Crunchy Roll no longer free!

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Yoshi » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:19 am

Wait a minute--aren't *modsnip* and *modsnip* both better than Crunchyroll, anyway? No ads, no membership required, many mirrors, et cetera... or am I just missing something? To each their own, I guess...
DON'T SETTLE -- STAY RUGGED!
Yoshi

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:34 am

Neither of those sites legally liscences shows, Crunchyroll does.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby rocklobster » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:18 pm

In the long run, Yoshi, legal is better. The studios would love you if you legally streamed it
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:56 pm

Actually, they'd rather you just bought their stuff.
Fish and Chips

Postby rocklobster » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:59 pm

Well, the main reason I started going the legal route was I went to an illegal site a few times, and each time, I got a nasty virus in the computer. After that, I decided no more illegal sites for me.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Nate » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:07 pm

I'm having a difficult time determining how your post is related to Fish's post.

Also, non-crappy antivirus programs installed on computers are pretty useful.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby battletech » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:49 pm

I'm always logged in and it's working fine for me. I'm confused. Maybe rocklobster has been banned.
[img]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/bluebattletech/amuro_ray_emblem1_zps864eefb8.png[/img]
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:28 pm

Nate (post: 1493004) wrote:I'm having a difficult time determining how your post is related to Fish's post.
Rock: I view legal streaming anime b/c it makes the studios happy.
Fish: It would really make them happy if you buy their products, moreso than if you just stream their stuff.
Rock: Well the main reason I switched to legal streaming anime, rather than making the studios happy, is actually because streaming anime illegally has caused my computer to become infected with a virus. Legal streaming does not do this.
Also, non-crappy antivirus programs installed on computers are pretty useful.
Calm down there, pal. No need to be snarky.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Nate » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:41 pm

TheSubtleDoctor wrote:Rock: I view legal streaming anime b/c it makes the studios happy.
Fish: It would really make them happy if you buy their products, moreso than if you just stream their stuff.
Rock: Well the main reason I switched to legal streaming anime, rather than making the studios happy, is actually because streaming anime illegally has caused my computer to become infected with a virus. Legal streaming does not do this.

That still makes no sense. Fish is saying "The studios would be more happy if you bought DVDs." While legal streaming is there, the companies do not make as much money off of it as they do off of DVDs.

So I don't see how that relates to illegal streaming of anime. That wasn't even related to the exchange in the slightest. Fish was talking about DVDs and other merchandise, how did illegal streaming even get brought up?

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby rocklobster » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:26 am

Actually, I use the internet as a means of seeing if an anime is actually worth purchasing. And yes, I've actually purchased titles I watched online. I purchased Azumanga Daioh and Haibane Renmei. I've also purchased titles I watched on TV: Big O, Cowboy Bebop, Tenchi Universe, Silent Mobius, Trigun, and Rahxephon. The rest of my collection was rented before I bought it. I refuse to buy any DVD without viewing it first. I think it's impossible to like everything you watch. I know I don't.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Wolf-man » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:09 am

I don't ever use Crunchyroll since it became free. So even if this had been true it wouldn't have been to big of a deal to me. I like using (legal) youtube and Funimation/Hulu more anyway and Netflix instant is the best.
Wolf-man

Postby goldenspines » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:32 am

rocklobster (post: 1493127) wrote:Actually, I use the internet as a means of seeing if an anime is actually worth purchasing. And yes, I've actually purchased titles I watched online. I purchased Azumanga Daioh and Haibane Renmei. I've also purchased titles I watched on TV: Big O, Cowboy Bebop, Tenchi Universe, Silent Mobius, Trigun, and Rahxephon. The rest of my collection was rented before I bought it. I refuse to buy any DVD without viewing it first. I think it's impossible to like everything you watch. I know I don't.
This is a good idea; and can be executed with one exception: Giant Robo OVA. Whether you can find it legally to watch online (maybe Netflix has is?) or not, it needs to be bought.

Since some of us have dreadful internet that makes our options of watching anime legally online limited (my internet usually does not agree with buffering videos), talking to others (like members of CAA) who have seen a series and getting their thoughts on it before I go out and spend all my life savings on an anime is often more helpful and less time consuming than actually watching the series. XD;

Also, I want to get this thread back on topic, but I'm not sure what the topic was originally, since we have in fact established that CrunchyRoll is still free to the general public.
goldenspines

Postby blkmage » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:19 am

I give my money to Crunchyroll because they are the only service to acknowledge that there are countries that are not the United States of America.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:50 pm

blkmage (post: 1493152) wrote:there are countries that are not the United States of America
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Derek_Is_Me » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:52 pm

Odd. Because everytime I'm on crunchyroll its always free for me........Odd
Derek -The Daring Pokemon - A cool, totally awesome Pokemon that uses his power of song, medical skills and powers of cool to make others see things differently. He is not temperamental, but he likes to pull pranks and grins when you fall into his traps. Usually, he styles a fedora and prances around on all fours, he's all black with a white belly.

"Although I look into infinity. I only see the lords eyes, always shining upon my face and smiling in my heart. He will always be with me, no matter where I may go. Always watch over me lord. For I shall be eternal in your light."-Derek.
Derek_Is_Me

Location: Staring at you from your window outside. You have nice tastes in decor.

Oh, Really?

Postby Yoshi » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:04 pm

blkmage (post: 1493152) wrote:there are countries that are not the United States of America.

Toyama Koichi begs to differ!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGZqOkeYbB0

Everything is 'MERICA, apparently!

Yoshi
DON'T SETTLE -- STAY RUGGED!
Yoshi

Postby Gojira » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:27 pm

I honestly wouldn't mind paying for their service. I felt a little guilty not doing it anyway.
Gojira

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:30 pm

They're still making money by you watching stuff for free, you know?
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Yamamaya » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:32 pm

Yoshi (post: 1493275) wrote:Toyama Koichi begs to differ!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGZqOkeYbB0

Everything is 'MERICA, apparently!

Yoshi

I've seen vids of this guy before. He's basically the wackiest anarchist on the planet.

He's also very awesome.
Yamamaya

Postby blkmage » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:33 pm

He'll be so mad when he finds out he can't watch Hulu.
blkmage

Postby Atria35 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:35 am

erika (post: 1493387) wrote:That's really a bad news :(

If you had gone back a page, you would have seen that it's a mistake, they're still free, they were just being obnoxious with trying to get people to sign up and pay for membership.
Atria35

Postby battletech » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:18 am

If you could not view Crunchyroll free then Blue Exorcist would be members only. It's one of the shows that is always free from the first day it comes out.
[img]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/bluebattletech/amuro_ray_emblem1_zps864eefb8.png[/img]
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:26 pm

I think we've established Crunchyroll is still available for free like before, with extremely minor if any changes. Is there a way to alter this thread (by locking or title modification, maybe) so people won't keep getting the wrong idea?
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby rocklobster » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:33 pm

I'm all for locking this, mods.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby MomentOfInertia » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:47 pm

Agreed.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby goldenspines » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:33 pm

Or y'all can stop posting in it and move on to better and brighter things like the new Fall anime line-up: http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=59544
goldenspines

Previous

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews