off) much of the ideas that made Eva popular]
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby Psycho Molos » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:26 pm

No underpants for j00!! From now on thou shalt go commando!! Rofl
[color="Cyan"]Oh MOES! It's Czadek peddling the Black Pill for the Merv! Dark Evolution[/color]

Ich hasst Mein lieben.....
Psycho Molos

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:46 pm

Other than some mainstream stuff, the only one I can think of that I find bad for reasons other than offensive content or genre tastes is InuYasha. There is just so much repetitiveness, poor foreshadowing, and other problems that make me want to critique it and send it back for a second draft. It's one of those things where the idea is cool, but poorly executed.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Psycho Molos » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:04 pm

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1494218) wrote:Other than some mainstream stuff, the only one I can think of that I find bad for reasons other than offensive content or genre tastes is InuYasha. There is just so much repetitiveness, poor foreshadowing, and other problems that make me want to critique it and send it back for a second draft. It's one of those things where the idea is cool, but poorly executed.

gasp heresy
[color="Cyan"]Oh MOES! It's Czadek peddling the Black Pill for the Merv! Dark Evolution[/color]

Ich hasst Mein lieben.....
Psycho Molos

Postby Nate » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:19 pm

aliveinHim wrote:Chobits. It's perverted and stupid and all around bad.

Then again, I really only love the Chobits manga. Never finished the anime, though it didn't seem bad.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Atria35 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:15 pm

Nate (post: 1494241) wrote:Image

Then again, I really only love the Chobits manga. Never finished the anime, though it didn't seem bad.

I'm with Nate. The manga handled the questions and themes far better... and had less fanservice. Remember, the anime threw in an entire episode devoted to panties. There was nothing like that in the manga.
Atria35

Postby Midori » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:46 pm

I am assuming Worst Anime Ever means Worst Anime Ever That We're Allowed To Mention On CAA.

I don't know if it's the absolute worst, but my friend Cattysnap showed me (the first episode of) a really bad anime a while back just so we could laugh at it. It was called "Earl and Fairy" and the female lead was totally in love with the male guy's "Ash mauve eyes". It was totally like a laughably bad fan fiction.

Also Nate I love that macro.
Midori

Postby Okami » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:59 pm

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1494218) wrote:Other than some mainstream stuff, the only one I can think of that I find bad for reasons other than offensive content or genre tastes is InuYasha. There is just so much repetitiveness, poor foreshadowing, and other problems that make me want to critique it and send it back for a second draft. It's one of those things where the idea is cool, but poorly executed.

Looking back, I agree. The whole character of 'Okami' that has turned into my alias started in an Inuyasha roleplay about eight years ago. Thinking on it now, she was a laughably poor character then. :lol: Then again, Inuyasha was an awesome show when I was younger. Things have certainly changed as I've matured! ;)
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Solid Ronin » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:00 pm

Every Anime not on this list:

Fighting Spirits (Hajime no Ippo)
Giant Robo
Legend f The Galactic Heroes
Ghost in The Shell SAC
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Big O
Fist of The North star
Solid Ronin

Postby Nate » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:52 pm

Atria35 wrote:I'm with Nate. The manga handled the questions and themes far better... and had less fanservice.

I agree that the manga handled the themes better. It seems to be pretty standard that practically all of CLAMP's stuff is serious and interesting in manga form and goofy and ridiculous in anime form. Like CCS had gorgeous art and really heartwarming scenes between Tomoyo/Sakura in the manga. The anime had a pointless cousin for Syaoran and goofy moments everywhere. I still like the CCS anime but it's so vastly different from what the manga was like.

Same with MKR, and though I haven't seen it, I'd be willing to bet Tsubasa was handled the same way. I just don't get it.

As far as the manga having less fanservice...? I don't think that's true. Chii got naked quite a bit in the manga, and her breasts are clearly visible in countless scenes. Television standards prevented her breasts from ever being fully shown in the anime, though. The manga also puts quite a bit more emphasis on the power switch than the anime does I think (this ties into why the anime has a vastly different resolution than the manga, and I think the manga's ending is far superior).
Remember, the anime threw in an entire episode devoted to panties. There was nothing like that in the manga.

To be fair, there was a scene where Hideki came in and started ranting about having a difficult time buying the panties, but it was more an "off-screen" thing as opposed to the anime having an episode devoted to it.

Anyway.

While I won't say it's the worst anime on its own merits, as far as terrible anime coming from great manga, the Love Hina anime is atrocious. It's a crime against the series name. The manga was fantastic and wonderful, and the anime was just garbage compared to the manga, pure garbage. Everything about the anime is just awful. The character design is eye-gougingly ugly compared to Ken Akamatsu's art, and the desire to have WACKY ADVENTURES in the anime compared to the manga's slice-of-life style was a huge mistake. Also all the anime-specific characters are annoying and dumb.

Nate

Postby Yamamaya » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:18 am

The biggest problem I had with the Chobits anime was how boring it was. It was pretty mediocre slice of life where they would spend entire episodes dedicated to uninteresting circumstances.

Then they tried to throw in some PLOT in the last few episodes and it just fell flat on its face.

And from what I know, the manga has a bit more fanservice and sexual elements than the anime.

Solid Ronin (post: 1494288) wrote:Every Anime not on this list:

Giant Robo
Ghost in The Shell SAC
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Big O
Fist of The North star

Yamamaya

Postby Wallachia » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:54 pm

Solid Ronin (post: 1494288) wrote:Every Anime not on this list:

Giant Robo
Ghost in The Shell SAC
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Big O
Fist of The North star
Slayers
Gunbuster
Kaiji
Darker than Black
Cromartie High School
Mushishi
Trigun
Lupin III
Aria
Tentai Senshi Sunred
Planetes
Spice and Wolf

I totally agree with you. [SIZE="1"]Wait a minute...[/SIZE]

Well, putting that aside: I'm not a fan of Elfen Lied. Still, I wouldn't call anything the worst anime ever. Maybe the worst I've personally seen due to my tastes, but...

Mars of Destruction

Rated 2.691/10 (by 2,827 users) on MAL and 4.76/10 (weighted) on anidb.
Truly, this must be the most philosophical and intellectually stimulating anime of all time.

Wallachia

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:02 pm

I would say that it's a three-way tie between the Nadesico movie, Final Fantasy: Legend of the Crystals and the X movie.

I would talk about why they're so bad, but I have made every effort to erase them from my memory.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby MightiMidget » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:42 pm

Wallachia (post: 1494493) wrote:Image
Mars of Destruction

Rated 2.691/10 (by 2,827 users) on MAL and 4.76/10 (weighted) on anidb.
Truly, this must be the most philosophical and intellectually stimulating anime of all time.

HA! I am tempted to watch that now. xD
MightiMidget

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:57 pm

I'm very into Gothic stuff, so as you can imagine, I enjoy dark and creepy stuff. I also like whimsical and melancholic stuff. I can handle lots of violence. There are very few things that freak me out *exceptionally*. However, watching cute little anthropomorphic animals chop each other up alive and eat each other would definitely be among the things that do. Therefore, the award for "Worst Anime Ever" from me would go to Cat Soup.

Runners up... Eh well, the premise of Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch is cute, but the overall story is pretty lame. Most of the characters are super annoying. Plus, magical girls fighting by singing songs that hurt their opponents' ears? My gosh... The manga's even worse. So I'll give that second place.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby MomentOfInertia » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:04 pm

If I discount the Pokemon etc. shows I have to agree. InuYasha is not really a bad show, it's just slow, rambling, unpolished, and spends way too much time retelling previous events.
... And the fact that Adult Swim runs it right after FMA:Brotherhood doesn't help, nether did the episode sequencing fowl-ups a few months ago.

Of course I can't really give a good opinion on this topic since I haven't watched that many anime, and the ones I have I watched online or on TV]Bleach's[/I] plot moves at (at best)1/3 the rate of FMA:B's. XD
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Yamamaya » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:11 pm

The first Hellsing anime was terrible.

The only thing good about it was the atmosphere. Everything else, from the stories to the characters was very mediocre. Even the small amount of the manga it adapted it screwed up.

Thankfully, Hellsing Ultimate is a lot better and adapts the manga rather than going off in its own direction like the first anime did after episode 4.
Yamamaya

Postby Juliannesan » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:30 pm

Boys Be
Myself;Yourself
Rumbling Hearts
Sentimental Journey
They aren't perhaps "the worst ever" but I definitely didn't like them at all.
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby Yoshi » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:22 pm

MomentOfInertia (post: 1494509) wrote:... And the fact that Adult Swim runs it (Inuyasha) right after FMA:Brotherhood doesn't help, nether did the episode sequencing fowl-ups a few months ago.

Isn't Kekkaishi right after FullMetal Alchemist?

Anyways, though, for me there is only one universal answer to this question:

APOCALYPSE ZERO!

(Seriously, I'm surprised no one mentioned this sooner...)

Yoshi
DON'T SETTLE -- STAY RUGGED!
Yoshi

Postby MomentOfInertia » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:25 pm

Yoshi (post: 1494597) wrote:Isn't Kekkaishi right after FullMetal Alchemist?

Anyways, though, for me there is only one universal answer to this question:

APOCALYPSE ZERO!

(Seriously, I'm surprised no one mentioned this sooner...)

Yoshi

Later on.

battletech (post: 1493692) wrote:adultswim Saturdays Aug. 6 - Sep. 3

12:00 am Bleach (new)

12:30 am Durarara!! (new)

1:00 am FMA : B (new)

1:30 am Kekkaishi

2:00 am Cowboy Bebop

2:30 am Cowboy Bebop

3:00 am Ghost In The Shell

3:30 am Ghost In The Shell

4:00 am Bleach (same as 12:00)

4:30 am Durarara!! (same as 12:30)

5:00 am FMA : B (same as 1:00) <------

5:30 am Inuyasha <------
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby ADXC » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:22 pm

Tokko. Nuff' said.
ADXC

Postby samurai10 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:39 am

Inu Yasha was pretty good back in the day, but as it continued it got worse and worse. :<

Chibi Vampire was pretty awful. So was Blue Dragon. Enough said.
"I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia." ~The Silver Chair

"You can close your eyes to the things you don't want to see, but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel." ~Johnny Depp

"MOES! Sign up and sig down!"

[color="Red"]@)[/color][color="SeaGreen"]}~`,~ [/color]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Sami-The warrior pokemon

This pokemon is stout in stature, but extremely loyal. it's head and ears make the shape of a samurai helmet. the scales from said helmet can be pulled out and used as kunai.
samurai10

Location: You're crazy if you think I'll tell you where I live.

Postby aliveinHim » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:08 am

I still don't like Chobits. I personally found Soul Eater a little cheesy but not horrible. I think it's funny but Black Star is such a cheesy character and he has a super annoying voice. The original Pokemon was kinda stupid.
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:16 am

aliveinHim (post: 1494699) wrote:Black Star is such a cheesy character and he has a super annoying voice.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:12 am

I've only ever seen 0.02 seconds of it but Reign: The Conqueror wins worst ever on looks alone.

I... I think two of these are meant to be female.

And just, LOL.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Nate » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:20 am

aliveinHim wrote:I still don't like Chobits.

I don't think anyone here is saying you have to like it, we're just taking issue with it being called the worst anime ever. The art is decent enough and the plot, although kind of flimsy in the anime version, is at least competent, unlike many other anime that have been mentioned.

Nate

Postby bakura91 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:44 am

hmm worst anime? Well I since I usually watch a preview or trailer before I check out any show then deciding by the 1st episode whether I'll continue, I cant say watched all the way through a show I thought was worst ever. But the Type of anime/manga that I think is the worst are the ones that glorify Sexually Perverted themes, Some even mixing sexuality and violence. I think these type are a problem and in Japan have been part of real violent crimes among young people. Because (with the internet especially) many times Kids see these things now more than ever In America as well. I think anime fans in Japan and the U.S should speak out against these types of manga especially when they get in the hands of kids. (I wont name any names, any I can think of are probably on the Do not Discuss list though)
bakura91

Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews