Knowing About Anime and Watching Anime: Two Different Things

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Knowing About Anime and Watching Anime: Two Different Things

Postby Rri X » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:12 pm

I became interested in the style of art used in Anime and Manga after I was introduced to the Pokémon video game series. Even though it's been quite literally years, I still have yet to find a serious anime that I feel that I can watch. I'm super sensitive when it comes to what I watch, so much so, I'm starting to wonder whether or not I'm TOO careful.

And yet, somehow, I know a lot about several major anime, I actually knew who people were cosplaying as at my local con, and my friends love anime. Are there any here on CAA that feel the same way?
Rri X

Postby Atria35 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:27 pm

EDIT: Misunderstood what you were saying. No, because what bothers me in terms of content is, well, I don't have an issue with the vast majority of anime.

But if you're around people that talk about a certain anime a lot, then you're going to pick up a lot about it, no matter what. The same goes for tv shows and movies and books- I've experienced it with every medium. However, I have learned that no matter what I think I know about an anime, watching it is always different from how I imagine it. I always am wrong about something.
Atria35

Postby Danderson » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:18 pm

I'm similar quite similar...

The last anime I sat down to watch was Soul Eater and that was near the beginning of the year, but I didn't get past episode 7...(not because it was uninteresting...I just didnt have the time and felt like I was giving up other important things for it)

As a filmmaker, I absolutely love the style of anime...particularly the "camera angles" that render a 2D drawing into a 3D field....as well as that sense of power you feel from every attack (despite the exaggeration)...

...But, usually, I've found it hard to get into most series because of other parts of anime that I'm not fond of (battles that last 10 episodes or more, moves that require a ton of explanation, bratty characters, inappropriate outfits, the music, etc)...If anything, I enjoy watching well-made amv's as it gives me more of the adrenaline of the combat then the actual series does....

But, yeah...that's me...
Danderson

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews