New Ghibli movie: From Up on Poppy Hill

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

New Ghibli movie: From Up on Poppy Hill

Postby rocklobster » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:06 am

*runs around with childlike glee*
New Miyazaki movie!
click here
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby bigsleepj » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:07 am

It looks beautiful, and as a fan I'm looking forward to it, but I see it is not directed by Hayao Miyazaki but his son Goro, who last helmed the Earthsea adaptation.

There is also another film called Arrietty, which is coming to the UK end July and to the US in January or February. It is based on The Borrowers books. Its directed by Hiromasa Yonebayashi and this is his first movie as head director.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Nanao » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:35 pm

I love Studio Ghibli movies and am definitely looking forward to this one. The artwork is incredible. Somehow I missed the Arrietty movie. It looks pretty cool too.
[color="RoyalBlue"]My help comes from the Lord, maker of heaven and earth.[/color] Psalm 121:2
[color="Pink"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color] Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
Nanao

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:04 pm

I tend to like the non-Miyazaki Ghibli films more, so I'd really like to see this. Also, I've been looking forward to Arrietty for some time now--I heard they were making one a number of months ago and hadn't heard anything since then! I loved The Borrowers growing up, so I'll be interested to see what they do with the story. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Atria35 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:23 pm

I haven't seen the Borrowers movie yet (though I really am not that fond of The Borrowers in the first place). But I'm really looking forward to Poppy Hill- it looks great! Even if it isn't by Miyazaki.
Atria35

Postby AngelicTotoro » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:33 pm

Studio Ghibli films are always amazing, just some are more then others.
I'm definitely looking forward to this since romance is one of my favorite genres. ^^
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Postby TWWK » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:28 am

For as much as it matters, I saw a lot of possibility in Goro Miyazaki from viewing Tales from Earthsea, even if it the film was ultimately uneven with a poor conclusion. So I have high hopes for this movie - and it certainly looks amazing.
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby Juliannesan » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:32 pm

Excited for both! Look great!
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:56 pm

Yay, more non-Miyazaki Ghibli. I am always up for some of that.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:19 am

I-I-I was just about to mention that it's not like Goro Miyazaki has anything to his name besides a bad movie.

It's actually pretty dumb that he even directed Earthsea because he wasn't even an animator or involved on any level. He was the curator of the museum, which angers me, because there are surely quite a few talented people at Ghibli that could be given a chance at making a great movie, but they choose a guy who hasn't actually worked with animation.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby blkmage » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:27 am

I'm hearing that direction was pretty good, but writing was more problematic, likely due to the nature of the source material. Apparently the themes and story mean it's not a movie for kids.

Also, it got beaten by Pokemon.
blkmage

Postby ChristianKitsune » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:49 pm

Well, Goro did create one of the most entertaining villians of all time...At least the English dub of Earthsea, he was entertaining... XD (Especially at the end. LOLWHUT?)

But this looks nice, and maybe it will be something that will help build Goro's resume?
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews