Crunchy Roll no longer free!

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Crunchy Roll no longer free!

Postby rocklobster » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:37 am

Crunchy roll is no longer free! GRR! :waah!::waah!::waah!::waah!:
Anyway, we no longer have the best free source, if you want Crunchy Roll, you now have to pay a monthly fee. I guess advertising wasn't enough. So, from now on, folks, ignore my listing of crunchy roll stuff on my legal anime thread. Let's boycott by only watching Hulu and Youtube. Once I finish Lucky Star (I found a loophole thru Hulu's site), I will no longer use them. Take that, crunchy roll!
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:27 am

There isn't anything in their site news or on ANN, so I don't think they're becoming a complete pay service yet. Right now, they are just being sneaky/difficult and redirecting traffic to the Free Trail page if you click the Anime tab.

Instead of going through their Anime tab, which redirects you to the Free Trial page, try typing in the name of the anime you want to see in the search box. You should then be able to watch whatever you have been able to watch as a free member.

I went to the Kamisama Dolls page, and episode 3 is still marked with a star indicating the Premium Members/Free Members distinction.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:42 am

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1492603) wrote:Instead of going through their Anime tab, which redirects you to the Free Trial page, try typing in the name of the anime you want to see in the search box. You should then be able to watch whatever you have been able to watch as a free member.
Eh, if you want to browse to see what they have, if you just scroll down a little you can get to all of their anime. Once you get past their free-trial signup stuff they have you can just browse the selection like you could before.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:26 am

Yeah, but unfortunately you cannot sort the series by genre, year or alphabetically like before. This is a shame b/c I frequently used this feature of the site.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:01 am

I think a web programmer got lazy because it redirects you even if you have a premium account.

Also, lol watching stuff on hulu lol lol
blkmage

Postby Yamamaya » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:53 am

I have a sub on Crunchyroll. I have considered stopping subbing to crunchy for a while though.

Netflix's instant streaming animu collection grows more everyday.
Yamamaya

Postby Nate » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:59 am

rocklobster wrote:ignore my listing of crunchy roll stuff on my legal anime thread

Why? It's still legal.
Let's boycott by only watching Hulu and Youtube. Once I finish Lucky Star (I found a loophole thru Hulu's site), I will no longer use them. Take that, crunchy roll!

Yeah, screw you guys for trying to maintain the site's server costs and pay your employees! Capitalism is dumb!

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Atria35 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:15 am

^ I'm with Nate, here. Crunchyroll is still legal, whether or not you agree with them asking for a fee. I mean, you have to pay for Netflix, too, and ANN.net (beyind the first few eps), but those are also completely legal.

Paying for anime =/= illegal
Atria35

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:19 am

Aside from the discussions about legality/economics/etc.

Just to be clear: Crunchyroll still offers their free service.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:46 am

The design for CR hasn't changed at all on my computer...

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Yamamaya » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:18 pm

Atria35 (post: 1492657) wrote:^ I'm with Nate, here. Crunchyroll is still legal, whether or not you agree with them asking for a fee. I mean, you have to pay for Netflix, too, and ANN.net (beyind the first few eps), but those are also completely legal.

Paying for anime =/= illegal

Exactly. Although I think rock's thread was about accessing free and legal animu hence his post.

This thread is meaningless anyway since CR still offers their free service, which only offers animu a week after release at SD.
Yamamaya

Postby rocklobster » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:19 pm

Well, all I know is I signed in on my name and they told me I was no longer a member. I've been a free member for years and now I can no longer be one.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Furen » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:03 pm

Hah, jokes on the Americans, we Canadians never even got the option to use it XD [/immature]

Well, I'll help Rock boycott Crunchy Roll [/smart mouthing]

I'm sorry to all who used that site as it was a very large source [/sincerity]
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby samurai10 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:17 pm

Uh, yeah. I was a free member too, and then this morning, when I clicked the anime tab, it redirected me to the premium member thingy. I logged in though, and then searched the anime that I wanted to watch, and then it went to the anime.

I think it was just a short computer glitch though, 'cause it's back to normal. Browse popular anime, alphabetically, all that good stuff's back. No need to boycott Crunchyroll any more. ^_^

EDIT: Grr, I went back on CR and tried going on the tab, and it's back to what it was this morning. Wonder if something's wrong with CR....
"I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia." ~The Silver Chair

"You can close your eyes to the things you don't want to see, but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel." ~Johnny Depp

"MOES! Sign up and sig down!"

[color="Red"]@)[/color][color="SeaGreen"]}~`,~ [/color]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Sami-The warrior pokemon

This pokemon is stout in stature, but extremely loyal. it's head and ears make the shape of a samurai helmet. the scales from said helmet can be pulled out and used as kunai.
samurai10

Location: You're crazy if you think I'll tell you where I live.

Postby Nate » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:36 pm

Yamamaya wrote:Although I think rock's thread was about accessing free and legal animu hence his post.

Nope, it only says "legal," says nothing about "free" anywhere in that thread.

But anyway, nice to know that the original post is inaccurate, even though I don't use CR.

Nate

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:17 pm

I don't log into CR when I watch stuff there really, so maybe it's jsut an issue with memberships?

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby goldenspines » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:18 pm

Wait, who signs into Crunchyroll? I'm not a member (free or paid), but I still watch stuff on there for free (internet willing). :I
Maybe you have to pay to be a member now?

EDIT: adasdak Mech ninja'd me! D8
goldenspines

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:23 pm

I started up an ep of Hanasaka Iroha this mornign just fine, no sign in, one ad, so membership isn't required to watch things still.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby AngelicTotoro » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:39 pm

I just logged into my account and everything seems to be normal... =/
I can still watch anime for free as well, so maybe rocklobster is the victim of a crunchyroll joke. (not serious about that last part)
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Postby AnimeGirl » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:04 pm

CR is the same for me. It BETTER still be free! I still need to finish the ongoing Steins;Gate, and I am enjoying Ramen Fighter Miki (I already ordered the whole set from Amazon, nya!)

But as far as I can see, no change.
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Nate » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:11 pm

mech wrote:maybe it's jsut an issue with memberships?

goldenspines wrote:Maybe you have to pay to be a member now?

This sounds like a very plausible theory. I have no account on CR, and just to experiment I went on their website and clicked on a random series (Shugo Chara) and clicked on episode one. No problems at all, let me watch it just fine.

So yeah, from what I gather then, they're just getting rid of free membership, and if you want to be a member you have to pay. But you can still watch stuff for free if you don't want an account.

Nate

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:23 pm

I could see them dumping free memberships maybe... you don't need them to see a majority of their content anyhow, and it's a bunch of data to keep track of for... essentially no reason at all.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby bobmonkeys » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:28 pm

I have an account on there and its working just fine as a free membership.
bobmonkeys

Postby blkmage » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:13 pm

Well, having a free account essentially lets them hound you with free trial offers and other ways to entice you to give them monies.
blkmage

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:16 pm

That's true, so it's actually less than logical to eliminate free accounts.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby rocklobster » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:16 am

It appears I may have been mistaken. I just tried and everything worked fine. Hmm?

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:47 am

Works for me too. Jumped the gun a bit?
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:35 am

I'm still trying to figure out how boycotting a formerly free service does anything.
Fish and Chips

Postby samurai10 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:04 am

As I said before, it was probably just a computer glitch that lasted a couple of hours. ^^/
"I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia." ~The Silver Chair

"You can close your eyes to the things you don't want to see, but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel." ~Johnny Depp

"MOES! Sign up and sig down!"

[color="Red"]@)[/color][color="SeaGreen"]}~`,~ [/color]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Sami-The warrior pokemon

This pokemon is stout in stature, but extremely loyal. it's head and ears make the shape of a samurai helmet. the scales from said helmet can be pulled out and used as kunai.
samurai10

Location: You're crazy if you think I'll tell you where I live.

Postby Yamamaya » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:09 am

Fish and Chips (post: 1492909) wrote:I'm still trying to figure out how boycotting a formerly free service does anything.

It doesn't do anything. If you're not paying, they probably could care less about free users other than bringing in ad revenue.

You wouldn't hurt them any more by downloading a torrent than you would if you just watched the series on youtube or hulu.
Yamamaya

Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews